Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
MS did at least one thing right with Windows Phone and it was adding manual focus control to camera APIs for 3rd party camera apps to take advantage of.

So that you can get your hand burned by nettles when sticking your phone into bushes.

Snail by jarkkoparkko, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

vsco_0 by s-bothun, on Flickr

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

McDade Trail Wildflowers by thedoablebill, on Flickr

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Stubb Dogg posted:

manual focus control
The iphone desperately needs this.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

vsco_0 by s-bothun, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
My favorite self portrait to date.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sawtooth by alkanphel, on Flickr

Smoke Signal by alkanphel, on Flickr

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I have no idea what I'm doing. Only recently started getting into photography. Snapping shots and editing them with a cell phone is like the most fun thing ever, though.

branch by underscorezero, on Flickr

fr635056301389215320_jpg by underscorezero, on Flickr

up by underscorezero, on Flickr

Be Well by underscorezero, on Flickr

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum

http://instagram.com/turnerbradley

Charlie Bubblegum fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 18, 2013

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Followed. These are rad.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

jackpot posted:

Followed. These are rad.
Yeah, me too :)
Good work!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 21, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Edit: *nvm*

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I don't know why I'm doing this. I just am.
Mobile phone / London Underground project.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

wow looking at some of your photos above... phone cameras have really stepped up their game. Holy poo poo. My iphone 4s definitely lets me down (also this pic was taken through bridge windows which adds lots of glare and whatnot, but I think my lens is just generally fogged and poopy)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 26, 2013

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

wow looking at some of your photos above... phone cameras have really stepped up their game. Holy poo poo. My iphone 4s definitely lets me down (also this pic was taken through bridge windows which adds lots of glare and whatnot, but I think my lens is just generally fogged and poopy)
If you don't have an "Ask me about my job on a hugeass boat" thread in A/T, I'm gonna be pissed. Because you should.

I've got a 4s, and maybe it's because I've had so many lovely phones in the past, but I don't mind the camera at all. I've got a real camera for real pictures, and the only time the 4s unexpectedly lets me down is if I have to use the front-facing camera. I mean holy hell, check this poo poo out. Photo taken yesterday at 6pm in a well-lit room. drat thing looks like it had the "paint daubs" photoshop filter applied to it.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 26, 2013

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah, and comparing my standard phone photos to some of the pictures above, I mean, lolwut?
Those are some seriously awesome phone photos. My iphone camera just always gives me that hazy crappy low-res cell-phone image quality. I mean, I have a camera and all, but I expected more from the 4s

oh and re: ship thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393222

It's mostly just mates & engineers talking shipping banter & tech talk/lingo etc but that's the SA ship thread :P

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 27, 2013

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I guess some of process the pictures more than other people. I know I definitely do. I might use Lightroom on the computer or Snapseed or something on the phone. I also have to restrict myself to 1024px or so. It makes a difference!

I don't see anything wrong with the ship picture, it's a good one :)

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Are you typically doing the filters and editing on your phone, or do you pull them onto your computer and do the editing there?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I think he said that he uses Lightroom sometimes though that looks like vscocam to me.

Honestly I always felt like editing your photos on the computer isn't really "cell phone photography" anymore but I seem to be the minority when it comes to that.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
No VSCO for me on Android and I'm far too cheap to pay for the Lightroom filters :)
If I spent enough time on it, I could do the processing on the phone too using various different apps, but it's just more fiddly.

Where does it stop becoming phone photography? I'm not really sure myself.

This one just got featured on @London on Instagram. I'm pretty chuffed that I've got my first feature, but I don't think it's one of the best ones of my Underground shots.
http://instagram.com/p/e7Pgm4ubYK/

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Oh I wasn't trying to start a discussion about it, there's no rules that say you must do things a certain way to "qualify", it's just how I personally feel about it. I feel that mobile photography should be mobile only from beginning to end. I like to see what people can produce given the limitations of a cell phone camera and photo editors. I've always felt that the whole point of it, the coolness of it, comes from the limitations and the ways in which people get creative to overcome those limitations.

