Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or quick save/quick load abuse which is really hard to resist in PC shooters.
I never really saw how that was an abuse or "cheating the game" when so many games reminded you to save often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well I mean it's not cheating per se, so many FPS were practically designed with that in mind. But it certainly took you out of the game.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

The first Resistance game did that too, and it felt a lot more fun to me than the second which just had 'crouch behind cover' and two weapons at any given time.

Man the Resistance series got really bad after the first game. Haven't played much of 3 but it wasn't super inspiring.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The Riddick style is indeed a good compromise. The "hide until you're fully healed" thing tends to take me out of the game, but the loads of ammo and health right before a big fight isn't much better. I remember a third-person C64 game I played the hell out of when I was a kid called Airborne Ranger. You parachuted in supply drops before combat, and when fighting your way through a mission, there was a chance your armor would absorb enemy fire. But if it didn't, you could only take two wounds and keep going; the third one killed you. It encouraged you to be very smart about where your supply drops were and how you engaged the enemy on each map. It was a pretty cool setup for that kind of game, especially considering the time in which the game came out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Airborne Ranger was the poo poo, even though I was a stupid kid and dropped all my supplies in one place, making my guy lug around 150lbs at a snail's pace. :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DigitalAdhesive posted:

A few years working for Kotaku didn't help.
Jason Schreier does some decent stuff like this at Kotaku, though I guess he kind of counts as a diamond among the dung.

As far as alternatives to health kits and/or regenerating health, I liked how Battlefield Bad Company 1 did it - you had a healing syringe that could heal you at any time, but it had a cooldown on its use. It was a nice variant on health regen that gave a bit of control back to the player, and it was kind of a shame to see that method abandoned in BC2.

The new Shadow Warrior remake has a weird method in which you can self-heal at any time, but doing so makes nearby enemies more aggressive... I'm not sure how well that works, but it's an interesting idea at least.

The OUYA: So exciting and innovative, we're talking about game mechanic design instead! :haw:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The original Halo had the shield/health bar combo that I thought worked really well. The shield regenerates but health is gone for good until you find a medkit. I remember being pretty irritated that they completely scrapped that in favour of just the shield moving forwards.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regenerating health is very much a replacement for repeated reloading, which itself was a form of regenerating your health in exchange for progress. As a personal anecdotal example, I ran out of health packs during one of the bosses in SS:SE and reloading wasn't helping so I had to use cheats to get through.

I'd say that outside Doom and maybe some of the more arcade-y first person games, health packs don't work very well. (and some forms of multiplayer, of course)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

The original Halo had the shield/health bar combo that I thought worked really well. The shield regenerates but health is gone for good until you find a medkit. I remember being pretty irritated that they completely scrapped that in favour of just the shield moving forwards.

Halo Reach and ODST both use the old shield/health bar mechanic, and they're both very good games if you've not played them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Jason Schreier does some decent stuff like this at Kotaku, though I guess he kind of counts as a diamond among the dung.

That Kotaku article is the most journalistic video games article I've ever seen on the traditional gaming sites. Sourced quotes, competent writing, objective tone, etc. The only person you could compare that article to is Erik Kain, who writes video game articles for Forbes at a standard you'd expect from a world leading publication for business and financial articles.

But on a more serious note, how much longer can the entire OUYA operation last? They have no significant revenue to offset production costs and salaries, so once that last injection of capital runs out they are literally bankrupt. Is Uhrman meeting with venture capitalists daily presenting her MS Paint graphs and promising millions of units sold in the next few financial quarters and highlighting every sold game from the OUYA marketplace as the initial trickle of an oncoming flood of purchases? How has this entire operation not collapsed into a Business 101 case study of what not to do yet?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I can't say I ever actively sought out health packs if I was low on health. I just hoped the design would carry me through it and I'd eventually find some.

Or quick save/quick load abuse which is really hard to resist in PC shooters.

For the first three levels of Jedi Outcast on master difficulty I pretty much bound quick save/quick load to mouse 1 and mouse 2

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The guys at MOGOtxt have eventually fully funded their NFL game project for android, iOS (and OUYA) with their own funds. So now I guess either they let the campaign end and we'll see if OUYA participates into the scam because they desperately need games and visibility, either they cancel it.

14 days to go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Requested_Username posted:

For the first three levels of Jedi Outcast on master difficulty I pretty much bound quick save/quick load to mouse 1 and mouse 2

Yeah for a long time games were basically developed assuming you'd do this.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The guys at MOGOtxt have eventually fully funded their NFL game project for android, iOS (and OUYA) with their own funds. So now I guess either they let the campaign end and we'll see if OUYA participates into the scam because they desperately need games and visibility, either they cancel it.

14 days to go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o

Kinda hoping that Ouya gives them their money and both MOGOtxt's money and Ouya's money ends up going to the NFLPA when the game eventually gets sued for using NFL players without consent, because god knows some indy bullshit title doesn't have a proper NFLPA license.

E: Just noticed this about the "screenshots", the Score ticker they have is exactly the same across all of them so yeah, all that's poo poo is photoshopped. But hey, it's not like the Ouya isn't known to get their money based on bullshit renders.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 25, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

14 days to go!

quote:

And by using modern game development methods we are developing the game quickly and we will release it this Fall, just in time for the excitement of the NFL season.

"modern game development methods" like the popular GameMaker, I presume.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Kinda hoping that Ouya gives them their money and both MOGOtxt's money and Ouya's money ends up going to the NFLPA when the game eventually gets sued for using NFL players without consent, because god knows some indy bullshit title doesn't have a proper NFLPA license.

