Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

FractalSandwich posted:

I used to know both the games I'm seriously looking at pretty well, but I haven't played them in a few years, so I've probably forgotten a lot of the details. I'd have to get back into them before started the LP, but that seems like it's good form anyway.

Pretty much. I hadn't played Ratchet and Clank in about five years before I considered LPing it, so I went through and played it again and I'm glad I did.

Also, if the game you are planning has multiple difficulties, I'd actually suggest you play the game at one or two difficulties higher than the one you're planning to do for the LP. I tend to LP games on the normal difficulty settings because that's what most people play, but for my practice run of Crack In Time I played on Hard, just to improve myself a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Lizard Wizard posted:

Seeing as these videos date back to June 23rd, I'd say this would be the definition of a Youtube dump if you made a thread for it. Do you plan on restarting, or...?

Is it? I just never got a chance to get all the pieces that I wanted together for an OP.

Plus, I wanted at least one Big Bet before I did a thread so people could get an idea of what I wanted to do. Maybe that was a mistake.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Lizard Wizard posted:

Seeing as these videos date back to June 23rd, I'd say this would be the definition of a Youtube dump if you made a thread for it. Do you plan on restarting, or...?

But... It's not a Youtube dump at all? He did a dry run equivalent to the first episode or two you start with in a thread so the viewer knows how the videos are going to work for the LP. A Youtube dump is a finished LP being posted all at once for the sake of popularity and no thread interaction. This thread seems like it will have a lot of thread interaction, and that there is still the bulk majority of the game to cover.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fair enough, shouldn't have knee-jerked.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kalonZombie posted:

Pretty much. I hadn't played Ratchet and Clank in about five years before I considered LPing it, so I went through and played it again and I'm glad I did.

Same here with Tales of Destiny. But do yourself a favor and space out your replay and the LP. I dove right into the LP the moment I finished it and I'm regretting it because it's way too soon for me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To be fair it kind of depends on the game. With Yoshi's Island (I know, I know) I've been replaying it for the first time in years as I record. I could play this game over and over pretty easily, but with a JRPG like Takes it's way less compartmentalized, and choices you make early can affect things way later, in which case a replay beforehand is probably more advised

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ok Amazing posted:

Right, text in not-bold, i'll probably put my own comments in bold or something, unless bold is universally frowned upon.

I had my suspicions that the GIFs would be too big, but it's nice to have that confirmed... I'll mess around with them, try to find a good way to get the frames down, maybe ask on the tech support fort. And when i've got those problems solved, i'll be back for another test post! Thanks for the tips everyone!

Just because I don't think I was clear enough: your gif issues were purely framerate related. It's not filesize or anything. If you make them in vdub from video, it's literally a matter of changing the framerate to 30 or lower (I like 20).

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

I'm taking a stab at LPing Doom 2. My original goal with my last LP of Doom was to go through the game and find bugs and glitches and show how things were designed and built from a software developers perspective. I've decided to pace things down a little with Doom 2 with a test video for the first level. I'm somewhat satisfied with how it turned out but I am open to any comments or suggestions.

Some glitches and bugs must be shown off using cheat codes, so my original plan was to complete each level normally, save, then show off what I can then reload and complete the level normally. This is the best idea I could come up with to 'play' through areas that aren't normally accessible otherwise.

Here is the unlisted beta test for Map 01: Entryway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxEt8DY2aVc

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Your commentary gives me the feeling that you time-traveled from the year 1993. Wow, it's got line-defs and different upper and lower textures! Amazing! I'm not sure how many people will find that fascinating, and I also used to design levels for Doom 2. It was so boring that I couldn't stand to watch it all the way through.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 24, 2013

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Your commentary gives me the feeling that you time-traveled from the year 1993. Wow, it's got line-defs and different upper and lower textures! Amazing! I'm not sure how many people will find that fascinating, and I also used to design levels for Doom 2. It was so boring that I couldn't stand to watch it all the way through.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Seeing as how it's boring, what would make it interesting?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

valkhorn posted:

I'm taking a stab at LPing Doom 2.
I never would have expected to see a Doom video where it takes almost three minutes before the first kill happens. Or where the first level drags out for 12 minutes in total. But here we are. :confused:

Look, I understand your angle and what you want to go for, but it would only be interesting for a very select group of nerds. It's almost as if you're a teacher and made a dissertation about doom. It's just plain boring to hear about this stuff, and to watch you stand around while you tell me about it. Doom isn't even exciting to watch in the first place. Also, and this is more a personal taste thing, you don't need to talk all the drat time.

