Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Question about Tinker's Construct. Just curious, since I haven't played with the advanced tools yet- are the plates essentially the same as like, bindings and such mechanics-wise?

Like, I'm planning on making a hammer. I'll make a steel hammer head, and a green slime crystal handle. But when picking a material for the plates, does it affect durability, or is it just a chance to insert an additional modifier, like with tool bindings/sword guards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
They do effect durability, but if you have thaumcraft installed also you can use thaumium in place of paper for the same effect but much better durability.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Danith posted:

TFC server stuff - this is going to be harder then I initially thought. None of the MC launchers are updated for 1.6.2 so I have to do everything manually so I probably won't get it up and running today like I thought I would :(

edit: holy gently caress, I'm about to give up.. The new Minecraft launcher keeps crashing over and over again

What's it saying when it crashes? Setting 1.6 up for mods isn't that difficult. Especially since forge is releasing self-installing jars now.

RmansRvnge
Dec 10, 2000
Has anyone successfully used MFR2's unifier to convert immibis' liquid XP into mob essence? Reading TileEntityUnifier.java, it seems like it should be able to, but it will not accept either liquid being pumped in. Biofuel and ethanol however work exactly as expected. Is this a bug or am I missing something important? This is on MFR 2.6.4 and LXP 55.1.5 for MC 1.5.2

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

RmansRvnge posted:

Has anyone successfully used MFR2's unifier to convert immibis' liquid XP into mob essence? Reading TileEntityUnifier.java, it seems like it should be able to, but it will not accept either liquid being pumped in. Biofuel and ethanol however work exactly as expected. Is this a bug or am I missing something important? This is on MFR 2.6.4 and LXP 55.1.5 for MC 1.5.2

I believe it's not yet completely implemented until they finish implementing the grinder overhaul, so you won't be able to double-dip LXP and essence.

Edit: Also the updates on the github are probably not in a proper release yet.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The gently caress did I do and how do I undo it

I've been madly mashing my keyboard and nothing works

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The gently caress did I do and how do I undo it

I've been madly mashing my keyboard and nothing works

I think this may be NEIs inventory search function. Try double clicking the search bar.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

After watching some more Sky Den LPs, with people now getting towards the endgame, I wonder what the gently caress we were thinking when we decided it would be a good idea to throw Thaumcraft in there as a necessity. Especially near the end. It's a goddamn brick wall even if you have experience with it, and if you don't it's a brick wall you can't figure out. It totally destroys the pace of the map, maybe even moreso than the infamous cactus and sugarcane.

While I found the TC research tedious after the first time playing it, it wasn't so bad in sky den because I didn't need to research everything and there are cheatsheets around now so it is relatively easy to know both what aspects you need for a particular research as well as what the easiest source of that aspect is. Still, I won't miss thaumcraft if you leave it out of sea den.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Your Lottery posted:

While I found the TC research tedious after the first time playing it, it wasn't so bad in sky den because I didn't need to research everything and there are cheatsheets around now so it is relatively easy to know both what aspects you need for a particular research as well as what the easiest source of that aspect is. Still, I won't miss thaumcraft if you leave it out of sea den.

Please for the love of god link these cheatsheets.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pidmon posted:

http://bit.ly/RCYH57

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Ok I got TerraFirmaCraft install instructions made and a server up. Thread in PGS

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Pidmon posted:

I use this one: http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Research (expand the spoiler link).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Your Lottery posted:

I use this one: http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Research (expand the spoiler link).

You're ruining the wonder :argh:

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Rutibex posted:

You're ruining the wonder :argh:

those who want the grind(ie: mostly first time players) will likely avoid the link, those who have already done it once, or don't have the time and just want to enjoy said wonder, will click it and everyone will still be happy. I for one appreciate the cheat sheets for my second(and onwards) time through :)

Makaris
May 4, 2009
with Modular Powersuits, is there a special thing you have to do to install customization stuff? I've got installing things down pat at this point but for whatever reason customization options are not available at the tinker table.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

thevortex- posted:

those who want the grind(ie: mostly first time players) will likely avoid the link, those who have already done it once, or don't have the time and just want to enjoy said wonder, will click it and everyone will still be happy. I for one appreciate the cheat sheets for my second(and onwards) time through :)

That's exactly my feeling. I have a lot of the research semi-memorized anyway, but I've gone through it all somewhere like five or six times now, and I really don't feel like trying to relearn it all each time. Heck, my next world (as long as it's not TC3.1/4) I may just get the Creative Cheat Sheet book and skip the research grind entirely.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Makaris posted:

with Modular Powersuits, is there a special thing you have to do to install customization stuff? I've got installing things down pat at this point but for whatever reason customization options are not available at the tinker table.

You don't have to install them anymore; by default L brings up a menu.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rutibex posted:

I think this may be NEIs inventory search function. Try double clicking the search bar.

