Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

INTJ Mastermind posted:

A $20 camera won't stop him from getting stabbed by hobos...

How about $40 worth of pepper spray? http://www.amazon.com/Kimber-Pepperblaster-Grey-One-Size/dp/B004MG63X6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1377442771&sr=8-4&keywords=pepper+gun Good for wild animals and stabbin' hobos.

Elderbean posted:

What are must haves for a decent off camera lighting setup, assuming I don't want to spend a shitload of money? I want to do some studio stuff and maybe some weird conceptual shots outside. I also need a decent tripod capable of supporting a 6D and my mammoth lens.

Also, I have this huge fear that my poo poo will get stolen if I got outside with it alone. I live outside of Seattle and I always want to go out at night and take some shots but I'm terrified that someone is going to beat the poo poo out of me and steal my stuff. Am I being silly?

Seattle is like one of the least scariest cities to be alone at night in, so yes you are being a little silly. Just pay attention to your surroundings and don't setup a tripod near a known shady area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Buy something like a Leica with a nice solid tank-like body and just club anybody that comes near you with it.

On a related note, after shooting with my 15mm Voigtlander for a few weeks and playing with a 35mm the other day, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm thinking if I ever wanted to shoot film and keep those lenses an older Leica like an M3 wouldn't be a bad idea :ohdear:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

That reminded me of the educational crank-powered camera kit, turns out it's finally for sale, but at $90 it's a little steep for an impulse buy.

Or if you want to spend $200, apparently there's a Superheadz one too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm confused about wireless triggering for flashes.

Do I have to buy one pocketwizard for the flash, and one for the camera for it to work? I'm trying to pick up one of the Yongnuo speedlights. Do the Yognuo transcievers work well enough, they're cheaper.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 25, 2013

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Helicity posted:

Buy something like a Leica with a nice solid tank-like body and just club anybody that comes near you with it.

On a related note, after shooting with my 15mm Voigtlander for a few weeks and playing with a 35mm the other day, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm thinking if I ever wanted to shoot film and keep those lenses an older Leica like an M3 wouldn't be a bad idea :ohdear:

Get an MD, at 15mm you can just use hyperfocal distance and there's no rangefinder to get knocked out of alignment when you clobber people with the camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you had gotten the l39 version of the 15mm you could have gotten a bessa L for practically nothing too. Don't think they make one in m mount form though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mr. Despair posted:

If you had gotten the l39 version of the 15mm you could have gotten a bessa L for practically nothing too. Don't think they make one in m mount form though.

Bessa T to the rescue! http://www.cameraquest.com/VCBT.htm

I see some used M3s for only $450 on KEH though - I wonder how usable they are in their condition. I ended up with the L over the M because there are apparently some color problems with the L when used on a mirrorless body.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Does this look like a decent first-timer setup? Although I forgot to remove one of the mounting brackets from my cart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Elderbean posted:

Does this look like a decent first-timer setup? Although I forgot to remove one of the mounting brackets from my cart.

I did something similar using stuff from Cowboy studio. I spent $260 including my Vivitar lights. I want to say the cheap brands like that probably use the same manufacturer. Mine started falling apart pretty quickly after regular use. I sort of wish I saved for some proper lights. Then again., those things will probably be fine if you are careful with it. My stuff broke when I bumped into it or bumped them into something. I cant honestly say they broke because they were cheap rather than me not being careful with them, but I know more expensive ones are built much better.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've got cowboy studio triggers and a Yongnuo flash, the yongnuo stuff is much nicer feeling.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mr. Despair posted:

I've got cowboy studio triggers and a Yongnuo flash, the yongnuo stuff is much nicer feeling.

Cactus v5 transceivers are awesome too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Also, any tripod recommendations? Something sturdy enough to hold a heavy SLR and whatever lens I might have on it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Elderbean posted:

Also, any tripod recommendations? Something sturdy enough to hold a heavy SLR and whatever lens I might have on it.

I've been using Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and a 496RC2 Ball Head for about 2 years now. Compact, portable, sturdy, versatile, and awesome. Was fine holding up a 1D3 and 70-200 2.8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

I've been using Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and a 496RC2 Ball Head for about 2 years now. Compact, portable, sturdy, versatile, and awesome. Was fine holding up a 1D3 and 70-200 2.8.

We're tripod/head twins!

I wouldn't call the legs compact though.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

xzzy posted:

We're tripod/head twins!