I duno, dude. Aside from good group commentary or challenge/race runs, I don't see how you can make interesting videos about Doom.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

valkhorn posted:

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Seeing as how it's boring, what would make it interesting?

Not spending 3 minutes on vertex descriptions and playing the game. You have an angle that could be explained in the thread with screenshots and text better than making the video run so long for a fairly short level.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Happily I've finally managed to successfully rerecord a video! My Project Eden LP is reborn! I will be editing and uploading the opening cutscene to get an idea of how the quality is, as the first level is ~40 minutes long. However I think that that's not too long for this game as the levels are varied in design and it is very interesting seeing how the sections of each level connect with themselves. If the feeling is that it is needed, however, I will find places to cut into seperate vids.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

Happily I've finally managed to successfully rerecord a video! My Project Eden LP is reborn! I will be editing and uploading the opening cutscene to get an idea of how the quality is, as the first level is ~40 minutes long. However I think that that's not too long for this game as the levels are varied in design and it is very interesting seeing how the sections of each level connect with themselves. If the feeling is that it is needed, however, I will find places to cut into seperate vids.
Yes! Wanna be there from the ground floor.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

I never would have expected to see a Doom video where it takes almost three minutes before the first kill happens. Or where the first level drags out for 12 minutes in total. But here we are. :confused:

Look, I understand your angle and what you want to go for, but it would only be interesting for a very select group of nerds. It's almost as if you're a teacher and made a dissertation about doom. It's just plain boring to hear about this stuff, and to watch you stand around while you tell me about it. Doom isn't even exciting to watch in the first place. Also, and this is more a personal taste thing, you don't need to talk all the drat time.

I duno, dude. Aside from good group commentary or challenge/race runs, I don't see how you can make interesting videos about Doom.

I really appreciate yours and the other comments. I guess me being such an Aspie I never realized that the game while interesting to me isn't as interesting to others. I may do the run anyway just for completion's sake, though.

What about this idea - two videos per level. First level is where I dive in and start killing everything as quickly as I can and before I exit the level, I offer a 2nd video explaining everything so people don't have the option of sitting through it? Either way, I guess I could still do a LP of the game just as a testing ground for other ideas later. Someone else mentioned talking about the technical details in the thread if I created one, but not everyone who will find the video on Youtube will be from SA or will read the thread, so to me that makes no sense.

I have one or two other (very different) games planned but I'm not going to make an interest post because I read the rules. Once I get something that can record directly from the PS3 I'll post a test video or two but it could take a week to find something to capture video reliable from the PS3. I hope you'll like that choice of game better.

I'm really hoping it's the choice of game that is the Achilles Heel with the Doom 2 idea.

valkhorn fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 24, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The game is interesting but you are just terribly unorganized. On the one hand, you keep introducing the audience to basic concepts such as "This is imp", on the other you just casually mention much more advanced features without any clarification (Archvile) and plain assume a level of proficiency thats at odds with your baseline approach.

Also you keep on insisting that you are gonna showcase some bugs but then you just noclip through the level without really showing anything except for some textures that are located outside the map? And it takes several minutes? And you keep talking through every second of the experience? Sorry, that ain't interesting. Unless you an storm through the game and its secrets as efficiently as man can do, you don't really have much to offer.

