Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

At this point NJPW be considered the #2 wrestling promotion, world-wide at least? If not I can't imagine it being too far-behind from TNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It's clearly #2 in the entire world, closer to WWE than it is to TNA.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NienNunb posted:

At this point NJPW be considered the #2 wrestling promotion, world-wide at least? If not I can't imagine it being too far-behind from TNA.

Without a doubt. TNA are a far #3, just because they're more well-known than any others.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

New Japan has had more fans buy tickets to a single show than TNA has had for all their PPVs combined this year

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

Skinty McEdger posted:

The real answer is that it's all she has. She's never going to be given a position of real power or responsibility in her parents firm, and her PR company was a pretty significant failure propped up by Panda money. In TNA she has power and influence in her own little realm, has name recognition with a group of people she absolutely despises and even got had the opportunity to force herself into a hearing with congress (who didn't even want her there).

If she didn't have TNA what would she do?

Slink back into the bowels of hell from whence she came? :rimshot:

No but seriously this point is a pretty good point and I agree.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

New Japan has been #2 in the world ever since NOAH fell apart in 2006. NJPW's closest competition for the #2 slot is from AAA. TNA is a solid #4 because every non NJPW puro promotion is falling apart and CMLL is only propped up by the fact they own their venues. I don't think you can make an argument TNA has ever been the #2 promotion on a worldwide basis.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I just realized why all this time I thought I knew who Dixie Carter was before she took over TNA; I was confusing her with the actress from Designing Women.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

New Japan has been #2 in the world ever since NOAH fell apart in 2006. NJPW's closest competition for the #2 slot is from AAA. TNA is a solid #4 because every non NJPW puro promotion is falling apart and CMLL is only propped up by the fact they own their venues. I don't think you can make an argument TNA has ever been the #2 promotion on a worldwide basis.

I'd argue Dragon Gate over TNA for #4. It's not a large company by any means but it still sells out Korauken every month and has about 6 shows of 9,000+ sold each year. Definitely the #2 in Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'd argue Dragon Gate over TNA for #4. It's not a large company by any means but it still sells out Korauken every month and has about 6 shows of 9,000+ sold each year. Definitely the #2 in Japan.

TNA is drawing around 2,000 for each TV taping, plus their house shows and PPVs. They aren't peaking at 9K, but I think they do more at the gate and more on PPV than DG. Plus they have an international reach.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

Is there a reason that Bray Wyatt's finisher is called Sister Abigail?

A quick search only turns up the movie "Orphan" and something from cold case. I was hoping it was biblical but that only resulted in sections from that bullshit "X begat Y" filler section.

This question is from a while ago, but WWE didn't post this video until yesterday:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/bray-wyatt-tells-the-tale-of-sister-abigail-26143801

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Has TNA ever generated a profit for any fiscal year? I'd love to see how much money the company has lost over its entire history.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Has TNA ever generated a profit for any fiscal year? I'd love to see how much money the company has lost over its entire history.

Dave heard from a friend of Bob Carter's that they had lost 45 million as of a few years ago so I imagine the number is now way over 60 million. As for a profit, Dixie swears they did in like 2008 but I doubt it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Wow. TNA has been incompetent dogshit for over a decade and still hasn't lost as much money as WCW managed to lose in a single year. 2000 WCW deserves a monument to its amazing achievement.

I wish WWE was still into the "Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" type of DVD releases, because once they inevitably buy the video library a "Worst of TNA" set sounds far more interesting to me than a "Best of TNA" set, which would just be a single DVD containing the original AJ/Daniels/Samoa Joe match and the segment with the masturbating midget.

Tato fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 24, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Wow. TNA has been incompetent dogshit for over a decade and still hasn't lost as much money as WCW managed to lose in a single year. 2000 WCW deserves a monument to its amazing achievement.

I wish WWE was still into the "Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" type of DVD releases, because once they inevitably buy the video library a "Worst of TNA" set sounds far more interesting to me than a "Best of TNA" set, which would just be a single DVD containing the original AJ/Daniels/Samoa Joe match and the segment with the masturbating midget.

WCW's 2000 losses at least can be understood. If you take a look at the buyrate lists that were compiled in the WCW thread you get a rough idea of how fast WCW's income crashed. They were spending at the same level they were in 1998 when they made a record profit, but in the spring of 1999 their buyrates and house show gates vanished. Then in the fall of 99 Russo got Nitro scaled back to two hours and another chunk of money vanished.

By 2001 they were done. TNA just keeps dragging on losing money... I can't understand it other than inertia.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

This question is from a while ago, but WWE didn't post this video until yesterday:

Holy poo poo the Bray Wyatt character KEEPS GETTING CREEPIER :stonk:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whether you like Wyatt or not, you have to credit Windham Rotunda, the performer, on being so ridiculously INTO that character and selling the poo poo out of every facet of it. Even if he didn't wrestle, dude can act.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Bard Maddox posted:

I wish they would show this stuff on TV. I was super hyped for the debut of the Wyatt Family since I first saw them on NXT (hence the avatar). I'm a big fan of horror movies and creepy gimmicks in wrestling, but I've been disappointed in the Wyatts since they first appeared on Raw. All they've done are a few beat downs on Kane and generic "I"m the eater of worlds!" promos.

If they would show promos like this and have Bray give more explanation and depth to his character it would be a lot more engaging.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
With the talk of the #3 and lower worldwide promotions, what's going on with All Japan that it isn't even in consideration?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They've been struggling for a long time and their new owner who complains about "fixed results", wants his guys to to MMA (this poo poo was disastrous for NJPW last decade), and is now booking himself to wrestle later this month without any experience or training doesn't seem to helping things.

Keiji Mutoh lost a power struggle a few months ago with the new ownership and with a significant portion of their roster left to form a new promotion named Wrestle-1 which further hurt their roster depth and split their fanbase. Now they seem to be drawing even less then NOAH from reading the Observer results.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 24, 2013

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

This is a vast improvement on his previous promos I've seen. It tells a mostly coherent story that you can follow and explains quite a bit about his character - and even about his finisher, a thing he actually does! Far better than his other rambling scripts, which could possibly have been more useful if anyone else took the time to actually deconstruct and/or confront them on the air.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Time for a little goon detective work.

OSWReview have been trying to track down Hogan's mystery belt, at the top of this picture. No-one seems to be able to identify which belt it is. The ones below are the ones we KNEW he wore.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

drat, I had no idea they went through so many different belts in the '80s before sticking with the Winged Eagle for so long.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Basically pretend that the Carters are the Corleones and Dixie is Fredo.

"We don't want you involved in the important poo poo that actually brings in money because, well, you're kinda stupid, so here's something to keep you busy."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Karmine posted:

Basically pretend that the Carters are the Corleones and Dixie is Fredo.

"We don't want you involved in the important poo poo that actually brings in money because, well, you're kinda stupid, so here's something to keep you busy."

When are the Carter's going to send Dixie out fishing?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always wondered, why is it called the "Winged Eagle" belt? Isn't that redundant? Eagles already have wings, and other belt designs with eagles on them also have wings, albeit less prominent ones. It's like calling the Divas title the Winged Butterfly belt.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

sticklefifer posted:

I've always wondered, why is it called the "Winged Eagle" belt? Isn't that redundant? Eagles already have wings, and other belt designs with eagles on them also have wings, albeit less prominent ones. It's like calling the Divas title the Winged Butterfly belt.

The wings are such a prominent feature of the belt they have to be part of the name. If the faceplate was flat/less textured it'd probably be called the Eagle Belt.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sticklefifer posted:

I always figured that since the wings are so prominent and actually stick out from the belt then you can say that the belt itself is winged. It's a winged belt, an eagle belt, and so a winged eagle belt

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

It's because the wings are prominent and spread. It would be more technically accurate to call it the Spread Eagle belt but we don't want to do that.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

We should be calling the Divas title the Demeaning Pink Butterfly Belt.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The design of the Divas belt is a goddamn abomination.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

That "86 belt" was used for more than one year. I do know for a fact it Hogan wore it to the ring during WM3 which was in 1987. I don't remember when the switch to the Winged Eagle belt took place. A part of me wants to say it was during the duel Hebner screw job angle, though I could be wrong.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
You're quite right. It made it's debut February 5th, 1988 but wasn't really worn until Randy Savage won it at WrestleMania 4.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Thauros posted:

They've been struggling for a long time and their new owner who complains about "fixed results", wants his guys to to MMA (this poo poo was disastrous for NJPW last decade), and is now booking himself to wrestle later this month without any experience or training doesn't seem to helping things.

Keiji Mutoh lost a power struggle a few months ago with the new ownership and with a significant portion of their roster left to form a new promotion named Wrestle-1 which further hurt their roster depth and split their fanbase. Now they seem to be drawing even less then NOAH from reading the Observer results.
I'd dare suggest that AJPW never really recovered from the "NOAH split" where AJPW lost everyone that wasn't a gaijin, Masanobu Fuchi or Toshiaki Kawada in 2000, and from what I hear Keiji Mutou's early-2000s booking of the company cemented their "never going to be #1" status, so they've been just going along until the recent buy-out and the new owner.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bubba Grace posted:

That "86 belt" was used for more than one year. I do know for a fact it Hogan wore it to the ring during WM3 which was in 1987. I don't remember when the switch to the Winged Eagle belt took place. A part of me wants to say it was during the duel Hebner screw job angle, though I could be wrong.

yep it was exactly that night.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I saw this mentioned in the carnies thread, but there didn't seem to be an explanation for it so I thought I'd ask here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrxfiy_jerry-lawler-ted-dibiase-maryse-and-michael-cole-segment-raw-1-31-2011_sport&start=282

Lawler straight up jacks DiBiase the Deuce during a segment with Maurice Maryse. Does anyone know if there was a story behind it, or was it just a botch?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

titties posted:

I saw this mentioned in the carnies thread, but there didn't seem to be an explanation for it so I thought I'd ask here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrxfiy_jerry-lawler-ted-dibiase-maryse-and-michael-cole-segment-raw-1-31-2011_sport&start=282

Lawler straight up jacks DiBiase the Deuce during a segment with Maurice Maryse. Does anyone know if there was a story behind it, or was it just a botch?

Lawler is the king of punches, and even he couldn't make that punch look legit. It doesn't even look like it touched him.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sir Jebus posted:

... he couldn't make that punch look legit. It doesn't even look like it touched him.

I disagree, it looks like it touched him to me.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Sir Jebus posted:

Lawler is the king of punches, and even he couldn't make that punch look legit. It doesn't even look like it touched him.

He nailed the poo poo out of ted. That punch was beautiful.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who threw the cans of booze at Stone Cold?
I've always wondered how they managed to be so accurate with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
His name escapes me at the moment, but I'm certain Austin was asked this on his podcast and he said it was the timekeeper.