Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's a real working bong and mug, too. You just fill the bottom up and flip the handle around. The director still had (and presumably uses) the prop and it was a running gag on the Q&A that everybody should call Lionsgate until they make more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm not a big defender of Cabin in the Woods as a salient and topical commentary on horror movies, but it's stupid to discredit something for having a precedent.

Ah, but this is a comedy movie. It's always perfectly acceptable to discredit a comedian for stealing other people's material (see: Leary, Denis).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ah, but this is a comedy movie. It's always perfectly acceptable to discredit a comedian for stealing other people's material (see: Leary, Denis).

Nobody has accused Cabin in the Woods of stealing jokes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah as a horror satire Cabin in the Woods is very shallow, but as a comedy it's fairly original in how it appropriate horror tropes. I do dislike how it tries to have its cake and eat it, but nothing is perfect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Cabin in the Woods was funny but any commentary on the horror genre was completely toothless because the kind of horror movie it was a commentary on died out a generation ago.
I'm pretty sure the "rear end in a top hat teens being murdered in an isolated location" sub-genre is going to last as long as horror movies are made.

quote:

You know, when Scream came out and made all the same salient points with a fraction of the :jerkbag:
That was the problem with both Scream and Cabin - they're not actually making points or satirizing much of anything, just making observations. The "what's the deal with airline food" of satire (provided anyone ever actually made a "what's the deal with airline food" joke and it wasn't born as a bad standup routine punchline)

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Are people really crying about Cabin in the Woods not being "smart" really pointing to Scream as how to do it right?
I like them both but unless Scream running itself into the ground with shitter and shitter squeals is the most subtle piece of satire in movies. Then it's really no more smarter or any less muddled than Cabin in Woods.
However that shouldn't stop you from enjoying both without picking them apart for no real reason.
I'm a big horror fan and love both. However you need to give horror abit of a pass some times for the dumbness and just enjoy the fun.
If your gonna pick it apart then why you even watching a dumb horror film??

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
In an attempt to get back on track to subtle movie moments, I saw Kick rear end 2 yesterday. It wasn't a great movie by any means, but there was a moment I liked. Early in the movie, Hit Girl says that she can kill a man with his own finger. She does exactly that to Black Death.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked that in the beginning of The World's End you can see the meteor that brings the Network coming down as King sits on the hill and watches the sunrise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

That was the problem with both Scream and Cabin - they're not actually making points or satirizing much of anything, just making observations. The "what's the deal with airline food" of satire (provided anyone ever actually made a "what's the deal with airline food" joke and it wasn't born as a bad standup routine punchline)

It was Seinfeld.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

VoidBurger posted:

The Ancient Gods are us, the corporation is Hollywood. Hollywood uses a library dumb horror tropes to entertain and appease us in the same way the mysterious company has a zoo of monsters to unleash on their stereotypical victims, in order to appease the gods. The company even forced those characters into roles they don't actually fit into, by chemically altering them and their environment, which is examining how dumb the stereotypes are in the first place. (The Fool is the smartest person in the movie, the Athlete has a scholarship, the Scholar is the new athlete, the Whore is in a committed relationship, and the Virgin isn't a virgin.)

It's kinda hard not to make commentary on that stuff without including that stuff in the movie, though. I'm curious how else would it be done? How can you subvert something without mentioning it or showing it being subverted?

One of my favorite jokes is that they "dumbed down" the one girl by putting special dumbing chemicals into her blonde hairdye.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Aphrodite posted:

It was Seinfeld.
People say that, but unless you can show me a clip of him doing an airline food joke in earnest, I'm treating that as an urban legend (or comic folklore, whichever)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Xander77 posted:

People say that, but unless you can show me a clip of him doing an airline food joke in earnest, I'm treating that as an urban legend (or comic folklore, whichever)

E: oh you said in earnest, well then you might be right. Maybe it got projected onto him and them he just parodied it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Aug 24, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw&t=10s :v:

Seriously though, here's him doing a bit about planes that kinda sumarizies why people say it's a 'thing'. 'Whats The Deal With Airline Food?' is just short hand for 'Make a big dumb lame joke about something minor and obvious'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0E7EaRLmSI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xander77 posted:

