Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Edit: The last discussion of an E-3 replacement was actually based on the 767...it was called the E-10 and it would've combined AWACS and JSTARS into one airframe doing both missions simultaneously. That idea was wisely killed off several years ago.

Don't forget, it wasn't just supposed to do AWACS and JSTARS simultaneously, it was also originally supposed to do ELINT/SIGINT, taking over from the RJs and all the other RC-135 variants.

Because that makes sense.

Also if I get bored tonight I might do an effort post on what ails the USAF nuke community. tl;dr - treating a community like poo poo and completely ignoring them for two decades results in said community not giving a gently caress, with predictable results. Also it didn't help splitting the strategic nuke mission in two and putting half of it in the command run by fighter pilots, with the other half of it being put in a bastardized command that never really wanted the nuke mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In the SSBN community if you don't maintain a high level of proficiency it can kill you and everyone you know. It's still a nuclear warship that submerges, with all the dangers and diligence those entail. You also still theoretically have the threat of hostile submarines attempting to detect and track you to deal with, so you can't let your guard down there either.

Boomers also constantly have a flux of people entering / leaving the community, while it sounds like the AF nuke world has a bit of an inbreeding problem.

The downside of the SSBN leg is that it is fantastically more expensive on a per warhead on station per hour basis than fixed ground launch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Don't forget, it wasn't just supposed to do AWACS and JSTARS simultaneously, it was also originally supposed to do ELINT/SIGINT, taking over from the RJs and all the other RC-135 variants.

Because that makes sense.

Really, EVERYTHING we throw up in the air should have at least some capability in that regard. As a replacement for the RJ, that's a retarded idea, but putting most of the RJ hardware on the E-10 would've been one of the smarter parts of the program.

For anyone wondering why it's a dumb idea to combine missions that seem pretty similar (AWACS points the radar at the sky, JSTARS points it at the ground, the controllers share about 75% of their training and learn mostly the same poo poo), the basic answer is that they need to be in different places. AWACS wants to sit a couple hundred miles behind contested airspace, JSTARS wants to sit drat near right above whatever they're looking for on the ground...RJ is completely different based on all kinds of poo poo they don't tell anyone else about. AWACS likes to burn racetrack circles, the others don't. Throw in that you'll have a limited number of aircraft to do three separate but critical missions...good luck scheduling that. Right now there are AWACS deployed for multiple missions in the Middle East, and in South America, and on a permanent basis in the Pacific. RJ is all over the goddamn place, probably mostly Pacific/ME missions. JSTARS is in the ME. With a top number of maybe 35 aircraft, you can't reconcile the variety of missions required with the aircraft and crews available. The system is already stressed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've heard that being put in charge of Minot is like being sent to some division of a company with a rampant, habitual issue with being terrible, giving your bosses an excuse to nail you to the wall. That's probably overplayed, but it seems more or less to be the result of late.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Godholio posted:

Really, EVERYTHING we throw up in the air should have at least some capability in that regard. As a replacement for the RJ, that's a retarded idea, but putting most of the RJ hardware on the E-10 would've been one of the smarter parts of the program.

For anyone wondering why it's a dumb idea to combine missions that seem pretty similar (AWACS points the radar at the sky, JSTARS points it at the ground, the controllers share about 75% of their training and learn mostly the same poo poo), the basic answer is that they need to be in different places. AWACS wants to sit a couple hundred miles behind contested airspace, JSTARS wants to sit drat near right above whatever they're looking for on the ground...RJ is completely different based on all kinds of poo poo they don't tell anyone else about. AWACS likes to burn racetrack circles, the others don't. Throw in that you'll have a limited number of aircraft to do three separate but critical missions...good luck scheduling that. Right now there are AWACS deployed for multiple missions in the Middle East, and in South America, and on a permanent basis in the Pacific. RJ is all over the goddamn place, probably mostly Pacific/ME missions. JSTARS is in the ME. With a top number of maybe 35 aircraft, you can't reconcile the variety of missions required with the aircraft and crews available. The system is already stressed.
Is there an opportunity for enough commonality in the sensors for a common platform to perform all 3 functions and see some overall cost reductions due to economies of scale?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'd like to think those missions could be done on the same platform with only the software and the type/positioning of the buzzy ends being really different, but there's probably loads of problems involved.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'd also suspect some of that stuff has security concerns that the rest doesn't, and that you wouldn't want to subject the entire fleet to

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

grover posted:

Is there an opportunity for enough commonality in the sensors for a common platform to perform all 3 functions and see some overall cost reductions due to economies of scale?

Hey McNamara shut up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

grover posted:

The larger problem is probably that you may need ELINT where you don't need AWACS or you may need AWACS coverage in a location not optimal for where you need JSTARS coverage.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Koesj posted:

I'd like to think those missions could be done on the same platform with only the software and the type/positioning of the buzzy ends being really different, but there's probably loads of problems involved.
That's what I was thinking; if the only difference is the mode of operation you bring the consoles up in, you could use the aircraft interchangeably depending on mission requirements. Navy E-2D on station might free the aircraft up for a JSTARS mission, etc. Didn't know if there was some massive difference in training (are ABMs incapable of ELINT?) or other gotchas. Do AWACS have to look up, or would a belly-mounted RADAR have enough of a look angle from the side?

Though I have to wonder if UAVs with downlinks wouldn't be the better solution.

mlmp08 posted:

The larger problem is probably that you may need ELINT where you don't need AWACS or you may need AWACS coverage in a location not optimal for where you need JSTARS coverage.
:reject:

grover fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 24, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

loving double posts

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 24, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

None whatsoever. That said, it makes perfect sense to include ELINT capabilities because you can never gather too much info. AWACS already has some limited capability in this field, but they half-assed it when it could've been a serious asset.

grover posted:

That's what I was thinking; if the only difference is the mode of operation you bring the consoles up in, you could use the aircraft interchangeably. If you don't need JSTARs functions, the aircraft could potentially be available to fly an ELINT mission, or if a whole lot of ground poo poo was going on, USAF could hand off AWACS to an E-2D and have an extra JSTARS available.

No, it's completely different types of hardware, with antennas pointing in completely different directions, with completely different frequency ranges. You'd basically end up with a jet that had a dome on top for aerial radar, and a dong underneath for ground-mapping. As mentioned, over a battlefield they need to be in different places to do the different missions, and on a national level, those missions currently take place in different parts of the world. Also, an E-2 straight up doesn't have the capability to manage the same size AOR as an E-3...same thing with a Wedgetail, which is why I don't see us buying into the E-737. They don't have the hardware or crew to do it...if we went down that road, we'd need a lot more aircraft to make up for it.

quote:

Though I have to wonder if UAVs with downlinks wouldn't be the better solution.

That's what I think's gonna happen, in another 20-30 years.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 24, 2013

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Grover has an innate need to shove multiple systems into one platform.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Grover has an innate need to shove multiple systems into one platform.

And then add lasers to it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

or insulation

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

or insulation

:thurman:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PCjr sidecar posted:

also whoops we left live warheads on these cruise missiles on this transport flight

gfanikf posted:

Yep along with shipping the nuke fuses to Taiwan. I forgot if that was AF or someone else.

I imagine that the Russians read about this and are like "this totally cancels out the time we left those missiles and live warheads on that decommissioned SSBN for like a decade."

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
To step away from AWACSchat for a moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPTnsAP9wU&t=278s GoPro on the barrel of a B-24 ball turret.

Just plain awesome.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

God I bet the view inside that thing is just loving insane, especially when it's rotated so that the fifties are pointing nearly straight down.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cyrano4747 posted:

God I bet the view inside that thing is just loving insane, especially when it's rotated so that the fifties are pointing nearly straight down.

When I flew in the B-25, the view from the nose was breathtaking. I'm saving my pennies to ride in the B-17.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PhotoKirk posted:

When I flew in the B-25, the view from the nose was breathtaking. I'm saving my pennies to ride in the B-17.

The view out the nose of a B-17 is fantastic. You can look left and right to see all four engines and have a brilliant look down and around from the bombardier's seat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
For those of you who've done these, assuming ~6 people or whatever pay for a flight they don't just let you hog the nav/bombardier station the whole time, right? Is there a rotation or is it kinda ad hoc?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

For those of you who've done these, assuming ~6 people or whatever pay for a flight they don't just let you hog the nav/bombardier station the whole time, right? Is there a rotation or is it kinda ad hoc?

When Fifi (B-29) visited Palm Springs, I think they sold different seats at different prices. Waist gunner was cheapest, navigator and bombardier more expensive. Not sure if it's always done that way.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Psion posted:

The B-25 at the Lone Star Flight Museum lets you move to every position in the plane. They encourage everyone to spend a couple minutes at each station. We had five people (in addition to the crew) onboard when I flew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzUeM1ppoAY

If you get the nose seat in the B-17, you are stuck there for the entire flight.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

StandardVC10 posted:

When Fifi (B-29) visited Palm Springs, I think they sold different seats at different prices. Waist gunner was cheapest, navigator and bombardier more expensive. Not sure if it's always done that way.
Movement between the navigator/bombadier position and the rest of the aircraft isn't possible in some aircraft. Here's the policy for B-24 Diamond Lil:

maam.org posted:

There are several places to sit in the B-24. They include the bomb bay, radio operator’s area and the waist gunner’s area. There are no reserved seats on the B-24. This is because as soon as the aircraft is airborne you can get up and move throughout the aircraft… from the cockpit to the tail gunner’s position. You will be able to stand behind the pilots and see the controls and instruments. From there you can move back through the bomb bay and see replicas of the 500 lbs. bombs used throughout the war. Next you will stand in the open waist gunner’s position behind a 50 caliber machine gun and imagine the freezing air pouring in as the Messerschmitts bear down with guns ablaze. Furthest back is the tail gunner’s position with a panoramic view.

I got a ride in the back seat of an AT-6 at MAAM when I was a teen; was really loving cool. Obviously no moving between positions.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 26, 2013

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

PhotoKirk posted:

The B-25 at the Lone Star Flight Museum lets you move to every position in the plane. They encourage everyone to spend a couple minutes at each station. We had five people (in addition to the crew) onboard when I flew.
They made you crawl over the bomb bay in the B-25?

Psion posted:

PhotoKirk posted:

If you get the nose seat in the B-17, you are stuck there for the entire flight.

In the B17 I went on, everybody rotated around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnhI2M-NHg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
When I flew on a B-25 when I was a kid, I got to sit in the Bombardier's seat for the whole flight. This was probably because to get from the nose to the rest of the plane requires crawling through a fairly narrow tunnel that goes underneath the cockpit, something I'm sure the crew doesn't want people doing while they're still airborne. Can't say what the policy was for the rest of the aircraft, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

As Craptacular posted, in Aluminum Overcast, you move around the cabin, and they make sure if someone is hogging the nose compartment, they'll kick them out to get others in. It's very, very easy to lose a sense of time in that nose compartment. They had us up and out of our seats less than 90 seconds after wheels off the ground, IIRC. They seem to do their best to maximize your ability to move around the aircraft.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 26, 2013

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

B-17 Raid Over Damascus!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Scratch Monkey posted:

B-17 Raid Over Damascus!

gently caress that noise, I want the free sandwich!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

gently caress that noise, I want the free sandwich!

Eh it's not like its Wawa.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
IRONY: that photo was taken inside a Wawa!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Wawa sandwiches suck

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Any free sandwich is a good sandwich.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Insane Totoro posted:

Wawa sandwiches suck

You shut your whore mouth.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Wawa sandwiches suck

Truth.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Wawa sandwiches suck

Any sandwich tastes pretty good when you pull in off the road after about ten hours of driving. I've only eaten Wawa sandwiches when I was hungry enough to eat my own fist, so they'll always be delicious to me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
WaWa sandwiches are decent even here in Philly where we know what a great sandwich is. They kick the poo poo out of Subway, Schlotzky's, Quizno's, Blimpie, Jimmie John's, Firehouse, etc. They're not as good as Primo but Primo's about as good as a chain gets.

NASA crash-tested a CH-46 today. Good riddance:

http://www.livescience.com/39262-nasa-drops-chopper-in-crash-test.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NightGyr posted:

You shut your whore mouth.