By the way, saying that the game consists of vertices and that textures can be animated isn't the cutting edge of behind the scene commentary. Maybe you should try harder or just be comfortable with the idea of not commentating very much at all.t

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Post-release of the first BioShock game Ken Levine and the gang at Irrational were already piecing together plans for another BioShock game. There may have even been scraps of Infinite around the studio while BioShock was under development but never the less, something was brewing. Immediately after release they began working on "Project Icarus", a codename used in their studio to avoid potential leaks. The worked on what would become Infinite for more than two years before making any sort of announcement. Soon, though, in 2010 they had finally announced the game. Fast-forwarding to early 2012, Irrational had announced a Fall 2012 release date and then over the course of 2012 had to continually push back the release date as they weren't happy with the state of the game. Irrational were luckily given complete freedom to work on their game for as long as necessary which likely contributed to how polished the final product feels.

One of the reasons BioShock Infinite not only looks so great in and of itself but also very different from previous BioShock games is because they essentially had to re-design assets from the ground up. Having moved to a new engine (Unreal 3) and having developed custom lighting and physics (like how Columbia is constantly bobbing up and down for example) and thus Infinite looks leagues better than BioShock 1 and 2 did while still maintaining that same visual flair known to the BioShock series.

During development Ken Levine worked closely with voice actors Troy Baker (Booker) and Courtnee Draper (Elizabeth) to develop their characters and ultimately to develop parts of the narrative. A practice known to be uncommon in games development. A lot of scenes in game were improvised and fleshed out through long recording sessions with the three of them. I'll get in to this more in another post but their close working leads to some extremely well done dynamics between characters rather than having actors in on separate days recording lines in solitary, much of it was recorded together, reacting to each other and acting out scenes rather than just recording a batch of lines.

:siren: NO SPOILERS. DO NOT DISCUSS AHEAD WITH OR WITHOUT TAGS. :siren:
If you must discuss the previous games and their DLC, do so respectfully and use tags where possible. Usually I would be okay with discussing games far past release but these are games worth experiencing blindly and so I'd like to preserve that for those here who haven't played the Shock games.

Brainamp made a fantastic LP of the first BioShock game http://lparchive.org/Bioshock/
As well as an on-going LP of BioShock 2: ..I guess it fell to the archives? I'll link it here if/when it comes back..

Table of Contents
BioShock Infinite - Update 01: Hallelujah
BioShock Infinite - Update 02: Raffle & Fair
---

Booker DeWitt
Booker is the player character and protagonist of Infinite. Before coming to Columbia he spent his years as a private investigator based in New York, drinking and gambling away his money. How he came to meet the strangers rowing him toward the lighthouse and why he was taken to Columbia remains a mystery.

Zachary Hale Comstock
Comstock is the perceivably benevolent leader of the denizens of Columbia. Often revered and shown great deals of unabiding love and idolization from his followers. A very successful business man and later politician. Took to the skies with the founding of Columbia and left America in the dirt, believing Colbuma to be the pinnacle of American Exceptionalism.

Character bios will be updated as more information is revealed through the story or voxophones.

---

Title suggestions welcome.

v v I seriously need an editor. I'm the most poo poo proof reader ever. Even when it's big red lettering.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sundowner posted:

Potential title: "Bring us the goon and wipe away the sweat" - Let's Play BioShock Infinite!
Looks good for the most part, the only thing that seems off is that in 'Thread Stuff' you misspelled thread. Otherwise it seems as good as always. Sadly I never got around to playing the game myself so I can't offer up any good thread titles.

VVVVVVV
I wouldn't sweat it; Baldurk usually tries to update the archive in bulk rather than just individual LP's at a time. So I he's probably waiting for that or just being busy making sure that our archives and LPix doesn't explode.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 24, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"What do you mean it has an ending? Let's Play Bioshock Infinite!"

"Barbershop quartets FOREVER! Let's Play Bioshock Infinite!"

...also, huh, apparently I emailed baldurk a week ago about archiving my Civ V LP and forgot I did it. No response from him either way. *shrug*

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I did a quick test video of LP'in Resonance, a little adventure game that is pretty fun. The voice acting and music are really good, imo, so I kept editing/commentary very minimal. Just wanted to get some input or suggestions on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJWhx5lLLWE

If you want to skip the intro of the game, it's 1:24 in.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

valkhorn posted:

How the heck do you almost die in the first level of Doom 2?

