Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

In general, it does seem easier to romanticize a valiant loser than a winner. People romanticize Lee rather than Grant for the same reason we remember Hannibal more than Scipio. poo poo, how boring would Rocky be if Apollo was the protagonist and we watched him almost lose to some schlub?

e: not a statement on the politics of romanticizing the Confederacy/Klan/Carthaginians/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

I had a documentary in my netflix queue but I can't find it now and it's driving me crazy. It had a foreign name for the title, which may have started with a S or a B. It was something about people living in a trash and garbage dumps, or just living in hellish places. I *know* it is NOT Waste Land. It looked very bleak and I wanted to see it, but kept putting it off. Now, I can't remember it and can't find it.

It sounds a little bit like "Dark Days."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

penismightier posted:

There's also a few shorts where the Union are the heroes, but they don't have any charge to them. He can't find any romance in the Union army.
I think, speaking specifically of Griffith, that it's a more fundamental problem. He wants to be progressive-ish (like he'd never be a fight-the-power lefty, but maybe an LBJ flawed-but-trying-to-overcome pragmatist) but he really has no clue of how to do it. Like the His Trust shorts are completely minstrel-show racist, but they're absolutely framed in a way that we're supposed to take the Old George character as being admirable---it's just that Griffith can't contextualise black goodness except in terms of value to white characters. There are other Biograph shorts that follow this general pattern, and they do not even, as a rule, feel the need to paint the white characters are particularly admirable.

You can see the same sort of thing in a lot of his cowboy-and-Indian shorts. Many of them use the Indians as generic, straight-from-central-casting bad guys and follow all of the problematic conventions of the day. Others attempt to approach them with more nuance, but that usually ends up being more paternalistic condescension masquerading as consideration---the typical noble savage schtick. There are a few films---like The Massacre (1914)---which seem to invite us to sympathise with the Native Americans on a purely human level, but usually in the form of pathos for their woeful inadequacy to protect themselves---in the end legitimising white dominance by implicitly granting it the dignity of natural law.

Broken Blossoms (1919) is really a good illustration of the problems of race in Griffith's work, in the way its (apparently) earnest attempt to be broad-minded is brightly limned by what today looks like burlesque racism. The bad guy's white, the film goes out of its way to allow the non-white protagonist to be noble without divorcing him from his Otherness, and so on, but at the same time it's a white guy in yellowface, it's full of comical racial stereotyping, and while it doesn't demand the non-white character's cultural assimilation, it can only permit him an emasculated, purely spiritual love for the white woman who is the object of his desire. And so on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Shameful thread tells me to watch Almost Famous but it turns out there's an extended version? Which do I watch - theatrical or extended?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Shameful thread tells me to watch Almost Famous but it turns out there's an extended version? Which do I watch - theatrical or extended?

Most people prefer the Extended version, but I thought it was a slog.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

Most people prefer the Extended version, but I thought it was a slog.
People describe lots of my favorite movies as slogs, so Extended it is! Thanks!

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Always watch the theatrical first! I believe this is a good rule that works in your favour in about 95 % of cases. Exceptions might be Dark City and Blade Runner, neither of which I have seen the theatrical cut of.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Is Susan Backlinie (the first victim in Jaws) actually in Grizzly (1976)? And if so, where? I'd love a screencap.

WolfenFilms
Aug 24, 2013

Give me my damn Oscar already you jerks.

BisonDollah posted:

Is Susan Backlinie (the first victim in Jaws) actually in Grizzly (1976)? And if so, where? I'd love a screencap.

The answer to that is a solid maybe. Supposedly her scenes may or may not have been cut.

But as of the cut that exists, she's not.

Well, that's just how the hell it goes I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

csidle posted:

Always watch the theatrical first! I believe this is a good rule that works in your favour in about 95 % of cases. Exceptions might be Dark City and Blade Runner, neither of which I have seen the theatrical cut of.

Kingdom of Heavens is another one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
So's Riddick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I actually really hate the Chronicles of Riddick Director's cut. It somehow makes the entire movie EVEN CHEESIER by taking the general concept and implication of Riddick as the messiah/Mordred figure and bringing it to the fore-front, complete with explicit explaining that Furians are more awesome than regular humans. The director's cut takes a pretty decent story and adds exposition. It's terrible and I have spent the last 7 years searching for the the theatrical cut on DVD.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

WolfenFilms posted:

The answer to that is a solid maybe. Supposedly her scenes may or may not have been cut.

But as of the cut that exists, she's not.

:( That is so disappointing. I'm uneasy about calling it the most shame-faced Jaws rip-off of all time, now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snak posted:

I actually really hate the Chronicles of Riddick Director's cut. It somehow makes the entire movie EVEN CHEESIER by taking the general concept and implication of Riddick as the messiah/Mordred figure and bringing it to the fore-front, complete with explicit explaining that Furians are more awesome than regular humans. The director's cut takes a pretty decent story and adds exposition. It's terrible and I have spent the last 7 years searching for the the theatrical cut on DVD.

