Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

url posted:

Pictures

code:
bed   |
------|Living room
Office|

Cool, 24k for two people sounds :krad: Do you guys cook much?

For comparison, this is my goon base:

weather is kind of bad, like China pollution :barf:

And of course 2 monitors :neckbeard:

I need to clean my room and throw stuff away :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

For comparison, this is my goon base:

weather is kind of bad, like China pollution :barf:

And of course 2 monitors :neckbeard:

I need to clean my room and throw stuff away :smith:

You coming to NYC soon or something?

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Folks, how many of you had to take a physical exam upon getting hired as part of your Visa application?

I ask because I wonder what they're checking for. That is, if for example I had a friend whose home state allowed for the legal use of medical cannabis, and this friend used that medicine occasionally to help with depression and anxiety, should that friend discontinue use immediately and start chugging water?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

poetrywhore posted:

Folks, how many of you had to take a physical exam upon getting hired as part of your Visa application?

I ask because I wonder what they're checking for. That is, if for example I had a friend whose home state allowed for the legal use of medical cannabis, and this friend used that medicine occasionally to help with depression and anxiety, should that friend discontinue use immediately and start chugging water?

Most people take a physical. If your 'friend' is applying for a teaching job, the blood test is actually required by law. Also, they're testing for HIV/AIDS, no joke, as they still deport for that. I think they also check for other terrifying diseases but it's definitely not drugs. Of course, I am not a chemist/doctor and if Bob Marley took a blood test and they found massive abnormalities then they might do further testing or whatnot, but I know several people that smoked somewhat soon before the test and didn't have a problem.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
IIRC they check for HIV, syphilis, leprosy, tuberculosis and one or two other things.
I did it and it was very "Yay, I am not a leper :downs:"

hitension fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 21, 2013

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Double post

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I believe several goons here have passed the test and definitely also smoke a lot of weed.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
They 100% also test for morphine.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They 100% do not test for THC. I... have a friend who knows this very well.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Thanks folks for the quick info. I'm moving to Pingtung (don't laugh, I like it there!) for the first year definitely, and then might move to Kaohsiung after. Holler anytime, especially if you want to go down to Kenting and soak up a little BLISS.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The worst part of letting my ARC expire is having to stand in line at immigration with all the tourists.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TetsuoTW posted:

They 100% do not test for THC. I... have a friend who knows this very well.

They have to do a specific test for THC. It doesn't show up in most medical blood and urine tests.

This is a common worry among ESL teachers in East Asia but I don't think even Korea tests for THC*.

EDIT: *Unless you've been ratted out or turned in by an angry ex.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
From what I hear from Korean goons, Korea can be ultra strict and do hair follicle tests because "only foreigners do drugs" :rolleyes: That means fine + prison / immediate deportation :smith: So how's the :420: culture in Taiwan? Are people oblivious to it or only associate with its stereotypes? In the mainland there are lots of Uighurs who smoke it and sell it on the side.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

You coming to NYC soon or something?

Sorry, I already came back from NYC and Maine, I miss the East Coast :911:

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 23, 2013

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So You've Overstayed Your ARC

Well, for whatever reason, your ARC has expired and you are still in Taiwan. And, rather than continuing to live in sinbe an illegal alien, you want to get a new visa and return to Taiwan. Here is all the information you need to know, based on my experience. Big thanks to duckfarts and Horatius Bonar for providing most of the information I used to plan my visa run.

What you need to know:
-You will pay a fine.
-You must return with a visitor's visa. You cannot get a landing visa if you overstay.

Step 1: Don't Panic

One thing to avoid when you realize that you have overstayed is Googling around for “overstayed ARC penalties” and the like. All that's going to do is get you lots of people who don't know what they are talking about, or are going on information from years ago. No, the cops aren't coming to track you down and yes, you will be allowed back into the country. Obviously if you get arrested or something there's going to be problems, but overstaying your ARC is the only law you're planning on breaking, right?

Step 2: Get your documents in order

Before you leave Taiwan, you should get everything together that you will need to apply for your new visa.

-Fill out this application form.

-After you complete it, print it out. You will need to present it when you apply. IMPORTANT: Make sure the printer hasn't cut off the bottom bit of the form! I had to go back to my hotel, print it out again, return, and get in line all over again because of this!

-Your passport, and a photocopy of it.

-2 passport photos.

-The receipt for the fine you payed at the airport (see below), and a photocopy of it.

-If you are returning on a visitor's visa (since you are an unemployed bum), you will need “proof of financial stability.” I took my Taiwanese bank book. Also you'll need a photocopy of the cover and page that shows the latest transaction.

