Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
My apologies if these have been mentioned already and I missed it...

Stargate is now available to stream.

Revolution was recently made available as well. As soon as I am done with Fringe I am going to try this out; I hear it was not too bad.

Solomon Kane staring James Purefoy is also available. It is a movie about a very bad pirate in the 1600/1700's trying to mend his ways and not go to hell. I think this was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, but i don't believe any others have been made, which is a shame because it is not a bad movie.

Oswald Kesselpot has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Sham I Am posted:

My apologies if these have been mentioned already and I missed it...

Revolution was recently made available as well. As soon as I am done with Fringe I am going to try this out; I hear it was not too bad.

Solomon Kane staring James Purefoy is also available. It is a movie about a very bad pirate in the 1600/1700's trying to mend his ways and not go to hell. I think this was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, but i don't believe any others have been made, which is a shame because it is not a bad movie.

Solomon Kane is great. I've seen it twice when it was OD. It's not really a faithful interpretation of the character (Kane is my favorite Robert E. Howard character), but it's still pretty fun to watch. Plus, Max von Sydow is in it, and he's always worth seeing.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I haven't seen it posted in the last few pages, but Funeral Kings is a fantastic black comedy/coming-of-age movie that was recently added to Netflix. It sort of reminded me of a more light-hearted Bad Lieutenant starring children. It gets kind of dark at a few points, but it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

The other day I watched Deathstalker, which was a hilariously trashy Conan-wannabe film about some big muscled guy who roams around kicking rear end and gets a magic sword to fight an evil wizard. There's some really unintentionally hilarious stuff in it, like the evil servant who gets transformed into a hot woman by the wizard, and then the barbarian Deathstalker tries to rape him. I expected it to be terrible and unwatchable shlock that I could read a book to, but I ended up riveted.

Watching this you really develop an appreciation for the craft that goes into filmmaking. There's a certain talent that goes into sword fights that don't sound like two sticks hitting one another or sets that don't shake when bumped into that this film completely passed on.

You could write a whole thesis paper on rape for your women's studies class with this movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Krispy Kareem posted:

Watching this you really develop an appreciation for the craft that goes into filmmaking. There's a certain talent that goes into sword fights that don't sound like two sticks hitting one another or sets that don't shake when bumped into that this film completely passed on.

You could write a whole thesis paper on rape for your women's studies class with this movie.

I will always remember this movie as the movie my mom rented for my 12th birthday party because it looked like Conan.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sham I Am posted:

Just pretend it's a Tom & Jerry cartoon... turn your brain off and watch. The minute you start wondering why the cat doesn't just eat the mouse it all breaks down.

I think it was recommended here or maybe I just stumbled across it but The Dust Bowl, a documentary by Ken Burns is pretty drat good. Basically it covers the history of the southern plains with an emphasis on the early 1900's drought. I didn't know the dust got so bad that it blocked out the sun in East Coast cities. Dust storms, drought, heat waves, herds of ravenous rabbits, sickness, malnutrition; folks of the 30's had it rough.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Ken_Burns_The_Dust_Bowl_The_Great_Plow_Up/70277772?trkid=13641790

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MST3K: The Pod People along with a few other MST3Ks is back up! Huzzah!

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I watched this, fell asleep in the middle, and then watched the rest with no loving clue what was going on. Something about an amulet and evidently a lot of naked women. And yeah, a very rapey movie.

The topless barbarian woman who shows up at the beginning so that Deathstalker can gently caress her is the same woman Phil Spector shot. I thought she looked familiar.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

wormil posted:

Dust storms, drought, heat waves, herds of ravenous rabbits, sickness, malnutrition; folks of the 30's had it rough.
Just wait for what the next few decades will bring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Just pretend it's a Tom & Jerry cartoon... turn your brain off and watch. The minute you start wondering why the cat doesn't just eat the mouse it all breaks down.
I couldn't watch it simply because of those retarded knuckle-duster machete swords everybody was packing. I've used a lovely basket-hilted sword before and it just absolutely will destroy your hands and leave you with huge raw spots where the skin rubbed off.. I can't imagine how easily you could break a finger using a sword like those, let alone having almost no freedom to change your grip or the restricted wrist movement.

