Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Well, there goes my entire army and given how lovely Arabia's population is I doubt I'll ever raise another one.

At least I can take comfort in knowing that the Germans will tell tale of the Last Stand of the Arabs forever.

EDIT: I didn't think I'd have to worry about German troops showing up in this war due to my glorious ally Britain.

How did you assholes lose the entire Royal Navy?

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In my experience, the royal navy is mostly frigates and manowars with with a few actually modern ships thrown in. So when battleships show up, the royal navy is pretty much a paper tiger.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Patter Song posted:

Well, there goes my entire army and given how lovely Arabia's population is I doubt I'll ever raise another one.

At least I can take comfort in knowing that the Germans will tell tale of the Last Stand of the Arabs forever.

EDIT: I didn't think I'd have to worry about German troops showing up in this war due to my glorious ally Britain.

Ah, rule one of Victoria 2: Britain ain't poo poo unless you're fighting her.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ah, rule one of Victoria 2: Britain ain't poo poo unless you're fighting her.

I remember taking control over London and defeating the British as the Papal states with 5 regiments and 5 transports. :britain:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Strongest power should be coalition leader but what it also needs is a completely redesigned peace system. No more "I have X Warscore and I get to claim this, this and this!" when there are more than two people involved in a war, but something that would allow for all participants to get involved. I proposed something a couple weeks back and it doesn't go into much detail but after playing a LOT of EU4, I still think the peace system needs a radical change and something along those lines could be a good direction to go in.

Yeah, it definitely needs a rework. It makes so little sense to me that I can declare a war in India, occupy every Indian opponent to 100%, but can't get more than two provinces out of the deal, because Spain is the coalition leader, and realistically the most warscore I can ever get is ~45%. 20 from battles, 20 from occupation of the war goal, and around 5 for other occupations and blockades. There's no way to make that number go up short of invading all of Spain, which even if I could do, would take so long that the increased War Exhaustion thing kicks in.

Maybe just letting you negotiate with any junior partner who you have 100% occupied would work. It would apply nicely in my case anyway.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

You can't have been massively surprised when the British decided to prioritise oppressing the Irish above everything up to and including self-preservation. What's more amazing is the Germans seeing the Great Britain entirely undefended and deciding to go after the Isle of Man. The Paradox AI seems to be strangely obsessed with the place, when I played as Britain in MotE the French sacrificed all of their transports making suicide runs against the place despite it having no obvious strategic or economic value whatsoever.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey everyone, crossposting this to both threads so it gets some more people throwing things at me.

You've probably noticed by now that I'm making a mod for EU4 about internet sites and other assorted wonders. Involving us of course, and plenty of other stuff as well. Problem is I'm only so creative and knowledgeable about the internet. I can read wikipedia and other references for some history, but it's never going to be perfect.

So I come to you goons, know of a site that should be represented? An event for one that's in or should be? Maybe some ideas for the japan equivalent (reddit), the HRE equivalent (tumblr), or the large war between Google+ and Facebook with a tiny dying myspace in the middle. Maybe just some unit names, maybe some buildings, maybe some ideas for internet based trade goods.

I'll take whatever comes in, just please don't spam :ohdear:, or else it only makes it less likely these ideas will go in.

In the mean time, map work, it's boring but necessary. thankfully Autohotkey has automated a fair amount of it for me. Chances are when I finish I'll refine and post the script for anyone who wants to make new maps.

Email all suggestions for the above to modsuggest@origintech.ca

Thanks goons!

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Hey guys, I've got a spare copy of Crusader Kings II from pre-ordering EUIV that needs a home. The first one to correctly answer these geography/history questions and posts their Steam id along with it gets it.

1. What continent is Barbados on?

2. Name a country that fought for the Axis in World War II other than Germany, Italy, or Japan.

3. Name one of the republics that constituted the Soviet Union other than Russia or Ukraine.

4. True or false: Italy lost territory to France after World War II.

5. Who was driving the car that ran over "Stone Cold" Steve Austin at Survivor Series?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

Hey guys, I've got a spare copy of Crusader Kings II from pre-ordering EUIV that needs a home. The first one to correctly answer these geography/history questions and posts their Steam id along with it gets it.

1. What continent is Barbados on?

2. Name a country that fought for the Axis in World War II other than Germany, Italy, or Japan.

3. Name one of the republics that constituted the Soviet Union other than Russia or Ukraine.

4. True or false: Italy lost territory to France after World War II.

5. Who was driving the car that ran over "Stone Cold" Steve Austin at Survivor Series?

1. South America by association, it's a Caribbean Island.

2. Croatia

3. Belarus or Estonia are two I remember

4. True, La Brigue

5. ? (Looked it up, it's Rikishi, but the gently caress is all that about. Goddamn wrestling.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/stealtharcher

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Crameltonian posted:

You can't have been massively surprised when the British decided to prioritise oppressing the Irish above everything up to and including self-preservation. What's more amazing is the Germans seeing the Great Britain entirely undefended and deciding to go after the Isle of Man. The Paradox AI seems to be strangely obsessed with the place, when I played as Britain in MotE the French sacrificed all of their transports making suicide runs against the place despite it having no obvious strategic or economic value whatsoever.