Tried that. Did nothing.
Some of the ui features become visible if I type in it, but only for certain letters and strings, others do nothing.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Can Rock Crushers output to pipes? I've got a literally endless supply of gravel and I want to have it crush 24/7 in the hopes of getting some extra diamonds and gold, but it's filling up pretty fast and I can't seem to find a combination of pipes and chest that'll make it spit out the results.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Nastyman posted:

Can Rock Crushers output to pipes? I've got a literally endless supply of gravel and I want to have it crush 24/7 in the hopes of getting some extra diamonds and gold, but it's filling up pretty fast and I can't seem to find a combination of pipes and chest that'll make it spit out the results.

By what I looked up, a wooden pipe with a redstone signal (constant or pulsed) from one of the sides should do it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nastyman posted:

Seems to work with AE buses as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Tried that. Did nothing.
Some of the ui features become visible if I type in it, but only for certain letters and strings, others do nothing.

Hmm, I donno what it could be. Try going into your "saves" folder and deleting NEI.dat and the NEI folder to reset it to default.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Sage Grimm posted:

By what I looked up, a wooden pipe with a redstone signal (constant or pulsed) from one of the sides should do it.

That worked, except I had to hook up a redstone engine to the pipes as well. :dance:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So it seems that IC2 is finally undergoing some semi-significant changes for 1.6! With as little information there is (for example, I don't think GregTech is on the server but it might be) it's hard to say for sure, but I get the feeling that they're kinda going in the wrong way here and shooting themselves in the foot after already being knocked down by Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics and Modular Power Suits.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Onean posted:

So it seems that IC2 is finally undergoing some semi-significant changes for 1.6! With as little information there is (for example, I don't think GregTech is on the server but it might be) it's hard to say for sure, but I get the feeling that they're kinda going in the wrong way here and shooting themselves in the foot after already being knocked down by Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics and Modular Power Suits.

I like how their solution for IC2 becoming pretty much irrelevant is to add more bullshit intermediate crafting steps with tools that break frequently.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've jumped back into Minecraft and I'm using the Toast pack, which has most of the cool mods I like, and I'm fooling around with Modular Powersuits. I've built a full set of armor, slotted in armor and batteries and charged it, but I'm not seeing any armor indicator on my screen. Is this normal? I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I'm just curious.

Also, is there some way to automate the process of pouring metal from a drain into a casting basin and then pulling it out into a chest. I tried Buildcraft wooden pipes, but it didn't seem to work. I tend to melt a lot of stuff at once and even with three basins it can take a while, not to mention being tedious.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
The default value of armor modules installed is 0, no matter what type of armor. I think this because 2 types of armor modules have weight, and you can overburden the armor. Did you adjust the slider values for the armor modules using the power suit table?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Serf posted:

I've jumped back into Minecraft and I'm using the Toast pack, which has most of the cool mods I like, and I'm fooling around with Modular Powersuits. I've built a full set of armor, slotted in armor and batteries and charged it, but I'm not seeing any armor indicator on my screen. Is this normal? I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I'm just curious.

Also, is there some way to automate the process of pouring metal from a drain into a casting basin and then pulling it out into a chest. I tried Buildcraft wooden pipes, but it didn't seem to work. I tend to melt a lot of stuff at once and even with three basins it can take a while, not to mention being tedious.

MPS, if you've added the actual armor modules, should show the armor indicator. If its not, something is wrong somewhere. Smeltery drains need a timer to run them - each redstone pulse only dispenses a single ingot's worth of liquid. If you have MFR, rednet cables and controllers can manage that pretty easily. As far as I know, only vanilla hoppers pull from the basins properly, but they will do the job.

Edit: redstone, not redefine. S'what I get for using a mobile device...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

I like how their solution for IC2 becoming pretty much irrelevant is to add more bullshit intermediate crafting steps with tools that break frequently.

My thoughts exactly when I saw those "Refined Iron Plates" and "Wire Cutters". One more reason not to use IC2.

Taking a mod that's fun and adding more crafting steps/power requirements/resources requirements is not fun. In fact it is the opposite of fun! Where did this dumb idea come from? It seems like after a certan point most mods become "feature complete" (usually shortly after it's first release) then each update is an exercise in making whatever neat thing it did more tedious. The mod author forgets how to add new features; opting instead for endless nerfs until a clone mod comes out that duplicates the original mods functionality.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Uh you guys know Gregorius is one of the only remaining contributors to IC2 these days right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if those were his ideas.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

wylker posted:

Uh you guys know Gregorius is one of the only remaining contributors to IC2 these days right? I wouldn't be surprised at all if those were his ideas.

All of the wacky new GT-like stuff is actually coming from Player rather than Greg as far as I know. Greg has mostly contributed bugfixes to ic2exp.