-A short apology letter explaining why you overstayed your ARC. I just said “I lost track of time because I was moving to a new city” and that was fine. Also make sure to say that you have already paid the fine at the airport. (I had to pencil this in at the window: it was nice of the official not to make me go back and type it out again.)

IMPORTANT: Check the website of the office you are going to for yourself, just to be sure you have everything!

Step 3: GTFO

Now that you are ready to go get a new visa, you need to fly to some city that has a Taipei Economic Cooperation Office (TECO). You are most likely familiar with them since you would have needed to get a visa before. I went to Hong Kong, but there are also offices in Macau, Malaysia, and Japan.

Now, this first step is important. You will need to pay a fine at the airport before you can get your boarding pass. Find the immigration office to do this. They have a special window for overstayed ARCs.

]
Conveniently located on both ends of the terminal.

All you do is tell them you overstayed, and they'll give you a short form to fill out, as well as telling you how much you need to pay. This is going to be a fairly costly fine. I overstayed by nineteen days, and payed 4,000 NT. The fine increases the longer you overstay, so the sooner you leave, the better!

They will put a big stamp in your passport that says that you cannot return on a landing visa.

The government of the Republic of China is officially disappointed in you.

They will also give you a receipt for the fine you just payed. Keep this receipt! You will need it not only to get your boarding pass, but also your new visa.

Guess I'm eating street vendor food for the next month or so.

Now you can get your boarding pass and go through security and immigration. Without your ARC you can't go through the fancy airlock and need to stand in line with the other dirty tourists. This was probably the most depressing part of the process for me.

Step 4: Getting your new visa

Now that you are in Hong Kong (or wherever), it's time for the final and hardest step: getting your new visa. If you are in Hong Kong there are two offices, on the 4th floor and the 40th floor. The directory doesn't tell you which one you need to go to.

Also they get really pissy if you try and take a picture of it for a future post. :mad:

You want to go to the 40th floor! The windows open at 9:00. I got there at 8:55 (because I went to the wrong floor) and I was number 11 in line. So if you want to be first, get there around 8:30 or earlier. There is a copier available there if you still need to make some copies. It costs 1 Hong Kong dollar per page.

Give your documents to the person at the window and hope that everything checks out. Just answer yes or no questions, don't try and chat, don't try and be funny, and especially don't mention that you are coming back to look for a job and get a new ARC! I almost sunk myself at the last moment that way. I assured the lady that I knew I couldn't work with this visa and that no I definitely wouldn't, and was on my way. If you are early enough you can get your visa on the same day if you pay a bit more. It's up to you, but either way come back when it's time and collect your new visa! Hooray, you can return!

Step 5: Have an awesome visit to Hong Kong! (optional)

Step 6: Returning

If everything is in order, you should have no issues at immigration besides the indignity of having to line up in the super-long “visitors” line with the tourists again. Congratulations, you are now legal for another sixty days! Repeat as often as necessary.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Arrived in Taipei four hours ago. The average rainfall for my time in Taiwan has been about 2 inches per hour. Already spent most of the afternoon in 7-Elevens and OKMarts. At least there was random stuff on fire everywhere which looked cool with all the wind and rain.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

kenner116 posted:

Arrived in Taipei four hours ago. The average rainfall for my time in Taiwan has been about 2 inches per hour. Already spent most of the afternoon in 7-Elevens and OKMarts. At least there was random stuff on fire everywhere which looked cool with all the wind and rain.

Welcome to the waiguoren experience. Were you drinking beer during that time? The fires are for ghost month, they're full of money to help the spirits of the dead by zombie condos.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The other night in Hong Kong we were discussing how hell must suffer Zimbabwe-like hyperinflation. Everybody's burning bills denominated in the millions.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

kenner116 posted:

Protip: OKMarts are poo poo, Hi-Life is passable poo poo. 7s and FamilyMarts are where it's at.

Also, nice guide Moon Slayer, glad to hear you made it back.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Spanish Matlock posted:

Welcome to the waiguoren experience. Were you drinking beer during that time? The fires are for ghost month, they're full of money to help the spirits of the dead by zombie condos.

Sorry, I was looking for cheap beers but even small cans were 30 dollars. I miss the mainland already. :china:

Also, the Official Waiguoren Experience can only occur in deepest darkest Henan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

So how's the :420: culture in Taiwan? Are people oblivious to it or only associate with its stereotypes? In the mainland there are lots of Uighurs who smoke it and sell it on the side.
In Taiwan it's around, but it's bloody hard to find. The hip-hop community, surprise surprise, has its share of 420 smoke weed erryday,

(See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BxjgMk-Wgo
)

but basically the vast majority of people are not only oblivious, but completely ignorant of it. I've been around a couple of Taiwanese getting smoked out for the first time and they can full-on poo poo themselves about it before and during. You'd think it was loving meth.