Triplets. Used to mount a T2i and a 10-22 or 17-40 just fine. It's also study enough to take several years worth of golf ball hail, rain, and 80mph winds near large tornadoes:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

xzzy posted:

We're tripod/head twins!

No? I've never had any trouble lugging them around. It's my first and only "real" tripod, though. (garage sale and plastic tripods aside)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

"compact" by manfrotto standards is "loving huge" by benro standards.

(that said I'm loving that 496RC2 on top of the lightweight/compact benro legs right now).

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Helicity posted:

Triplets. Used to mount a T2i and a 10-22 or 17-40 just fine. It's also study enough to take several years worth of golf ball hail, rain, and 80mph winds near large tornadoes:

Quadruplets. I've mounted a 40D with a cantilevered 70-200F4 (no tripod ring) without problem. Being able to put the center column horizontal can be handy as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dakana posted:

No? I've never had any trouble lugging them around. It's my first and only "real" tripod, though. (garage sale and plastic tripods aside)

Oh they're certainly easy to carry around, but they're not small by any measure.. there are a ton of smaller and lighter options out there (that cost a lot more).

I've lugged my setup to iceberg lake (in glacier np) no problems, but I had to strap it to the outside of my bag because there was nowhere else to put it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd call them medium or normal sized. They're only light and compact if you're comparing them to heavy duty tripods with spreaders and whatnot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I mean compare this normal sized manfrotto to a benro travel angel

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

And I believe the 190s are the shorter legs. I haul around the 055s.

Also did you know we have a thread dedicated to tripod chat?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I dunno if that lightstand you linked is collapsible but if it's not consider getting this one instead.

http://www.adorama.com/BG3373.html

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I guess this is a gear question, though I'll crosspost it to the Pentax thread since it could be brand-specific.

My K10D is starting to show its annoyance with the way I treat it - everything I own is deteriorating rapidly, blame for which I apportion evenly between my own clumsiness and risk-taking and the fact that I'm at the end of 2 months of fieldwork in the High Arctic (not just snow, icicles in July). Anyway, my plan is to buy a K-5 and send the K10D to somebody for a CLA. I don't know the shutter count, but it's got to be around 60-70K, and there are a few little things gone wrong in addition to some new squeaking/scratching sounds when the mirror moves, and a grinding sound when writing to the card in burst mode.

Does somebody have a recommendation for a place I could send my Pentax K10D? I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, so anyplace local will just send it onwards, might as well deal with the service provider directly. Perhaps there's something in Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto?

More generally, has anybody sent a camera for a check-up lately? What's typically involved? What kind of price might you expect for a fairly thorough test-and-repair?
And is there a good way to determine the shutter count on a Pentax DSLR?

\/\/\/ Oh yes. It's pretty quiet, but it sounds remarkably like a film-advance motor winding the spool back up when you finish your roll of 35mm in your mid-90's AF SLR. At this point, I'm committed to buying a new camera and if this one dies completely, it will have died in-harness, honourably.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 27, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

a grinding sound when writing to the card in burst mode.

:stare:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

a grinding sound when writing to the card in burst mode

Your electrons aren't flowing cohesively into the SD card. Blast the contacts with some WD-40 and your data should stop rubbing against the sides of the contacts and making that noise.

EDIT: :stonkhat:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Primo Itch posted:

They talk about filling the customs forms... You know if you can declare poo poo as a gift when using it for example? Paying over 90% in taxes on anything that costs more than 50 USD gets old fast :(

They have an online form that you fill out, which gets printed on the customs dec. All the usual stuff - value and gift/merchandise/etc. Obviously, you should alwaysdeclare the full and correct value, since the Australian Government totally earned and deserves that two hundred bucks when you buy a 5D3.

And, if you are getting stuff repacked, you can ask for packaging to be removed and/or any invoices/receipts to be mailed separately.

I like it.

xcore posted:

The only way to save any decent money is buying hundreds of dollars of stuff on Amazon in seperate purchases every month.

I split it with my wife and her sister. Between them and the amount of stuff Amazon won't ship here, it's worked out pretty well. That whole 'amazon cant send you a ballhead because no good reason' is a whole other angry topic.

I also buy a lot of crap, though, so ymmv.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 27, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Update on my declining camera:

quote:

Results
Camera PENTAX K10D
Manufature Date 2006:12:09
Shutter Count 98,111

More Pentax news at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/check-shutter-count-exif.html#ixzz2d8F6vifm

New question: who has taken their camera up to its shutter lifespan or beyond?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

BrosephofArimathea posted:

They have an online form that you fill out, which gets printed on the customs dec. All the usual stuff - value and gift/merchandise/etc. Obviously, you should alwaysdeclare the full and correct value, since the Australian Government totally earned and deserves that two hundred bucks when you buy a 5D3.