Everyone wants to move their Capital there so they can be the Emperor of Mann, the end-goal of any grand strategy game.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So as I've been working on the map, I've also been having off and on chats in the irc on various crpa ot put in the mod. Wanted to bounce the wording for this national idea for Myspace off of everyone, see if I've held up since the Tumblr reforms.

code:
Facebook Delenda Est

*Our downfall was not one of time progressing on it's normal track and the rise of improvement displacing the antiquity of old. 
Nay, but it was treachery and theft, and truly the most underhanded of schemes that has brought us to this state. 
Our great users have stuck with us through thick and thin and it is time to bring them what they have earned by right. 
We shall reconquer and make our great social experiment what it was always meant to be, 
and we shall do the world a service by removing it's most treacherous adversary to a prosperous future in the process!

Myspace gains claim on 6-7 FAB provinces, core on capital of FAB
+0.15 discipline
+2 Diplomatic Reputation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

StealthArcher posted:

So as I've been working on the map, I've also been having off and on chats in the irc on various crpa ot put in the mod. Wanted to bounce the wording for this national idea for Myspace off of everyone, see if I've held up since the Tumblr reforms.

code:
Facebook Delenda Est

*Our downfall was not one of time progressing on it's normal track and the rise of improvement displacing the antiquity of old. 
Nay, but it was treachery and theft, and truly the most underhanded of schemes that has brought us to this state. 
Our great users have stuck with us through thick and thin and it is time to bring them what they have earned by right. 
We shall reconquer and make our great social experiment what it was always meant to be, 
and we shall do the world a service by removing it's most treacherous adversary to a prosperous future in the process!

Myspace gains claim on 6-7 FAB provinces, core on capital of FAB
+0.15 discipline
+2 Diplomatic Reputation

Made me laugh, and it keeps as much of the feel as you can with the material

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So, I figure some people are now watching this, I'll post some minor reports as the mod is progressing.

To start with UGH MAPS. Thankfully I seem to have finally broken a 5 year funk I've been in and am suddenly able to do programming and scripting efficiently again, and even enjoying it (where have you been all this time :saddowns:), so AutoHotKey has made doing the map a much easier process. The script keeps my colors cycling, enters them in the notepad++ file and even sets it in Gimp when I have the color select active. I suppose once I'm done and tweak it further I should release it, as holy hell doing this without that, I'd have maybe gotten 80-90 provinces done today between other things.

Instead, I got 400.

She's shaping up to be a wonderful little world. I've gotten a much larger list of nation-sites to put in from IRC and some others, now including streaming sites like Twitch, the Paradox forums, Heavengames, Facepunch and others. Also some political sites we all know and love (Final Idea - Always More Always Worse).

With that, I'm finally off to bed. If this speed continues, it shouldn't take me more then 3-4 more days to be done the entire thing.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Heavengames? Hahaha. Presumably its ideas are going to be entirely about increasing irrelevancy and having no idea how to deal with it, and then by the final idea it's all about being a sort of discussion circle for we're-not-racist-but middle aged men and their teenaged disciples.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I hope Universo Virtual is in.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Allyn posted:

This is what the "enforce peace" diplomatic option is for, though I do think the requirements should be 100 relations OR a vassal/personal union for this exact situation.

Yeah it definitely should. So I vassalize the Hansa and a few days later they get annexed by Meckleberg :stare:. loving annoying.

Really miss the CK2 system where you become hostile without declaring war when people try to take your poo poo. I'm completely sick of the AI stealing my wargoal with their 1000 man army that has no leader.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StealthArcher posted:

To start with UGH MAPS. Thankfully I seem to have finally broken a 5 year funk I've been in and am suddenly able to do programming and scripting efficiently again, and even enjoying it (where have you been all this time :saddowns:), so AutoHotKey has made doing the map a much easier process. The script keeps my colors cycling, enters them in the notepad++ file and even sets it in Gimp when I have the color select active. I suppose once I'm done and tweak it further I should release it, as holy hell doing this without that, I'd have maybe gotten 80-90 provinces done today between other things.
I'm planning to eventually make a total conversion of the game map (after fiddling with the features in the base game), so that would be a real time saver. Sure, I can get a rhythm going by just looking in the definitions file, but this sounds so much better. I would really appreciate you tweaking and releasing this tool to the unwashed masses.

mmkay posted:

I hope Universo Virtual is in.
Universo Virtual has a claims on all Paradox provinces, but every coastal province they own has their trade, production and tax income reduced by 90%.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I think I've found the worst CSA borders.

Oh God, put that thing in the NSFW spoiler. Some of us having had our dinners yet

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

I think I've found the worst CSA borders.

Still better than that time Jerusalem decided to take the middle of England my first game of CKII.