Also, don't record the game's audio through your microphone because it sounds very muffled; programs like Fraps allow you to record both the microphone and the system audio all at once. Otherwise, I'll echo the other concerns that people raised and say this is way too descriptive for its own good. You don't need to look at a water texture and go "This is an animated texture". We know! Also, did you really spend 3 minutes just looking for a wall texture? Why? This is a shooter, just go out and kill stuff already! A lot of the things you say just go way over my head and all in all, this is just not a very interesting video.

There might be something worthy in your approach, but you don't need to talk about every single piece of detail that this game has. Just show off what is truly interesting or important instead of spending all of your time talking about stuff that no one except a Doom hardcore fan will care about.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

valkhorn posted:

I'm taking a stab at LPing Doom 2. My original goal with my last LP of Doom was to go through the game and find bugs and glitches and show how things were designed and built from a software developers perspective. I've decided to pace things down a little with Doom 2 with a test video for the first level. I'm somewhat satisfied with how it turned out but I am open to any comments or suggestions.

Some glitches and bugs must be shown off using cheat codes, so my original plan was to complete each level normally, save, then show off what I can then reload and complete the level normally. This is the best idea I could come up with to 'play' through areas that aren't normally accessible otherwise.

I find the technical stuff kind of interesting, but you seriously need to spread it out a bit, it took you two and a half minutes just to get off the first platform :psyduck: and then you nearly got yourself killed on the first level. You also introduced the imps at least twice.

Honestly what I'd recommend is post commentary. Doom 2 is one of those chaotic games where it can be crazy difficult to focus on the game AND on talking at the same time. Post commentary gives you time to sort of script out what you want to mention when without having to worry about the rear end in a top hat throwing fireballs at your face. You also might want to have your guide handy, or on another monitor if you're using two, since stopping the video to look makes it look a bit unprofessional.

I'm basically just echoing what everyone else said, you can do an informative LP of Doom 2, but you're cramming WAY too much into one video, and you come off very Cornshaq-ey. It's really hard to pay attention to and just turns into white noise as we wait for you to cut something in half with the chainsaw.

If I recall, Zdoom has multiplayer on the 'campaign' mode, another route you might want to try is getting multiple people on skype and playing through. Group LPs tend to be fun to do and watch.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sundowner posted:

"Bring us the goon and wipe away the sweat"

Just saying, but that's a pretty terrible title.

Sundowner posted:

- Feel free to discuss the previous games and how it relates to Infinite but do so tastefully and use your judgment on whether you're about to spoil something important or not.
- Just because they were released many years ago doesn't make them exempt from being unspoiled. Please use spoiler tags if you're going to mention anything of pertinence from the previous two games and all of their DLCs.

As for this, just link lps of the previous games or something and let people talk about them in relation to this one as they want. And there is only one story DLC between 1 and 2, Minerva's den. Speaking of which, I should probably get that thread up at some point.

And this is just a personal preference, but having an op that explains jack and poo poo about the game annoys the gently caress out of me.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 25, 2013

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

After some dickery, I decided on going down the Subtitled LP route.
Not sure if it's decent enough... so criticism is welcomed. If need be, I'll probably go back to fix it up.
By the way, the game's Wario Land 3. Was initially on the fence about it due to FutureFriend's recent thread on the whole series.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

widespread posted:

After some dickery, I decided on going down the Subtitled LP route.
Not sure if it's decent enough... so criticism is welcomed. If need be, I'll probably go back to fix it up.
By the way, the game's Wario Land 3. Was initially on the fence about it due to FutureFriend's recent thread on the whole series.

I kind of question why you would really go for a subtitled Let's Play here, since Wario Land 3 isn't really the kind of atmospheric game that I would say doesn't really deserve subtitles and most of the info you seem to give isn't the things people were criticizing you for in your last attempt. In fact, I'd say this would work out better as a voiced LP because the pacing of the subtitles is way too fast and seems like something that you could diverge better by talking over it instead of using subtitles that are on screen for half a second.

Anyway, if you really want to go through with the subtitled LP idea, space subtitles out more and maybe save some information for later or throw out some of the filler text if you really want to talk about this.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

I kind of question why you would really go for a subtitled Let's Play here, since Wario Land 3 isn't really the kind of atmospheric game that I would say doesn't really deserve subtitles and most of the info you seem to give isn't the things people were criticizing you for in your last attempt. In fact, I'd say this would work out better as a voiced LP because the pacing of the subtitles is way too fast and seems like something that you could diverge better by talking over it instead of using subtitles that are on screen for half a second.
The main reasoning behind the subtitled approach was mostly- if not entirely- due to a personal hesitance with recording my voice. Though I'm fine with listening to it, I'm more concerned on the output. After all, my current mic is a Logitech headset. As for the subtitle timing, I'll admit I'm not that great with that. I went off the assumption that three-to-four seconds was adequate for each title.

FutureFriend posted:

Anyway, if you really want to go through with the subtitled LP idea, space subtitles out more and maybe save some information for later or throw out some of the filler text if you really want to talk about this.
Guess I could. I was mostly concerned with having too little commentary for the video.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Ok! So while I sort out technical issues with my other LP idea, I've got a few questions about a potential now/future LP I plan to do.

Here's the format: I play a group of games at a time on some old shareware CD from the mid-90s. I put the thread to a vote for their favorites and the top three (four? five? Probably subject to the complexity of the games overall) Will be put through a more in-depth look in the LP. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to skip more well known games or not, but I'm going to be doing my best to unearth the best and worst of the indie PC gaming scene.

What I'm worried about is whether I can make something watchable out of this, or if I'm going to run into problems.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

widespread posted:

The main reasoning behind the subtitled approach was mostly- if not entirely- due to a personal hesitance with recording my voice. Though I'm fine with listening to it, I'm more concerned on the output. After all, my current mic is a Logitech headset. As for the subtitle timing, I'll admit I'm not that great with that. I went off the assumption that three-to-four seconds was adequate for each title.

Guess I could. I was mostly concerned with having too little commentary for the video.

Something might have gone wrong in the encoding or something then because the subtitles only were on screen for like 2 seconds at the most, although even if you can fix this, I would personally have the subtitles be on for 5-6 seconds per sentence.

Also, if you're worried about mic quality, there's no shame in waiting a while until you have the money scrounged up for a better one.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Danaru posted:

I find the technical stuff kind of interesting, but you seriously need to spread it out a bit, it took you two and a half minutes just to get off the first platform :psyduck: and then you nearly got yourself killed on the first level. You also introduced the imps at least twice.

Honestly what I'd recommend is post commentary. Doom 2 is one of those chaotic games where it can be crazy difficult to focus on the game AND on talking at the same time. Post commentary gives you time to sort of script out what you want to mention when without having to worry about the rear end in a top hat throwing fireballs at your face. You also might want to have your guide handy, or on another monitor if you're using two, since stopping the video to look makes it look a bit unprofessional.

I'm basically just echoing what everyone else said, you can do an informative LP of Doom 2, but you're cramming WAY too much into one video, and you come off very Cornshaq-ey. It's really hard to pay attention to and just turns into white noise as we wait for you to cut something in half with the chainsaw.

If I recall, Zdoom has multiplayer on the 'campaign' mode, another route you might want to try is getting multiple people on skype and playing through. Group LPs tend to be fun to do and watch.

I really like the multiplayer idea. I can probably rig that up and get commentary going at the same time. If anything I might know someone locally who is willing to sit down and play the game - but I don't know if he's open to recording his voice. He's too timid for his own good but he's got no verbal filter so that's nice.

I'm going to attempt two or three different recordings with different WADs, and more action, and a separate game, possibly tonight with an idea I just had (or maybe three recordings) and see what you guys think. If anything I'm resourceful.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

How the heck do you almost die in the first level of Doom 2?

