Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

The best part of impostor syndrome is it doesn't end when you get the job you didn't think you'd get, it only gets even worse!

Yesterday was my first day on the new job. Filled out some HR paperwork and attended a HR meeting, got my laptop and set it up, then got a couple bugs assigned to me.

I feel like I am doomed to be fired -- while I have picked through the giant codebase without help and found what files are the ones I should be working in, I haven't resolved these bugs right off the bat. Despite the fact that I didn't start on it until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, it's my first day, and I don't even officially have access to the git repos yet (a coworker had to sneakernet me a clone on a thumbdrive).

I had to do a programming exercise at an interview in a language I never used before, and it took me five hours. Most of it was me wondering why perfectly good code wasn't compiling and ended up with me thinking I should go back to college and try to become some kind of engineer instead. I did finish it though, and it all worked. I realized after the fact that the exercise was designed to be difficult and to resist traditional solutions. As a program, it was so badly designed that I assumed there must be some extra functionality in PHP that I didn't know about. In reality I just needed to use -> instead of . for pretty much everything.

My self-confidence issues don't have to do with my grades, I was one of the best programmers at my school and I knew it all along. I just feel like my school has a very poor program. It's hard for me to figure out exactly where I am in comparison to other programmers. I would leave class having not learned a thing because I already knew everything taught that day, only to be completely stumped by the problems friends from the internet would be working on in their personal projects, who were lamenting the fact that they weren't skilled enough to handle a college degree. So I didn't think my grades were mistakes, or anything. But I still realize that my education wasn't top notch and that's something I need to make up for. I still don't know if I'll actually be able to get a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Just the fact that you're reading CoC to any significant extent and care about how good you actually are makes you better than 90%+ of doofuses working in this industry.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Hey guys, I have successfully passed the first interview for a job as a C# developer at a software company. It went pretty well, and now I have a test they want me to take. If I can pass the test, then I get another interview with (I think) the department heads. I have impostor syndrome pretty bad, since I graduated back in may with most of my experience in java and have been at an internship trying to get a train wreck of a project off of github working since. I feel like I can talk the talk, but am not nearly so sure about putting it down on paper in any legitimate fashion.

What are the questions usually like about linked lists and algorithms? Are they along the lines of "Write a linked list" or more "Here is a linked list and you need to make sure it doesn't loop back around on itself even though the only data in it is non-unique integers"? Again I can say well, add a bool to the node so it can easily be verified as new, but coding that in eh...

It varies so widely from company to company that it's impossible to say. Did they actually tell you what the content of the test would be?

Also, if you're going into a job not knowing the language they work in, and they're aware of and comfortable with that, it's fine... they're expecting to teach you.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I got a message from a recruiter via stackoverflow careers saying I'd be a great fit for a web applications position at amazon. I list exactly one item in my "dislikes" section of my SO careers profile: web-applications. :v:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
loving keywords, how do they work?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

astr0man posted:

I got a message from a recruiter via stackoverflow careers saying I'd be a great fit for a web applications position at amazon. I list exactly one item in my "dislikes" section of my SO careers profile: web-applications. :v:

My favorite ones are the senior positions which state a requirement of 5+ years. C'mon!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If you have a programming project that you might try to turn into something you sell how do you share that code with a place you're applying too? Obviously you won't want it on github.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Ithaqua posted:

It varies so widely from company to company that it's impossible to say. Did they actually tell you what the content of the test would be?

Also, if you're going into a job not knowing the language they work in, and they're aware of and comfortable with that, it's fine... they're expecting to teach you.

They told me what to expect, an algorithms question, a linked list question, a few SQL queries to write, some broken code I would have to fix, and something else I'm forgetting. Its an hour long timed test and no one ever finishes it.

Two of my graduating classmates did internships there, then got hired upon graduating. Another classmate failed the interview and they gave him a job a month later overseeing sending out patches. The company really likes my school, so I have a pretty good shot if I can pass this test.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

If you have a programming project that you might try to turn into something you sell how do you share that code with a place you're applying too? Obviously you won't want it on github.

