Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chernobyl Prize posted:

You can sell weapons to Iran and get a show on Fox. Give them a few months and George Zimmerman will be a contributor.

Seriously, Literal War Criminal and Treason Doer Oliver North is constantly brought out as an expert and given his own show and poo poo. I think they have room for big Z.

Also speaking of North, today he was huffing and puffing about Syria and talking about how taking any action on Assad would be 'helping the enemy'. Ollie North condemning anyone for 'helping the enemy' in the middle east, just or not, should be an instant source of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Seriously?

I know trolling is part of Fox's mission statement, but it isn't supposed to be this obvious.

All right fox news, if you want to throw yourself in league with child murderers, go right on ahead.

What kind of 'valuable input' could he offer anyway? "Gosh, why didn't cops let the murderers wander around the station without being charged"?

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 23, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Raneman posted:

What's wrong with sending women into combat again, supposedly? Ever since we starting using muskets instead of pikes and swords women have been just about as effective as men. What's the moral or logical reason these people are proposing for not sending women into combat?

Because a girl might see your pee pee.

quote:

Societal norms are a reality, and their maintenance is important to most members of a society. It is humiliating enough to relieve yourself in front of your male comrades; one can only imagine the humiliation of being forced to relieve yourself in front of the opposite sex.
Despite the professionalism of Marines, it would be distracting and potentially traumatizing to be forced to be naked in front of the opposite sex, particularly when your body has been ravaged by lack of hygiene. In the reverse, it would be painful to witness a member of the opposite sex in such an uncomfortable and awkward position. Combat effectiveness is based in large part on unit cohesion. The relationships among members of a unit can be irreparably harmed by forcing them to violate societal norms.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hey, this is no bullshit. My uncle died in vietnam when a whole platoon of charlie ambushed his unit with photos of naked people who hadn't showered in a bit and had pubes. Imagine living back then, when images of soldiers being subjected to life outside of societal norms were broadcast on national TV across the nation. I heard someone even got shot over there.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This is why doctors have to train like 10 years. You go in that room and see a grossly unhygienic woman and you can see her genitals, and then you have to get in there and deliver that baby. The medical stuff is hard enough, but preparing for the violation of societal norms takes years.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raneman posted:

What's wrong with sending women into combat again, supposedly? Ever since we starting using muskets instead of pikes and swords women have been just about as effective as men. What's the moral or logical reason these people are proposing for not sending women into combat?

Well the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces has a few thinks to share on that matter

quote:

If combat means living in a ditch, females have biological problems staying in a ditch for thirty days because they get infections and they don't have upper body strength. I mean, some do, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, men are basically little piglets, you drop them in the ditch, they roll around in it, doesn't matter, you know. These things are very real. On the other hand, if combat means being on an Aegis-class cruiser managing the computer controls for twelve ships and their rockets, a female may be again dramatically better than a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to go out and hunt giraffes.

I'd find the quote from Al Franken where he accuses Newt of thinking that menstruation is an infection but I've been sitting in one place for over ten minutes now and my evopsych biotruth inhibitors are commanding me to go run down a wildebeest and kill it with a bit of sharp rock.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So Rush made it official that he's staying with Cumulus, except in New York. But as I said before, Clear Channel has a station all lined up for him (and Hannity).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seoinin posted:

Well the leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces has a few thinks to share on that matter

I'd find the quote from Al Franken where he accuses Newt of thinking that menstruation is an infection but I've been sitting in one place for over ten minutes now and my evopsych biotruth inhibitors are commanding me to go run down a wildebeest and kill it with a bit of sharp rock.

All of these things are said by people who have never done any of them or seen anyone do them, I'd wager.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

This is why doctors have to train like 10 years. You go in that room and see a grossly unhygienic woman and you can see her genitals, and then you have to get in there and deliver that baby. The medical stuff is hard enough, but preparing for the violation of societal norms takes years.

But the doctor's penis is still shielded from humiliating scrutiny.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

But the doctor's penis is still shielded from humiliating scrutiny.