And, if you are getting stuff repacked, you can ask for packaging to be removed and/or any invoices/receipts to be mailed separately.

I live in Brazil so it wouldn't be 200 bucks of taxes on a 5D3 but 2k or whatever the camera costs in the first place. It's just ridiculous that I have to pay twice the price of something just because of import taxes, especially considering those taxes go to fatten up some senator's pocket instead of being used where they are direly needed...

But that's off topic and thanks for the suggestion, I'll actually use it to get things from eBay from sellers that won't ship internationally.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ExecuDork posted:

I ran a D1h into the ground with around 220,000 actuations. I think it was rated for 150k or something?

I would feel less comfortable with a more consumer grade body nearing its rated shutter lifetime. I've not done anything like that to any other camera I've owned.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

My d90 was around 100k when I finally killed it by bumping the mount out of alignment. They're designed for half that afaik.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

My friend that does timelapse on consumer Canons is fully expecting to burn through one camera a year. No failures yet, but it will be interesting to see when those shutters finally do give out.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

This finally prompted me to check my shutter count. Since I bought my 40D used a yearish ago and have pressed the button ~30,000 times since then I figured I'd be pushing the limit... but no, only 50K total actuations.

KEH BGN grade 4 lyfe

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The saga of my ill-fated K-30 purchase continues. gently caress! The vendor is an idiot beyond belief.

Can anyone tell me if it is wise to ship a digital camera with no insurance? (I'd be using Canada Post's Xpresspost, but general information is appreciated.)

EDIT: gently caress it. Went with a reliable vendor for a fistful of dollars more.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 27, 2013

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
Pretty sure my shutter was around 220k and mirror at around 175k when I sold my 1D3. Never hiccupped.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

No Gravitas posted:

The saga of my ill-fated K-30 purchase continues. gently caress! The vendor is an idiot beyond belief.

Can anyone tell me if it is wise to ship a digital camera with no insurance? (I'd be using Canada Post's Xpresspost, but general information is appreciated.)

EDIT: gently caress it. Went with a reliable vendor for a fistful of dollars more.
Glad to hear you're sticking with your attempts to get into Pentax, and photography more generally. Looks like you're past that decision, but I'm not worried about packages in the mail, within Canada or between the USA and Canada. I think losses or damage are fairly rare, even the cheapest option usually involves no really rough handling. Heavy things - more than about 10-15 kg - are a different story.

Spime Wrangler posted:

KEH BGN grade 4 lyfe
I'm thinking about joining you there, but KEH's website, in addition to clumsy design, is running slooooooowwww today. It's surprising (to me, I've been away a while) how goddam difficult it is to shop for a used camera on-line today. eBay is full of idiocy of every description, and while the deals on PentaxForums are not bad, the tendency for Amerian users to refuse to ship to Canada makes every communication with the seller an exercise in uncertainty.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
If you're in Canada and want to support a legit vendor who "gets it", order from thecamerastore.com (based in Calgary)

They're the guys who created battle on f-stop ridge, along with a bunch of good reviews on their YouTube channel. Quite a few dudes who work there are professional photographers, well known locally. The store is always busy and an awesome place to browse and talk photography with other nerds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Galaxy NX being introduced at $1599 for body-only option. What the hell? Sure, the price's going to drop some in the coming months, but right now you'd better get a 6D or D600 for the same price. The sensible choice between a fullframe sensor and a lovely Android UI clearly favors the former.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/29/samsung-galaxy-nx-priced-coming-in-october-for-1599-body-only-or-1699-with-18-55mm-lens/

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I'm thinking about going to a full frame nikon system from my current canon 7D. I've got a canon 100-400 f/4-5.6 lens that I really enjoy using for birds and crap like that, and I'm not really seeing anything in that ballpark for nikon mount in terms of price and performance. Can anyone recommend something in the neighborhood of 400mm with decent sharpness and autofocus speed (comparable to that 100-400 canon) for <$2,000? I read that the 80-400 AF is dog slow, but I haven't used it.

Canon seems to have a lot in that space (400 f5.6, 300 f/4, 100-400) but it looks like the nikon options seem to be generally more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Galaxy NX makes even less sense when you consider that if you want 3G connectivity, you'll have to get a second SIM card and plan just for the camera. I think Sony took the right route with the 5T with NFC and wifi.