Sneakernet?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

It's not the most elegant of solutions but you could just put up a dropbox shared folder. Otherwise, you could just put a placeholder in your application/resume saying "source available upon request" and send a zip/tarball/whatever when they do.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Doesn't BitBucket let you have free private repos?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

KidDynamite posted:

If you making money on this project is dependent on the source remaining closed, then you probably won't be making much money with project anyway.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well that was quite possibly the worst interview I've ever had and everything the recruiter suggested I read up on wasn't even touched upon in the interview :suicide:
Was a lot of more lower level questions than I've ever had to work with or my education ever touched on

Recruiter emphasized data structures and multithreading, most of the questions were all about garbage collection, stuff about basic .NET types (mostly lots of questions about Object). Some quick questions about abstract classes versus interfaces which I did fine with, then lots of questions about Graphics objects and Drawing-related things in regards to the actual form itself. On the plus side, he went over all the answers to questions I was unable to answer so at least I learned a bit, but drat I feel like a total idiot after it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 21, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Well that was quite possibly the worst interview I've ever had and everything the recruiter suggested I read up on wasn't even touched upon in the interview :suicide:
Was a lot of more lower level questions than I've ever had to work with or my education ever touched on

Recruiter emphasized data structures and multithreading, most of the questions were all about garbage collection, stuff about basic .NET types (mostly lots of questions about Object). Some quick questions about abstract classes versus interfaces which I did fine with, then lots of questions about Graphics objects and Drawing-related things in regards to the actual form itself. On the plus side, he went over all the answers to questions I was unable to answer so at least I learned a bit, but drat I feel like a total idiot after it.

It sounds like they asked you a lot of bullshit trivia about hyper-specific things instead of getting a sense of your familiarity with the language and OO principles.

I'm curious to know more specifically what you were asked. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to derail.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 21, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

If you making money on this project is dependent on the source remaining closed, then you probably won't be making much money with project anyway.

Not sure why I'm responding to you but it's s specialized software for use in the trucking industry very targeted market. If it makes any money at all I'll be happy if not it will make my father's day to day easier but if this does end up being enterprise software I want to keep the code locked down for now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

Such as?

Didn't mean to submit my post already :doh: Went and editted it.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Can I get a resume critique? I'm currently trying to rebuild it from the terrible template I received in the business writing course I had to take to get my diploma. I really don't know what to emphasize, as all I have done other than school/capstone are small personal projects, and some intern work at a startup.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5j9ATgWPsCeSFRBNk9iWVlCTTA/edit?usp=sharing

I know its probably a long way from being usable, and I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
put the blurb about education near the bottom. remove the line cook and probably the sales job.

expand the intern section drastically.
expand the capstone project

get rid of the personal project section. maybe put them up on github if thats your thing.

also yeah format it better.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So people talk a lot about SF, Seattle etc. Being booming, but what about places outside of the u.s.? Surely the west coast isn't the only Shangri La for developers?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

FamDav posted:

put the blurb about education near the bottom. remove the line cook and probably the sales job.

expand the intern section drastically.
expand the capstone project

get rid of the personal project section. maybe put them up on github if thats your thing.

also yeah format it better.

Thanks. Understand the others, could use an example, as I've seen lots and lots of formatting styles mentioned here, and elsewhere online.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

So people talk a lot about SF, Seattle etc. Being booming, but what about places outside of the u.s.? Surely the west coast isn't the only Shangri La for developers?
London and Berlin both have plenty of dev jobs going.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mr. Crow posted:

There are certainly other places with lots of dev jobs. But average salaries in the main US tech hubs seem to be significantly higher than elsewhere (sometimes absurdly higher).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How's the market in Toronto?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i'm personally a fan of these two resumes from the OP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fhfx9l0kkwld6c/cicero_resume.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r6jwpoxvttdgxl/astr0man%20-%20resume.pdf

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sitting Bull posted:

Can I get a resume critique? I'm currently trying to rebuild it from the terrible template I received in the business writing course I had to take to get my diploma. I really don't know what to emphasize, as all I have done other than school/capstone are small personal projects, and some intern work at a startup.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5j9ATgWPsCeSFRBNk9iWVlCTTA/edit?usp=sharing

I know its probably a long way from being usable, and I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions.

This is... not great. Those personal projects are really too rinky-dink to be worth mentioning. I know if you're just starting out you don't really have anything to go by, but if I'm hiring I really don't care about toy projects like that. I think maybe pick the most complicated one or two and leave off the rest or just link to your github. What about something along these lines:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oyExIcpWcrPyU2P_c_tVM679r105HiPS1AVdo9VvyB4/edit?pli=1

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Thanks! I will definitely run with that. The inclusion of the projects was just because I really didn't have anything else to fill the space with, but I see why they're not worth mentioning.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sitting Bull posted:

Thanks! I will definitely run with that. The inclusion of the projects was just because I really didn't have anything else to fill the space with, but I see why they're not worth mentioning.