Maybe the guy writing that just has a tiny penis that he doesn't want women to see.

There really just isn't any actual logic or reason behind it at all.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Zeroisanumber posted:

Goons in the ME thread are despondent about the loss of AJ English.

Er, what loss? It's still there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

eviltastic posted:

No. Now it's Al-Jazeera America, and everything is terrible. :(

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

eviltastic posted:

AJE has gone out of its way to cut off all streams. I've only found one likely streamed from a non-US user, and by all accounts the channel has a limited audience, and goons aren't going to pay for cable happily. They even had a little survey all about removing the livestream and what it meant back in March-April I believe, gently caress people who didn't all tell them to keep it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
We're talking about the new webpage, right? There's a link to AJE at the bottom of the page for Al Jazeera America.

e: ah, I see.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nonsense posted:

AJE has gone out of its way to cut off all streams. I've only found one likely streamed from a non-US user, and by all accounts the channel has a limited audience, and goons aren't going to pay for cable happily. They even had a little survey all about removing the livestream and what it meant back in March-April I believe, gently caress people who didn't all tell them to keep it.

Al Jazeera has said they are "working on it" in regards to the AJE stream, they know it was a very unpopular move. Hopefully a legitimate solution is found soon.

AJAM is much better than the rest of US cable news, anyway - it's just not as good as AJE for international coverage.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Al Jazeera has said they are "working on it" in regards to the AJE stream, they know it was a very unpopular move. Hopefully a legitimate solution is found soon.

AJAM is much better than the rest of US cable news, anyway - it's just not as good as AJE for international coverage.

Wish Time Warner and AT&T weren't RAH RAH AMURICUH about it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

Wish Time Warner and AT&T weren't RAH RAH AMURICUH about it.

Same here with GCI

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just read some comment about how we aren't hearing a peep about Chris Lane from MSNBC in an article about Chris Lane on MSNBC.

:psyboom:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jazerus posted:

Can AJE still be found on Roku? I love watching that channel but I have been away from the house for a few days so I am scared to return home?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dr Christmas posted:

I just read some comment about how we aren't hearing a peep about Chris Lane from MSNBC in an article about Chris Lane on MSNBC.

:psyboom:

I think they're being a bit false but I always get the distinct feeling that they're angry that not every single news site in the world looks like drudge and that's why they're mad. The same way Christianity is under attack and is the most oppressed religion in America because the government doesn't blanket the country with bibles out of B2 bombers every month.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. Now it's Al-Jazeera America, and everything is terrible. :(

I realize it's the cool kid thing to do to act like AJA is some carbon copy of Fox News or whatever, but it's not. It hasn't been on the air but a couple days and people are acting like they've been covering nothing but celebrity news. Even if the first week was like that(and it hasn't been), try and give it a chance. It's really tiresome to see so many people making GBS threads all over the first ray of sunshine in a stormy sky of bullshit just to get a little hipster cred for how "in the know" they are.

Yeah, we will all miss the AJE stream. But calm the gently caress down and give it time.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Warchicken posted:

I realize it's the cool kid thing to do to act like AJA is some carbon copy of Fox News or whatever, but it's not. It hasn't been on the air but a couple days and people are acting like they've been covering nothing but celebrity news. Even if the first week was like that(and it hasn't been), try and give it a chance. It's really tiresome to see so many people making GBS threads all over the first ray of sunshine in a stormy sky of bullshit just to get a little hipster cred for how "in the know" they are.

Yeah, we will all miss the AJE stream. But calm the gently caress down and give it time.

I've heard AJAM's coverage is pretty decent if more domestic than most of Al Jazeera's stuff, but the frustrating part for me personally is that not a single provider in my area carries it and now I can't even watch the AJE stream; I get the impression that this is a problem for a decent percentage of AJE's previous American viewership.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I used to be able to catch AJE on Time Warner Cable but since AJAM opened up its gone, even though the channel for it is still up but doesn't show it. I'm really hoping they pick up AJAM

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Comcast carries AJAM, which ensures its continued place in what passes for the top tier of any sort of home user-focused telecom company in the United States: tolerable to great unless you have to call the support line for any reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Technogeek posted:

Comcast carries AJAM, which ensures its continued place in what passes for the top tier of any sort of home user-focused telecom company in the United States: tolerable to great unless you have to call the support line for any reason.

After years of having comcast and hating it, I moved somewhere with Time Warner (and no FIOS option). I'd pay more to get comcast now. This is one of many reasons.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
RCN doesn't carry Al Jazeera America but then again they did a terrible fluff piece about "Zombie Pigeons in Russia" which was just dogshit.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

nm posted:

After years of having comcast and hating it, I moved somewhere with Time Warner (and no FIOS option). I'd pay more to get comcast now. This is one of many reasons.

After spending two hours on the phone with Comcast support yesterday to fix a problem that was their fault, I find this hard to believe. And it looks like AJA is only on their upper tier cable sub, so I don't get it.

Does anyone else find most of the left wing news shows just as intolerable as the right wing stuff? I'm a huge liberal, but I was trying to listen to Progress radio on XM and found most of the hosts to be just as obnoxious as Rush, Hannity, Levin, et al. I'm not trying to start a derail, it just seems that both sides are often intentionally dense, ignoring obvious information so they can blast the other side. But I suppose that's the point.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

sleepingbuddha posted:

Does anyone else find most of the left wing news shows just as intolerable as the right wing stuff? I'm a huge liberal, but I was trying to listen to Progress radio on XM and found most of the hosts to be just as obnoxious as Rush, Hannity, Levin, et al. I'm not trying to start a derail, it just seems that both sides are often intentionally dense, ignoring obvious information so they can blast the other side. But I suppose that's the point.

This right here is like the definition of false equivalency. There may be left wing talkers that are just as bad, but they don't draw nearly the audience. They also don't hold nearly as much sway within the Democratic party. Elected officials have had to back down and nearly apologize for statements they've made about Rush Limbaugh in the past. There is no left wing equivalent of that no matter how hard you try to make it. They can jaw on and on about regressives or whatever the hell they bitch about, but there's no way they're poisoning discourse as much as right wing talk radio is.

You're essentially comparing the AM right wing media machine to someone like the left wing equivalent of Adam Carolla. They can draw an audience to be sure, but barely anyone gives any fucks about it.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

ErIog posted:

This right here is like the definition of false equivalency. There may be left wing talkers that are just as bad, but they don't draw nearly the audience. They also don't hold nearly as much sway within the Democratic party. Elected officials have had to back down and nearly apologize for statements they've made about Rush Limbaugh in the past. There is no left wing equivalent of that no matter how hard you try to make it. They can jaw on and on about regressives or whatever the hell they bitch about, but there's no way they're poisoning discourse as much as right wing talk radio is.

You're essentially comparing the AM right wing media machine to someone like the left wing equivalent of Adam Carolla. They can draw an audience to be sure, but barely anyone gives any fucks about it.

I don't think he's at all calling them equivalent in harm or content, just equally annoying. Like, have you ever watched Hardball? I would agree with Chris Matthews on a lot of subjects, but ultimately I just want him to shut the gently caress up. He never loving stops shouting. You've got a microphone right on you, Chris! We can all hear you perfectly fine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sleepingbuddha posted:

After spending two hours on the phone with Comcast support yesterday to fix a problem that was their fault, I find this hard to believe. And it looks like AJA is only on their upper tier cable sub, so I don't get it.

Almost every single elected Democrat will condemn the reactionary bullshit spewed by hardcore liberal radio DJs and talking heads because it is a toxic message and contributes nothing to the advancement of general political discourse.

The GOP on the other hand has doubled down on the reactionary race-baiting propaganda because the only people still staunchly GOP are middle-aged and elderly white people, mostly male, and any attempts to court minorities or soften their position results in a stream of attacks from Tea Party activists and other superpac funded organizations.