Also, don't record the game's audio through your microphone because it sounds very muffled; programs like Fraps allow you to record both the microphone and the system audio all at once. Otherwise, I'll echo the other concerns that people raised and say this is way too descriptive for its own good. You don't need to look at a water texture and go "This is an animated texture". We know! Also, did you really spend 3 minutes just looking for a wall texture? Why? This is a shooter, just go out and kill stuff already! A lot of the things you say just go way over my head and all in all, this is just not a very interesting video.

There might be something worthy in your approach, but you don't need to talk about every single piece of detail that this game has. Just show off what is truly interesting or important instead of spending all of your time talking about stuff that no one except a Doom hardcore fan will care about.

I wish I could multiquote, because I hate double posting, but I do like your feedback a lot. I try to use a quality headset to record my voice but the audio seems to come through. I probably could just pipe the audio through the headphones and that way it won't record it. I'll test a few ideas tonight.

I am pretty verbose but I can cut down on that. As to how I almost died, I'm kind of rusty at Doom 2 and I was thinking too much about other things to pay attention. Derp goes me. *enthusiastic arm swing*.

All of this feedback has been very useful. It's given me the ability to look at my video ideas from a different angle so that I can make things more appealing to a wider audience.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013
You can indeed multiquote - press the quote button when writing your reply to add that particular post to whatever you're currently writing.
Alternatively, copy-paste it and manually add the quote tags. There's no need to double-post.

Edit: VV If that wasn't clear enough I meant what Yapping Eevee said, where you go below "Submit Reply/Preview Reply" to the 'latest posts' section and press the quote button on those posts there. Not very good when what you wanted was 50 pages ago or on a different thread, but you can just press quote there and copy the reply anyway.

Meirlkor fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 25, 2013

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

valkhorn posted:

I wish I could multiquote, because I hate double posting
You totally can. To add the subsequent ones, just click on the quote buttons down below Submit/Preview Reply. :eng101:

On a more topical note, it's always nice to see people in the Sandcastle accepting advice. :allears: Best of luck finding a format and style that works for you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Meirlkor posted:

You can indeed multiquote - press the quote button when writing your reply to add that particular post to whatever you're currently writing.

What.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Yapping Eevee posted:

You totally can. To add the subsequent ones, just click on the quote buttons down below Submit/Preview Reply. :eng101:

On a more topical note, it's always nice to see people in the Sandcastle accepting advice. :allears: Best of luck finding a format and style that works for you.

Holy poo poo you can. Thank you Yapping Eevee for pointing out a feature that I thought was missing from these forums. Holy poo poo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Holy poo poo you can. Thank you Yapping Eevee for pointing out a feature that I thought was missing from these forums. Holy poo poo.

So, did you already know about Ctrl + B/S/I/U respectively bolding/striking/italicizing/underlining your last or highlighted word?

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire

tiistai posted:

Italics usually work nicely for comments. Allows you to leave bold for emphasis.

Good thinking! I'll do that, thanks!

I found a program called GIF Movie Gear in the opening post of the tech support thread, and it could wipe out the redundant frames in the animation automatically. So i've ran a couple of GIFs through it to see how it goes. Looks ok on my computer, but trying a different web browser, the larger ones look a bit sluggish even though i've been able to dramatically reduce the frame count. The smaller GIFs look ok in every browser i've tried, so second opinions please? The second and third GIFs are the large ones.
http://imgur.com/a/i3qm1
For those large GIFs, i'll probably find another way to present them, or manually edit frames, if everyone's seeing things the same way I am.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ok Amazing posted:

Good thinking! I'll do that, thanks!

I found a program called GIF Movie Gear in the opening post of the tech support thread, and it could wipe out the redundant frames in the animation automatically. So i've ran a couple of GIFs through it to see how it goes. Looks ok on my computer, but trying a different web browser, the larger ones look a bit sluggish even though i've been able to dramatically reduce the frame count. The smaller GIFs look ok in every browser i've tried, so second opinions please? The second and third GIFs are the large ones.
http://imgur.com/a/i3qm1
For those large GIFs, i'll probably find another way to present them, or manually edit frames, if everyone's seeing things the same way I am.
While those seem to play at a 'correct' speed (or a bit fast in some cases), they seem like they're suffering some quality loss overall in comparison to your screenshots you showed earlier. Might just be my eyes though.

