Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

beefnoodle posted:

What happens if you turn off Live Updating in the playlist's definition?

It ceases to be a smart playlist (nothing would ever change from when it was turned off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Betjeman posted:

Right, because you're not playing the smart playlist. If you were playing directly from the playlist, it would die.

Okay, sure. But I only do this so I can play the playlist, and then switch over back to the playlist I normally listen to. That, or you could clear out the up next list after that if you just wanted to play what you were rating and then stop.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I didn't find a "general questions"-thread, but this comes pretty close. I'm basically looking for a media player that let's me bookmark a position in a track, so I can continue listening at a later date. Rockbox does this on my portable mp3-player, but I couldn't find a similar option in Foobar 2000.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

midnightclimax posted:

I didn't find a "general questions"-thread, but this comes pretty close. I'm basically looking for a media player that let's me bookmark a position in a track, so I can continue listening at a later date. Rockbox does this on my portable mp3-player, but I couldn't find a similar option in Foobar 2000.

iTunes will remember the track position if you set the "Remember playback position" in the file info/properties.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Suniikaa posted:

iTunes will remember the track position if you set the "Remember playback position" in the file info/properties.

Ah ok, ty! I'll check that out.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, why is iTunes just straight up refusing to add things to my library? No error messages, no notifications, drag-and-drop doesn't work, signing out of the store doesn't work, etc.

I have the same problem. After some googling I think it's something to do with ID3 tags, but not sure how to fix it.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I have an issue which seems to be fairly common, and any solutions I've found so far on the 'net haven't worked.

Using Album view in iTunes, I find that tracks that show up correctly on my phone seem to be split over several albums of the same name in Album view.

E.G. 'From the Cradle' has 15 tracks and is displayed fine on the iPhone. In my iTunes library Album view it appears as 5 copies of 'From the Cradle' with the 15 tracks spread unevenly through the 5 albums.

It's obviously a metadata issue, as I've used TuneUp in the past. Is there a simple fix? I have tried the View Info and editing the Artist, Album Artist, and Album fields with no joy. I've done the same with the Sorting Tab under 'Get Info'.

Thoughts appreciated.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

binarysmurf posted:

I have an issue which seems to be fairly common, and any solutions I've found so far on the 'net haven't worked.

Using Album view in iTunes, I find that tracks that show up correctly on my phone seem to be split over several albums of the same name in Album view.

E.G. 'From the Cradle' has 15 tracks and is displayed fine on the iPhone. In my iTunes library Album view it appears as 5 copies of 'From the Cradle' with the 15 tracks spread unevenly through the 5 albums.

It's obviously a metadata issue, as I've used TuneUp in the past. Is there a simple fix? I have tried the View Info and editing the Artist, Album Artist, and Album fields with no joy. I've done the same with the Sorting Tab under 'Get Info'.

Thoughts appreciated.

Can you under Album view (on your PC) select all the tracks, get info for the files, and then try and see if there's any info in CD # of # ?

If so, try and clear that, and see what happens then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Or just select them all, add a space or some extra character at the end of the title, save it, and then change it back. That always groups stuff for me.

If you do that and the album field is blank, then you know that at least one file between all the ones selected was not the same, and you change it again. They can have different track number of X, different year, different CD X of X, etc. (Compilations, a second edition released later with more tracks, etc.) But if the album name is different it will split them up.

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to change or blank out the "Sort By" fields too. Also check that one track isn't marked as "Part of a Compilation" while the rest of the album is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I asked a while ago about how to hide embarrassing purchased music from from showing up in my iTMS Purchased page and found out you can just click on the 'x' to the far right of the song. That's great, but how do I redownload these purchased songs then if I've deleted it from my computer? Obviously it doesn't show up in my Purchased page anymore, and when I go to the album the button is a grayed out "Purchased" button but it doesn't let me download it.

e: Never mind, found the answer.

e2: Is there a way to completely disable the automatic Purchased playlist? I delete it but it comes back every time I download a song.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 16, 2013

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

Thoughts appreciated.

I've found tuneup to completely destroy my meta tags and do things such as this. I prefer just to edit everything by hand now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

Other possible issues:

1) Inconsistent disc numbers. Disk 1 is separate from disk blank.
2) Trailing spaces on Artist Names or Album Name.

I have also seen the case where everything was correct as far as metadata, but iTunes would only be fixed by removing and re-adding the tracks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

IUG posted:

I use Bowtie, but it won't do ½ stars.

For rating previous songs, you could just go to the "Up Next" list in the screen for what's playing. Click on that list, and then click on the clock to show what was previously played. You can rate from there.

That, or I use this playlist:

I play an album, and after the song is played, it stays in the playlist until I rate it. Songs don't show up until I listen to them 3 times, so I can get a general feel for the song before rating.

