Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bo Xilai trial this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Announced three days in advance. At least they didn't tell everyone late Wednesday night! :v:

But seriously though a real communist show trial, we are privileged to witness an echo of the glorious past. Bombard the headquarters!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
These guys run an environmental news clipping service which I have found useful when not in China.

http://eng.greensos.cn/Content.aspx?articleId=1416&c=73

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The head of the Equal Opportunities Commission finally noticed that segregation is probably not a good thing.

SCMP posted:

A system that designates certain schools for ethnic minority pupils separates the children from the mainstream and should be abolished, the chief of the city's discrimination watchdog says.

The 31 schools offer an easier curriculum for the Chinese language and most of their pupils are non-Chinese speakers.

Most of the approximately 15,000 primary and secondary ethnic minority pupils end up at the designated schools.

The discrepancy in Chinese standards jeopardises their chances of enrolling in universities and fewer than 1 per cent of them take up government-subsidised places in degree programmes, compared with 18 per cent of students overall.

"Some parents send their children to designated schools because they cannot keep up with the Chinese taught in mainstream schools," said Chua, who will succeed Christine Fang Meng-sang in December.

"To abolish the designated schools system we have to consider whether schools, from as early as kindergartens, can really support the Chinese education for ethnic minority children who do not speak Cantonese at all."

It's that classic Chinese exceptionalism, that is only worse among the Cantonese, that "our language is special and the hardest in the world and non-yellow people can't learn it" that's keeping brown people from being prosperous. Or maybe the language is just an excuse to keep the darkies down. I'm not sure whether the chicken or the egg came first here.

"Chinese is too hard, so put them in the kindergarten that doesn't use Chinese. Just teach them babby's first Chinese. It'll be fine."

But then comes the public examination, the DSE, that determines your whole life forever. Chinese is one of the required subjects on the DSE. And what does the DSE test you on? Is it your ability to communicate effectively in the Chinese language to the degree that you might be expected to function in your professional or university life? Nope. It tests you on loving Tang Dynasty poetry. This isn't like an American SAT that checks your formal writing or quizzes you on common misconceptions in language or reading comprehension, this is an examination system rooted in Classical Chinese that could be compared to testing westerners in Latin. Can you then imagine subjecting ESL students to a test of their latinate vocabulary?

Oh and of course high scores on the Chinese exam are required for any civil service position. Ever seen a non-Chinese person in Hong Kong's civil service? Only some police and judiciary people left over from the colonial period.

It really gets to me that segregation has been the solution for this long. And honestly nobody listens to the Equal Opportunities Commission anyway. I wonder how much longer Hong Kong can have segregated schools before somebody points out that it has failed everywhere else in the world.

Oh, by the way, mainland immigrants go to the normal schools. Even those who show up in the city not speaking a word of Cantonese. They figure it out. But they're yellow. gently caress.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Oh, by the way, mainland immigrants go to the normal schools. Even those who show up in the city not speaking a word of Cantonese. They figure it out. But they're yellow. gently caress.

But they too are children of the Han and understand the complex writing system~~~~ :suicide:

The Equal Opportunities is a toothless tiger. When they tried to implement a law against racial discrimination, everyone in the city complained against imaginary scenarios (which showed how racist Hongers actually are).

This is why I like going to Singapore :smith:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
For the curious, mind mentioning these imaginary scenarios? It's always a treat to delve into the mind of a xenophobe.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby
Edit: I had a picture of Tiananmen Square but pictures of that event are banned in China from what I can tell so I didn't want to take any chances with fellow posters.
Edit 2: Ok,

I also mangled Zuh's quote for some reason.

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 20, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Blackbird Fly posted:

Thoughts?
Edit: I had a picture of Tiananmen Square but pictures of that event are banned in China from what I can tell so I didn't want to take any chances with fellow posters.

Just post it. Nothing will happen.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Blackbird Fly posted:

Thoughts?

You had the Tank Man picture. I haven't seen it lately, but one of my teachers in Beijing had a propaganda photospread about 1989 from the early 90s that included the Tank Man picture. The caption described it as embodying the incredible restraint and patience that the PLA had. You know, for not just crushing the man.

So don't worry about it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't been SCMPosting much lately, but I read something today that made me literally angry with rage: Hong Kong commerce chamber makes urgent plea for foreign workers.

SCMP posted:

One of Hong Kong's most influential business groups is working on a proposal calling on the government to allow an influx of foreign workers - warning that it is the only way to solve the city's labour shortage.