Which version is likely to have been shown on tv in the UK? I saw it a few years ago and have no idea which version of the movie it was. It did have lots of silly stuff about prophecies and Riddick being the chosen one and poo poo.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
The director's cut of Riddick is a way better over-the-top space opera. The theatrical cut is a better corny PG-13 action flick. That isn't meant as an insult -- they're just way different in tone, from the bigger emphasis on Furyan mythology in the DC right down to the cutting of various one-liners and adding of character beats throughout, changing the tone of the final line/final shot, etc.

If you aren't sure which one you've seen, there's a great breakdown of the differences here.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Which version is likely to have been shown on tv in the UK? I saw it a few years ago and have no idea which version of the movie it was. It did have lots of silly stuff about prophecies and Riddick being the chosen one and poo poo.

That's the stuff I don't like. It makes the contrast between the "first film" (Pitch Black) and Chronicles even bigger. In the director's cut, not only is there a prophecy, not only is Riddick the chosen one, but he has mystical visions that explain this to him. All of these element except the mystical visions exist in the theatrical cut, they just aren't thrown in your face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snak posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Ri...cles+of+riddick

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oh I found it. I meant like, when I'm in a store and I see Chronicles of Riddick on dvd I always checked if it included the theatrical cut. I finally found it on a limited edition steelbox bluray dvd combo pack. I haven't checked by probably it's just on the bluray...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Can I describe a movie that came out in the last ten years as best as I can remember it and have people tell me what movie I'm thinking of or is that not right for this thread (is there a what movie am I thinking of? thread?)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Krinkle posted:

(is there a what movie am I thinking of? thread?)

Yep.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
I'm taking a class on Special Education this semester, and as part of the class, I need to watch and discuss 5 films about people with disabilities. These disabilities can be physical, emotional, or cognitive, but the disability/the character(s) with said disability should be the main focus of the film. I can think of a few obvious ones like Children of a Lesser God, Rain Man, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Miracle Worker, Freaks, Murderball (we're watching this in class so it's off limits), and The King's Speech, but I'm looking for some recommendations from CineD folks. My prof wants us to cover as much time as possible, so the films I choose cannot have release dates within 5 years of another film. Older films are definitely preferred, since I can mostly think of newer ones. Also, the films do NOT have to be particularly kind to or accepting of people with disabilities. The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

edit: Mixed up City of Lost Children (I'm not sure if this is even a movie or something I made up) with Children of a Lesser God.

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 30, 2013

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The first documentary that comes to mind is Werner Herzog's Land of Silence and Darkness.

If leprosy counts, there's a short documentary film called The House Is Black.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Titicut Follies comes to mind. It's a documentary from 1967 about the conditions at the Bridgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane. It's all fly-on-the-wall footage that uses editing to create context instead of a narrator or talking heads. It's really depressing in parts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Mental with General Ripper and physical with Dr. Strangelove. Also, Mandrake hints at having PTSD from his time as a Japanese POW.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tip Toes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRdEVthmWM

Edit: Serious answer, The Station Agent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

dreadnought posted:

I'm taking a class on Special Education this semester, and as part of the class, I need to watch and discuss 5 films about people with disabilities. These disabilities can be physical, emotional, or cognitive, but the disability/the character(s) with said disability should be the main focus of the film. I can think of a few obvious ones like City of Lost Children, Rain Man, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Miracle Worker, Freaks, Murderball (we're watching this in class so it's off limits), and The King's Speech, but I'm looking for some recommendations from CineD folks. My prof wants us to cover as much time as possible, so the films I choose cannot have release dates within 5 years of another film. Older films are definitely preferred, since I can mostly think of newer ones. Also, the films do NOT have to be particularly kind to or accepting of people with disabilities. The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

I haven't seen it but Johnny Got His Gun from 1971 probably counts.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Not sure if this is a good suggestion but one that springs to mind is RoboCop. PTSD after severe trauma, a troubled rehabilitation and coming to terms with a new body created by technology "nice shootin' son, what's your name?" "Murphy".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dreadnought posted:

I'm taking a class on Special Education this semester, and as part of the class, I need to watch and discuss 5 films about people with disabilities. These disabilities can be physical, emotional, or cognitive, but the disability/the character(s) with said disability should be the main focus of the film. I can think of a few obvious ones like City of Lost Children, Rain Man, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Miracle Worker, Freaks, Murderball (we're watching this in class so it's off limits), and The King's Speech, but I'm looking for some recommendations from CineD folks. My prof wants us to cover as much time as possible, so the films I choose cannot have release dates within 5 years of another film. Older films are definitely preferred, since I can mostly think of newer ones. Also, the films do NOT have to be particularly kind to or accepting of people with disabilities. The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