Also, the program that's going around the PYF gif thread now is Gifcam and it seems to work pretty well for me for the most part, and is actually pretty easy to use overall. There's also a goon modified version (gooncam) that will allow to edit individual frames better.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 25, 2013

batebro
Sep 24, 2012

:smugbert:

Hey guys - my friends and I (operating under the ill-advised name "The Soda Pop Boys") are considering starting an LP for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. We'd love your input on our first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEb6xI_Oodo

What is The Witcher 2?
Stolen from Wikipedia:

quote:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Polish title: Wiedźmin 2: Zabójcy Królów) is an action role-playing hack and slash video game developed by Polish studio CD Projekt RED for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and OS X. It is a sequel to the 2007 video game The Witcher, and was released internationally on May 17, 2011, for Microsoft Windows and on April 17, 2012, for Xbox 360. Like its predecessor, the game is based on the book series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The game has been a critical and commercial success selling more than 1.7 million units for the PC and Xbox 360 as of May 2012.

Translation: It's an action-RPG with a pretty deep combat and item system that largely focuses on cinematic storytelling. It is probably one of the best Western RPGs to be made in the last 10 years.

Why LP the Witcher 2?
  • Because it's a freaking awesome game with an interesting story and beautiful graphics. In many respects, The Witcher series is the game equivalent of shows like Game of Thrones, The Tudors, The Borgias, and the like - it's violent, sex-filled, and generally an "adult" story.
  • Despite (1), the game is ridiculously idiosyncratic - there are a lot of features to the game (the largely unexplained magic mechanics, the way the fights work, etc.) that make it unapproachable to the average gamer. By focusing on the story and avoiding some of the weirder gameplay quirks in our recording, our LP puts the best side of The Witcher 2 forward.
  • The game is also remarkably beautiful at its highest settings, but very difficult to record at those settings, meaning that (to my knowledge, anyway) it's a fairly under-LPed game. Our LP runs the game at the highest settings possible in 720p (including ubersampling, the ultra-cool but ultra-taxing video feature in the game), so you get to see the game at its absolute best. This includes, of course, lots of work on our commentary audio, audio ducking, etc etc.

Our Plans with the LP Thread (if you guys don't hate the idea):
  • Goon input into the direction of the story. Because The Witcher 2 branches off into numerous paths, we'd want to hold polls (ideally set up in a way to give goons an informed choice without spoiling the rest of the story) to let goons decide what we should do.
  • Story synopses. Because the story is somewhat convoluted at times (and because we spend an inordinate amount of the LP laughing like goddamn hyenas at our own bad jokes), we'll try to provide quick synopses of the story in each post (spoiler tagged, of course) to keep the direction of the story clear.
  • Semi-regular video releases. Because this is something of a time-consuming project (given that this LP is being done by a group of 7 people who will jump in and out at different points, in addition to the time-consuming nature of HD recording/encoding/etc), we'd probably aim for a 30 minute episode a week (or more!).

Thanks for taking a look at this - I know the video's kinda long, but we'd all really love any comments you guys have.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Brainamp posted:

Just saying, but that's a pretty terrible title.

As for this, just link lps of the previous games or something and let people talk about them in relation to this one as they want. And there is only one story DLC between 1 and 2, Minerva's den. Speaking of which, I should probably get that thread up at some point.

And this is just a personal preference, but having an op that explains jack and poo poo about the game annoys the gently caress out of me.

Yeah, noted. I'm actually working on a different OP and have been making character bios. And yes, I asked for title suggestions for a reason!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

Something might have gone wrong in the encoding or something then because the subtitles only were on screen for like 2 seconds at the most, although even if you can fix this, I would personally have the subtitles be on for 5-6 seconds per sentence.

Also, if you're worried about mic quality, there's no shame in waiting a while until you have the money scrounged up for a better one.

Upon further examinination, I've noticed that a lot of the subtitles are actually only two to two-and-a-half seconds at most. Not to worry. I'll go through with trimming up the .srt file. And save up for some microphone.

• Locked thread