Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

veedubfreak posted:

What is funny is that if you replaced weed with beer, no one say a thing about it.

This isn't true, it's the mentality that is the problem not the substance.

If a friend just turned 21 and then drank 15 beers everyday, I'd tell him he shouldn't do that either.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

This isn't true, it's the mentality that is the problem not the substance.

If a friend just turned 21 and then drank 15 beers everyday, I'd tell him he shouldn't do that either.

If it were beer I'd understand your comments. Beer is addictive and can have really serious health problems after only days of that kind of intake. I could smoke a quarter a week from now till I die and the biggest problem would be how much money it cost and getting arrested, unless an outside factor contributed like getting a nasty cold or something.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Physically yes, Psychologically (and I'm not talking about the affects of THC), no.

Another example, if someone just got to college and they start playing video games 15 hours everyday, even while maintaining a 4.0 average, I would STILL tell them they shouldn't do that.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Powercrazy posted:

Another example, if someone just got to college and they start playing video games 15 hours everyday, even while maintaining a 4.0 average, I would STILL tell them they shouldn't do that.

a. Where is this authority to tell other people what is/isn't good for them coming from?

b. If they are genuinely happy with their life playing that many video games, why should they stop?

c. Would you think they should get arrested if they're caught playing video games that much?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Powercrazy posted:

Physically yes, Psychologically (and I'm not talking about the affects of THC), no.

Yo, dude in a lot of ways I'm in some kind of agreement with you, but can you see how that's a personal thing that has nothing to do with you? In my perfect world I would want everyone to be as self actualized as possible, but if it's not actually negatively affecting you and not an immediate danger to their health then shouldn't you and society and government butt the gently caress out?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The government? Definitely should gently caress off. It shouldn't be against the law to destroy yourself. But as a friend, a peer, or just a member of the same society they live in? I feel it is my obligation to offer some socialization. But I wouldn't specifically go out of my way to "moralize" to them about the ills of their behavior, except in the most informal of mediums, i.e. this forum, or in the college example by coming by his dorm room on Friday night and inviting video game dude to come out with us.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Y'all got your one-two punches ready itching to knock over those strawmen. Internet weed advocates(I guess I am one of these?) sure are defensive.

A random person I don't know can go hog wild playing video games for 15 hours a day, great for them. If it were my friend, I would probably talk to them about it because they probably could be even happier if they didn't. It isn't really that complicated and "WHY SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT CARE" isn't a response to that.

It doesn't take a prohibition advocate to see that a person who sits at home smoking weed all day is stuck in a local maximum and would be happier in the long term if they found other, more actualizing fulfillment. Is this the part where I tell the internet how much weed I smoke to validate my opinion?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 23, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeffrey posted:

Y'all got your one-two punches ready itching to knock over those strawmen. Internet weed advocates(I guess I am one of these?) sure are defensive.

Seriously.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

Why? I played video games that much in college AND I still smoke weed that much(except right now), and I won free ride teaching assistantships for both my masters and doctorate. Sorry, you don't get to judge me. I loving rule. You need to drop this idea that your moral feelings towards things matter in any way to anybody at all except you because what I do with my free time is none of your business, full stop.

Jeffrey posted:

Anybody telling me how I should live my life and what I should and shouldn't enjoy can eat my rear end.
People will have different lives and desires and hobbies than you, and that's ok. If I want to spend right hours a day smoking weed and playing video games on the weekend, who are you to tell me otherwise? Do I tell you to stop doing whatever you do and start smoking weed and playing video games instead?

I really don't get why you are having trouble understanding why I find this offensive. But clearly you just don't, so whatever man. I'm happy with my life and that's what is important.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 23, 2013

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

The government? Definitely should gently caress off. It shouldn't be against the law to destroy yourself. But as a friend, a peer, or just a member of the same society they live in? I feel it is my obligation to offer some socialization. But I wouldn't specifically go out of my way to "moralize" to them about the ills of their behavior, except in the most informal of mediums, i.e. this forum, or in the college example by coming by his dorm room on Friday night and inviting video game dude to come out with us.

Just a reminder that this is how you began this discussion:

Powercrazy posted:

You really shouldn't do that.

Do you think anyone on this forum cares about your admitted moralizing?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Moralizing isn't de facto bad unless you are sorely misinformed on what morals are.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

But as a friend, a peer, or just a member of the same society they live in? I feel it is my obligation to offer some socialization. But I wouldn't specifically go out of my way to "moralize" to them about the ills of their behavior, except in the most informal of mediums, i.e. this forum, or in the college example by coming by his dorm room on Friday night and inviting video game dude to come out with us.

Jeffrey posted:

It doesn't take a prohibition advocate to see that a person who sits at home smoking weed all day is stuck in a local maximum and would be happier in the long term if they found other, more actualizing fulfillment.

