Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Robin Sparkles posted:

If I send an email to someone (craigslist, for example) through gmail they are added to my contacts on my android phone. How do I stop it from automatically adding these people?

I know that Gmail, by default, adds anyone you send an email to into "Other Contacts." You can turn this off under the General tab in your Gmail settings.

If you have your phone set to update contacts from Gmail, then it would add them. If that's not it, I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

lotor9530 posted:

I know that Gmail, by default, adds anyone you send an email to into "Other Contacts." You can turn this off under the General tab in your Gmail settings.

If you have your phone set to update contacts from Gmail, then it would add them. If that's not it, I have no clue.

That's what it was, thanks so much!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

I don't know if you read the linked article, but it's about historical reasons rather than current ones.

Yes, I'm talking about historically. Decades ago most of America was even whiter than it is now, with much larger swathes of the country having absolutely no blacks around. Conversely, many areas, particularly in the south, had much higher amounts of black people around. Not to mention that the page cites a 1902 quote about tips being demeaning to whites and attempts to tie that in to what was done in the 1930s. What it doesn't mention is that during the 1890s to 1920s there had been something of a movement against tipping in general, including some states attempting to ban the practice entirely during the 1910s.

Keep in mind that Sociological images is meant to be a blog that makes you think about things, it's not a site about reliable research into why things happened.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Install Windows posted:

International flights are a minority of flights, and it was especially so in the first couple decades of airlines.
So you're saying the tipping situation has been the way it is now ever since there have been passenger flights?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

In American work culture, is it normal to call people by their last name? I assume it depends on the job?

As a filthy foreigner it is always tricky to decipher which parts of American TV series are real and which are exaggerations. I ask because even in the standard cop buddy show after knowing each other for years they'll still often call each other Agent Smith or say "Smith, look here!". Where I live a first-name basis for all your coworkers and your (direct) supervisors is a lot more normal.

It's mostly limited to situations where the professionals are trying to avoid undue familiarity in order to preserve their authority. So cops, judges, doctors, coaches, and teachers like to keep things on a last name basis. An overwhelming amount of TV shows are based around those professions, compared to actual percentage of people actually working those jobs, so I can understand the confusion.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 25, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is the sticky-outy, building-part of a boat called a superstructure even if you're talking about an old wooden ship? Would you call that lip around the deck a "fence"? And is there any way to learn about pre-1900s boats and ship terminology without getting a confusing eyeful of modern types?

Namarrgon posted:

In American work culture, is it normal to call people by their last name? I assume it depends on the job?

As a filthy foreigner it is always tricky to decipher which parts of American TV series are real and which are exaggerations. I ask because even in the standard cop buddy show after knowing each other for years they'll still often call each other Agent Smith or say "Smith, look here!". Where I live a first-name basis for all your coworkers and your (direct) supervisors is a lot more normal.
With police and military in particular, your superiors would call you [Rank][Surname] or just your surname, so you're going to hear fellow cops/soldiers/whatever's surnames a lot more before you hear their first name. (I'd say it's a British thing too.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know how to properly tie a bike to a trunk/hatch mounted Hollywood bike rack? We borrowed one and it doesn't have clamps or ties for the bike like I've seen on other bike racks, they said to use bungie cables, but I just wondered if there was a technique besides use approximately 100 bungie cords so you feel safe having your bike on the back.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

thrakkorzog posted:

It's mostly limited to situations where the professionals are trying to avoid undue familiarity in order to preserve their authority. So cops, judges, doctors, coaches, and teachers like to keep things on a last name basis. An overwhelming amount of TV shows are based around those professions, compared to actual percentage of people actually working those jobs, so I can understand the confusion.

This is sometimes also done if you have two coworkers with the same first name, or if someone's last name is way cooler than their first.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Is the sticky-outy, building-part of a boat called a superstructure even if you're talking about an old wooden ship? Would you call that lip around the deck a "fence"? And is there any way to learn about pre-1900s boats and ship terminology without getting a confusing eyeful of modern types?

Superstructure would be technically correct, but sterncastle or fo'c'sle would be better. And the fence type thing would be the rail. As for learning about it, maybe read some of the Hornblower or Jack Aubrey books?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Whenever I go to buy shoes, my feet are measured at around 6.5 with normal width. I can't get my foot into a size 6.5 shoe at all, and usually end up buying around an 8 wide. This is about the narrowest shoe that can be comfortable, and invariably feels a little too long. What causes this discrepancy, and what's a good way to find shoes that fit properly?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

miryei posted:

Whenever I go to buy shoes, my feet are measured at around 6.5 with normal width. I can't get my foot into a size 6.5 shoe at all, and usually end up buying around an 8 wide. This is about the narrowest shoe that can be comfortable, and invariably feels a little too long. What causes this discrepancy, and what's a good way to find shoes that fit properly?
The cause of the discrepancy is that you have a wide foot. :eng101:

Seriously, though, shoes have width measurements. You should get your foot sized properly (i.e. find out what the width is). New Balance sells shoes sized for width, and make it really easy, though I strongly recommend you try them. If you live in a city, you also might have a shoe store specializing in wide shoes (I know there's one in Seattle).