The General Chamber of Commerce says tens of thousands of vacancies across a variety of industries cannot be filled by the local workforce.

Yuen said that last month there were up to 110,000 unfilled vacancies, close to the historic high of 122,000 in 1989.

Among them, import-export, the wholesale and retail trades and the community, social and personal services industries had consistently suffered shortages of more than 10,000 in the past three years, she said.

The hotel and catering trades had experienced a similar problem in the past 15 months.

The chamber estimated the potential labour force at 780,000 - that is, who could be working but are not such as housewives, early retirees and students in continuing education.

But it is said that even if more family-friendly conditions like flexible hours were introduced, as unions were urging, only 8 per cent of them would be willing to enter the market.

But Labour Party chairman Lee Cheuk-yan said more family-friendly policies should be introduced first, instead of "abruptly importing labour for the sake of lower wages".

I'm so mad about this. Seriously. gently caress it all. gently caress these people. Hong Kong is number one on the Index of Economic Freedom now and forever. Businesses love that! There are barely any laws here to protect workers or guarantee them benefits at all. It's the most business-friendly place ever. Exploitation is in full swing. Wages have been stagnant for over a decade while profits are through the roof. Hooray for the free market!

But now these greedy douchebags want it both ways. They love the free market when it means they get to exploit everybody and pay them poo poo, but now they've got a problem: they've run out of people willing to work for absolute poo poo. They have two options then: increase benefits/pay and cut into their record profits, or beg and plead for government intervention. WHICH ONE ARE THEY GONNA PICK?

I like how they mention 1989, when average real incomes were demonstrably higher and the wealth gap much lower.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

I haven't been SCMPosting much lately, but I read something today that made me literally angry with rage: Hong Kong commerce chamber makes urgent plea for foreign workers.

I'm so mad about this. Seriously. gently caress it all. gently caress these people. Hong Kong is number one on the Index of Economic Freedom now and forever. Businesses love that! There are barely any laws here to protect workers or guarantee them benefits at all. It's the most business-friendly place ever. Exploitation is in full swing. Wages have been stagnant for over a decade while profits are through the roof. Hooray for the free market!

But now these greedy douchebags want it both ways. They love the free market when it means they get to exploit everybody and pay them poo poo, but now they've got a problem: they've run out of people willing to work for absolute poo poo. They have two options then: increase benefits/pay and cut into their record profits, or beg and plead for government intervention. WHICH ONE ARE THEY GONNA PICK?

I like how they mention 1989, when average real incomes were demonstrably higher and the wealth gap much lower.

Well, if there weren't any restrictions on migration you could instantly get tons of people to come and work for low wages, so I don't really see the inconsistency.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where would they live?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm pretty sure you could cram 8 bangladeshi guys into furnished shipping container.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Where would they live?

That sounds like a problem for the glorious free market to solve!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

dilbertschalter posted:

Well, if there weren't any restrictions on migration you could instantly get tons of people to come and work for low wages, so I don't really see the inconsistency.

They're not asking for open immigration though. I wonder what Hong Kong would look like if they had that.

I guess there'd just be riots until they closed the borders again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MeramJert posted:

I'm pretty sure you could cram 8 bangladeshi guys into furnished shipping container.

Student housing in Amsterdam is in furnished shipping containers. Beat you to it, Hong Kong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm sorry for bringing up such a :tinfoil: topic when I know it's been addressed before, but I was hoping someone might be able to offer more reliable information than what I can obtain from searches. There's a free Chinese-language paper in the educational building I pass through to get to my office, and I picked up what I suppose was a companion piece sitting next to it: A paper claiming that the Chinese government is killing FG adherents for their organs. Lo and behold, today everyone on my floor has a flyer with this image in their mailbox:

(I think that paper had been there quite a while, and the day after I pick it up, this happens. It's almost enough to make me think somebody followed me.)

I know that the Chinese government is persecuting FG, but the movement is also an untrustworthy cult. But if it's all a sensationalist FG disinfo claim, it's a damned slick one; they've got significant mainstream media coverage and this "Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting" group on their side. So, uh, please tell me if the creepy moon cultists flyering my office have a point, I guess. All the info I can find seems to be either FG sources, or media reporting those same sources uncritically because yellow journalism. I know FG persecution is very real, but organ harvesting is an urban legend I started hearing about when I was a kid. And these claims of "hundreds of thousands" of victims?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The truth is that I have no idea if that really happens, and anybody who tells you they know exactly what's going on is a big fat liar.

