Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Any home cocktail enthusiast who doesn't have a little container of paper umbrellas for when the Tiki bug strikes isn't prepared for all that life has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

nrr posted:

eh. you and I got different ideas of fun. For fun last night after our 12 hour shift, we stayed behind at the bar and spent the next 3 hours doing comparative tastings on the effects of different bourbons in a mint julep. Then I got four hours sleep and now I gotta go open up the bar again.

That's fun :colbert:

You can't just say that and not post your results!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like the real trick of making cocktails is knowing when 3 drops of absinthe is just the thing.

I made a gin sour with prickly pear syrup today, and deploying that tiny dash of absinthe was perfect.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Which leads to my question: If I'm using it just as a mixer, what's a good blended scotch to try? I've read excellent reviews of Teachers, Black Bottle, Famous Grouse, White Horse and Chivas 12. I'd be using the scotch for Manhattan's, Old Fashioned, Sours, Affinity and even Scotch and Soda. All of the ones I've mentioned are pretty close in price around here between 18-25 a bottle.
Pig's Nose if you can find it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
OK, now I've got 3/4 of a bottle of cheap vsop brandy, and a mini bottle of Jägermeister left over from a small party (along with lime, mint, cilantro, and coke). The brandy tastes pretty terrible, but I need to drink it all before I can justify buying more liquor. Can I scrap together any drinks with this?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Having a party tomorrow. We'd like to make a punch/sangria to supplement the (non expensive standard beers) for folks. We can't do anything overly fancy, but do people have some solid goto recipes for either of those? I know it's a common question :shobon:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
What kind of booze do you have?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Vegetable Melange posted:

What kind of booze do you have?

Any really and I'm willing to run out to the local liquor store and grab it. We just need to keep the drink relatively "tame". This would be for about 20 people.

tynam
May 14, 2007

The Maestro posted:

You can't just say that and not post your results!

Actually pretty curious of this as well. Never really got too deep into whiskey during my whiskey journey due to the cost.

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, now I've got 3/4 of a bottle of cheap vsop brandy, and a mini bottle of Jägermeister left over from a small party (along with lime, mint, cilantro, and coke). The brandy tastes pretty terrible, but I need to drink it all before I can justify buying more liquor. Can I scrap together any drinks with this?

If that's all you have you're pretty SOL. If your goal is to kill the brandy, pick up a bottle of Benedictine and make B&B's (with more Benedictine than you'd usually use), or some triple sec and lemon juice for Sidecars. If you want something easier to drink, Alexander's should fit the bill as well. If the brandy is really lovely, add extra creme de cacao and serve the drink on the rocks instead of up.

Ultimately you're going to need at least one additional liqueur to mix the brandy with. Triple sec is probably the best of the three options since it's reused in other cocktails fairly often compared to creme de cacao and Benedictine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Having a party tomorrow. We'd like to make a punch/sangria to supplement the (non expensive standard beers) for folks. We can't do anything overly fancy, but do people have some solid goto recipes for either of those? I know it's a common question :shobon:

My perennial suggestion for that sort of occasion is Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's guaranteed to be popular. However, if you'd like to do something a little more classic-tasting, I'd recommend either Admiral Russel's Punch with VS cognac (actual cognac please) and sherry, or Kenning's Punch (which I've also referred to as Pinkhouse Punch Noble), with Irish whiskey and barleywine – a concoction of which I really am quite proud. As a bonus, that last post I linked also has a link to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Sangria recipe.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kenning posted:

My perennial suggestion for that sort of occasion is Limmer's Club Gin Punch. It's guaranteed to be popular. However, if you'd like to do something a little more classic-tasting, I'd recommend either Admiral Russel's Punch with VS cognac (actual cognac please) and sherry, or Kenning's Punch (which I've also referred to as Pinkhouse Punch Noble), with Irish whiskey and barleywine – a concoction of which I really am quite proud. As a bonus, that last post I linked also has a link to Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Sangria recipe.

Awesome, thank you very much. I will let you know what we go with.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Gordon's or Seagram's for gin and sodas/gin rickys?

I've tried pretty much everything I have available to me under 35/handle. I thought the more expensive ones did not have the kind of kick I wanted. Gordon's was my favorite but I haven't tried Seagrams yet. Is it worth picking up a handle of it or just stick to Seagrams.

