Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

nrr posted:

The Jam plugs into the lightning socket/port instead of the headphone connector, so yes the headphone connector is free to use for headphones but these apps also are capable of outputting audio to the iPad's main speaker as well. It just seems weird to me why any other audio that is played through the speaker or headphones can be routed to bluetooth headphones, yet Ampkit and Amplitube cannot.

Anyway, I also wanted to point out to you peeps that a thing called Quiztones has gone free for this week (normally $5) which is an ear training app that instead of giving you notes/intervals or scales like most other ear trainers I've seen, gives you different frequencies. Either in the form of sine waves, or boosting or cutting certain frequencies on audio clips of a whole variety of instruments. Looks like a really cool training tool for engineers, or anyone who does their own mixing - which I assume is most of this thread, so check it out.

I imagine Bluetooth audio support is something that needs to be added and the people behind Ampkit and Amplitube have not been pestered enough for Bluetooth audio.

Haven't used the apps, though. I'll download the free Amplitube and see what I can do. I need to try different amps anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
In my experience, streaming audio over bluetooth introduces enough latency to make it less than desirable, though maybe that's down to the particular hardware I was using.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I've been using DM1 to arrange some drum parts on demos I record, but for longer songs the file export doesn't work that great and while I like the convenience of working on my phone, it would be cool to import into Komplete or whatever for more sound options. What's my best option for step sequencing drums and exporting them as MIDI files? I thought Funkbox might work, but I don't think there's a way to create songs the way I do in DM1 (with 8-10 different patterns).

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

In my experience, streaming audio over bluetooth introduces enough latency to make it less than desirable, though maybe that's down to the particular hardware I was using.

Ahh, this is something I didn't think of. That would be a legit problem I guess, so I hope that's not the reason.

Protocol7 just a heads up: the free Amplitube (and Ampkit for that matter) are really limited. Like I think you get 1 amp out of each, a noise gate, and 1 other effect and that's it. I know it's free, but I was expecting a lot more because I thought the free pc demo had a lot more features, although it may have been a timed trial, not a demo. That would probably explain it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

nrr posted:

The Jam plugs into the lightning socket/port instead of the headphone connector, so yes the headphone connector is free to use for headphones but these apps also are capable of outputting audio to the iPad's main speaker as well. It just seems weird to me why any other audio that is played through the speaker or headphones can be routed to bluetooth headphones, yet Ampkit and Amplitube cannot.
It depends on whether the app enables it or not, but audio through bluetooth on iOS devices has some pretty lovely lag so it would be horrid for live playback, which Ampkit/Amplitube are primarily meant for.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just wanted to say that I'm really starting to take a liking to NanoStudio now that I've spent some decent time with it. Still not a huuuuge fan of the Eden Synth, but this is really a great drat app. The sequence editor in particular is lovely once you get used to it. Thinking one of my upcoming projects will be NanoStudio-only :)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What's the best option to plug a guitar into a Lightning Connector these days? I've has the old analog iRig and just can't deal with the feedback issues.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
grab yourself a lighting -> usb adapter and a behringer uca202. the app needs to support using an external interface and the inputs on the uca202 are red/white RCA, but it sounds pretty good. also doesn't require a powered USB hub.
edit: to be clear i don't play a guitar but i play tape decks and monotrons and poo poo into the ipad using the uca202 and it works.

does anyone know much about what iOS7 is going to do for music apps? they're doing native support for inter-app audio, i'm hoping this entails a competent MIDI implementation as well.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

What's the best option to plug a guitar into a Lightning Connector these days? I've has the old analog iRig and just can't deal with the feedback issues.
Get a copy of Rocksmith w./cable off of Amazon($30 for PC version, PS3 and 360 versions would be fine too) or search for a "USB guitar adapter"($10-$20, don't know what quality is like) and plug that into a USB to Lightning connector($25ish). Note that this is mainly for iPads, whereas I think iPhones will just reject the connection because it requires too much power.

Alternatively, you can get an Apogee Jam, AmpKit Link HD, iRiffPort, Line 6 Mobile In, etc etc, though most of those run around $100 and you'll still need a 30-pin to Lightning connector.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

duckfarts posted:

Get a copy of Rocksmith w./cable off of Amazon($30 for PC version, PS3 and 360 versions would be fine too) or search for a "USB guitar adapter"($10-$20, don't know what quality is like) and plug that into a USB to Lightning connector($25ish). Note that this is mainly for iPads, whereas I think iPhones will just reject the connection because it requires too much power.