Our best guess is that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I could definitely imagine a situation where lots of Falun Gong people are in prison or even get executed for more serious crimes against the state, and then when they die from whatever cause their organs get harvested. Organ donation from the freshly dead, with or without prior written consent, is common in China, which like much of the world has a lengthy wait list for transplants. The poor are also selling kidneys in increasing numbers.

Do I think they are conducting Nazi-like experiments on live human beings? No.

Honestly, it sounds like you know about as much as anybody.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My theory is that it's not so much a concerted effort by the Chinese government but more corrupt prison officials making a buck on the side. Even then, I don't think it's as big of a deal as Falun Gong makes it out to be because they're pretty much gone within China from what I've heard and read. There seem to be more stories about underground church Christians ending up in re-education through hard labor camps than the Falun Gong torture stories of a decade ago.

The PRC these days is apparently more worried about syncretic Christian cults in the countrysides from what I've read recently. Christianity is pretty popular, I met more Christians than Buddhists or Daoists when I lived in Henan, and the government is worried about some sort of Branch Davidian Taiping cult springing up.

China ultimately is a mystery though. I don't think anyone knows the whole story about what is going on despite the advances in technology that allow effectively controlling a large state. Even Xi Jinping probably has no clue as to what is happening several levels below him on the totem pole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

China ultimately is a mystery though. I don't think anyone knows the whole story about what is going on despite the advances in technology that allow effectively controlling a large state. Even Xi Jinping probably has no clue as to what is happening several levels below him on the totem pole.

Yeah, China's problem is that after a certain level bureaucracy gets less efficient with scale and China is the largest scale in the world currently.

I mean, just look at the clusterfuck of stuff in the US regarding any sort of federal program, and that's without (as many) people just lying about information to keep their jobs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, no matter how bugfuck crazy the allegation, there's always a non-zero chance that some insanely corrupt minor official in the rear end-end of nowhere may actually be doing it in collusion with various local cronies and/or organized crime because who knows.

Though you can always wonder how much of the bad stuff is simply due to a lack of (or the near-impossibility of) oversight versus how much is "meet your targets by whatever means necessary" *wink wink*.

From what I remember, for instance, Chinese prisons are in practice basically expected to be self-sufficient, and whatever token state funds are allocated to them are snapped up by corruption way before they even reach near the organizational level of the prison itself.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I remember back in my college days when I was taking a class on modern Chinese politics, and my prof pointed out that in the lead-up to the Great Leap Forward, the CCP deployed over a million party cadres to run all the various villages, townships, etc.

My mind was so blown by the idea of that many little bosses being managed (poorly) by a central government, all having to be trained and then filing reports and requesting backup and blah blah blah :psyduck:. That feeling of "man, this place is ungovernable" has essentially stayed with me ever since, and the last decade of news and events out of China haven't really changed that one bit. Nobody has any idea what the hell is happening in that country.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

computer parts posted:

I mean, just look at the clusterfuck of stuff in the US regarding any sort of federal program, and that's without (as many) people just lying about information to keep their jobs.

I think the situation in the US has more to do with deliberate sabotage than any sort of fundamental limit on the effectiveness of federal programs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Captain Frigate posted:

I think the situation in the US has more to do with deliberate sabotage than any sort of fundamental limit on the effectiveness of federal programs.

Things like the military pay system are not due to deliberate sabotage and is in line with what I'm talking about.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Yeah, China's problem is that after a certain level bureaucracy gets less efficient with scale and China is the largest scale in the world currently.

It's so big and impenetrable that they're now counterfeiting bureaucrats and people don't notice: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/china-grapples-with-rash-of-fake-officials/2013/08/16/9509f9d6-f9cb-11e2-8752-b41d7ed1f685_story.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Now listen to this.

http://www.eeo.com.cn/ens/2012/1218/237628.shtml

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

computer parts posted:

Things like the military pay system are not due to deliberate sabotage and is in line with what I'm talking about.
The problem there is basically graft, yeah, same as China. Government pays a contractor to build a system. System doesn't work right. Don't worry though because privatization is good.

If we had any brains at all as a country there would be a Department Of Computin' or something that sucked up all the non-intelligence funding and handled the government's IT needs competently. You can get all kinds of competent people to work in government and I'm sure the tech sector is no different, in spite of their belief that they are (I am one of them). You'd have to get up pretty early every morning to exhibit more large-scale incompetence on technology projects than the major consulting firms in any case.

On that note, does China have something like this? I know it's sometimes ahead of the curve on poo poo because the government is only really a few decades old. Surely some country, somewhere has put together a Department Of Computin' and not just left everything spread between scientists, spacemen, spies and soldiers.