And where the hell did they get that many machetes with brass knucks, anyway? Was the first order of business when the lights went out, "hey bro, let's go break into the import store and nab some sweet Klingon steel!"

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Aug 25, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Branded (2012) is an interesting movie about our desires being manipulated by brand marketing. The first half is very good but then it gets pretty trippy and beats you over the head with special effects; the ending is a bit over the top but overall an enjoyable experience. Leelee Sobieski has never been so adorable and this is one of her better roles, she plays the daughter of an American advertising guy, Bob, who also does a little side work for various American government agencies. Bob recruits young Misha (Ed Stoppard) to help him spy on wealthy Muscovites with promises to make him rich but there are bigger players who use Misha to further their own diabolical goals.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Branded/70222858?trkid=13641790

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

wormil posted:

Branded (2012) is an interesting movie about our desires being manipulated by brand marketing. The first half is very good but then it gets pretty trippy and beats you over the head with special effects; the ending is a bit over the top but overall an enjoyable experience. Leelee Sobieski has never been so adorable and this is one of her better roles, she plays the daughter of an American advertising guy, Bob, who also does a little side work for various American government agencies. Bob recruits young Misha (Ed Stoppard) to help him spy on wealthy Muscovites with promises to make him rich but there are bigger players who use Misha to further their own diabolical goals.

Isn't that the movie where a young ad exec sacrifices a cow to be able to see ads as monsters and the good ads fight the bad ads like pokemon?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

wormil posted:

I started to hate the movie little by little, until at the end I was screaming at the screen. "Bullshit!" I exclaimed. Seriously, in my opinion, the movie was pretentious and completely incorrect in the story of advertising or/and what is considered an advertising. You might say, it's fiction, but still...I guess I felt like all those doctors and nurses that get mad at series like House.

Watch Samsara instead. That one is beautiful.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

wormil posted:

I gave this a shot a while back. It seemed really shallow. Technically, I agree with their thesis, but it's criticism of advertising was done on a really smug level. Plus, I got this weirdly sexist vibe from it.

It's worth watching if you're into bizarre directing choices or accidentally absurdist comedy, but as a legitimate movie, it's kinda awful.

Not even Max von Syndow could save this.

Gaunab posted:

Isn't that the movie where a young ad exec sacrifices a cow to be able to see ads as monsters and the good ads fight the bad ads like pokemon?

Indeed it is.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Sham I Am posted:

Hell yes Stargate Atlantis get all in my eyes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Friends Are Evil posted:

I gave this a shot a while back. It seemed really shallow. Technically, I agree with their thesis, but it's criticism of advertising was done on a really smug level. Plus, I got this weirdly sexist vibe from it.

It's worth watching if you're into bizarre directing choices or accidentally absurdist comedy, but as a legitimate movie, it's kinda awful.

Yeah the film definitely turns absurd with the sacrifice scene but by that point I was curious to see where it was going to go. It's unfortunate it took that weird turn because there was a very good movie going on up until that point and Ed Stoppard turned in a good performance all the way, even through the weird stuff. It almost seemed like a different creative vision took over halfway. I didn't get any of the weird vibes like sexism or pretentiousness though, it isn't any more sexist than most other movies.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I watched Man on a Mission. It is a documentary about the ridiculous man who made the Ultima games (who lives in a castle and dresses up as a video game character most days) spending millions of dollars to work out his daddy issues by flying to the space station.

Now, it isn't a bad movie if you like space stuff, but the main reason it is worth watching is the credits sequence, where the culmination of a man's life long dream ends by giving a presentation about space pooping in graphic detail to a horrified audience.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Stand Off Brendan Fraser, comedy mix-up movie set in Ireland or something. The cover art makes it looks like a more hardcore crime/caper film, but it's really more of a family comedy. Pretty good, although I was expecting more bullet wounds and angry criminals.

The Rundown The Rock is a bounty hunter who doesn't like shooting people so he uses Jackie Chan-style tricks to fight everybody who gets in the way of him catching Stiffler, so The Rock can start up his dream restaurant. There're a lot of little South American dudes doing rope tricks, and monkeys humping The Rock's head. Also there's an ancient gold cat because Stiffler thinks he's Indiana Jones. And Christopher Walken for no explicable reason, spouting off a bunch of Walken-isms which rarely make any sense.