Alternatively, you can get an Apogee Jam, AmpKit Link HD, iRiffPort, Line 6 Mobile In, etc etc, though most of those run around $100 and you'll still need a 30-pin to Lightning connector.
Yes, this will be primarily for an iPhone.
What about the new iRig to Lightning jack? It doesn't require a 30 pin adapter and is about the same price as the others, is it crap?

I'm not looking to do crazy good production (yet), just a basic scratchpad to piddle on.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

Yes, this will be primarily for an iPhone.
What about the new iRig to Lightning jack? It doesn't require a 30 pin adapter and is about the same price as the others, is it crap?

I'm not looking to do crazy good production (yet), just a basic scratchpad to piddle on.
iRig HD seems fine, but I'd personally spend another 10 bucks to get the AmpKit Link HD because it has output jacks and doesn't have proprietary cablesgod loving dammit people no it actually does have a proprietary cable and jack :negative:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Epileper posted:

and a behringer uca202.
Oh thanks, that's a great recommendation! I've been looking for an iPad-powered, USB audio interface and this seems exactly like what I want.

I would like to buy Samplr and play with it, but currently they say that the only way to import samples is through iTunes :downs: Are there similar Apps that support AudioCopy, or direct recording through the micorphone?

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

samplr supports audiocopy and has a function to record from the microphone. the dude who makes it said he was going to release a big update soon... 3 months ago :(. i really hope he releases it, it's pretty much my favorite music app.

edit: and iostream i was assuming you were using an ipad, i don't think the lighting -> usb adapter works with iphones.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

samplr supports audiocopy and has a function to record from the microphone. the dude who makes it said he was going to release a big update soon... 3 months ago :(. i really hope he releases it, it's pretty much my favorite music app.

Sold! It seems like great fun after recording the first "ooohs" and "aaaahs" and playing around with them :haw: I do miss the ability to trim samples (or set in/out points for the other modes apart from the keyboard mode) and I'd like overdub recording of my finger movements and a consistent 4 beat count-in before recording movements. Maybe we'll get that in the update.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I've just picked up GarageBand and audiobus. What are the must have apps for a beginner looking to dick around making electronic music? Everything looks so complicated and I don't want to throw money away.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

captain wheeto posted:

I've just picked up GarageBand and audiobus. What are the must have apps for a beginner looking to dick around making electronic music? Everything looks so complicated and I don't want to throw money away.

GarageBand is great for getting a feel for it, although it doesn't compare to a full DAW. It gives you a lot of freebies like the Smart instruments for setting up a quick song on the fly.

Really, just play with the instruments until you know how to use each one. It also helps to have some fundamental dance music knowledge, although I learned that myself by dicking around in FL Studio for years. Someone here will know a great place to learn that stuff.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So, I'm looking to lightly mess around with remixing, bedroom DJing, that sort of thing on my iPad. I see there are a fair few apps designed for this sort of thing, but what would be the best one to look at for a decent mix of works with a drat without being too difficult to figure out how to do stuff in it?

Thanks a bunch, folks.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

GarageBand is great for getting a feel for it, although it doesn't compare to a full DAW. It gives you a lot of freebies like the Smart instruments for setting up a quick song on the fly.

Really, just play with the instruments until you know how to use each one. It also helps to have some fundamental dance music knowledge, although I learned that myself by dicking around in FL Studio for years. Someone here will know a great place to learn that stuff.

On the other hand, Garageband is fantastic if you want to use your iOS device to work up the foundation on tracks and you use logic. You can build the bones of a final track, really do most of the main work on GB and then just export your files to Logic to do the heavy lifting/finishing. It's a fantastic workflow, and now that it has audiobus it's pretty much the best thing if you want to do non-EDM type tracks, Right now I do most of my poo poo in GB with audiobus to link in my synths and Manetron and Drum Machines and then record proper "real" instrument overdubs and vocals in Logic.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Yalborap posted:

what would be the best one to look at for a decent mix of works with a drat without being too difficult to figure out how to do stuff in it?