The toy projects aren't necessarily a bad thing, but they're the kind of thing I expect someone to have done in their first or second year of schooling. You should really pick a "big boy" project to work on in your spare time and list that. It doesn't ever have to go anywhere or amount to anything useful, it just has to be a fully-fledged software project that you can talk about in detail, especially with respect to implementation. Something that other people might actually use (if it was ever finished). I've had plenty of interviewers take a fairly keen interest in my go-nowhere side projects.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
It's great that people with experience are giving feedback on people's CVs/resumes. I wasn't going to post mine (I don't mean to take any comments away from the ones people have already posted!), but I'm seeing a lot of differences and that's worrying. Because of the Word formatting, instead of a Google Doc I uploaded a screenshot here.

A couple of general questions to help both me and others:

1) For keyword scraping: my resume includes a horizontal line graphic, nonstandard bullets, and tables inside of tables (I know you're not supposed to use tables for formatting and if this was HTML I'd use <div>). Would any of that throw off a typical keyword scraping algorithm?

2) How much resume-ese is expected? Good resumes seem to be primarily experienced-focused so they don't need things like "dedicated and multifaceted individual," but when you don't have that experience how do you compensate?

3) If you're not satisfied with the quality of work on a project is it better to still provide it and discuss the flaws when they arise, or omit it entirely? For example, during my internship I was one of the students who developed https://www.punchersmark.com (I'm the one with the worst picture!); knowing that the site has issues if asked about my internship do I willingly direct potential employers to it, or talk about the experience without giving anything concrete?

Sitting Bull posted:

Not that I'm really in a position to talk, but the biggest part on most resumes tends to be your "Work History" section. What did you do for your internship? You could expand on both your responsibilities and accomplishments, even if it's soft skills like working well in a team or adapting to a new environment or etc. Cicero's example included Advanced Electives so if you've had classes you've particularly enjoyed or thought were valuable it might be worthwhile to add those.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Diamond bullet points? Where on earth do you people find these resume templates?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

CatsPajamas posted:

It's great that people with experience are giving feedback on people's CVs/resumes. I wasn't going to post mine (I don't mean to take any comments away from the ones people have already posted!), but I'm seeing a lot of differences and that's worrying. Because of the Word formatting, instead of a Google Doc I uploaded a screenshot here.
The bullet points look weird and big. I hate TNR. Work experience should probably be up higher. Maybe change "PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE" to just "EXPERIENCE" and replace the movie gallery item with a description of some project you've done, maybe one out of class, and make it sound complicated and snazzy.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

CatsPajamas posted:

It's highly recommended to order things by importance, with the most important at the top. For a recent grad, this is usually Education, Work Experience, Technical Skills, then Related Courses. Awards are nice, but no one really gives a poo poo about them (and normally they have no idea how (in)significant they are).

No one's going to read the paragraphs beneath each job. I skipped right past them to get to the bullet points before I realized the best stuff was in the lines before them. Break those lines out into bullet points. Also, ditto rrrrrrrrrrrt, get some standard bullets. Don't mention that you turned down an offer to be store manager. I'm sure it was a good choice, but it's largely irrelevant.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
^^^

quote:

Turned down Store Manager offer to pursue academic goals

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on a resume. I mean that it the nicest way possible. Yeesh.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

CatsPajamas posted:

A couple of general questions to help both me and others:

1) For keyword scraping: my resume includes a horizontal line graphic, nonstandard bullets, and tables inside of tables (I know you're not supposed to use tables for formatting and if this was HTML I'd use <div>). Would any of that throw off a typical keyword scraping algorithm?

2) How much resume-ese is expected? Good resumes seem to be primarily experienced-focused so they don't need things like "dedicated and multifaceted individual," but when you don't have that experience how do you compensate?

3) If you're not satisfied with the quality of work on a project is it better to still provide it and discuss the flaws when they arise, or omit it entirely? For example, during my internship I was one of the students who developed https://www.punchersmark.com (I'm the one with the worst picture!); knowing that the site has issues if asked about my internship do I willingly direct potential employers to it, or talk about the experience without giving anything concrete?

Not that I'm really in a position to talk, but the biggest part on most resumes tends to be your "Work History" section. What did you do for your internship? You could expand on both your responsibilities and accomplishments, even if it's soft skills like working well in a team or adapting to a new environment or etc. Cicero's example included Advanced Electives so if you've had classes you've particularly enjoyed or thought were valuable it might be worthwhile to add those.