Do you have a solution for where the moment I rate a song it disappears from the playlist and the music stops immediately?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have a solution for where the moment I rate a song it disappears from the playlist and the music stops immediately?

Yeah, a few posts under that one. Basically play those song via "Add to Up Next" and they'll keep playing even if they're removed from the playlist.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Lately my itunes has been doing funky stuff like seperating downloaded and icloud versions of media in my libraries (music, tv, movies, etc) and flat out swapping labels on some things. Right now for example there's an episode of a tv show that I can't watch because it's mislabelled as an audio track and trying to play it brings up the track instead of the show and redownloading from icloud keeps the change.

Has anyone else had this happen/know why it would be doing this? Does anyone know how I might fix it? OSX 10.7.5 iTunes 11.0.1

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

I got a new pair of headphones that has buttons built in to control media on your phone (like the apple headphones do) and now everytime I plug them into my computer iTunes opens, assuming I want to change the song I'm not playing or something I guess, any way to make this stop?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

IUG posted:

Yeah, a few posts under that one. Basically play those song via "Add to Up Next" and they'll keep playing even if they're removed from the playlist.

Oh, I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before posting.

But like Betjeman said, your work around is really wonky and doesn't actually work/fix what I asked about.

Betjeman posted:

Right, because you're not playing the smart playlist. If you were playing directly from the playlist, it would die.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh, I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before posting.

But like Betjeman said, your work around is really wonky and doesn't actually work/fix what I asked about.

I use this a few times a week (in fact, I have an album that's going to be rated in my queue, so I will do it soon). Right now I'm playing from a playlist called "3000" which is 3,000 songs at random selected by least recently played. I'm going to go to my "Needs to be Rated" playlist, select the album, and then click "Add to Up Next". It will play that album, I can rate the songs while they're playing, the songs will disappear from the playlist, and the song will continue to play. Then it will go back to the 3000 playlist.

It plays the songs and it will continue to play even when they don't meet the criteria of the playlist. I don't know what else you're looking for then.

EDIT: There, I just did it. This song has 30 seconds left and it is not in that smart playlist anymore because I rated it.

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 20, 2013

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
So every time I plug my Ipod in, it just keeps saying "Verifying Ipod..." and never syncs. Forgive me if this has been answered already, but how do you fix this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

IUG posted:

I use this a few times a week (in fact, I have an album that's going to be rated in my queue, so I will do it soon). Right now I'm playing from a playlist called "3000" which is 3,000 songs at random selected by least recently played. I'm going to go to my "Needs to be Rated" playlist, select the album, and then click "Add to Up Next". It will play that album, I can rate the songs while they're playing, the songs will disappear from the playlist, and the song will continue to play. Then it will go back to the 3000 playlist.

It plays the songs and it will continue to play even when they don't meet the criteria of the playlist. I don't know what else you're looking for then.

EDIT: There, I just did it. This song has 30 seconds left and it is not in that smart playlist anymore because I rated it.

Then in that case, I have no idea what you mean by "go to my "Needs to be Rated" playlist, select the album" because my playlist has multiple albums :confused:

e: OK, I just realized you can switch from list view to grid view and see/select individual albums. I'm guessing this is what you meant. The only problem is now that only the album (well the songs of the album in the playlist) plays and the music stops when the album is finished. What I wanted was to just play my "needs to be rated playlist" all in shuffle and to be able to rate songs without the music stopping.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 20, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

IUG posted:

The reason I can't use it like this is because I had a playlist I used like a radio station, with higher rated songs appearing more often in the list than lower rated. Sometimes I like to change the rating of a song, or it's one of the unrated ones.

It doesn't work as a static playlist because there is no way to "add to up next at random", you have to drag the whole list in. Which means I needed to spend a load of time creating the appearance of random by dragging them around. It was unwieldy and could so easily be fixed by not making the playlist collapse if you change the criteria of the playing song, I've reported it as a bug, but apparently I'm the only person who uses smart playlists as actual playlists so :shrug:

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 20, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Select the songs you want to play. Click one, hold shift, click the bottom of the list of songs (or command/alt click individual ones), and then right click and then add to "Add to Up Next". It could be one song, it could be 100+, but that will let you play those tracks, change the ratings as you please.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Not sure why you're being an apologist for this, it's obviously a bug (based on oversight from removing iTunes DJ) and no amount of lovely workarounds is going to make it less of a bug.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The removal of a feature, while annoying, isn't exactly a "bug".

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Betjeman posted:

Not sure why you're being an apologist for this, it's obviously a bug (based on oversight from removing iTunes DJ) and no amount of lovely workarounds is going to make it less of a bug.

He was actually trying to be helpful since the feature you want to use is no longer in iTunes which as Wario Stated means it's not a bug.

Way to be a dickhead.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I understand reading more than just the last post isn't for everybody but repeating the same thing over when I had already said it was a poor solution doesn't make it helpful.