I think the Internet Weed Advocates are talking about smoking pot and for some reason you guys are talking about people being antisocial? I agree that people who sit at home all day would likely be happier if they get out more.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Murmur Twin posted:

I think the Internet Weed Advocates are talking about smoking pot and for some reason you guys are talking about people being antisocial? I agree that people who sit at home all day would likely be happier if they get out more.

Whoa, hold your horses their pardner, we don't want any moralizing in this weed safe space.

Honestly the attitude I called Warchicken out on is detrimental to the goal of full legalization. Being a walking stereotype of the thing American legislatures fear the most isn't helpful, and is elliciting eye-rolling from more "moderate" or maybe, "socially well adjusted" weed advocates, if you prefer.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 23, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Murmur Twin posted:

Somehow I figured that playing video games for 15 hours a day, or smoking weed 15 times a day is pretty antisocial. Certainly one can smoke up or play video games in a social environment, but I imagine few people have a large circle of friends or coworkers who they can hang out with and do either of those things for that much time each day. I imagine that the majority of those 15 smoking sessions are at home, and genuinely have opportunity cost greater than the pleasure derived from them. People don't tend to take beer breaks at work and one joint is a lot more intoxicating than one beer, I can't even imagine the logistics of such a lifestyle.

If you are idle rich and just hang out with your idle rich friends all day and smoke weed, I can empathize and see the appeal somewhat. I can't imagine how one could do it without being antisocial in a regular adult life in the US. Warchicken, this is kind of an obnoxious request but I'd love to see a weekday schedule that includes social activity, work, and 15 smoking sessions per day in it because I don't really believe you would smoke as much as you claim.

This is advice I would give a friend, I don't know what "moralizing is", I don't think the universe will or the government should punish you for spending all your time smoking weed. I'm simply saying I would discourage a friend from such a lifestyle because I think they would be better doing other things with their time.

This is in fact pretty off topic at this point. I know I myself have gotten annoyed at these derails when I haven't been a part of them. I will bow out here if the thread so desires.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 23, 2013

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Honestly the attitude I called Warchicken out on is detrimental to the goal of full legalization. Being a walking stereotype of the thing American legislatures fear the most isn't helpful, and is elliciting eye-rolling from more "moderate" or maybe, "socially well adjusted" weed advocates, if you prefer.

:what:

What makes Warchicken "a walking stereotype of the thing American legislatures fear the most"?

Jeffrey posted:

I'd love to see a weekday schedule that includes social activity, work, and 15 smoking sessions per day in it because I don't really believe you.

Are you near Boston? Come chill with my crew and I and I'd be happy to show you.

Murmur Twin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 23, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Warchicken posted:

Speak for yourself, I've known plenty of people who blast through more than an ounce every three weeks and I've done the same myself. I don't smoke cigarettes and never, ever will. But if weed was in the gas station with it I'd be smoking fifteen joints a day.

Reefer madness, in the flesh.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There are tons of people who smoke weed and then do other things because weed makes doing other things more enjoyable sometimes. With other people even. I'm not sure why that's a controversial opinion.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Powercrazy posted:

Reefer madness, in the flesh.

What's even the purpose of this post? Like we get it, you don't think it's healthy or a good idea to smoke 15 joints a day. That's great.

Powercrazy posted:

Nobody is talking about smoking weed for 15 hours a day. A joint takes 5 minutes to smoke, 15 x 5 is like an hour and fifteen minutes. It doesn't make you an anti-social sperglord to smoke that much and for you to pretend like it's crazy IS a problem because there is no reasonable basis for 15 joints a day being unhealthy on its own.

Plenty of social and successful people smoke 15 cigs a day and they are way worse for you than weed.

And Warchicken may have overdefended himself but it doesnt change the fact that he was right about your original comment, it's worthless moralizing with no scientific basis. Fifteen joints a day is fine and the science/reality bears it out, get over it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powercrazy posted:

Whoa, hold your horses their pardner, we don't want any moralizing in this weed safe space.

How the gently caress am I a walking stereotype? I'm exactly, precisely the type of person you don't think smokes pot. I'm am extremely talented professional, I teach at a loving university, I am working on my doctorate, I have a girlfriend, I pay taxes, just exactly what the gently caress is it that makes me a stereotype? Have you listened to a thing I've said? You still seem to think I'm some loser living in my parents' basement. No, dude, I'm a scholar of music and a highly trained musician and teacher, and I also smoke a whole bunch of weed. If that's the stereotype of weed smokers then why don't you want everyone in the entire country to smoke as much weed as I do?

Seriously, take five seconds and challenge your preconceived notions about what it is to be a regular pot smoker or pothead. I am not trying to brag about my life to you, though my life does in fact kick rear end. I am trying to explain to you that the way you view weed smokers is wrong. It doesn't mean poo poo about a person. Plenty of people smoke like me and are total losers. Plenty struggle but get by. Plenty are like me. It does. Not. Matter.

