Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

I used AOMEI Partition Assistant and had pretty good success.

http://download.cnet.com/AOMEI-Partition-Assistant-Standard-Edition/3000-18512_4-75118871.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

One of our applications has been experiencing lag and application hangs for a long time, we've been suspecting the database.
Our local DBA won't shut up about :supaburn: "MORE RAM" even though the server has 12 GB reserved for SQL Server for a 30 GB database and 95% cache hits.

Yesterday we finally managed to get another DBA involved who suggested checking fragmentation on the indexes.

Table 1, Rows: ~3.500.000, main clustred index: 87% fragmented
Table 2, Rows: ~3.000.000, main clustred index: 75% fragmented
Table 3, Rows: ~4.000.000, main clustred index: 53% fragmented
Table 4, Rows: ~1.500.000, main clustred index: 83% fragmented
Table 5, Rows: ~2.000.000, main clustred index: 68% fragmented

Full table scans ahoy. :suicide:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Checking in with today's "gently caress Printers"

We are finally getting around to rolling out Windows 7 x64 laptops outside of IS.
No one on the deployment team told us that was happening - the timeline got pushed up and wasn't communicated at all.
This means there's about 200 printers across five 2003 x86 print servers that need to be migrated to the new 2008R2 print server so they can have x64 print drivers.

And *of course* it's affecting production and *of course* it's urgent that Johnny O'SalesDouche and Jane McSellYouShit have *THEIR* printers right now and DON'T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS and DROP EVERYTHING IT'S A PRINTER EMERGENCY.

I hate printers.

I hate users.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just got dragged away from a hugely important server/application deployment to write two patents in one day. In French.

That was a thing I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Antioch posted:

Checking in with today's "gently caress Printers"

We are finally getting around to rolling out Windows 7 x64 laptops outside of IS.
No one on the deployment team told us that was happening - the timeline got pushed up and wasn't communicated at all.
This means there's about 200 printers across five 2003 x86 print servers that need to be migrated to the new 2008R2 print server so they can have x64 print drivers.

And *of course* it's affecting production and *of course* it's urgent that Johnny O'SalesDouche and Jane McSellYouShit have *THEIR* printers right now and DON'T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS and DROP EVERYTHING IT'S A PRINTER EMERGENCY.

I hate printers.

I hate users.

You can install x64 drivers on a x86 print server. I have 64bit drivers installed on 2003 32bit print servers with no problem. You just have to add them from a x64 client with the drivers already installed. It's not too hard. You can take care of this in less than an hour probably.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

or

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...er-x86-sp2-help

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 23, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

"No one in their right mind should virtualize their monitoring for their environment"

Holy poo poo I never thought I could nerd rage this hard about something. This comes from one of the people ranking above me....

I VtoP'd our monitoring server on one of our networks, but that was because it was using more memory than the sysadmins were willing to give me.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

But man once you're done with that printer move, you are gold.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Caconym posted:

One of our applications has been experiencing lag and application hangs for a long time, we've been suspecting the database.
Our local DBA won't shut up about :supaburn: "MORE RAM" even though the server has 12 GB reserved for SQL Server for a 30 GB database and 95% cache hits.

Yesterday we finally managed to get another DBA involved who suggested checking fragmentation on the indexes.

Table 1, Rows: ~3.500.000, main clustred index: 87% fragmented
Table 2, Rows: ~3.000.000, main clustred index: 75% fragmented
Table 3, Rows: ~4.000.000, main clustred index: 53% fragmented
Table 4, Rows: ~1.500.000, main clustred index: 83% fragmented
Table 5, Rows: ~2.000.000, main clustred index: 68% fragmented

Full table scans ahoy. :suicide:

to be honest, with the entire database in RAM the performance WOULD improve! :eng101:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

feld posted:

to be honest, with the entire database in RAM the performance WOULD improve! :eng101:

Not much. Only the last tiny percentage of those tables are in use at any one time, but the 10-20 active clients will sync and save their data every 5 seconds, the 80 remote units will update their positions minimum every 45 seconds, and a lot of other stuff goes on in the background (With debug-logging on the application server generates 30 MB of logs per minute). With indexes this broken that means full table scans on multi-million row tables ALL THE TIME, and those are expensive even if no actual platters need to spin.

Rebuilding the indexes should be fast though, with the entire table in RAM. Just need a maintenance window as MSSQL 2008 R2 can't do it on the fly.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a bunch of emails came in.

The Sr on the account, for reasons unknown to me, has decided to start "managing" me. Apparently managing me is sending an email for each ticket, including the ones not assigned to me, and asking me why are they done and can they be closed. Whatever I don't close today will be emailed daily until completed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

blackswordca posted:

So a bunch of emails came in.