DJ Player or djay 2. Traktor is also good but I don't like it as much as djay 2, which has almost all of traktor's features now.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For anyone unaware, there's a new series of effects apps called AUFX by Kymatica, the developer of awesome apps like AudioShare, BitWiz and Yellofier. So far, he's released Space—a reverb—and Dub—a comprehensive delay that rivals Echo Pad in features. They're $3.99 each and worth every penny.

Also of note, Arturia's Minimoog clone iMini is on sale right now for $6.99, down from $9.99 (which was down from $19.99). If you're a fan of the Moog sound, iMini does an admirable job of emulating the oldschool analog warmth of the Minimoog. Check out this fairly comprehensive review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljHZHMRHEQ

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Epileper posted:

DJ Player or djay 2. Traktor is also good but I don't like it as much as djay 2, which has almost all of traktor's features now.

Seconding djay 2- Traktor is flashy and all, but the fact that cue points can only be set on its auto beat markers is a huge turnoff for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

slomomofo posted:

Seconding djay 2- Traktor is flashy and all, but the fact that cue points can only be set on its auto beat markers is a huge turnoff for me.

Does Djay2 do that cool auto analyzing/beat matching that Traktor does? (You know, for us talentless goof-offs?)

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

yes, though you should just learn to beat-match duder it's realllyyyyyy easy. i honestly don't trust most syncing software. pretty much the only things missing from djay2 imo are harmonic mix analysis, support for MIDI as a whole (as opposed to support just for specific controllers), maybe a better FX implementation (no resonance on the filters, what the gently caress?), and maybe 4 decks like DJ Player. DJ Player is quite professional, it has MIDI and wayyy better FX and 4 decks but the interface just doesn't quite flow smoothly for me.

edit: and yeah, one of my main gripes with traktor is that alot of the functionality seems pretty dependent on the beatgrid, like cue points (as someone already said). i like having a beatgrid available but i don't like depending on it.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Epileper posted:

yes, though you should just learn to beat-match duder it's realllyyyyyy easy. i honestly don't trust most syncing software. pretty much the only things missing from djay2 imo are harmonic mix analysis, support for MIDI as a whole (as opposed to support just for specific controllers), maybe a better FX implementation (no resonance on the filters, what the gently caress?), and maybe 4 decks like DJ Player. DJ Player is quite professional, it has MIDI and wayyy better FX and 4 decks but the interface just doesn't quite flow smoothly for me.

edit: and yeah, one of my main gripes with traktor is that alot of the functionality seems pretty dependent on the beatgrid, like cue points (as someone already said). i like having a beatgrid available but i don't like depending on it.

I love, but suck at, music. So the beatmatching was a fun way to still have a cool mix or make a remix or mashup. I don't have actual tables... I'd love to learn, but these days theres a long list of things I want to learn and time to learn them. ;)

But Djay2 has that? Interesting. :)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Oh god, Propellerhead's Figure just added AudioCopy support! Couple that with Samplr and you have the ultimate jam session tool! :dance:

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Nice catch! I'm going to start playing with that immediately.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

While it's still half-off for $25, anyone have any opinion on Auria?
http://appshopper.com/music/auria

I'm not sure how long the sale will last, so the question might be moot.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
I just bought a Tascam IM2 mic attachment on Amazon cause it was $17 and I figured hey why not. Anyone have one and know if it will work with any RTA apps? I just picked it up for recording stuff, but now I'm thinking it could also be useful for live freq analysis too.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

While it's still half-off for $25, anyone have any opinion on Auria?
http://appshopper.com/music/auria

I'm not sure how long the sale will last, so the question might be moot.

I don't own it, but I've been tempted to buy it to do some mastering work on the tracks I compose with BeatMaker 2. However, I've heard too many reports of very spotty performance on even the latest iPad to feel comfortable spending the money, even at half off. Considering I'd also be buying a couple of the IAP plugins, I don't find poor performance acceptable for a $90+ purchase when all's said and done. I'm also not fond of the desktop style UI found all over the app, especially the menus.

I'd really like to have Pro-Q on my iPad, but I get by with Level.24, and ever since I bought AUFX:Space my desire for Auria's reverb plugin has disappeared.

If you own a 4th gen iPad or plan on upgrading to the 5th gen this fall, and can forgive the iffy UI, Auria is a good purchase for $25.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

to anyone who has Cubasis: does it have a sidechain input on the compressor? it looks great otherwise but if it doesn't have sidechaining then i'd regret spending $50 on it.

edit: according to the audiobus forum there is not. well that's silly.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 26, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since it's apparently 100% impossible for an app to publish something to iTunes on an iOS device, does anyone know of any clever "music playing app" that can copy in tracks from AudioPaste to make an alternative database of songs?