If the attitude of "I'm a successful professional with long term life and career goals and I also like weed" is detrimental to legalization then I just can't even imagine what your ideal attitude is.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Considering he's equated smoking a joint to playing an hour of video games and drinking a beer, both of which are far more detrimental to your health, I don't really think so. Maybe he needs to check in with Sanjay, read up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

First of all, from "I want to smoke a joint" to "joint finished" is more like 20-30 minutes for me, but it'd be lower if I bought pre-rolled camel highs, okay not that important.

I don't think an hour of video games is "far more detrimental" to one's health than one joint. That seems like it has come full circle to ludicrous in the other direction. I'm equating an hour spent smoking weed at home alone to an hour spent playing video games at home alone. I have no problem with that, but if I my friend was doing either those for 15 hours per day, I would be concerned and encourage them to do other things. I am further hypothesizing that, among those who smoke 15 times per day, most of those times are, in fact, at home alone.

vvvvv Can we stop using the word "wrong", as if I I'm implying there is something "wrong" or "bad" about it, and instead use something like "suboptimal"? A response with specific examples of things you've done isn't sufficient here. Listening to 9 hours of symphony? Sounds great. Do it again the next day, and the next day, and the next day, ad nauseum? To the point of eschewing other social interaction in favor of it? I start to suspect you might be depressed and wonder why you are content with such a lifestyle, so I would talk to you(my friend) about it. I find out it is because you are doing intense research for your thesis and you want to stay focused? Great. This paragraph doesn't mention weed for good reason, it's completely independent of what particular singularly focused activity which dominates one's time. I realize this is now pretty irrelevant and I would really like to drop this, so my one final summary line on the matter:

If a friend exhibits a behavior change in which they withdraw socially in favor of staying at home alone doing any single thing, I would be concerned and want to talk to them about it. Weed is one such thing. We only get so many free hours on this planet and I don't think spending a quarter of them each day on a single solitary activity is a worthwhile way to spend them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 23, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is even disagreeing with that. They're disagreeing with the idea that there is anything wrong with it, or that your feelings towards it matter. Yeah, I might sit at home and blast bowl after bowl after bowl. So what? Why do you or anyone else get to tell me that's wrong? If you don't like it, don't do it. Do you call your friends to check to see if they're watching too much tv?

You're just completely failing to understand that it is none of your business what I do at home. Not only that but I like to smoke and go do things, as do all my friends. I don't even remember the last time I smoked and didn't do something afterwards. I like to get baked and practice my orchestra music, or get ripped and listen to a great symphony. You honestly just sound like someone who has absolutely no idea what real people, stoners or otherwise, do with their time.

I've gotten high and listened to seven Mahler symphonies in a row before. This took nine hours. Was I wasting my time? Should I have stayed sober and like, read a book instead? If you don't understand the ludicrous nature of this question, then I suggest you go smoke fifteen joints while listening to Mahler.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 23, 2013

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

I don't think an hour of video games is "far more detrimental" to one's health than one joint. That seems like it has come full circle to ludicrous in the other direction. I'm equating an hour spent smoking weed at home alone to an hour spent playing video games at home alone. I have no problem with that, but if I my friend was doing either those for 15 hours per day, I would be concerned and encourage them to do other things. I am further hypothesizing that, among those who smoke 15 times per day, most of those times are, in fact, at home alone.

Do you think the fact that smoking pot is illegal contributes to the fact that people mostly smoke at home?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

a lovely poster posted:

What's even the purpose of this post? Like we get it, you don't think it's healthy or a good idea to smoke 15 joints a day. That's great.

Nobody is talking about smoking weed for 15 hours a day. A joint takes 5 minutes to smoke, 15 x 5 is like an hour and fifteen minutes. It doesn't make you an anti-social sperglord to smoke that much and for you to pretend like it's crazy IS a problem because there is no reasonable basis for 15 joints a day being unhealthy on its own.

Plenty of social and successful people smoke 15 cigs a day and they are way worse for you than weed.

And Warchicken may have overdefended himself but it doesnt change the fact that he was right about your original comment, it's worthless moralizing with no scientific basis. Fifteen joints a day is fine and the science/reality bears it out, get over it.

I know you are one of the permabanned contrarian LF posters but I think the point of the post is pretty clear.