In related news, GT itself has actually started implementing a fairly interesting early game. The annoying tool recipes and such are still there, but he has started rolling out a series of early-game machines to provide a sort of tech progression other than massing materials until you can finally make the nice industrial stuff. They're largely made out of bronze and consume steam from railcraft or GT boilers to accomplish various tasks. There's also a bronze-coated brick blast furnace so that you can make steel without the horribly awkward issue of either needing steel to get access to the materials for a railcraft blast furnace or dealing with the horrendous power consumption of the GT one.

I find steam power really cool and it's nice to see GT adding some things to make life easier rather than just more grind. It's too bad that he implemented the new tool recipes and such before he made it more reasonable to get them with the cool bronze machines, as it seems to have turned most people (even those that haven't played it) off of GT entirely. I decided to take the plunge on GT a month or so ago despite the overwhelming community hate, and it's actually been pretty alright. The early game sucked obviously but I was playing it before the bronze machines were added. The cool multiblock machines have been pretty entertaining (and challenging to automate in a way that I find interesting) while the rest of the annoyances (like the plates) were quickly abstracted behind AE interfaces. The only part of GT that continues to be annoying past mid-game are the horrible MFR recipes that power crystals came up with for his GT config. A few plates in a GT machine isn't a big deal, piles of iridium and titanium in every MFR machine is a hell of a lot worse. All in all, it's been worth it for the new machines and various processing systems because I find them interesting to work into automated systems and the poo poo that people complain about isn't even an issue once you have a couple machines. I don't play all that much in any given day, but I've easily been climbing the GT tech tree.

Sorry that quickly devolved into a wall of text, I just wanted to provide a different viewpoint on GT because the widespread hate for it is a little ridiculous at this point.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 26, 2013

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fruit Chewy posted:

All of the wacky new GT-like stuff is actually coming from Player rather than Greg as far as I know. Greg has mostly contributed bugfixes to ic2exp.

The likelihood of a mod being nerfed with a new Minecraft version seems to be directly proportional to the mod authors proximity to Forgecraft/Direwolf20/FtB. It's also much more likely in mods with restrictive licenses for some reason. My theory is that easy nerfs allow forgecraft mods to change just enough that they can get another mod review out of Direwolf20 with little effort. Also the fact that Minecraft version update force people to upgrade rather than use older versions.

If I could use the 1.2.5 version of a lot of tech mods I likely would. Instead I just do without, or use newer mods that have similar functionality that haven't had time for "refinement"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks for the help on the MPS stuff, guys, it's all working well now.

Another question: Is there any way to get RedNet cables to play nice with microblocks so I can hide cable networks in my walls? Whenever I try, they end up sticking out on the sides and you can really tell where the cables are.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a texture pack that works with all the things in Tekkit?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serf posted:

Thanks for the help on the MPS stuff, guys, it's all working well now.

Another question: Is there any way to get RedNet cables to play nice with microblocks so I can hide cable networks in my walls? Whenever I try, they end up sticking out on the sides and you can really tell where the cables are.

You can force rednet cable into "cable connection only" mode by right clicking on the CENTER of the rednet cable block until you get it.

Also, does anyone know how I am supposed to do bug report etc. for Toast Modpack?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Also, is industrial craft in Tekkit? I cannot find it on the modlist for Tekkit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a texture pack that works with all the things in Tekkit?

Sphax is the general go-to mod pack for mod support. There's a version for Tekkit here:
http://bdcraft.net/forum/64x-tekkit-patch

goodness posted:

Also, is industrial craft in Tekkit? I cannot find it on the modlist for Tekkit.

It's not. Tekkit has "gone legit" and the IC2 people are butts. You can use Thermal Expansion machines instead; they are way better anyway:
http://thermalexpansion.wikispaces.com/

Serf
May 5, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

You can force rednet cable into "cable connection only" mode by right clicking on the CENTER of the rednet cable block until you get it.

Also, does anyone know how I am supposed to do bug report etc. for Toast Modpack?

This is what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm an idiot and not understanding you, but it seems like no matter what I do, I can't get the covers to stay within the boundaries of a normal block. I can place them against a RedNet cable, but they stick out where I do and it is very noticeable. Switching the modes of the cable seems to have no effect on this.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Sphax is the general go-to mod pack for mod support. There's a version for Tekkit here:
http://bdcraft.net/forum/64x-tekkit-patch

It says to use Optifine for 1.5.1 but Tekkit is on 1.5.2 now. Should I get the Optifine for 1.5.2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

It says to use Optifine for 1.5.1 but Tekkit is on 1.5.2 now. Should I get the Optifine for 1.5.2?

I'm not entirely sure, I don't use texture packs and defiantly not high res ones. I would get the 1.5.2 version, but make a backup in case you really do need the version for 1.5.1.

• Locked thread