They didn't even have the decency to actually hold Jerusalem proper.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Why is it that England is always getting screwed one way or another when left to its own devices? In my EUIII game, the Papal state somehow took control of half of England with Northshire or some other place taking the rest and moving out to the americas. In my current EUIV game, Scotland has control of the entire island. Is it just my luck, or is the ai for England incredibly bad?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm planning to eventually make a total conversion of the game map (after fiddling with the features in the base game), so that would be a real time saver. Sure, I can get a rhythm going by just looking in the definitions file, but this sounds so much better. I would really appreciate you tweaking and releasing this tool to the unwashed masses.

Universo Virtual has a claims on all Paradox provinces, but every coastal province they own has their trade, production and tax income reduced by 90%.

Universo Virtual should get a +50% boost to Fabricate Claims.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kheldragar posted:

Why is it that England is always getting screwed one way or another when left to its own devices? In my EUIII game, the Papal state somehow took control of half of England with Northshire or some other place taking the rest and moving out to the americas. In my current EUIV game, Scotland has control of the entire island. Is it just my luck, or is the ai for England incredibly bad?

The Hundred Years War regularly sees them up at 10+ war exhausation, which gives them 10 revolt risk in every province on top of the war naturally depleting their regiments and manpower alike. It can get brutal fast, and can screw them over for the whole game.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Universo Virtual should get a +50% boost to Fabricate Claims.

Maybe a special version they get, it's much faster and easier, but using it causes a stability drop. Not that playing as UV is going to be easy at all. (They're gonna suck on purpose is what I'm saying, because gently caress Ubik. 0-0-0 forever)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think they should also get a decision where all it says is Fear.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mmkay posted:

I think they should also get a decision where all it says is Fear.

Does it go as follows?

Pseudocode:

fear {
allow {
tag = UVO
NOT { stability = 0 }
year = 2013
}

effect = {
PDX = {
inherit = (all provs but capital)
}
add modiffier = "you_are_such_a_goddamn_idiot_ubik"
}
{

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I loved that mod, but this is brilliant.

Do the Paradox forums get to be nothing but assorted Eastern European cultures vying for attention?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

I loved that mod, but this is brilliant.

Do the Paradox forums get to be nothing but assorted Eastern European cultures vying for attention?

I expect to see Romes 1-4 which all border and have claims on each other :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

All of which who are vassals to Bulgaria. The only real country on the map.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think it goes without saying that, by virtue of being a Bulgarian state, Bulgaria has a number of bonuses, including but in no way limited to 0 attrition.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Fools, the only real country on the map is the OPM "North Korea Intranet".

EDIT: The wonderment of Sunday/Monday is I work the evening of one, and the early morning of the other. So I basically don't sleep between these shifts. So I worked on the map more, and i'm at 880 provinces finished. The north continent's stuff is gonna be more spacious (about half of what's done is 4chan's), and the stuff up there I'm not completely certain on yet.

Feel free to keep posting ideas, I can always use more.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 26, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I really hope that every single province, country, idea, monarch and advisor name will be preceded by an unnecessary hashtag.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Does anyone know how the Vicky 2 icon strips work? I'm trying to add a little tricolour for Jacobins to politics_rebel_strip.dds but it just moves the other icons around and doesn't show up. I could do this kind of thing fine with CK2 icons (with the text files to describe how many icons there are), does Vicky 2 have a hard limit of 6 rebel icons?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You have to change the number of icons scripted for the graphic in the *.gfx file that defines it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Cheers! I forgot they were text files with a funny extension

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...is there really any demand to see Iron Cross from anyone not named Wiz? I'm wondering if I should LP it in full or if I could satisfy my honor pledge to LP Iron Cross with a post or two in this thread. There's not enough to Iron Cross to fill a thread.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Definitely. I asked about Iron Cross a while ago and Gorgo Primus promply put some pictures in the OP, but I'd still be interested in an extended review kind of LP as well.

I guess I like that I can read about all the hilarity a trainwreck of a game provides without having to slog through the terrible mechanics. :v:

Magna MundiWorld Stage was quite entertaining for this reason as well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

So...is there really any demand to see Iron Cross from anyone not named Wiz? I'm wondering if I should LP it in full or if I could satisfy my honor pledge to LP Iron Cross with a post or two in this thread. There's not enough to Iron Cross to fill a thread.

No LP is fine, but I still want to see how much it sucks. Post it here!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Just post it in here. I'm curious, but a full fledged LP is probably too much.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

No LP is fine, but I still want to see how much it sucks. Post it here!

Sounds good, will put out first installment this weekend.

Oddly enough, the thing I hate most about Iron Cross is that it apparently predates F11 as the global Paradox screenshot button so I have to use FRAPS while playing, which I don't really like to do. Even World Stage kept F11 as the screenshot button and that wasn't even a Paradox game (anymore) (kind of sort of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, just do some posts in the thread. I really want to see how awful it is, but even Steppe Wolfe wears thin eventually at LP length.

• Locked thread