Although it looks like Seinfeld never used that phrase unironically he did popularize air travel material during the observational standup craze of the late 80s/early 90s and there would have been thousands of up-and-coming hack comedians riffing off his schtick. A lot of them weren't very subtle with their segues either so "What's up with airline food?" is a nod towards all the terrible observational comedians who were pretty much doing terrible Seinfeld impersonations instead of finding their own voice.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm watching Cabin in the Woods now. I realized something about the dome: it's to keep the Cthulhu or whatever main demon contained and from getting out into the whole world. The first time I watched the movie I thought that the end was the end of the World/Apocalypse, but maybe not since these monsters can't get out. Do I have to spoiler something like that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I'm watching Cabin in the Woods now. I realized something about the dome: it's to keep the Cthulhu or whatever main demon contained and from getting out into the whole world. The first time I watched the movie I thought that the end was the end of the World/Apocalypse, but maybe not since these monsters can't get out. Do I have to spoiler something like that?

Yeah, it's a good use of the spoiler tags, but I think you're wrong about there being a dome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, it's a good use of the spoiler tags, but I think you're wrong about there being a dome.

It's a literal fourth wall.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Welp several minutes later what I said was invalidated directly by dialog.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Honest question, because I personally don't understand the critique: How is Cabin in the Woods smug? Is there a specific smug thing about it that I never noticed? I think it's fairly relatable and has a fun (love-letter-to-the-genre style) spirit to it, so I don't understand where the smug allegation is coming from. :(

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

My favorite part of Cabin in the Woods is that the movie ends as the end of the world begins. There is no heroic self-sacrifice to prevent it, both survivors just sit back and chat a bit about how its kind of disappointing that they won't live long enough to really see what happens.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

VoidBurger posted:

Honest question, because I personally don't understand the critique: How is Cabin in the Woods smug? Is there a specific smug thing about it that I never noticed? I think it's fairly relatable and has a fun (love-letter-to-the-genre style) spirit to it, so I don't understand where the smug allegation is coming from. :(

Well it's Joss Whedon so a lot of the snarky dialogue along with some of the characters/story being self aware gives off a smug vibe.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Xander77 posted:

It's not 'all airline food' but he has a line about airline peanuts in this set - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0E7EaRLmSI

Then they started parodying it on the show as a really lame bit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZF1SJW7JFw

Somewhere along the lines the reference just became airplane food I guess.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think the stand-up clip was shot in 2009. The Airline Peanuts Seinfeld thing existed long before that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He also says "What's the deal with airline food" straight up in an SNL sketch, but he's playing a character.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Aphrodite posted:

He also says "What's the deal with airline food" straight up in an SNL sketch, but he's playing a character.

And there's a bunch of other stand-ups doing jokes in that style. I believe Damon Wayans was in that one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

I know a lot of people who severely dislike the movie, and they're all coming from the same place, so my answer has to be "because some horror dorks are easily butthurt". One of my closest friends described Goddard and Whedon as "loving parasites" for mocking his precious genre. I'm not gonna claim the movie's an expert, scholarly deconstruction on genre tropes or anything but hey, this ain't Funny Games, it's a fun, entertaining movie with a ton of clever parts.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

VoidBurger posted:

(Sheesh, I post in the thread and don't look again for a couple days, and suddenly the movie I and others were pointing out fun details to gets pulled over the coals)
I agree with the sentiment that it's Whedon's hand that makes the film come across smug to some. While I personally love the film, I don't really care fore anything else he's done, as he pretty much always has every character speak in that same unrealistic and smug voice. A self-reflexive project like this is the only type where that might be appropriate, but I guess it just becomes too obvious for some at that point. Your Mileage Might Vary.

Comparing this film to Scream on equal footing is disengenuous in my opinion. Scream did a terrible job of trying to subvert its own tropes and dissect it's subgenre, where the entirety of its "subversion" was to wink and say "Gosh, I sure am glad I'm not in a slasher movie, where what I'm doing would be SO typical right now..." which isn't subverting anything, and is barely even the self-awareness that critics and horror scholars would praise the film for for at least a decade after. I'm not going to say CitW is turning the genre on its head or anything like that, but by using its "shoving square pegs into round holes" approach, it is certainly a lot closer to the sort of thing people were claiming Scream did at the time.

If you look at things from a metatextual perspective (which Voidburger helpfully noted is worthwhile but unnecessary for enjoyment of the film) again, CitW vastly outperforms Scream. Whereas the latter goes no further than laying out the "rules" that unoriginal slasher flicks follow, this film takes moments to look at many different aspects of the Horror experience, from questioning why we thrill over deaths of others, to the "Male Gaze" and "Final Girl" phenomena, and more. I disagree with the post above me that says the film is not a scholarly dissection of the genre and its tropes, though I will agree it doesn't do a good job, and that is definitely because of a case of trying to do too much with too little. The film skims by, flying over all these ideas that make for worthy discussion, and have been the subject of countless books for decades, all without putting any in sharp focus, almost as if it's trying to spark the debates rather than participate in them. The film is less the lecture hall professor teaching you all these ideas, and more the TA floundering through a lab presentation with the material.

That said, if you will endulge me, I'd like to take a moment and give my pesonal interpretation to a question asked earlier in thread, which would be "why the undead torture rednecks?" To which I opine that their obviousness was entirely intentional, and a commentary on the staleness of horror itself. Go turn on the Chiller network right now. I'll wait. I am sure that you at the very least saw a commercial for, if not a film itself, featuring either a deranged killer in the woods, zombies, or both. This is the goto for filmmakers without much money and/or creativity. It's obvious. Look at the whiteboard sequence. Several people tied and had to split the winnings over picking the Buckners, and hairs had to be split to keep others from joining the pot. Then in turn, look at the merman bit that followed. Hadley wanted it to win just so he for once would get to actually see a merman monster. I, for the record, know a serious shitton about horror films, and I can't think of a single film besides this to actually have a literal merman as a monster, and very few non-mythologically set mermaid monsters either (I'm not counting all fish monsters flatout, I mean merpeople explicitly). I too wouldn't mind seeing one "just once". But no, we keep going back to the same well of zombies and torture inbreds, because we know they work for cheap.

Sigh, this kind of ranting is why I stay out of movie communities...

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
My favourite comedy of all time is Blazing Saddles and one little thing I always liked is in Heady Lamarr's office there is a painting of a bride and a groom, but of their backs, like they were standing away from the painter. I don't know why this is there or if it has any meaning other than just a small background gag but it always stuck out to me as being such a weird little detail. When I was a kid watching the movie I fantasized that there was a deleted scene that took place in an office next to Heady's that has a painting of the couple from the front.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Ez posted:

My favourite comedy of all time is Blazing Saddles and one little thing I always liked is in Heady Lamarr's office there is a painting of a bride and a groom, but of their backs, like they were standing away from the painter. I don't know why this is there or if it has any meaning other than just a small background gag but it always stuck out to me as being such a weird little detail. When I was a kid watching the movie I fantasized that there was a deleted scene that took place in an office next to Heady's that has a painting of the couple from the front.

It's HedLEY!

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

Ez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmkyDTX08Y&t=46s

edit:gently caress; beaten

aswert1223 has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Aug 25, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
:golfclap:

Thanks guys, you made my day

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I'd had the shaky theory that the Cabin in the Woods betting board was a comment on the themes of modern horror movies.

E.g. Redneck Torture Family is the choice of Ronald the Intern (New filmakers lacking money and imagination) and Maintenance (It's a winning formula)

Vampires and Werewolves are popular with Distribution and Finance because they're easy to market and sell (Twilight etc.)

Sexy Witches and the Scarecrow folk are popular with Archives as having historical appeal.

Deadites are the choice for Story as their mythos relies on reading up on them - they're the Cenobite analogies, right?

Demolitions like Mutants as they're big, brash and simple - I'm thinking of the Troma b-movies here and stuff like Bad Taste.

Engineering and R&D would like to do something new and complicated - Unicorns or Huron (?) which are a challenging technical feat.

Psychology picking the Mummy sounds like a joke about 'tell me about your Mother...'

Jack O'Lantern is picked by security as a reference to the old Halloween style slasher movies - always a nice safe choice.

Angry Molesting Tree is an Evil Dead reference picked by Wrangle - referring to the effort of Sam Raimi in getting the movie made, and the tortuous (wrangled) effects?

Merman and Hell Lord are picked by individuals - an outlandish idea can be pushed through by one person if they're powerful enough and in that vein, does the Giant Snake chosed by Internal Logistics refer to Whedon's own 'Mayor turns into giant snake' from Buffy?

Just some idle :goonsay: speculation. I'd be interested to hear other ideas/opinions or fill in any that I've missed out.

My only other thought was that some of the ones without backers are because they're represented in other genres (like foreign horror) e.g. Kevin in We need to talk about Kevin (Or Home Alone, given how much of a malicious kid he is)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cenobites aren't Deadites, Deadites are an Evil Dead thing (they're corpses reanimated and possessed by Demons, as opposed to simple reanimated corpses)

Hell Lord is actually the Cenobite analogue, because it's the puzzle-sphere dude with the buzzsaws in his face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

death .cab for qt posted:

Cenobites aren't Deadites, Deadites are an Evil Dead thing (they're corpses reanimated and possessed by Demons, as opposed to simple reanimated corpses)

Hell Lord is actually the Cenobite analogue, because it's the puzzle-sphere dude with the buzzsaws in his face.

And the Huron were a Native American tribe, so would require zero ingenuity or technical expertise.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Choco1980 posted:

Then in turn, look at the merman bit that followed. Hadley wanted it to win just so he for once would get to actually see a merman monster. I, for the record, know a serious shitton about horror films, and I can't think of a single film besides this to actually have a literal merman as a monster, and very few non-mythologically set mermaid monsters either (I'm not counting all fish monsters flatout, I mean merpeople explicitly). I too wouldn't mind seeing one "just once". But no, we keep going back to the same well of zombies and torture inbreds, because we know they work for cheap.

She Creature did mermaid horror and did it well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
At the end of Dante's Peak, when Pierce and Linda and the kids (and the dog) are being rescued from the mine. They knew there were living survivors after they'd pulled the truck out with Pierce in it and yet one of the people rushing into a crowded space where they'd need to be stabilizing the mine and moving rocks around and such had an orange vest with "K-9 Rescue" on it. I couldn't make out if he had an actual dog with him but it seemed like it would have been silly to bring one in to that situation.

Needless to say Roughy survives. :3:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aleph Null posted:

She Creature did mermaid horror and did it well.

I did say very few mermaid films. This dude knows where it's at. :respek:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bown posted:

I know a lot of people who severely dislike the movie, and they're all coming from the same place, so my answer has to be "because some horror dorks are easily butthurt". One of my closest friends described Goddard and Whedon as "loving parasites" for mocking his precious genre. I'm not gonna claim the movie's an expert, scholarly deconstruction on genre tropes or anything but hey, this ain't Funny Games, it's a fun, entertaining movie with a ton of clever parts.

No, I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, what mostly made me dislike Cabin in the Woods was that the dialogue did not seem genuine, was fairly unnatural and inorganic, and the film performed the cardinal sin of over relying on gags and shallow dialogue to produce humor instead of naturally letting it blossom in the humorous nature of the actual situation, it's the difference between Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, where bizarre things happen to them that happen to be funny, and their true to character reactions make it even funnier versus inane Adam Sandler trash. Cabin didn't do it right, it was mostly characters that purely existed to make the comedy exist through stilted means and that's ultimately why it's not a very entertaining movie to me.
Scream is funny, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are funny, Cabin in the Woods, not so much.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
PYF opinion about how smug/insightful Cabin in the Woods is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

PYF Cabin in the Woods deconstruction.

I liked it in Watchmen when Daniel goes to warn Adrian first about there potentially being a hero serial killer. Despite all Adrian is up to, his affect changes slightly as he thanks Dan, because he's truly touched Dan thought of him to warn him.