And the dumbest part of it is weed is bordering on impossible to get without connections or good money, but ketamine - loving horse tranquilizer - is the recreational drug of choice and easy as hell to get. Go figure, weed is the devil, veterinary science is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScKLUiAB9c

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I love the smell of burning joss paper and it always makes me smile a bit whenever I walk past it. Is that racist?

Eta: convenience storechat, 7 has better services and a wider variety of stuff (read: beer), but family mart has way better food. Hi life has the best coffee. Ok mart is poo poo all around

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 23, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Does Nikomart still exist? I don't think I've seen one around in a while now...

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Weed is a bit harder to find. Hash on the other hand is everywhere all the time. Ketamine is totally the drug of choice with the party crowd and I constantly see people smoking it at the most random places. Ecstacy is also just as easy to find as ketamine. The only drug that I've heard people having a hard time getting in quantity or quality is cocaine.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

TetsuoTW posted:

Does Nikomart still exist? I don't think I've seen one around in a while now...
Nikomart went bankrupt a few years back.

Drugchat: I didn't realize K was so big here. No wonder anti-K posters have started appearing on the MRT. Weed is around, I've met quite a few Taiwanese who smoke and sometimes you can catch a whiff of it in parks at night.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
After another hour of hanging out under awnings and having a giant cockroach somehow finding its way onto my arm, I've finally made it to the hostel. Next item on the shopping list: umbrella.

Moving to the Chengchi university dorms on Sunday down in Wenshan.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

thegoat posted:

Ketamine....I constantly see people smoking it.

Is this a thing Taiwanese people actually do? I find it hard to believe they are less informed than mainlanders when it comes to efficiently using drugs.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Oh it's very popular. I don't think it's so much about the efficiency of it, but rather the difference in what it does. It results in a dizzy / wonky effect that doesn't last nearly as long as injection or insufflation.

It also smells like burning plastic and is pretty gross.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Arakan posted:

Is this a thing Taiwanese people actually do?
Seriously, ketamine is the recreational drug of choice.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Seriously, ketamine is the recreational drug of choice.

I guess at Hess, a foreigner in a training group OD'd on K and died last year. I had a few groups watch my classes that same week, so seeing the job we have to do may have driven him over the edge.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ravendas posted:

I guess at Hess, a foreigner in a training group OD'd on K and died last year. I had a few groups watch my classes that same week, so seeing the job we have to do may have driven him over the edge.
To be fair,the job you teachers do would drive me to drugs and all.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Just spotted on the MRT

Enjoy those adult diapers!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

Just spotted on the MRT

Enjoy those adult diapers!

Doesn't that basically say "Use K once, wear diapers forever?" That's hilarious.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ravendas posted:

Doesn't that basically say "Use K once, wear diapers forever?" That's hilarious.
Yep - A Moment of K, A Lifetime of Diapers. That's seriously the anti-K message they've been pushing for a while. They honestly think "don't do K, it'll make you pee a lot" is an effective deterrent. I guess I prefer that to "one joint will make you a psychopathic murderer/rapist" though; at least it's somewhere in the general neighborhood of honest.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

caberham posted:

We have a toaster oven and an electric hob, and yeah she's pretty bit keen on cooking.

Last place had two gas hobs, which, with the toaster oven we were able to cook pretty much anything.
I guess it's a preference thing, but I hate electric.

I'd say when you're looking you decide up front what kind of kitchen you want.
Gas/respectable kitchens are more common at the nice end of the range (obv. i guess).

:)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

url posted:

Gas/respectable kitchens are more common at the nice end of the range (obv. i guess).

I’m really hoping this was a brilliant intentional pun.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

I’m really hoping this was a brilliant intentional pun.

ha - no such luck.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I have a question for this thread.

I got interviewed for TLC and they made it into an ad and put it on TV. Obviously they edited out all the parts where I say anything, which is great. But I'm a little sad I never got to see it on TV. I'm no longer in Taiwan, and I'm wondering if someone can help me see it? It was on TLC advertising their anniversary, my friends said they played it alot during the summer. I'm the tall white guy, probably wearing a hat, black sweater, and stupid grin, with a Taiwanese girl who does all the talking. I've tried Youtube and the TLC Taiwan site in English. Anything else I should try, maybe in Mandarin?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Searching for 'TLC 台灣 廣告' (TLC Taiwan Commercial) brought up this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1nkc7JMO8

I didn't notice a white dude in it.

This guy has some TLC Taiwan list, it might be in there: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJackHsiao

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is it this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDvzzow5jM

(Paleface spotted at 0:06)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted: