Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Can't you just download it on PC and sync it to your phone

I beat the bento box seller and even the food has profiles

Oceanbound fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Project1 posted:

Sorry for the double post, but what was that Bard's Tale clone, Silversword, like? Are the dungeons oldschool (i.e. insanely frustrating)?

Any other good RPGs besides Avadon/Avernum?

It's not purely an RPG but I just came here to say I reinstalled Heroes and Castles after a few months and they've pretty much doubled the amount of content with updates since then. 5 new classes to the original 4 and a new campaign, hopefully with new units! No idea what the MP implications are but maybe there are some balance fixes. This game never got much attention here but it is where I heard of it. I love it!

Edit: and there are definitely a shitload of new units

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 24, 2013

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
So this game is actually pretty cool. I'm sure it's more than most people want to spend, but it's pretty unique

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

:ducksiren: hunters episode 1 went free :ducksiren: I haven't played it but it get mentions on this thread pretty often.

http://appshopper.com/games/hunters-episode-one-hd

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
So I recently discovered the magic of picross games and i wondered if you guys knew of a good one?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Rexicon1 posted:

So I recently discovered the magic of picross games and i wondered if you guys knew of a good one?
iPacross is pretty good, although the "arcade mode" puzzles where they penalize you for mistakes are annoying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pixelogic HD is the best I've found.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eegah posted:

Yeah, this one's great, and it has literally thousands of puzzles (daily archives going back for years). I eventually had to delete it because I'd never play anything else.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Eegah posted:

haveblue posted:

Yeah, this one's great, and it has literally thousands of puzzles (daily archives going back for years). I eventually had to delete it because I'd never play anything else.

The Rokstar posted:

iPacross is pretty good, although the "arcade mode" puzzles where they penalize you for mistakes are annoying.

Thanks for the rec's! This poo poo is maddeningly addictive.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
Is there a way to speed up the tutorial in PandD or do you just have to go through the whole rigamarole to find out who your leader is?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The whole rigamarole. Maybe watch a movie while you do it. :(

Every week or two the game does a "Godfest" where rolls get gods more often and there are new gods. It's more painless to start a real playthrough on these times.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$35 for a $50 iTunes card here:
http://feedly.com/k/12yFfOc

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Thanks for the heads up. Only wish I could have gotten 2.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I finally picked up Tapped Out after the non stop raving about it in this thread for months and the first thing I try, as with all apps, is minimising it and then reopening it. It takes a good 30s to load after that. What the hell is it about some apps that means you can't multitask with them and how the gently caress can anyone put up with that bullshit? It's the reason I immediately deleted Final Fantasy 1 and the reason I'm likely to delete Tapped Out before I even finish the tutorial.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

JDM3 posted:

Is there a way to speed up the tutorial in PandD or do you just have to go through the whole rigamarole to find out who your leader is?

Finisih a tutorial (including rolling REM with free 5 stones you got), then connect your phone, copy dataXXX.bin files (everything) except data048.bin (Make copy of data048.bin elsewhere if you got a decent leader). After that you delete data048.bin file from the phone, restart PAD, register, close it, paste the backup dataXXX.bin (not data048.bin!) into the phone and restart PAD. If you've done this properly then you won't get tutorial popups but get the same tutorial dungeons. Just clear those super fast and get 5 stones for REM.

The whole process is so easy and fast that it cuts down reroll from 7~9 minutes to 3~4 minutes.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I finally picked up Tapped Out after the non stop raving about it in this thread for months and the first thing I try, as with all apps, is minimising it and then reopening it. It takes a good 30s to load after that. What the hell is it about some apps that means you can't multitask with them and how the gently caress can anyone put up with that bullshit? It's the reason I immediately deleted Final Fantasy 1 and the reason I'm likely to delete Tapped Out before I even finish the tutorial.

The reason I gave up trying to play Sam and Max was that every time I switched apps (even for a second) it would reset itself. If I didn't save or get an autosave I was poo poo out of luck.

Oh, and the super fun boxing mini game (mandatory) having controls that worked when they arbitrarily felt like it helped a lot too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ended up ordering 2 of those cards, should keep me covered for a long time until I buy a bunch of iBooks the next PAD godfest. :v:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cards are gone.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

This was a good read. Thanks man.

Thanks dude. I find other people's reviews helpful and I'm glad someone found mine useful.

Onto the topic of 'games in development that look cool and I hope deliver': Out There

It sells itself as a 'dark adventure in deep space' but to me it looks like a cross between King of Dragon Pass and a Faster Than Light without the combat.

The trailer is moody as all hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDH3PPJstuI&t=35s

Pocket Tactics' blurb: http://pockettactics.com/2013/08/20/all-alone-out-there-gameplay-trailer/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 25, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I'd like a game with a wide variety of puzzle types, preferably with a progression towards an endgame and some sort of story attached. Anything like that? I mean specifically a puzzle game, not an RPG with some puzzles in it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Project1 posted:

I'd like a game with a wide variety of puzzle types, preferably with a progression towards an endgame and some sort of story attached. Anything like that? I mean specifically a puzzle game, not an RPG with some puzzles in it.

I would suggest The Heist. It's got a couple of different puzzles, I wouldn't call the variety wide exactly but there is definitely variety. Not sure what you mean by progression towards an endgame.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I'm just getting around to Kingdom Rush Frontiers - is there any consensus about the strength of the various IAP heroes?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

schwein11 posted:

I'm just getting around to Kingdom Rush Frontiers - is there any consensus about the strength of the various IAP heroes?

I honestly think they screwed up allowing you to play on casual and win max stars - I would have gotten a lot more gameplay had I been given the opportunity to earn more stars by playing on normal and then hard (or whatever it is).

Yes, I am aware there is nothing stopping me from still playing them, but :effort:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

schwein11 posted:

Don't buy them is my opinion. If you do, I like the wizard. I know someone here, Bummey maybe, said the protoss guy is pretty cool too. But I picked him up on sale. I think the hero purchase strategy is the weakest part of KR monetization; I wish I could unlock them with gems in game or pay real money, because they don't really change how I play the game that drastically so it feels like locking something behind a paywall just because, not putting something behind a paywall so that money = something really different or new.

On the bright side, two of the three default heroes are excellent. The beastmaster and assassin are both good, beastmaster especially on some later campaign levels. I wasn't a huge fan of the swordsman.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 25, 2013

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I'm still new to the iPhone. But what's a good Diablo 2 clone that has Gamecenter support? I've been playing Eternity Warriors 2 and I am wondering what else is on the App Store.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shwqa posted:

:ducksiren: hunters episode 1 went free :ducksiren: I haven't played it but it get mentions on this thread pretty often.

http://appshopper.com/games/hunters-episode-one-hd

What's the story with IAP on this? Looks neat as hell, but there's nothing I find more frustrating than getting into a team building type game and then hitting that paywall.

Also all the people that are looking at PnD: Seriously, wait until a godfest to roll. You're talking about 3x less annoying horseshit to get your starter god, and given how fast the game throws money at you in the first bits you will have at least two or 3 more chances to roll up some great friends to go along with him.

It's a really fun game but oh holy poo poo does starting during non-godfest times turn into a goddamned endless slog of poo poo.

edit: although I suppose it's at least educational in that you get some first hand experience with why you should never, EVER roll on the machine, even with free stones, outside of a godfest.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

maduin posted:

So this game is actually pretty cool. I'm sure it's more than most people want to spend, but it's pretty unique

This is very cool. I'm really enjoying it.

That's how the game works. You're reading correspondence from someone and trying to figure out what the words are in the censored black bars.

Actually has a bit of a Papers, Please vibe. Even though they are totally different games. But the same feeling of oppression is there

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 25, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Don't buy Kingdom Rush heroes unless you really want to give the dev some more money. They're too expensive (relatively to the price of the base game and typical ios pricing schemes) and don't offer that much more. Since there's no way to try them out first, you have no way of knowing if the $8 dragon is better than the $3 wizard (it's not. The Wizard rules) except by price alone, and never trust anyone (especially not the salesman) who says the more expensive thing is better.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 25, 2013

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

theblackw0lf posted:

This is very cool. I'm really enjoying it.

That's how the game works. You're reading correspondence from someone and trying to figure out what the words are in the censored black bars.

Actually has a bit of a Papers, Please vibe. Even though they are totally different games. But the same feeling of oppression is there

I wish I had a hint system or maybe a guide online. I am stuck on what seems to be an obvious word and there is nothing I can do to keep playing further. Pretty frustrating.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also all the people that are looking at PnD:
edit: although I suppose it's at least educational in that you get some first hand experience with why you should never, EVER roll on the machine, even with free stones, outside of a godfest.

How long do they last, when is the next one likely to happen, and please promise you'll announce it ten or 15 times in thread please?

I am so loving sick of rerolling this poo poo

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Psion posted:

On the bright side, two of the three default heroes are excellent. The beastmaster and assassin are both good, beastmaster especially on some later campaign levels. I wasn't a huge fan of the swordsman.

I really like the swordsman's sand warriors, it's like getting a free barracks you can move around as needed.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

I wish I had a hint system or maybe a guide online. I am stuck on what seems to be an obvious word and there is nothing I can do to keep playing further. Pretty frustrating.

What is it? Maybe I can help

Also the touch arcade forums are a good place to ask

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

What is it? Maybe I can help

Also the touch arcade forums are a good place to ask

The letter where Kenety starts to crack and you have the spell a word one letter at a time. It's the next word I am stuck on. It's a question "Am I using up all your black tape Dear xxxxxx". Tried every 6 letter word I could think of but no luck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JDM3 posted:

How long do they last, when is the next one likely to happen, and please promise you'll announce it ten or 15 times in thread please?

I am so loving sick of rerolling this poo poo

They usually last about a day or so and happen every 2 weeks or so. We just finished one, so one will probably be around next week sometime. There's a PnD thread that you can casually follow. It'll be pretty loving impossible to miss the chatter when one comes along.

But yeah, I"ll at least make a mention in here when it happens.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Edit: double posting

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Toebone posted:

I really like the swordsman's sand warriors, it's like getting a free barracks you can move around as needed.

Yeah, I should point out the swordsman isn't bad, I just feel he's a little too middle of the road. I got all 3 basic heroes up to 10 though, if you had to pick between a level ~1-5 hero swordsman is probably better on that low end.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Psion posted:

Yeah, I should point out the swordsman isn't bad, I just feel he's a little too middle of the road. I got all 3 basic heroes up to 10 though, if you had to pick between a level ~1-5 hero swordsman is probably better on that low end.

He's nothings special on his own but the sand people thing he does makes a good makeshift barrier till you have better defences set up.
That said, mirage can single handedly slaughter low level enemies pretty quickly.

I find it more than a little annoying that 8 of the 11 heroes are pay only and that I'm forced to look at them every time I go to the hero menu.
I want a dragon but a character costing more than the base game? gently caress that noise.

Edit: Totally wanna thank whichever goons got me playing this.
Also while I'm at it: whoever told me to keep going with 1112.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 25, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

They should have thrown a couple more free heroes in. As it is now, 70% of them are paid and most are more than the actual game. I probably wouldn't even mind buying one but forget dumping $5 on a dude I don't even know if I would like playing.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 25, 2013

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Lt_Tofu posted:

The letter where Kenety starts to crack and you have the spell a word one letter at a time. It's the next word I am stuck on. It's a question "Am I using up all your black tape Dear xxxxxx". Tried every 6 letter word I could think of but no luck.

You're farther along than I am, I'm stuck at i'll (4 letter word) (4 letter word) (4 letter word) (3 letter word) to see mom

Nvm, got it

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lt_Tofu posted:

I'll give a hint rather than outright spoil it (but putting it in spoilers anyway just in case): Just think of the central theme of the game, and then also think about the fact that K isn't exactly happy at the person she's directing that to and so would probably use a word with a negative connotation there.

• Locked thread