You can whine and bitch and about liberals but trying to portray the extremist left wing of American politics as having anywhere near the influence of Rush, Hannity, or Fox News is disingenuous at best and trolling at worst.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I get that, and I'll admit my response might be kind of off the mark. I just think it's important to point out the potential for false equivalency before someone tries to play their Bill Maher trump card with :smug:

The only left wing people I can stand are Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes. I hate Chris Hayes as a host, but he does a good job with actual journalism stuff. There's really not anyone else in left wing media that really draws an audience worthy of mentioning. They might be the worst in the world, but if they aren't affecting the dialogue then I'm not sure why we should care. To bring them up in this thread at all to me strikes of some amount of false equivalency.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 24, 2013

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

ErIog posted:

I get that, and I'll admit my response might be kind of off the mark. I just think it's important to point out the potential for false equivalency before someone tries to play their Bill Maher trump card with :smug:

The only left wing people I can stand are Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes. I hate Chris Hayes as a host, but he does a good job with actual journalism stuff. There's really not anyone else in left wing media that really draws an audience worthy of mentioning. They might be the worst in the world, but if they aren't affecting the dialogue then I'm not sure why we should care. To bring them up in this thread at all to me strikes of some amount of false equivalency.

You gotta consider who it's coming from a lot of times. If I saw his post in a Yahoo comments section or something like that I'd have your exact same reaction, but if you look at his posts in this thread you'll see he's just a regular goon. I don't think he's trying to draw a meaningful comparison. Maybe I'm just projecting, but it seems his problem is with all this infotainment bullshit (holy poo poo infotainment is in the spellchecker?) that passes for news these days, regardless of political affiliation. Always gotta have some charismatic (in the loosest possible definition of the word) rear end in a top hat delivering the punditry.

OH NO MY DICK fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 24, 2013

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say they're the same at all. I think it speaks to critical thinking that the left's version of talk radio and news isn't nearly as influential. I was really just wondering if others found a lot of the left wing hosts just as annoying to listen to. I find right wing media more entertaining, just because I like yelling at the screen/radio.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sleepingbuddha posted:

I like yelling at the screen/radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zYlOU7Fpk

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ErIog posted:

The only left wing people I can stand are Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes.

Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman and Bill Press are pretty OK.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Bill Moyers?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was not pleased with Stephanie Miller the other week for basically going after Glenn Greenwald and claiming that the White House would have made the same concessions on NSA spying normally, but Snowden messed that up. One of her co-hosts really disagreed with her at least.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was not pleased with Stephanie Miller the other week for basically going after Glenn Greenwald and claiming that the White House would have made the same concessions on NSA spying normally, but Snowden messed that up. One of her co-hosts really disagreed with her at least.

Yeah, Miller can really be a bit insufferable when it comes to valid critiques of the president, since she only has three basic "settings" for a response; agrees with you about how great the president is, agrees to disagree with you politely about an issue only to promptly drop it, or you are literally too stupid to talk to. The saving grace is like you said; she's got two partners with her who occasionally chime in from the other angle and don't just fall in line by default, and it's a great benefit to the show. But speaking about her specifically, she's got a huge blind-spot for anything morally questionable that might be bad for the administration, like drone-policy or the NSA spying. It's not a debate; you are objectively wrong, because Obama is saving lives and just what would you do if it meant lives were on the line, huh? Not so easy, is it?!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm not sure where this goes, but he's a Right Wing Media figure:

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-sues-trump-university-rich-claims-005703082.html

Feel good story of the day - hopefully they'll nail him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ReindeerF posted:

I'm not sure where this goes, but he's a Right Wing Media figure:

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-sues-trump-university-rich-claims-005703082.html

Feel good story of the day - hopefully they'll nail him.

This is the part that gets me.

quote:

Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says many of the 5,000 students who paid up to $35,000 thought they would at least meet Trump but instead all they got was their picture taken in front of a life-size picture of "The Apprentice" TV star.

:psyduck: