Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's an official HD remake of NES Contra out on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.konami.contraevo.gp

According to most of the iOS version reviews I've read its apparently loaded with IAPs and the controls are really poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012
I remember SimCity being alright.... when it actually ran properly and wasn't crashing, and then when ICS came along I'm pretty sure support was dropped altogether. I'm still bitter about that.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

Malt posted:

Anyone able to explain to me how to do a shared mission on Elder Signs? Can't for the life of me figure it out and a few of the investigators cards promote doing that.

When you click a mission you can see who else is there. When there is someone else then the sharing thing will happen.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Malt posted:

Anyone able to explain to me how to do a shared mission on Elder Signs? Can't for the life of me figure it out and a few of the investigators cards promote doing that.

Yeah what Ronald Nixon said. The only way to end up doing a shared mission is for someone to fail it and then send in someone else to the same spot, though.

The benefit of doing it (whether or not you have character abilities that tie in to it) is that for every extra investigator there, you can "lock" one of your rolled symbols if you have to reroll. It can be pretty helpful for getting around missions that require a ton of the same symbol without using items.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012

brother-joseph posted:

Yeah what Ronald Nixon said. The only way to end up doing a shared mission is for someone to fail it and then send in someone else to the same spot, though.

The benefit of doing it (whether or not you have character abilities that tie in to it) is that for every extra investigator there, you can "lock" one of your rolled symbols if you have to reroll. It can be pretty helpful for getting around missions that require a ton of the same symbol without using items.

And anyway, if you play enough games eventually you'll get a problem with a midnight effect that adds a doom for each monster and you'll have 20 monsters on the board so you'll throw every investigator at it and watch them fail hopelessly - but you'll figure out this sharing thing!

I lost that game.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ZombyWoof posted:

I remember SimCity being alright.... when it actually ran properly and wasn't crashing, and then when ICS came along I'm pretty sure support was dropped altogether. I'm still bitter about that.

Same with Peggle. We waited so long for a port, and then it was poo poo, and then ICS came out a few weeks later, and Peggle never worked again.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Picked up dungeon raid yesterday after seeing it in the OP. Enjoying it, but my last few deaths have been kind of frustrating. I always end up not paying enough attention, then dying instantly after doing a hojillion damage to one of the reflect damage skulls via dazzle.

I've mostly been using the warrior, and picking up enchant (better gear is cool), big game (special skulls are cool, and I have a lot of poo poo to unlock), dazzle (turning coins into swords seems like a good way to kill my big game), and either disarm or teleport for a 'oh poo poo, I need some breathing room' skill.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Enchant seems good, but when you look at the cooldown and what it does, you're better off with a shorter cooldown skill that blows away or changes all of one kind of tile. You'll get more benefits and you'll also end up getting more upgrades.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

crumpuppet posted:

EA just announced they are bringing Dungeon Keeper to android!
:woop:

crumpuppet posted:

Free to play with IAP unfortunately
:negative:

gently caress you EA. Way to ruin the only chance you ever had of me having one of your games again.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Cippalippus posted:

:woop:

:negative:

gently caress you EA. Way to ruin the only chance you ever had of me having one of your games again.

Its really bad, but check out 'war for the overworld' on steam greenlight. Looks like a real spiritual successor to the old dungeon keeper games, though apparently its very early alpha right now and won't be out until some time next year.

Also whoever mentioned peggle, if you have the DS version you could play it on your phone with the new DS emulator. £8 or so might seem like a lot but its flawless emulation for the most part, and the DS has a fantastic library of RPGs and other stuff suited to phone controls that you could probably pick up very cheap now.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

There's an official HD remake of NES Contra out on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.konami.contraevo.gp

According to most of the iOS version reviews I've read its apparently loaded with IAPs and the controls are really poo poo.

I can't ever imagine touch screen controls doing that game justice...

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING

Brasseye posted:

Its really bad, but check out 'war for the overworld' on steam greenlight. Looks like a real spiritual successor to the old dungeon keeper games, though apparently its very early alpha right now and won't be out until some time next year.

Sweet, I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh and I just played my first online multiplayer game of Super Stickman Golf 2 via Google Play Games. It's pretty awesome, especially race mode :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any good management sim games that don't nickel and dime the poo poo out of you? I have OpenTTD, but it's not really optimized well to enjoy it on my phone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Been playing the poo poo out of Pixel Dungeons. Goo :argh: Maybe after a few more hours I'll defeat him somehow (and then die on the next level).

Seriously gently caress bosses in roguelikes. BOI being an exception but only because I was equally terrible at the rest of the game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any good management sim games that don't nickel and dime the poo poo out of you? I have OpenTTD, but it's not really optimized well to enjoy it on my phone.

A lot of Kairosoft games probably fall into this category if you have never tried them before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goetta posted:

A lot of Kairosoft games probably fall into this category if you have never tried them before.

I have Game Dev story, it's ok. I was REALLY addicted to it when I first got it, but I barely play it now. I appreciate the lack of IAP, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Also whoever mentioned peggle, if you have the DS version you could play it on your phone with the new DS emulator. £8 or so might seem like a lot but its flawless emulation for the most part, and the DS has a fantastic library of RPGs and other stuff suited to phone controls that you could probably pick up very cheap now.

I might be missing the point isn't the other two dungeon keeper games on GOG?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Been playing combat mission touch. Its really hard and awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5SRcH_6NUg

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

So Asphalt 8 has the distinction of being the first Gameloft game where the movement and physics actually match the rest of the presentation they're going for. It actually feels really good and is a lot of fun, especially with all the different routes through tracks and the decent sense of speed. I'd say it's up there with Real Racing 3 and Riptide GP2 now, and I'd never consider the previous games in the series anything more than novelties.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Are there any cooling pads for phones. My Samsung Galaxy S overheats when I try to play games or use the web browser.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skinny white boy posted:

Are there any cooling pads for phones. My Samsung Galaxy S overheats when I try to play games or use the web browser.

It sounds like your phone is defective.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

I have Game Dev story, it's ok. I was REALLY addicted to it when I first got it, but I barely play it now. I appreciate the lack of IAP, though.

Every kairosoft game I've played is that way for me. They're all VERY fun and interesting for a couple days and then thought of playing them again makes me nauseous with boredom. None of them are a good purchase for me.

Also that's a shame the contra remake sucks because it looks really cool.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
Kairosoft games are always fun to me until I find a winning formula. I wish there were some that didn't just have the "right combination" to make you automatically win things.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Corridor posted:

Been playing the poo poo out of Pixel Dungeons. Goo :argh: Maybe after a few more hours I'll defeat him somehow (and then die on the next level).

Seriously gently caress bosses in roguelikes. BOI being an exception but only because I was equally terrible at the rest of the game.

Goo is probably the hardest boss just because 90% of the time you don't have good enough equipment to kill him.

Anyway, just got the amulet with a warrior, now to contemplate how masochistic I am and if I want to try with the other classes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

skinny white boy posted:

If you're taking about an original Galaxy S, it might not be able to handle the load anymore.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

It depends what you prefer. My personal favourite is Ninja village, that's a combo of town management and large scale army battles with your NPCs in key positions. Dungeon village similarly uses lots of individual NPCs doing the usual JRPG stuff but has a little less going for it than Ninja village. In terms of pure management, the best I've played is Mega mall story, there's a lot of game there for very little money.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I've been playing the little roguelike Dweller from the OP, it's actually pretty fun. The tiles are really hard to tap on if you're playing it zoomed out, and it's hard to see where you're going when you play it zoomed in, but otherwise it's cool. Sucks the dude hardly ever works on it anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Of the Kairosoft games I prefer the ones that have placement of rooms/buildings like World Cruise Story and things like that, they're like a stripped down Maxis game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tori CMOS posted:

It sounds like your phone is defective.

Call Samsung, they might replace it. If you're lucky, you'll get a free upgrade - escalate the call and mention that you've heard of Galaxy phones exploding and you're really worried. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-22/samsung-to-probe-complaint-of-galaxy-s-phone-overheating.html

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Guys. Asphalt 8 is really fun. Best arcade racer I've played on android. Beautiful and smooth as hell to boot!

Highly recommended.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012

Aardvark Barber posted:

Guys. Asphalt 8 is really fun. Best arcade racer I've played on android. Beautiful and smooth as hell to boot!

Highly recommended.

It does seem quite fun. Maybe my phone is being lovely (Xperia Z) but it lags to hell on High and even on Medium it stutters now and then. This is on the latest firmware btw (4.2.2 / .244 build).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How do you guys beat the final boss on MMoJ?

I've got @Man, captain premium, galaxy girl and sweet justice as my heroes. They're all level 15 with their specials all at max.

As soon as i started fighting the aliens and those super suit enemies my guys just started getting stomped and i only really got past those fights by using all of my powers at once.

Now i've gradually made it to the last fight and not even my powers make a difference.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aardvark Barber posted:

Highly recommended.

I'd consider it if it wasn't gameloft. That company churns out so many games its unbelievable.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I just discovered that POWDER has been ported to android as well! in fact, it was ported a few years ago. The UI is actually pretty slick, not as good as pixel dungeon but not bad considering it was originally written for the GBA. It's not on the play store though, you'll have to get the .apk from the guy's website. Still, worth it, it's a really good game.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kin posted:

How do you guys beat the final boss on MMoJ?

I've got @Man, captain premium, galaxy girl and sweet justice as my heroes. They're all level 15 with their specials all at max.

As soon as i started fighting the aliens and those super suit enemies my guys just started getting stomped and i only really got past those fights by using all of my powers at once.

Now i've gradually made it to the last fight and not even my powers make a difference.

I'm slowly grinding through the aliens sector. The game went from really easy to really difficult instantly for me.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
So me and my friend are enjoying QI4A but I can't for the life of me get our phones to connect multiplayer over the wifi. We can both connect to the same quakeworld game and play but when we try to connect to either of our IPs it won't work. Any ideas? Or maybe you guys could just recommend an FPS we could go head to head on.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I'd consider it if it wasn't gameloft. That company churns out so many games its unbelievable.

It still has that generic clone feel of almost every other Gameloft game, but if you are into arcade racing and have ever enjoyed a game like Burnout it is well worth the .99

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

loudog999 posted:

It still has that generic clone feel of almost every other Gameloft game, but if you are into arcade racing and have ever enjoyed a game like Burnout it is well worth the .99
The actual game is pretty fun, I just don't really get on with tilt-to-turn racing games, they always feel horribly unresponsive and inexact. I've yet to see any touch/tilt-based control scheme that I can really put up with in a racing game.

The other thing that annoys me is that they charged me for the game and then still push IAP in my face constantly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I like Real Racing's tilt controls more than I thought I would. I had to turn the sensitivity up a bunch for Asphalt and it felt pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Does it support controllers at all?

• Locked thread