The Sr on the account, for reasons unknown to me, has decided to start "managing" me. Apparently managing me is sending an email for each ticket, including the ones not assigned to me, and asking me why are they done and can they be closed. Whatever I don't close today will be emailed daily until completed.

poo poo's rolling downhill to you good sir. Guarantee that guy got bitched out for something and now he's going to crawl up your rear end for a while.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

skipdogg posted:

poo poo's rolling downhill to you good sir. Guarantee that guy got bitched out for something and now he's going to crawl up your rear end for a while.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why. The client hasn't been happier, and the ticket load has been cut to 1/3rd of where it was when I started here full time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why. The client hasn't been happier, and the ticket load has been cut to 1/3rd of where it was when I started here full time.

You act as if facts have anything to do with the actions of your employers.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

skipdogg posted:

You can install x64 drivers on a x86 print server. I have 64bit drivers installed on 2003 32bit print servers with no problem. You just have to add them from a x64 client with the drivers already installed. It's not too hard. You can take care of this in less than an hour probably.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

or

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...er-x86-sp2-help

Oh, I know you *can* add them, but we're migrating all the printers instead because the old print servers are old and physical and P2V isn't an option and reasons.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to finally get an SSD for my home machine but encountered some weirdness after cloning to it. I posted this in the SSD thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there's plenty of smart people here:

I have a weird problem. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig drive. I'm using the free Easeus 6.0 backup to clone my old drive to the new one. The old drive has three partitions: System Recovery (100 megs), Main Drive (900 gigs) and manufacturer restore (10 gigs.)

After cloning disk to disk from old to new the manufacture restore is still 10 gigs, but the System Recovery partition ballooned to 5 gigs and the main drive takes what's left. System boots fast but it's annoying to see so much wasted space.

Booted off the old drive, cleared off the SSD partitions and manually cloned the partitions one at a time. Sizes were then correct, but it was skipped in the boot sequence in favor of the old drive. I noticed that the SSD main partition wasn't active so I activated it and now my system attempts to boot from it but I get a message that the boot manager is missing.

Should I just be using a Windows repair CD to fixmbr and fixbot this thing, or is there some other issue with how I cloned via partitions?

use clonezilla instead of whatever junkware Samsung bundled in there and be sure to use Expert mode, enable I think its called ICDS (skip checking destination disk size)

Ideally you'd shrink down the source partitions and delete the recovery partition so you can maximize the capacity of your SSD...

"REALLY ideally" you'd do a clean install and use MS's partition tool, delete the 1-2 larger partitions, extend and then format the "System Reserved" partition into your one primary OS partition and you won't be losing any capacity to horseshit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I fixed it. Blew away the manufacturer recovery partition and extended the main one with that Easeus Partition Master. Made the system reserve partition active, booted from the 7 repair CD and let it fix the boot info. Done! Goddamn this thing is fast. And soooo quiet.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I fixed it. Blew away the manufacturer recovery partition and extended the main one with that Easeus Partition Master. Made the system reserve partition active, booted from the 7 repair CD and let it fix the boot info. Done! Goddamn this thing is fast. And soooo quiet.

Nice. Yeah SSD's truly are the silver bullet for slightly pokey machines. And the prices are getting better every day.

Paid something like $380 for my zero-day SATA1 Patriot 120gb then grabbed another one, (open box) for $50 last October for brothers bday gift.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

incoherent posted:

What on earth compelled you to buy anything asus for business related? What monitor do they make that couldn't possibly be a cut-rate dell or HP monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0

We told one employee to tell us what monitor he wanted, he approved the purchase, we ordered it, now 3 weeks later there are three of them onsite.

THEYRE MULTIPLYING................

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My coworkers are great in almost every way, but one thing in particular drives me crazy. I have my monitors facing away from the door, so they wander in and either walk around my desk or lean over to see what I'm doing. I keep turning the monitor stand/tree a bit further away from the door, and I spent a few hundred dollars extra when I got new furniture to put as much desk space as possible between the other side and me (mostly so three or four of us can spread out 24x48" printouts of blueprints or system diagrams for design/planning and all have space to go over them,) and it makes no difference, they have to see what I'm doing. It's completely harmless, it's not like they're trying to catch me slacking off, but I've mentioned repeatedly that it bugs the poo poo out of me, actually filled out a work order to have a trap door installed in the floor of my office and sent it to my boss "asking" that he sign off on it, and they still do it. One of these days they're going to push me to my breaking point and God help me, I will Goatse someone.