Right now I'm using NanoStudio's mixdown, copying it to my desktop with NanoSync, and depending on my mood copying it back to my device with iTunes. Most apps seem to support one of dropbox or soundcloud but it would be really nice to be able to work without any kind of network connection. Just using NanoStudio to play is not a good option because it won't output over bluetooth nor is it wise to be messing around with loading tracks while driving.

I just want to be able to queue up some sketches and easily listen to them in the car. :qq:

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Maybe Audioshare? Basically it is the swiss army knife of music apps.

Never mind it won't do playlists unless you import from itunes and it won't auto play consecutive tracks.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 29, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just using NanoStudio to play is not a good option because it won't output over bluetooth nor is it wise to be messing around with loading tracks while driving.

I just want to be able to queue up some sketches and easily listen to them in the car. :qq:

You could open the songs in GoodReader (you should already have GoodReader installed ;) ), put them in a directory there and it should play them one after the other.

Edit: AudioCopy the track into Hokusai (you'll need the AudioCopy IAP) and then hit "Quick Export" and choose to open the file in another App after export. Choose "Open in GoodReader" when the export is done. From GoodReader you can also copy files to/from a computer over WiFi.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 29, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with that is that nanostudio (or any other music app I use) does not have an "open in..." option which is the only way I know of to get stuff into something like Goodreader.

It's a bit comical that it's easier to send a file out over the internet and re-download it is than it is to copy it to a different directory on my phone.

FLX posted:

Edit: AudioCopy the track into Hokusai (you'll need the AudioCopy IAP) and then hit "Quick Export" and choose to open the file in another App after export. Choose "Open in GoodReader" when the export is done. From GoodReader you can also copy files to/from a computer over WiFi.
Oops, you typed that as I was posting.

I guess that's one way to do it. Kind of dumb but I'll take what I can get.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone got any experience with using their iPad as a guitar effects unit? I'm trying to toss up between which amp/effects modeling app to throw money at but the free versions barely give you anything to play with. I think you get a noise gate (woo!) and either a delay or a simple fuzz on the free versions of Amplitube and Jam Up. I don't care too much about which has the best amp modeling because I've already got the amp sound I want. Looking to experiment with going guitar > iPad > loop pedal > amp.

Basically I'm looking for the app with the best selection of effects that I can setup as a little virtual pedal board and trigger live.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The app included with the Line 6 Mobile In device comes with a ton of effects. I'm not sure if you can use the app with other devices, or whether the effects are any good. I'm not really a guitar player, so I just use it to mess around with (works great with a Silent Brass and a trumpet).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

Anyone recommend anything on iPad home recording?

Figure I'll get whatever interface I need to plug my guitar or a mic into my iPad and record into GarageBand. Does GarageBand on the iPad do decent amp modeling or is there a way to mutli task with an amp modeler to record into GarageBand?

Any tips in general?

Posted this in the wrong thread. Looked over the OP. Looks like maybe Beat Maker may be my best bet in the end? I don't mind the extra bucks if it works.

Is the Peavey AmpKit my best bet as far as interfaces go? One thing I'd also like to do is use an iPad to store/play back samples for live shows. Would Beat Maker fill that gap as well when not using it as a home studio solution?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

This belongs in here as well: modular - for iPad & iPhone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSnS8ykzWj4

Looks awesome!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess it's time to get a stylus because that is a ton of tiny little bits to fit on a phone screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread. Looked over the OP. Looks like maybe Beat Maker may be my best bet in the end? I don't mind the extra bucks if it works.

Is the Peavey AmpKit my best bet as far as interfaces go? One thing I'd also like to do is use an iPad to store/play back samples for live shows. Would Beat Maker fill that gap as well when not using it as a home studio solution?

As far as guitar interfaces, the AmpKit Link isn't bad, but if you've got the money, go for the Apogee Jam.

For effects processors, JamUp Pro XT and AmpKit are the two big ones.

I find BeatMaker 2's drum and keyboard samplers to be the best samplers on iOS currently. If you're just triggering samples, BM2 will more than suffice. If you're doing looping, look into Loopy HD.

• Locked thread