Header: You should either center everything or left align everything. Your name first, and then two lines to fit what you have up there. You don't really need to provide your "full" address and you don't need to have both a cell and home number. Just list the cell number.

Profile: Get rid of this section

Professional Experience: This should go next instead of Education.
Your sections are "OK" but could be more descriptive. I can't tell whether you were just a warm body for your company or if you actually did something useful. If you can come up with performance numbers on something you did like, "Did X which led to a Y% increase in revenue/visitors" that would be way better. Also I would probably list the languages you used at the internship/jobs. I mean entry-level programmers generally aren't going to get grilled because they don't know language Y but it's probably going to help your chances if you already have experience in the language the company uses. Honestly I'm not sure if other companies do the same thing, but I would say you should at least do that for companies that are looking for those specific language skills. Working at a movie theater is probably fine to leave in, but I would take out the "turn down store manager" job. I think reading that it would elicit a kind of, "so what do you want, a medal?" reaction. It's just completely irrelevant to their job position.

Technical Skills: Looks fine, probably would get rid of the (Fall 2013) text though.

Relevant Coursework: If it's not relevant to the job you're applying to, don't add anything here. If you haven't taken a Data Structures and Algorithm course I am probably going to find out within the first 5 seconds of questioning you. List any "Project" classes that you took at your school.

Education: Just list the school you graduated from. No need to list Transfer/Community college.
Awards: Good

As for resume scanning. What I would do is open up notepad or textedit and make a "text only" version of your resume. Use this one when you visit sites that ask you to paste in your resume.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also please make your bullets and text line up, it looks really messy at the moment. Don't use tables, use tab stops. The impression you're giving out before even reading any words is that you don't even know your way around MS Word properly.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

CatsPajamas posted:

If by 'discuss flaws' you mean, 'tell your interviewers how you would do X differently and why', then yeah, it would be hugely beneficial for you. If, on the other hand you meant, "Haha, this page is kind of buggy, I just hacked it together", then maybe you shouldn't do that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I took a stab at anonymizing one of my old resumes just for shits. What does everyone think? I'm not totally keen on some of the responsibilities I have listed since some of them seem kind of trivial compared the level of responsibility I have these days, so I may revise that section.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I don't care much about anonymizing my Resume (I have it up on the interwebs anyway and I don't say anything on SA that could get me in trouble anyhow) so here is a half-hearted attempt at removing PII from my resume. It's not particularly software-focused but it has served me well thus far. People tend to like my lumping of real-world and computer languages together.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1oBf5uRiLVZWk9YeXVqaTR5a1U/edit?usp=sharing

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
You guys know there's a huge resume/CV thread in the business forum, right? Because most of the problems with the resumes posted so far aren't technical ones.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

coffeetable posted:

You guys know there's a huge resume/CV thread in the business forum, right? Because most of the problems with the resumes posted so far aren't technical ones.

So there is! Thanks for the link coffeetable, that OP has some good advice. In general, it does seem like resume advice is geared towards people who have an extended work history (rightfully so since those are the people businesses will want to hire).

General advice on resumes and job hunting will probably be very helpful, but is there anything specific to the technical field that's different from the general case here?

Edit: Just finished reading all the comments. Thanks for all the feedback you guys! Along with implementing some of the other ideas, I'll knock out all the formatting and have a separate text version (thanks for the suggestion Strong Sauce!).

Not sure if we're going to continue the resume chat now with coffeetable's link, but didn't want to leave rrrrrrrrrrrt hanging.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I took a stab at anonymizing one of my old resumes just for shits. What does everyone think? I'm not totally keen on some of the responsibilities I have listed since some of them seem kind of trivial compared the level of responsibility I have these days, so I may revise that section.

Since you have the work experience it's good that it comprises the bulk of the resume. You did a good job mentioning a lot of different languages and technologies by name, which is good for keyword scrapers I'm sure. The other real professional resumes posted in this thread didn't have a reference section though, so perhaps instead of that you could add a project you've worked on? Or expound on your work experience more.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I have a couple more questions:

1) What kind of stuff is asked in a typical technical phone screen (after the initial phone screen with a recruiter)? I didn't get the normal interview process for my current job so I don't even really know what's coming.

2) From submitting your application to getting an offer, how long does the interviewing process typically take in everyone's experience?