In other news, a server running 6 drives in RAID 5 had a failure on one drive and a drive puncture (Dell's term for an undetected failure causing the controller to calculate parity on an undetected logical bad block.) Fortunately, our local sysadmin is overly competent and was able to boot the previous snapshots of those VMs on another server within 20 minutes (we can't have automatic failover because Network Engineering is literally a room full of wind-up monkeys wearing fezes and clapping cymbals who once manually blacklisted our print server, which is on the server VLAN, without telling anyone about it so our sysadmin had to call the help desk to find out why it couldn't connect to the network.) Dell support was unusually helpful and I'm sure it wasn't the fault of the person on the phone that the two replacement drives failed out-of-box and the replacements for those were lost by FedEx and took three days to arrive with next day shipping.

In other news, it took me four failed cables to realize that at some point in the past year someone put two types of crimp sleeves in the same box. They're visually almost identical but are ~0.3mm different in diameter and using the larger sleeves with the smaller connectors gives a connection that you would expect to withstand a 90lb pull force but comes apart if you look at it funny and probably leaks enough RF that the FAA is going to send me an angry letter if I don't check everything and fix stuff soon.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
We've pretty much doubled our department's staff this month at my place, which is awesome. For quite a while we've had one AIX admin (managing well over a hundred LPARs), one VMWare admin (managing three VMWare clusters in three separate data centers with several hundred VMs between them), and one SAN guy (managing like a dozen Netapp SANs in the same three data centers), with no real redundancy (I can handle some of the server-level AIX stuff well enough, but haven't really touched the HMC, network, or storage stuff, and I know enough VMWare to set up VMs, but not much about managing a whole cluster or the storage and networking configs). Our boss was basically the only backup for AIX and SAN stuff, but he's a director now and doesn't really have time to be doing the day to day stuff anymore. Now as of this month we have two new AIX admins and a new SAN guy, and soon we'll have a new VMWare guy. We've also hired a new Oracle DBA or two to help our current DBAs with our 150 or so Oracle databases.

We do have two Linux guys already (including myself) though the other guy's primary duty is managing the Nagios monitoring system and that's nearly a full-time job all by itself, so I'm really the primary Linux admin. He can back me up when I'm not there, though, and so far I've been able to handle the workload well enough (though it does get pretty crazy some weeks when it seems like every department is doing some big project all at once), so we can't really justify hiring another admin yet. We're probably gonna hit 200 Linux servers pretty soon, though (if we haven't already; people keep building new Linux VMs without telling me :v: ), and we're always adding more, so one of these days we'll probably have to expand.

One thing that's a bit of a pain with all those systems is patching. I'm doing kernel updates every quarter and other package security patches every month, and right now I'm more or less doing patches manually (with the help of some hacked-together scripts and a little database to track stuff). The security updates aren't so bad, but the kernel patches are a pain; I have to contact the business owners of every server to work out a schedule for a reboot every quarter and then have to spend a few days (including a weekend or two) manually rebooting every server. I've thrown up a Spacewalk server and added a few systems to it as a test and it seems like it could make some things quite a bit easier (in addition to being a much nicer inventory system than my clunky little custom database), but I'm not sure if it'll get approved by the boss or not.

Oh yeah, and one of our upper-level directors has now decreed that *all* of our systems will have to be rebooted once a month no matter what. Luckily, our boss is trying to use that to push for setting up scheduled automated server reboots and application restarts for as many systems as possible, because he knows there's no way in hell our team is going to manually reboot hundreds of servers every month (many of which would have to be rebooted overnight and on weekends, which would really suck since we don't get any overtime or comp time for after hours work). At least if we actually could get automatic reboots in place and working reliably, it would make kernel patches a hell of a lot easier.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Dick Trauma posted:

I just remembered something mate, iirc, you are supposed to move everything 1 MB from the front in EaseUS.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

I just remembered something mate, iirc, you are supposed to move everything 1 MB from the front in EaseUS.

People in glass houses, etc, etc, but that's quite the title.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

I've thrown up a Spacewalk server and added a few systems to it as a test and it seems like it could make some things quite a bit easier (in addition to being a much nicer inventory system than my clunky little custom database), but I'm not sure if it'll get approved by the boss or not.
At least if we actually could get automatic reboots in place and working reliably, it would make kernel patches a hell of a lot easier.

Please use Katello instead. And KSplice. And buy your overworked Oracle/AIX guys beer

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I'll say it, I think we need the poo poo that pisses you off thread back again. The previous one released the "IT chat" pressure from both threads, and made them readable and decently on topic. This new megathread is pretty insane with 70+ posts to catch up on if I go a few hours without breaks in meetings during the day.