Blue Summer two high school guys slap flower power stickers all over their van, fill the van with cheap beer, and go on a road trip of drunken driving, loving underage hitchikers and bored housewives, and being creeped out by a biker who only speaks in monosyllables. The guys get laid about 6 times each and mostly get ripped off by anyone they have sex with, and then at the end they have a big fight with a hilarious twist. Lots of gratuitous hippy music and naked hippy chicks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

coyo7e posted:

The Rundown The Rock is a bounty hunter who doesn't like shooting people so he uses Jackie Chan-style tricks to fight everybody who gets in the way of him catching Stiffler, so The Rock can start up his dream restaurant. There're a lot of little South American dudes doing rope tricks, and monkeys humping The Rock's head. Also there's an ancient gold cat because Stiffler thinks he's Indiana Jones. And Christopher Walken for no explicable reason, spouting off a bunch of Walken-isms which rarely make any sense.

Blue Summer two high school guys slap flower power stickers all over their van, fill the van with cheap beer, and go on a road trip of drunken driving, loving underage hitchikers and bored housewives, and being creeped out by a biker who only speaks in monosyllables. The guys get laid about 6 times each and mostly get ripped off by anyone they have sex with, and then at the end they have a big fight with a hilarious twist. Lots of gratuitous hippy music and naked hippy chicks.

Well, you sold me on these.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Rundown's great if you miss the cheesy action adventure films of the 80s. It's a fun movie

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Desperado Bones posted:

Watch Samsara instead. That one is beautiful.

Emphasizing this. Watched it Sunday and was blown away by the cinematography and masterful segues.

Then it got to the end with the Monks destroying their sand painting and I was yelling at them to stop.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I watched about half of Dredd last night and it didn't click with me. I don't get the hype. I turned it off just after the big building got locked down. I was pretty sure I could guess the rest of the movie: They continue killing people through various means, working their way up the building until they kill the bad boss lady. Am I correct?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Solomon Kane is a pretty solid murder train based off the character of the same name created by author Robert E Howard (Conan the Barbarian). The movie still has its flaws (a bit too long, drops the ball on a few points), but unlike Conan 2011, I can ignore those warts and whole heartedly recommend it to people.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Opopanax posted:

The Rundown's great if you miss the cheesy action adventure films of the 80s. It's a fun movie

Completely agree.

Blue Summer sounds like a terrible 70s low budget movie but somehow Coyo7etes description makes it sound good, will check it out.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

me your dad posted:

I watched about half of Dredd last night and it didn't click with me. I don't get the hype. I turned it off just after the big building got locked down. I was pretty sure I could guess the rest of the movie: They continue killing people through various means, working their way up the building until they kill the bad boss lady. Am I correct?

Congrats you figured it out.

I don't think you get Dredd.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Watched Spykids 4 today. It rotates between being pretty funny and one of the worst movies I've ever seen pretty consistently. The villains backstory is a little depressing too, he got frozen in time as a kid and watched his dad spend the rest of his life trying to save him and then dying before he could. All the villain wants to do is just go back in time and tell his dad he loves him.

BattleTech has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Aug 27, 2013

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

me your dad posted:

Couldn't you say this about any action movie?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've been watching Awake. I thought it was a British or Canadian show at first but turns it ran one season on NBC. The show makes the reality where his son died seem like a much better alternativeexcept for the whole conspiracy plot.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Aug 27, 2013

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I just watched Family Weekend, I thought it was pretty cool and reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine. Also Olesya Rulin is hot as poo poo Olsen twin clone.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

me your dad posted:

Do you hate action movies or something? Because if that's the case yeah, oddly enough, Dredd may not be your thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Since there are a few Sherlock Holmes fans here I'll mention that PopFlix on the Roku has another Holmes tv series with Ronald Howard. It is more lighthearted but the first few episodes were definetly enjoyable.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just watched the last half of Dredd again and really enjoyed it. A shooter video game with the basic look and feel of that movie would be great.

The events in the film would fit a shooter very well.

-Train up the rookie and get him/her through their assessment mission.
-Fight your way through the tower full of basehead gangbangers, floor by floor.
-Rescue the rookie when they get in trouble.
-Side missions as the rookie or sidekick, with psychic or other special abilities.
-Identify the crooked Judge(s) and lay down your judgment upon them.

I thought the action sequences once the crooked Judges showed up were great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dredd was okay, my roommate says it was pretty true to the comics. It was mostly forgettable for me. There is a licensed free phone game for android and probably iOS as well, that he says is pretty cool if you're into the comics. I guess the big thing about that particular rookie cop chick is that she's psychic and can scan the city for crimes or some poo poo, which is also in the phone game.

Solomon Kane was decent shlock but I haven't read more than a couple of the original stories so I can't make a judgement on its veracity. I don't know the genesis of the character, but it seemed a bit unlike the actual content that I have read before, which is Solomon Kane with a badass juju staff and brace of pistols and rapier, generally being such a weirdly direct dude who beats evil by being a badass who doesn't believe ghosts can hurt him, etc. Max von Sidow is generally fun, though.

wormil posted:

Completely agree.

Blue Summer sounds like a terrible 70s low budget movie but somehow Coyo7etes description makes it sound good, will check it out.
The ending was so weird and unexplained but apropos (also unexpected), that I had to give it a 5. And I generally don't go for gratuitous exploitation movies.. Maybe my roommate is having an effect on me.

The Pagan Queen was rated as a rough-seeming 3/5 when I checked it out, but it turned out to be a fairly interesting and touching drama about the founding of the city of Prague. I would recommend it, but can't summarise why without giving away the story I guess. It's dark and there was some weird rapeyness going on at one point, following (and followed by) a really sad failure of communication. I thought it was a very solid medieval drama, but it was not a happy movie in any way. I'd be interested to find out more about Prague's true history, now. The 3/5 may be reactions to how unrelentingly dark it is, it's not cheaply done or poorly acted in any way, it's just not a happy romantic movie.

Bartleby is fun, I've been beating around the bush about watching it for a long time. The set design and costuming are really something, as are the actors' performances. It is a weird and dreary movie, and wonderful. I think I need to go back and check out some Melville, no., besides Moby Dick I've never read anything of his. Fuckin' Crispin Glover. :whatup:

Neo Helbeast posted:

Watched Spykids 4 today. It rotates between being pretty funny and one of the worst movies I've ever seen pretty consistently. The villains backstory is a little depressing too, he got frozen in time as a kid and watched his dad spend the rest of his life trying to save him and then dying before he could. All the villain wants to do is just go back in time and tell his dad he loves him.
Good lord! :gonk:

Also what the gently caress are you doing watching Spykids!? :catstare:

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 06:54 on Aug 30, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

Well if you're gonna watch Machete you need the whole story, of course.

Four Rooms is the best Spy Kids movie.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Good lord! :gonk:

It was either that or continue to get hit with a foam noodle by the world's most annoying kid.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Do you hate action movies or something? Because if that's the case yeah, oddly enough, Dredd may not be your thing.

Yeah, actually I do generally dislike action movies. But I like sci-fi, and I like sci-fi action movies so I gave it a chance since from descriptions it sounded fun.

I guess I just expected it to be a little more creative. But it wasn't. It was pretty much a rehash of a ton of other movies. Stoic good guy pursues bad guys and there's a made-up drug people are hooked on Zzzzz.... Robocop 2.

me your dad has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Aug 31, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just got an e-mail saying that season three of Portlandia is up!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
FYI, if you're streaming Netflix through a computer you can manually set the video quality. I didn't see this mentioned in either Netflix thread, so here's the method:

Start the video as normal.
Get the image in a frame (full screen won't show the menu).
On Windows, hold all of [ Alt + Ctrl + Shift + S ].
On a Mac, use [ Option + Ctrl + Shift + S ].
Select any setting other than what you want, hit apply, then click the seek bar somewhere.
Now select the quality and the seek bar position you want.

It may or may not update with one setting change, but it always works with both. You can pause, play, and maximize the movie without rebuffering.

Enjoy! Be prepared to wait a shitload of time for the buffering if your connection is bad, though.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Clue is really good. :shobon:

Nthing the recommendation for Dredd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Don't know if they have been mentioned yet but Tai Chi Zero and it's sequel Tai Chi Hero are both on instant. Good films if you want a fun martial arts flick.

• Locked thread