The ones I tried were New Amsterdam, Beefeater, Bombay London Dry, and Gordon's. New Amsterdam was the worst.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you like Gordon's stick with that. Seagram's is nothing to write home about. I'm a fan of Bombay Dry, but for a real juniper kick you might try Tanqueray.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
On of my Peruvian supervisors gave me a bottle of Pisco today, which I had never loving heard of until it dropped in my lap. And of course I have no idea what the gently caress to do with it.

The bottle is all in Spanish, so all I know for sure is that it's 84 proof. I threw it in with some sour mix I had in the fridge and a dash of bitters. It goes down really fast and smooth, the ratio of sour to pisco was pretty much 1 to 1 since I was running low on sour. Zero bite, and a HUGE burst of grape on the finish. Rich, jammy, almost deep red wine style grapes.

I have a feeling this would be fantastic in the proper cocktail, but to be honest I've never used it before so I have no idea what in the hell to do with it. It's good enough in sour mix that I won't be hurt at all if that's all I can use it for.

Seriously, I'm amazed that something with this proof has this little of a bite. If I didn't mix the drink myself I'd be questioning how much was in here. And the grape finish is phenomenal, like Welch's grape jelly.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

wangvicous posted:

Gordon's or Seagram's for gin and sodas/gin rickys?

I've tried pretty much everything I have available to me under 35/handle. I thought the more expensive ones did not have the kind of kick I wanted. Gordon's was my favorite but I haven't tried Seagrams yet. Is it worth picking up a handle of it or just stick to Seagrams.

The ones I tried were New Amsterdam, Beefeater, Bombay London Dry, and Gordon's. New Amsterdam was the worst.

New Amsterdam's "thing" is being more citrus prominent and dialing down the juniper, sort of a gin for people that don't like gin. gently caress that.

I love Gordon's in a gin and tonic, for my money the more expensive gins are almost too smooth to go in a good G&T without feeling neutered. I'd hesitate to put Gordon's in a martini based on the same principle though.

If you can find it there is a gin called Junipero that dials juniper to 11. Try that in a G&T and let me know what you think.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

....sort of a gin for people that don't like gin. gently caress that.
Seconded and gently caress people who don't like gin while we're at it.

Gin kicks rear end. Yes, I can make this beautifully balanced gin cocktail with vodka instead for you. Yes you just ruined your drink. Yes you are a dumbass.

nrr fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 25, 2013

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

On of my Peruvian supervisors gave me a bottle of Pisco today, which I had never loving heard of until it dropped in my lap. And of course I have no idea what the gently caress to do with it.

The bottle is all in Spanish, so all I know for sure is that it's 84 proof. I threw it in with some sour mix I had in the fridge and a dash of bitters. It goes down really fast and smooth, the ratio of sour to pisco was pretty much 1 to 1 since I was running low on sour. Zero bite, and a HUGE burst of grape on the finish. Rich, jammy, almost deep red wine style grapes.

I have a feeling this would be fantastic in the proper cocktail, but to be honest I've never used it before so I have no idea what in the hell to do with it. It's good enough in sour mix that I won't be hurt at all if that's all I can use it for.

Seriously, I'm amazed that something with this proof has this little of a bite. If I didn't mix the drink myself I'd be questioning how much was in here. And the grape finish is phenomenal, like Welch's grape jelly.

A pisco sour is the best place to start with a bottle of pisco.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Then start subbing it in for cognac or brandy in classics. Every pisco is different, sometimes wildly, because of the manufacturing methods and terroir of the grapes used.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I am on the biggest grapefruit/anise kick right now, and doing a sazerac with grapefruit zest-infused gin instead of whisky is amazing. Same everything else (absinthe rinse/flame, simple syrup, Peychaud's/Creole bitters), but it's suddenly a perfect summer drink.

E: quick pisco thing: where I live, there are two brands readily available: Barsol and Porton. Don't drink Barsol. It sounds like a cleaning product, and it tastes like one, too.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Tanith posted:

E: quick pisco thing: where I live, there are two brands readily available: Barsol and Porton. Don't drink Barsol. It sounds like a cleaning product, and it tastes like one, too.

Which barsol? They make a couple different expressions, and I really like the mosto verde italia.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kenning posted:

Ended up going with Jeffrey Morgenthaler's sangria and it was a huge hit. Made about 3 gallons of it and we're all rightfully hungover as gently caress today. Perfect drink for the night. Thank you for the suggestions.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

nrr posted:

Seconded and gently caress people who don't like gin while we're at it.