This thread is averaging 80 posts a day.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'll say it, I think we need the poo poo that pisses you off thread back again. The previous one released the "IT chat" pressure from both threads, and made them readable and decently on topic. This new megathread is pretty insane with 70+ posts to catch up on if I go a few hours without breaks in meetings during the day.

This thread is averaging 80 posts a day.

Yeah I don't think merging 3 major megathreads that all saw a lot of traffic into one was the greatest idea, I'm having a hard time catching up on one stream of conversation when there are 20 simultaneous ones in one thread.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I don't think merging 3 major megathreads ... was the greatest idea

I will third this sentiment

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I live with my parents, I'm a student. I love my parents.

if they wake me up again because the internet isn't working instead of just loving rebooting the router i will burn the house down
IM NOT A WIZARD ALL I EVER DO IS PULL THE POWER CORD OUT AND PUT IT BACK IN

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SRQ posted:

if they wake me up again because the internet isn't working instead of just loving rebooting the router i will burn the house down

If your mom had to wake up at 3am because you were screaming for boob milk, you can reboot a router.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

I will third this sentiment

Me too.

I was against it from the start and this is why - it's impossible to keep track of sub-topics and conversations now. If you go away for a day you're basically hosed.

Please can we have mod approval to revert from version control.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

SRQ posted:

Have you given them a list of suggested troubleshooting steps, or just whined about it on the internet?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

SRQ posted:

Careful what you wish for. Amateur troubleshooting leads to calls like the one I got last week. "The internet is down so we rebooted the server and now nothing is working."

Come to find out one person's laptop's wireless had failed to connect and someone else's home page had been set to about :blank somehow so they went into the (locked!) server closet and unplugged/replugged the DC at the wall. Then somebody's teenage kid "who knows IT" logged into the router looking for the factory reset and managed to gently caress up half a dozen settings in there.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I don't think merging 3 major megathreads that all saw a lot of traffic into one was the greatest idea, I'm having a hard time catching up on one stream of conversation when there are 20 simultaneous ones in one thread.

You think this is bad, you should try keeping up with the yospos cat thread

(/me marks 1000 posts as read, gently caress it)

But yes I liked having the two threads, didn't know there was a third?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

gently caress it, create a subforum for IT bitching so "there's a puppy in my datacenter" can have its own thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

thelightguy posted:

gently caress it, create a subforum for IT bitching so "there's a puppy in my datacenter" can have its own thread.

We still need an update on that ticket :argh:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

This is a pretty major SLA breach and I'm going to have to CC half of Packet's organization now :argh:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I went away for the weekend and this thread gained 300+ posts. I can't handle that.

thelightguy posted:

Link please...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
ID: 01561819
Ticket Title: Supervisor Escalation
Content: Please revert \"RE\: A ticket came in\.\.\.\, Working in IT and Booze Discussion \& poo poo that you come across daily\" to their last production revision, users are complaining about (unfound) rise in productivity and unacceptable (yeah right) increase of simultaneous connections to all nodes. 1st couldn't confirm any of this, but the users are threatening to escalate to their heads, so you might want to avoid another one of those angry emails, you know that budgeting is coming up.
Priority: VERY URGENT

Edit:

ID: 01561832
Ticket Title: Follow Up to\: \#01561819
Content: We have reports of users not able to follow "Puppy in the server room", since this is going to bring down morale, I think it is time to act immediately, otherwise we might face a total stop of all work, and you know, even tho that wouldn't be much of a difference, someone might notice!
Priority: CRITICAL

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 24, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I just received several emails from some of our new hires...
:byodood: "There's no Outlook or Word icons on my desktop! These are mission critical programs that I need installed within the hour to do my work!"

I know for a fact that Office is installed on these users machines because I personally re-imaged their workstations. This whole "the icon's not on my desktop and that means the program's not installed" mentality is becoming more and more common in all of our new hires. It seems like no one knows what the start menu is or hasn't the slightest idea of how to use it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Helushune posted:

I just received several emails from some of our new hires...
:byodood: "There's no Outlook or Word icons on my desktop! These are mission critical programs that I need installed within the hour to do my work!"

I know for a fact that Office is installed on these users machines because I personally re-imaged their workstations. This whole "the icon's not on my desktop and that means the program's not installed" mentality is becoming more and more common in all of our new hires. It seems like no one knows what the start menu is or hasn't the slightest idea of how to use it.

Thats why Windows 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Thats why Windows 8

Windows 8 doesn't play nice with our required group policy settings (mostly just disabling UAC). That and I'm absolutely terrified of springing a new UI look on to most of my users who are terrified of computers to begin with.

• Locked thread