EDIT: We have one in Thailand, sort of. The MICT. It mainly blocks porn and anti-monarchy web sites and passes laws requiring people to buy logging equipment that the head of the Ministry's family makes. It is not successful even in these meager efforts as porn and anti-monarchy content are widely available still while people just roll their own logging systems. Still, I don't think we should use Thailand for the barometer of what's possible in any organized endeavor other than napping, eating and partying. China or the US could be expected to take things sort of seriously.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 24, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
And now for something completely different:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-08/24/content_16918268.htm

quote:

TCM seeds from space head to the lab
Updated: 2013-08-24 11:02
( China Daily)
Comments Print Mail Large Medium Small

Traditional Chinese medicine may be the latest sector to benefit from cosmic farming as 150 grams of space-exposed ginseng seeds were delivered to a State lab on Friday.

"We hope the space ginseng will be bigger, more resistant to disease and have increased medicinal potency," said Zhou Hua, professor of Macau University of Science and Technology, the State's top research laboratory in Chinese medicines.

TCM seeds from space head to the lab
Ginseng has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine to enhance immunity, lower blood sugar and combat cancer.

The ginseng seeds spent 15 days in space aboard Shenzhou X in June and may take as many as six generations on the ground to show the enhanced characteristics.

Generally, it takes at least five years for ginseng plants to mature.

"Thirty years will be too long for us, so we will nurture the ginseng with a tissue culture technique to shorten the process," Zhou said, without revealing further details.

Although it is the first time ginseng has been sent to space, China has sent vegetable seeds and many traditional Chinese medicine ingredients since the 1980s.

During early experiments, Jiang Xingcun, a scientist at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, discovered that spaceflight can increase mutation rates by a hundred times over what is experienced on Earth.

China has produced giant eggplants, half-meter-long cucumbers, peppers with improved yields and reduced seeds and glossy ganoderma more resistant to diseases, among many other plants.

Scientists say the radiation and micro-gravity in space can cause natural changes to the seeds without involving artificial genetic modification.

Liu Min, a scientist who specializes in seed technology, told China Daily in a previous report that radiation-induced mutation is an widely-recognized, safe way to breed new crop varieties, given the fact that it does not splice any foreign genes into the plants.

Liu Liang, head of the Macau University of Science and Technology, said at a ceremony for the delivery of the seeds on Friday that space germination is opening a new chapter for traditional Chinese medicine.

"The combination of the country's space technology and TCM holds a promising future," Liu said.

Zhang Jianqi, chairman of the China Space Foundation, responded to Liu's hope for the merging of the programs by saying that long-term support and cooperation will be launched in exploring traditional Chinese medicine.

wangqian@chinadaily.com.cn

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Space ginseng? We are truly living in the future.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Proof positive that bullshit knows no final frontier.

Also, I am not sure how convincing the appelation "traditional" is when when things start getting shot into space.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Space ginseng? We are truly living in the future.

Does anyone honestly think they're not going to just take regular ginseng and claim it was grown in space?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Does anyone honestly think they're not going to just take regular ginseng and claim it was grown in space?

Well, it's not like your average Mr Shen is going to be able to prove they ain't.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Gu Kailai reveals son Bo Guagua’s jet-setting lifestyle in testimony
Saturday, 24 August, 2013, 8:17am

Keira Lu Huang keira.huang@scmp.com

No one knows a man better than his own mother, goes an old Chinese saying. And Gu Kailai - wife of disgraced princeling Bo Xilai - vividly recounted the jaw-dropping luxury university lifestyle of her son, Bo Guagua, during her testimony, as well as others, during her husband's trial.

Bo Guagua with friend Chen Xiaodan. Photo: SCMPBo Guagua, born in 1987, is the second son of Bo Xilai. At age 12 he was packed off to Britain's Papplewick boarding school.

Having spent many of his formative years abroad, Bo is a high-end frequent flyer, shuttling between China, Britain and the US at least three times a year.

He loves to travel, and has visited Venice, Argentina, Cuba, Paris and Africa, and Germany in 2006 for the soccer World Cup.

As a loyal friend, he generously covered the air fares for his friends, mainly foreigners, who were put up at the Grand Hyatt hotel, Fairmont Beijing and other five-star hotels when visiting the capital.

According to Gu, her son invited more than 40 people from Harvard University to China in 2011, including friends, a vice-president and academics at the university. Xu Ming, the Dalian property tycoon, paid for the trip.