I was recommended "Taare Zameen Par" or "Like Stars on Earth," which is about dyslexia. It's recent, but it's also Hindi, so it might be possible to get an exemption on the requirement for the release date on the basis that it's covering a wider geographical and cultural range instead.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

dreadnought posted:

Clean, Shaven is a startlingly realistic portrayal of schizophrenia, it's also fairly neutral so it doesn't make any sweeping statements and lets the condition speak for itself.
There are some more obvious ones, like My Left Foot, the film based on the life of Christy Brown, which deals with a man who has cerebral palsy. Sling Blade is an absolutely excellent film, and for something more quickly digestible, the short film it was based off of would also work remarkably well, the protagonist is developmentally challenged.
Mary and Max is a very sweet animated film with a clear (but also fairly depressing) look at the relationship between a young girl and her pen-pal, who suffers from Asperger's.
Scent of a Woman deals with blindness, but it's fairly Oscar baity, it would be good viewing for a more mainstream approach to the subject. Dancer in the Dark is a far better alternative.
Even though it's only one character in a series of interlocking stories, Babel has one character with deafness and it's one of more interesting portrayals of the disability.
I personally think it's garbage, but there's also I am Sam for another look at a character with a developmental disability.

Comedy Option: Tommy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't seen it But Children of a Lesser God is from 1986 and stars an academy award winning Marlee Matlin.
For another old one 1967's Wait Until Dark stars Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman being terrorized by a burglar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dreadnought posted:

You are committing a criminal offence if one of the films isn't Chang Cheh's Crippled Avengers/Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (1978). His One-Armed Swordsman (1967) also qualifies and is the more historically important film, but gently caress, how often do you get to do something on Crippled Avengers?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it But Children of a Lesser God is from 1986 and stars an academy award winning Marlee Matlin.
For another old one 1967's Wait Until Dark stars Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman being terrorized by a burglar.

I could not remember COALG! The Devil and Daniel Johnson about mental illness; the Diving Bell And the Butterfly is about locked-in syndrome; not sure if that counts but oh my sweet Lord, what a film.

The Sessions is good too, same subject. Not nearly as good though.

Comedy option: Blind Fury. With Rutger Hauer, if memory serves me correctly.

Has anyone mentioned Freaks?

Ah, SubG's post has reminded me of Zatoichi, the Blind Samurai.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

dreadnought posted:

The Elephant Man

Disney's Hunchback Mask

Its a Wonderful Life

... Shame.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 30, 2013

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Bio-Dome

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Comedy option:
Lar's Von Trier's Idioterne.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dreadnought posted:

The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

I Am Not a Freak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnqihE_nOxw

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

therattle posted:

Has anyone mentioned Freaks?

I did in my original post; my prof recommended it specifically. I've never seen it so I'm going to try to hunt it down.

Some really great suggestions. I didn't even think about Zatoichi, but that's an awesome one. Nor did I think about The Devil and Daniel Johnston. I had thought about Marwencol though, along similar lines (he was schizophrenic too, wasn't he?).

Anyway, thanks folks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Comedy option: Blind Fury. With Rutger Hauer, if memory serves me correctly.

Ah, SubG's post has reminded me of Zatoichi, the Blind Samurai.

Zatoichi is Blind Fury Right?

Lars and the Real Girl?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dreadnought posted:

I'm taking a class on Special Education this semester, and as part of the class, I need to watch and discuss 5 films about people with disabilities. These disabilities can be physical, emotional, or cognitive, but the disability/the character(s) with said disability should be the main focus of the film. I can think of a few obvious ones like Children of a Lesser God, Rain Man, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Miracle Worker, Freaks, Murderball (we're watching this in class so it's off limits), and The King's Speech, but I'm looking for some recommendations from CineD folks. My prof wants us to cover as much time as possible, so the films I choose cannot have release dates within 5 years of another film. Older films are definitely preferred, since I can mostly think of newer ones. Also, the films do NOT have to be particularly kind to or accepting of people with disabilities. The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

edit: Mixed up City of Lost Children (I'm not sure if this is even a movie or something I made up) with Children of a Lesser God.

Son of Frankenstein, Young Frankenstein. (Burgonmeister - physical, Ygor - physical, Monster - mental). Good for comparisons between the 2 as well since the base of the characters is the same, but produced ~60 years apart so they're viewed differently.

There's also that Twilight Zone episode about the pig-face people being "normal".

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

You are committing a criminal offence if one of the films isn't Chang Cheh's Crippled Avengers/Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (1978). His One-Armed Swordsman (1967) also qualifies and is the more historically important film, but gently caress, how often do you get to do something on Crippled Avengers?

Seconded wholeheartedly.