I get really annoyed when people post DSLR or even P&S shots to Instagram too. I'm just grumpy, haha.

e: if you have an HTC One, Galaxy S3 or Galaxy S4 you can sign up for the vscocam beta btw: https://vsco.co/vscocam/androidbeta

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

the kawaiiest posted:

I get really annoyed when people post DSLR or even P&S shots to Instagram too. I'm just grumpy, haha.

Me too, especially if they're overcooked HDRs. The other thing that gets me is when people post meme-type crap and those e-card things.

drat kids get off my Instagram!!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ZippySLC posted:

Me too, especially if they're overcooked HDRs. The other thing that gets me is when people post meme-type crap and those e-card things.

drat kids get off my Instagram!!

Pretty much this yeah. And people who use a trillion tags that have nothing to do with their photos. I've seen "selfies" (ugh) tagged -- and I'm not making this up -- #newyork #paris #amsterdam #hongkong #tokyo #saopaulo #sydney (all these tags at the same time) and the photo was obviously taken in some high school in Arizona or something. Searching for stuff on Instagram is pretty much pointless now, and the discover page, which used to be awesome for finding good mobile photography, is now 50% literal garbage and 50% DSLR shots. :sigh:

I think flickr is a better community than Instagram. The users are a bit older on average, and while there's a lot of nonsense there too, it's a lot easier to avoid thanks to groups. Just find some groups for stuff you like/are interested in, join them, and you'll see very little spam/crap by comparison.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

the kawaiiest posted:

I think flickr is a better community than Instagram. The users are a bit older on average, and while there's a lot of nonsense there too, it's a lot easier to avoid thanks to groups. Just find some groups for stuff you like/are interested in, join them, and you'll see very little spam/crap by comparison.

Yeah, Flickr is great. For the longest time I just used it to upload pictures and never really participated in the community. I've been doing that recently and it's been great. The photography that I have run into, for the most part, has been really great.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I don't see these all that often anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems to be in suspiciously good condition, too.

Did you pick up the handset and check for a dialtone?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dollys by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Taken on my iPhone 4 about 2 hours before upgrading to a 5. Lightly VSCOed. Resolution is poo poo but it's still pretty amazing what we can do with telephones.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Instagram is ok if you follow the right people - you just have to stay way the hell away from the "popular" page and find the people with talent - they're out there. Then once you find them, look at who they're following, etc.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

More tube.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Allaire Carpenter's Shop by benruset, on Flickr

Playing around with Lightroom (I'm an Aperture user) and a Kodak Portra preset.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
These are some inspiring cell-phone pics.

Here's my sexy Beagle working it for the camera as I experiment with the options on the Hipsmatastic App. Think I found a new favorite combo with the Roboto Glitter Lens + Float Film + Berry Pop Flash.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

the kawaiiest posted:

Pretty much this yeah. And people who use a trillion tags that have nothing to do with their photos. I've seen "selfies" (ugh) tagged -- and I'm not making this up -- #newyork #paris #amsterdam #hongkong #tokyo #saopaulo #sydney (all these tags at the same time) and the photo was obviously taken in some high school in Arizona or something. Searching for stuff on Instagram is pretty much pointless now, and the discover page, which used to be awesome for finding good mobile photography, is now 50% literal garbage and 50% DSLR shots. :sigh:

A guy a went to school with does this, except only ever pictures of himself with his shirt off (and i always think "who the gently caress takes these pictures of him?") not one photo isnt of himself. The funny part is that its all tagged with #hot -#sexy #swag #me #fashion #ripped #workout #hotguys" etc

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

#nipples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Sludge Tank posted:

A guy a went to school with does this, except only ever pictures of himself with his shirt off (and i always think "who the gently caress takes these pictures of him?") not one photo isnt of himself. The funny part is that its all tagged with #hot -#sexy #swag #me #fashion #ripped #workout #hotguys" etc

The whole selfie thing is a mystery to me. What makes these people think that anyone would want to see that many pictures of them? I doubt even this guy's mom would want that. Are people really THAT self-absorbed? Christ.

Clown posted:

#nipples

Okay, I laughed.

e: this is a good place to find photography apps for the iPhone that are on sale or gone free: http://lifeinlofi.com/photo-apps-on-sale/

Can't remember if I already posted this link here.