Murmur Twin asked for what makes Warchicken a walking stereotype I quoted Warchicken's own words, then to really drive the point home, made a reference to a well-known highly political, moral panic movie, that is full of half-truths and outright lies. Thereby demonstrating the stereotype that I was accusing him of being. One of the moral panics in the movie is that marijuana would turn teenagers into Reefer Fiends who would smoke constantly all day everyday, and there we have it, full admission that not only would he do it, but that the only reason he doesn't right now is because it is illegal.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

It's also clear that my objections to his smoking are not based on spurious health concerns or some kind of backhand example about how weed should stay illegal 'for his own good.' My objections are from a general societal benefit that spending literally your entire waking day, everyday, high isn't really something you should do. While this is obviously my own opinion, it's an attitude generally shared by many members of society, there is even an adage: "Everything in moderation". I even gave less political examples like video games, and beer to divorce my morality from the "morality" behind the current ban on weed and other drugs.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why isn't it something I should do?

Goddamn right I'd do it, and I'd continue being as awesome as I am. The only reason you think I shouldn't is because you drank the "drugs are bad mkay" Kool aid and don't even realize it. You literally have not given a single actual reason why I shouldn't spend all day every day high other than "societal benefits" such as "reasons".

I'm not saying everyone should smoke like me. Some people can handle that and some can't. But if I want to then you have no right to judge me for it, nor any good reason. Your opinion of people should be based on their actual personalities and achievements rather than how much weed they smoke. You keep calling me a walking stereotype and even said I had "reefer madness" for fucks sake. Should I send you a copy of my résumé? What does a person have to do before you're ok with them smoking pot, become president of the United States? Oh, wait. that also already happened multiple times.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 23, 2013

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Powercrazy posted:

My objections are from a general societal benefit that spending literally your entire waking day, everyday, high isn't really something you should do.

This is begging the question; why is it not something you should do if you want to?

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
He's missing the forest for the trees. If weed becomes legal and high frequency traders and private prison lobbyists start using it all day every day to the point where they cannot perform their previously held duties then I would say that's a net gain for society in general.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Warchicken posted:

Goddamn right I'd do it, and I'd continue being as awesome as I am. The only reason you think I shouldn't is because you drank the "drugs are bad mkay" Kool aid and don't even realize it. You literally have not given a single actual reason why I shouldn't spend all day every day high other than "societal benefits" such as "reasons".

I'm not saying everyone should smoke like me. Some people can handle that and some can't. But if I want to then you have no right to judge me for it, nor any good reason. Your opinion of people should be based on their actual personalities and achievements rather than how much weed they smoke. You keep calling me a walking stereotype and even said I had "reefer madness" for fucks sake. Should I send you a copy of my résumé? What does a person have to do before you're ok with them smoking pot, become president of the United States? Oh, wait. that also already happened multiple times.

You are so defensive it's bizarre. No one is attacking your lifestyle, no one is calling you a loser. Also no-one, except you, feels the need to pre-emptively defend themselves with unprovable anecdotes about their awesome life then project beliefs upon others, beliefs that they demonstrably do not hold.

Your attitude is exactly the wrong one to have, because of the reasons I've detailed, and probably others. If you can't see that, maybe you should sober up and reexamine your awesome life away from the ivory tower that you live in.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Powercrazy posted:

You are so defensive it's bizarre. No one is attacking your lifestyle, no one is calling you a loser.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Warchicken posted:

Well yes, the societal reason is probably good enough because people overwhelmingly tend to think being high all day long isn't a particularly good thing.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

Amused to Death posted:

Well yes, the societal reason is probably good enough because people overwhelmingly tend to think being high all day long isn't a particularly good thing.

Argumentum ad populum. :rolleyes:

Still waiting on why it's a bad thing.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Relax he's just paranoid from all the weed he's smoking :v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Is there some detour this thread took where it started shaming people for cannabis use?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RichieWolk posted:

Argumentum ad populum. :rolleyes:

Still waiting on why it's a bad thing.

What is the meaning of life?

Nonsense posted:

Is there some detour this thread took where it started shaming people for cannabis use?

Is there some detour where criticizing "excessive" cannabis use is the same as criticizing all use?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

For what it's worth, I remember a poll of a bunch of habitual smokers with ready access to top strains, and most of them puffed less than 2 oz. / month, average was around an ounce. If you have access to good, potent weed there's just no reason to puff that much. Even if your joints weighed a half a gram, that's a quarter a day, or about a half pound a month. You'd hardly notice a difference in the effects with the tolerance you'd have. I suppose if you just really enjoyed the act itself but it seems silly.

Feel free to do so though, I couldn't care :2bong:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Is there some detour where criticizing "excessive" cannabis use is the same as criticizing all use?

Yes, you shouldn't do it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Yes, you shouldn't do it.

For just weed, or for everything? What is the list of approved things I can show concern about?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

For just weed, or for everything? What is the list of approved things I can show concern about?

So you admit to concern trolling?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Your argument is that excessive cannabis use creates stay-at-home stoners who can't socialize, correct? Can you not see how that is frustrating to people who smoke a lot who don't fall under that stereotype? Especially when laws are created based on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Amused to Death posted:

The really odd thing was the person earlier who implied being constantly drunk isn't looked down on.

• Locked thread