Just be aware you're probably going to have to pay a significant amount of money; a size and a half is a pretty big variation. I wear a 13, but it's a 15 if I get it in normal width (which is basically a clown shoe on me), and I wear the widest shoes that are manufactured (i.e. I'd have to have them custom-made if they were any wider).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

The cause of the discrepancy is that you have a wide foot. :eng101:

Seriously, though, shoes have width measurements. You should get your foot sized properly (i.e. find out what the width is).
But... They did? It says so in the post??

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If he can't get his foot into the shoe they're trying to sell him, they're not measuring his feet correctly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

But... They did? It says so in the post??
What's commonly referred to as "shoe size" is actually just your foot length. Generally, if your foot is average, you don't need to measure the width. However, if your foot is unusually wide or unusually narrow, you're going to need a different-width shoe in order to get a good fit. These are usually measured in letters, indexed to the length. So, while a standard foot is probably a C or D (A would be the narrowest), a regular "wide" shoe is an E or EE, wider shoes can pretty easily go to a 4E (A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE). So, if you've got an unusually wide foot that you're trying to fit into regular-width (or even regular wide-width) shoes, you're going to end up with a shoe that's too long for your foot.

My foot is a 13 6E (EEEEEE), which is the widest shoe that New Balance makes (and as far as I know, they're the only athletic shoe maker that makes them that wide). Hush Puppies manufactures a 6E for dress/work shoes, too, thank god.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm currently trying to find out about how insects- in particular moths, relate to ancient or possibly even current mythology and religious beliefs. the most I've been able to find out is that the Egyptians believed moths to be souls moving on to the next life, but I've found nothing else. Is there any gods of any sort that were specifically related to moths, or any other important mythological or religious beliefs related to them?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 26, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Should a thank-you e-mail for an internship interview be about as formal/casual as interview itself?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Hogburto posted:

Should a thank-you e-mail for an internship interview be about as formal/casual as interview itself?

Did you already have the interview or are you replying to an invitation to have an interview? If you haven't had the interview yet, just do a short reply of thanks and that you look forward to meeting with them. Promptness is much more important than the tone or content of your reply.

If you've already had the interview and you're asking about composing a follow-up letter, then I'd say you should err on the side of informality because this is an internship/low-level job and those are more about how you'll fit in rather than your professionalism. You're competing to demonstrate that you made the best connection and have the most suitable personality among the interviewees. That is unless your job requires a good deal of formal communications. It's a calculated risk.

For an internship, I'll assume that you have a good CV but no relevant work history. Nothing looks more phoney than someone with no professional experience having a bigger stick up their rear end than the actual professionals they're trying to impress. You want to look like you're soft clay that's easy to mold, fun to play with, and able to take on any shape. This opposed to a goddamn nearly-finished statue. That's why old people lose internships to the completely inexperienced. Think eager puppy, man. You want to be their pet. They don't care that you sometimes accidentally piss on the carpet out of excitement so long as you're cute and loveable.

But then again, I might be kinda weird in that I tend to hire smiley happy eager idiots over know-it-alls with perfect grades and perfect diction.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm currently trying to find out about how insects- in particular moths, relate to ancient or possibly even current mythology and religious beliefs. the most I've been able to find out is that the Egyptians believed moths to be souls moving on to the next life, but I've found nothing else. Is there any gods of any sort that were specifically related to moths, or any other important mythological or religious beliefs related to them?

The Greeks believed this as well. In fact, the greek work "Psyche" (ψυχή) means "breath," "soul," and "moth/butterfly."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

wider shoes can pretty easily go to a 4E (A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE).

Spinoff question:

I understand where the clever system involving shoe width started at A for the narrowest, and then went to B, C, D, and E. And I would understand, theoretically, if a new, narrower width was needed, and there was nothing before A in the alphabet, so we called the next narrow one AA, and AAA for really skinny feet. But I fail to comprehend how we suddenly needed one wider then E, and we didn't go on with F, G, H, and so on.

This question also applies to bras, although the system there seems to be A, B, C, D, DD, DDD, etc.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Thanatosian posted:

What's commonly referred to as "shoe size" is actually just your foot length. Generally, if your foot is average, you don't need to measure the width. However, if your foot is unusually wide or unusually narrow, you're going to need a different-width shoe in order to get a good fit. These are usually measured in letters, indexed to the length. So, while a standard foot is probably a C or D (A would be the narrowest), a regular "wide" shoe is an E or EE, wider shoes can pretty easily go to a 4E (A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE). So, if you've got an unusually wide foot that you're trying to fit into regular-width (or even regular wide-width) shoes, you're going to end up with a shoe that's too long for your foot.

My foot is a 13 6E (EEEEEE), which is the widest shoe that New Balance makes (and as far as I know, they're the only athletic shoe maker that makes them that wide). Hush Puppies manufactures a 6E for dress/work shoes, too, thank god.

These are men's standard widths; women's standard width in US sizes is B, with "wide" being C or D depending on manufacturer, "extra wide" being E, and "extra extra wide" being EEE from most manufacturers.