Wario In Real Life posted:

The removal of a feature, while annoying, isn't exactly a "bug".

I can't really see that the supposed Kings of user experience would intentionally do something this dumb, so call it what you will, I'll call it a "bug".

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 20, 2013

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ugh, the latest iTunes update is not playing well with my Win8 PC. If I don't open it as administrator, it crashes when I try to go to iTunes Store.

I had this problem when they released v10 and it eventually went away. Grrrr!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Betjeman posted:

I understand reading more than just the last post isn't for everybody but repeating the same thing over when I had already said it was a poor solution doesn't make it helpful.

I can't really see that the supposed Kings of user experience would intentionally do something this dumb, so call it what you will, I'll call it a "bug".

I'm not trying to just beat it into you. It seemed like you wanted something that would let you rate a song while listening to it, and this is a way to do it. In fact, my way didn't work until 11, I used to listen to music from that playlist and they would stop. I didn't use iTunes DJ back when it was around so I can't speak to that, but I do know this way works. And then Boris asked the same question so I repeated it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Dammit iTunes just let me hit the spacebar to start / pause the music I DON'T WANT TO SEARCH ANYTHING.

If you're on a device screen you can't even tab out of it there is no actual way to resign the search field from being first responder gently caress.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could do command + L to select the song that's currently playing. That would at least put the keyboard focus in the right place to then pause the music.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

lord funk posted:

Dammit iTunes just let me hit the spacebar to start / pause the music I DON'T WANT TO SEARCH ANYTHING.

If you're on a device screen you can't even tab out of it there is no actual way to resign the search field from being first responder gently caress.
Wait what? Space always does play/pause for me, regardless of where I am.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

Wait what? Space always does play/pause for me, regardless of where I am.

If the focus is in the search bar, then hitting space will enter it in there as text rather to iTunes as a command.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

IUG posted:

If the focus is in the search bar, then hitting space will enter it in there as text rather to iTunes as a command.

Um, yeah? That seems like it would be the expected behavior. It'd be really weird for the space bar to not enter a space in a text field when that field has focus.

I guess the moral is: get a keyboard with media keys?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

IUG posted:

If the focus is in a text input field then a keyboard stroke will be recorded as a text input? Am I missing the problem here?

EDIT: Guys I'm trying to scroll to the end of the page while I'm making this post but it just keeps putting spaces in the middle of my post instead!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lord funk posted:

I can tab out of the search field from the device screen just fine? :confused:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

His point was that the focus kept getting put to the search bar, and he wanted to pause the music, but it wouldn't operate that way because it was operating as intended. I said (in a previous post) to do a command + L so that it put the focus on the current playing song instead, and then the space bar would pause the music.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
iTunes on Mac. I want to move the video, and just the video, part of my library onto an external drive. I'd also like to keep the "copy files to iTunes library" option active globally. From what I've read, these are two ways to go about it:

1) Use a symlink to the new directory. But I've read that while this works fine for initial setup, it gives errors when you later add movies to your library.
2) Instead of using File - Add to Library, option-drag new movies into iTunes and it won't copy the files, but will add them to the library. Just have to remember to option-drag.

Any recommendations from people who have done it or other methods I should look at?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I've been using Option 2. As long as I don't fumble and let go of Option while copying, it works fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If it's a one time move, you might consider disabling the option, adding the video files, then reenabling. Otherwise Option 2 is probably is probably your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Cross posted from the Apple TV thread as I think this could be an iTunes issue:

Just bought a new PC with Windows 8 (Home) on it, installed the latest iTunes. Previously, had Apple TV 3 working just fine Home Sharing over wi-fi from the old PC with Windows 7 (Pro) and iTunes 11. Both rigs have the same ethernet connection to the router.

Now, I find that I get the spinning circle on the Apple TV when trying to start a show or movie Home Shared from Computers unless I just recently quit and restarted iTunes. Also for reference we were watching an HD movie last night streamed over Home Sharing and the movie would cut out about every 30 minutes (that is, 30 minutes of content had loaded, and when it hit the limit, end). Restarting iTunes would allow us to get another 30 minutes of content or so.

Previous to that I was able to start say one 10-minute show, watch it for a minute or two, but switching to another show would give me indefinite spinning circle. I believe one time a show started up after the spinning circle was showing for over 10 minutes.

So far, I have tried rebooting the Apple TV, toggling Home Sharing on iTunes, rebooting the Windows 8 machine, checking to make sure Bonjour was whitelisted in Windows Firewall and running automatically as a local service, uninstalled Bonjour, installed Bonjour Print Services 2.0.2 for Windows, uninstalled that when it didn't work at all, reinstalled Bonjour from Bonjourx64.msi (from the iTunesx64 package), then checking to make sure it was running automatically and firewall whitelisted again. I've also explicitly whitelisted iTunes in the firewall at this point and setting the rig to never sleep.

Any ideas from here?