From 2004 to 2012, Xu paid over 3.2 million yuan (HK$4 million) for the younger Bo and Gu's travelling expenses. His trip to Africa in August 2011 cost Xu more than US$100,000. Xu accompanied Bo on that trip because of Gu's security concerns.

Guagua rented a private jet to fly from Dubai to Mount Kilimanjaro for US$80,000. The tour inside Africa, including hotels, added US$50,000 to the bill.

He brought back "a huge pack of meat, from a very rare animal" as a gift for his father.

"I don't remember exactly what kind of meat that was. It was hung on a wooden frame. Guagua said it could be eaten raw, but Bo Xilai insisted on steaming it, which made Guagua really angry, because the meat was really expensive and shouldn't be cooked," Gu said via a video link.

The family split the pack and enjoyed the delicacy for a month. "It was pretty good," Gu said.

The mysterious gift prompted many guesses online. Many suggested it was "biltong", a dried, spiced jerky made from game that is popular in South Africa and said to be good with Cape Town's Pinotage wine.

Guagua's luxury demands stretched from travelling to daily life. In 2008, he told his mother that he saw a Segway - a two-wheeled electric vehicle - in Beijing, and he wanted one.

Gu said: "Ask Xu to pay for it. He hasn't given you a gift for a while. Just say this is a gift that your mum can enjoy as well."

The whole family got to test-drive the 80,000-yuan Segway.

The younger Bo never had to worry about his credit card as that was taken care of by Xu as well - in 2011, when it was overdrawn, Xu paid 335,400 yuan to save Guagua's credit history.

Bo Xilai claimed in court that he didn't recall anything about the African trip or the Segway.

That should be a death penalty offense right there. STEAMING meat? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

That should be a death penalty offense right there. STEAMING meat? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I will never truly accept steaming as a means of cooking meat. Asia is wrong on this point.

Also, I would be very surprised if the thing about academics accepting holidays from a student is true. If you ever did that in a UK university you'd be fired the moment you got back.

Although I will say that Pinotage is nice: even bog standard KWV is pretty decent and comes in at under a tenner a bottle in the UK. Not bad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't think dried, cured meat should be considered "raw" and you definitely shouldn't steam it.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Mm-mm, steamed hams. Also mmm, life of Bo Guagua. Dude went to school down the street from me. If you know any spoiled 官二代(CCP officials' children) -- I.E., you go to university in the States or the UK and have any Chinese classmates at all -- then you already probably have a pretty good idea of about what their lifestyles are like. Or just GIS Bo Guagua, seems like he was pretty bad about having his picture taken at inopportune moments. :mmmhmm:

GuestBob posted:

Also, I would be very surprised if the thing about academics accepting holidays from a student is true. If you ever did that in a UK university you'd be fired the moment you got back.

From my understanding, he wasn't paying for teachers' trips, just classmates. I think he just really wanted to party with white people/buy friends which is kinda depressing actually. I know they post these articles so that we can gawk at the lives of the rich and privileged, but for the kids I think it just messes them up.:(

hitension fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 24, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The BBC recently posted an article concerning someone named Meimei Guo, the Red Cross and allegations of corruption which apparently may have been fabricated. Do any of you folks know what this is about? From the BBC article alone I'm rather confused about the affair, and don't understand whose plot this was targeting who and why.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Ofaloaf posted:

The BBC recently posted an article concerning someone named Meimei Guo, the Red Cross and allegations of corruption which apparently may have been fabricated. Do any of you folks know what this is about? From the BBC article alone I'm rather confused about the affair, and don't understand whose plot this was targeting who and why.

A group of bullshitters opened a bunch of weibo accounts and discovered that it was really easy to make up bullshit that idiots like the so-called "public intellectuals" would gladly tout. Then they discovered that they could use this system to make money via fun poo poo like extortion and generally gently caress around with stuff. Now they are caught and they were tied into quite a few rumors (that they just flat out made up), which were fairly devastating to some organizations. It's a case of libel basically.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

A group of bullshitters opened a bunch of weibo accounts and discovered that it was really easy to make up bullshit that idiots like the so-called "public intellectuals" would gladly tout. Then they discovered that they could use this system to make money via fun poo poo like extortion and generally gently caress around with stuff. Now they are caught and they were tied into quite a few rumors (that they just flat out made up), which were fairly devastating to some organizations. It's a case of libel basically.
So it was basically just people saying bullshit on social media and the public just accepting it as the truth without much inspection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Are these garden variety bullshitters, or just the usual 50-centers?