With as much as that Kickstarter is bloviating about their amazing innovative Fantasy Football experience and being able to read NFL news and read players' twitters and all that bullshit and not so much about an actual football game, I have a feeling that there isn't actually going to be a game beyond "an NFL news / twitter RSS, also some fantasy bullshit." Which would be the funniest thing of all if it is the case.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Remember, the highest grossing FREE THE GAMES recipient gets matching funds PLUS an extra $100,000!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Now that we've established regenerating health and levels where you can't possibly get lost is the pinnacle of game design can we go back to making fun of the Ouya?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now that we've established regenerating health and levels where you can't possibly get lost is the pinnacle of game design can we go back to making fun of the Ouya?

Even our roundabout conversation about regenerating health had more thought to it than anything Ouya has ever done.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

14 days to go!

If these guys manage to scam money out of Ouya and release a complete shitshow for practically no effort then good on them.

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

E: Just noticed this about the "screenshots", the Score ticker they have is exactly the same across all of them so yeah, all that's poo poo is photoshopped. But hey, it's not like the Ouya isn't known to get their money based on bullshit renders.

it seems like it is a split between the game part and the ticker/fantasy stuff. They say the have a license for that. I'm guess the actual game part will just have all generic names.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Super Jay Mann posted:

How about there are many schools of game design and both regenerating health and health packs are equally valid approaches to the problem of determining a failure state, provided they are designed properly. The widespread implementation of poor regenerating health systems doesn't mean the system itself is a bad idea (Halo in particular gets too much flack in the whole regenerating health talk as it was done perfectly there and in fact is still probably the best implementation of the system to date) nor does the existence of regenerating health obsolete the design paradigm of treating health as a rationed resource, as that approach has its own sets of advantages that many types of players appreciate.

Fortunately no one will have to worry about these type of things when getting an Ouya because they can just be guaranteed bad design with every acquired game!

I actually enjoyed the hell out of Bioshock Infinite's health system. You've got a very quickly regenerating shield that acts like a minor buffer for your larger health bar, and the health bar regenerates from pickups. Thing is, in some battles you can actually create a limited quantity of health pickups in designated areas, scrounge some health off bodies, get equipment that will give you temporary invincibility or health back when killing enemies, etc. It also helps that all of your special abilities have some flavor of incapacitating enemies so that you can avoid getting shot. It ends up being a great blend of hiding behind cover when necessary and going full Rambo on enemies by chain disabling them while annihilating them with gunfire - you can't afford to take unnecessary gunfire, but you've got tools to deal with a good number of enemies at once. Death is also interesting precisely because quicksaving doesn't exist - you lose some of your limited cash in the game that would otherwise be spent on minor upgrades.

I'm mildly curious if the OUYA will ever end up with any really interesting games.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.
I think we're all missing something important here, we may (may, if we're lucky) get Kanye Ouya tweets.

:holy:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't let his controller get into its (dead) zone.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

So should we pool our collective funds together to get a Zybourne Clock game going on the Free the Games kickstarter?

We could donate the funds OUYA hands out (if they hand them out) to a charity or something I guess?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mintergalactic posted:

So should we pool our collective funds together to get a Zybourne Clock game going on the Free the Games kickstarter?

We could donate the funds OUYA hands out (if they hand them out) to a charity or something I guess?

I don't trust to enter a legal agreement with someone whose lawyer's email is "better call Saul".

Second: why doing a perfect job for free and at OUYA's advantage while you can release it on everything but not OUYA?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yodzilla posted:

If these guys manage to scam money out of Ouya and release a complete shitshow for practically no effort then good on them.

I think it's naive to think anyone is going to punk the company that gave away Ouyas in a gift bag before their KS backers ever got theirs

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
People assume OUYA will actually give them money, as if their "free the games" were serious. They could as well promise 72 virgins if you blow yourself up in the BIG THREE headquarters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cippalippus posted:

People assume OUYA will actually give them money, as if their "free the games" were serious. They could as well promise 72 virgins if you blow yourself up in the BIG THREE headquarters.
And that would destroy Call of Duty and Madden forever! :downs:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Touch, I remember touch. The pad didn't work much. A controller in my hand.

Sorry to jump back a bit, but

Piss
So many lies
It never arrived
Anger like a storm
How do I begin?
A charge within a charge
A shill behind a shill
OUYA, where do you lead?
I need something more
Tell me what Xpants sees
I need something more

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Wow, this thread's still going. Anyone see OUYA's awful attempt at a commercial? Now they are asking fans to make their commercials for them. Folks here should make one, using the halleouya song :)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aweful Dreams posted:

Wow, this thread's still going. Anyone see OUYA's awful attempt at a commercial? Now they are asking fans to make their commercials for them.
Wait, OUYA made a commercial? First I'm hearing of this.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWlhYBNA-s

It was pulled from the official OUYA Youtube page - they claim it was just a test video they were releasing for feedback.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You might want to lay on the sarcasm a bit more next time, JazzFlight.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Hey, I ain't been around for a while, you never know

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Aweful Dreams posted:

So how is your game doing? Is it selling better than it was before?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Morby posted:

So how is your game doing? Is it selling better than it was before?

Don't be ridiculous. He's been too busy working on his second game to pay attention to such things.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Aweful Dreams posted:

Well it's really a shame that old posts are locked forever away where no one could possibly read them to catch up with what has happened, and therefore not bring up something that was discussed already in the last three days.

raditts posted:

Don't be ridiculous. He's been too busy working on his second game to pay attention to such things.

Secret of Universe Beta?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Secret of Universe Alpha Turbo 2: Street Fighter edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

That game of yours looks pretty awesome, Aweful Dreams. I think that you should probably try to get the second game onto Games For Windows Live. OUYA's having a rough summer, for sure, but GFWL is taking the world by storm!

• Locked thread