Gin kicks rear end. Yes, I can make this beautifully balanced gin cocktail with vodka instead for you. Yes you just ruined your drink. Yes you are a dumbass.

Why isn't there a dedicated gin thread?

If my internet at home wasn't being stupid, I would do a write up

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Crater Lake Gin is good poo poo.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

rxcowboy posted:

Quick Fix - 1oz ea Pisco, elderflower liqueur, grapefruit juice, .5oz lime juice. Shake/iced rocks/mint
La Merced - 1.5oz each Amaro, sweet vermouth, Pisco. Stir/iced DOF/orange peel
Barrio Pisco Sour 2oz Pisco, 1oz honey syrup, 1oz lemon juice, .5oz lime juice, .5oz grapefruit juice, egg white. Shake/coupe/Peychaud's bitters garnish
Incan Envy - .75oz ea tequila, pisco, green chartreuse, lime juice, .25oz simple syrup. Shake/coupe

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Vegetable Melange posted:

Which barsol? They make a couple different expressions, and I really like the mosto verde italia.

The Italia (orange). I didn't even realize there were more until now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why isn't there a dedicated gin thread?

If my internet at home wasn't being stupid, I would do a write up

Gin threads don't last. It's not a sufficiently well-established collector spirit.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

rxcowboy posted:

New Amsterdam's "thing" is being more citrus prominent and dialing down the juniper, sort of a gin for people that don't like gin. gently caress that.
Oh come on - dialing back the juniper is not always a bad thing. Hayman's Old Tom does a similar thing where they focus on the citrus and tannic side of things. They're possibly the only kinds of gin you can mix with Dolin Blanc and not feel like you're drinking the air of Macy's perfume section. I think low juniper does a better Negroni anyhow since you can let the vermouth stand out.

Plus, if it's going to be cheap, low juniper is way better than bad juniper.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 26, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My birthday was on Friday, so I went to visit with a couple of friends, one of whom was also having a birthday, and we went out to dinner, and afterwards, made drinks with the booze that I brought! She had a bottle of St. Germaine, so we started with that, making something called The Bohemian, which was just equal parts St. Germaine/Plymouth Gin, grapefruit juice and bitters, shaken and poured in a cocktail glass. It was really nice, the gin really complimented the elderflower, it was a very nice, smooth drink. I followed that up with an Apple Rum Rickey, which was *awesome*.

Tonight I made me and my roommate Jack Roses. Applejack is the poo poo.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It was a friend's birthday on Friday, and we ended up at the tiny bar my favourite bartender has just moved to. He mixed us up a cocktail with Hendrick's, St. Germaine and a rose liqueur that was pretty excellent, followed up with a sipped shot glass full of Creme de Violette. And then I tried Yamazaki for the first time.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Sake is a good combo with St. Germain as well. One of my favorite places back in Madison made this combo: Ozeki Junmai sake, St. Germain, pear juice, splash of club soda

Try it with some pear infused vodka too (or simply pear nectar 50/50 with the vodka) if you want a bit more kick to it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

A full shot of creme de violette sounds a bit full on, even if you are sipping on it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are some good neat cocktails. Going camping this weekend and don't want to drink just beer. Ice will not be available/plentiful.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Wookums posted:

What are some good neat cocktails. Going camping this weekend and don't want to drink just beer. Ice will not be available/plentiful.

Bring some bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Bring some bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters.

Maybe some lemons too.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Mr. Wookums posted:

What I've done before is to make a mint simple syrup and bring a bottle of whiskey. You can mix the two together ahead of time and stash it in the freezer before you leave. Extra points if you bring fresh mint.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I've got a question about bitters. If a recipe calls for Angostura, can I use Fee Brothers instead or are they totally different products?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Which kind of fee bros? Aromatic bitters are roughly fungible but peach won't sub for ango, for example.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
It's the aromatic bitters. Also, where would you apply the fruit based ones, because those seem interesting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Canadian Bakin posted:

It's the aromatic bitters. Also, where would you apply the fruit based ones, because those seem interesting.

I agree. I got me a bottle of vanilla bitters, as well as spicy pear bitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno man, I find that Fee Bros aromatic is just way too heavy-handed with the cinnamon. It totally overwhelms the drink in my opinion.