International shoe widths are another kettle of fish entirely; this chart does a heroic job of trying to sort it out.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

FYI, I shop at the New Balance Outlet in San Ysidro, CA - and there are always 13 5E ane 6E's on the clearance rack, for pennies on the dollar. If you're not already shopping at a NB outlet - try it.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
You can get F, G, H etc bras.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

My feet are usually measured at 6.5 B, which is standard width for women. My current sneakers are 8 D, which was the best fit I could find. This is pretty much the same regardless of the type of shoe. Since width is being measured, what else could account for the discrepancy?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm writing a Science Fiction book about planets that move, and I am having trouble finding out a particular detail.

I envision a planet having 6 sets of engines at equal points on the planet to give it a full 360 degree range of motion. I've taken to calling the points: up, down, left, right, front, back and I've called them the 'spherical coordinates' in the book.

My stupid question is, what are these coordinates called? Does it have an actual name, or am I just going to have to describe where the coordinates to the best of my ability?

This was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lord Windy posted:

I'm writing a Science Fiction book about planets that move, and I am having trouble finding out a particular detail.

I envision a planet having 6 sets of engines at equal points on the planet to give it a full 360 degree range of motion. I've taken to calling the points: up, down, left, right, front, back and I've called them the 'spherical coordinates' in the book.

My stupid question is, what are these coordinates called? Does it have an actual name, or am I just going to have to describe where the coordinates to the best of my ability?

This was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system

I suppose you could just say there's one at each pole and then four more spaced out 90 degrees apart along the equator.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

Depending on if you're going with the standard space ships = naval terminology you could go with fore, aft, port, starboard... Up, down? (Dorsal, ventral?)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

miryei posted:

My feet are usually measured at 6.5 B, which is standard width for women. My current sneakers are 8 D, which was the best fit I could find. This is pretty much the same regardless of the type of shoe. Since width is being measured, what else could account for the discrepancy?

Do you have a very tall/steep instep?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Lord Windy posted:

Er, "pitch," "yaw," and "roll" describe the different ways that an object might be rotating. Honestly, in a coordinate system, you'd probably just pick X, Y, and Z axes. On a planetoid, maybe you'd have have polar thrusters and 4 equatorial thrusters? On earth, I'd probably name them North, South, and the equatorial ones by their degrees longitude. I mean, "front" versus "left" versus "top" doesn't really have any real significance on a sphere where inwards is "down" and outwards is "up." It's similarly difficult to even tell poles if the planet isn't rotating. Maybe you could go by magnetic poles, if your world has those, I guess, or the axis about which your planets historically spun...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't think there is a coordinate system like the one you're thinking of.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lord Windy posted:

The way to describe the pattern that both lets the reader quickly envision the arrangement and directly relates it to its purpose is probably just to say there's an engine on each end of each of the planet's 3 spatial axes, pointed outward (if that's the case).

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 26, 2013

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Lord Windy posted:

They sound more analogous to compass points than coordinates. You're probably best off giving them a sci-fi name, or naming them after a fictional scientist/inventor.

Edit: as you may have gleaned from the Wikipedia article, don't call them spherical coordinates: that will be confusing since the term already means something different.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 26, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
North, South, East, West, Carht and Silva. Problem solved.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Two parter: I've never heard an even passable approximation of the Australian accent by American actors. Is there a good one I've missed?

I've heard passable or even decent English accents from Americans, though. Is it very hard for them to learn that one?

Project1 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 26, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why do Americans say "British" when they mean "English"?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Because we don't understand the difference between Britain, England and the UK.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tiggum posted:

Why do non-Americans generalize people from a vast and diverse country?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tiggum posted:

For the same reason English people say "American" referring to people from the USA and not Canada or Argentina: it's a shorthand that everyone understands and no one cares about.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Because "Britain" includes "England"? So if the person under consideration comes from Scotland or Wales we're still correct; if we erred the other way we'd have an entirely different group of people wondering why Americans can't tell the difference between the Dumfries and Carlisle accents.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I think the real reason is ignorance, inertia, and it not being that big of a deal.

But also, something to think about : the UK is one nation-state formed from several culturally distinct territories, in the same way that the USA is. People abroad don't call me a Pennsylvanian (which I wouldn't expect them to guess) or even a northerner/yankee (which I would expect many people can guess from my accent), they call me an American. That's what I get for my country being merged into one geopolitical body - it encourages people to identify us as one. Same goes for the UK.

edit:
Hell, even some Bavarians resent being called German rather than Bavarian. But again, it's a consequence of living in a unified nation-state. Russia and China are enormous, and we don't typically refer to them by their region, either (though China is kind of intense about insiting that they are One People).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 26, 2013

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

stubblyhead posted:

Superstructure would be technically correct, but sterncastle or fo'c'sle would be better. And the fence type thing would be the rail. As for learning about it, maybe read some of the Hornblower or Jack Aubrey books?
Ah, rail! Thanks for this. Your words have even put me on the wiki trail of some other useful terms. (I want a clipper!) I probably should check out one of those books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

This is both stupid and small, but does anyone know how to make netflix instant show the current time rather than the time remaining?