Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Since when do carrier air wings have commodores? You mean the CAG? And no, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Every dollar spent on the F-35 is a dollar he's not getting for maintenance, training, fuel, etc., and poorly managed programs that just hemorrhage money tend to piss off pretty much everyone that deals with budgets.

A CAG is equivalent to a commodore...they're both titles and the only reason the title CAG still exists is :siren:tradition:siren:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Godholio posted:

A CAG is equivalent to a commodore...they're both titles and the only reason the title CAG still exists is :siren:tradition:siren:.
CAG is usually an O-6 Captain, and subordinate to the O-6 CO of the ship. Commodore is traditionally an O-7. There is a "Commodore" onboard most carriers, but for the attached destroyer squadron, not the air wing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Commodore on a carrier is traditionally (since the 90s) an O-7. It's a position, not a rank. And a non-carrier air wing is commanded by a commodore who's probably an O-6...so yeah, equivalent to a CAG.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've seen the term 'commodore' for destroyer and submarine squadron commanders before, and they'd be O-6 level. In these cases the Captains of the underlying ships are generally O-5s. The commodore I did my part in getting fired was an O-6.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dude its ridiculously easy to dent an aircraft. That aluminum is pretty thin.
We had an old stripped out F-4 sitting in the yard when I worked at the range, nobody probably had the heart to use it as a target. I assumed it had played drone at some point because there were a decent amount of bullet holes in it. When you looked in them it looked like a honeycomb.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nog
May 15, 2006

Hydrolith posted:

Cool. We don't have any rangers, though. I've done a bit of digging, and apparently TF 66 was comprised of SASR, 2Cdo and SOER. Which is more or less all the SF we have.

Ah, cool. Makes sense. No one ever really explained it to us beyond "Aussie ranger regiment". We had a kind of muddled, overlapping AO and we both did a horrible job chatting with each other so we were constantly stepping on each others' toes. Still got along real well though.

The actual SF we supported were cool but they seemed a bit too chill to me. I mean I understand that they're well trained and know their poo poo, but when we go on an combined air and ground raid deep into Taliban country with plans to emplace over 500 lbs in demo, you'd think the joint brief would take longer than 5 minutes. They did give us two of their motorcycles though, and those were pretty sweet.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Oxford Comma posted:

Is it possible to be SF and not be cool as gently caress?

Yeah. I've met some MARSOC dudes who were serious assholes. But then again you really can't get mad at any actual combat arms Marine for being a dick to air wing.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Hydrolith posted:

Cool. We don't have any rangers, though. I've done a bit of digging, and apparently TF 66 was comprised of SASR, 2Cdo and SOER. Which is more or less all the SF we have.

We did missions with TF 66 last year from our VSP, some of which described themselves as the equivalent of rangers in the US army.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I did exactly one mission with SOF ever.

All it really was was cover for a source meet they wanted to do, and they just needed a Marine who could run (or pretend the run) the BATS machine and make a show of not being able to read a guy's fingerprints and/or irises. I scanned a whole construction site full of iraqis while complaining about "the poo poo's not working" and "what's the deal with this crap?". Meanwhile, a bunch of SEALs stood around and pulled security, and intel got to talk to a particular guy whom I claimed came up on BATS as being a suspect. Basically, I had to pretend to be a bonehead who couldn't use some semi-complicated technology so they could talk to an iraqi about something. LAMEST OP EVER.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

LAMEST OP EVER.
My favorite Lame Op story was where we supposed to pull security for a half SF team to raid an enemy asset on Route Irish. When we showed up, there were 3 full A Teams. They laughed, said watch this, and pulled their own security while being cool dudes and giving us useful shits we couldn't get, like batteries and water.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

grover posted:

CAG is usually an O-6 Captain, and subordinate to the O-6 CO of the ship. Commodore is traditionally an O-7. There is a "Commodore" onboard most carriers, but for the attached destroyer squadron, not the air wing.

CAG is subordinate to the CSG Admiral. He defers to the CO of the carrier in operations that are specific to the carrier. CAG is not subordinate to the CVN CO.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Half of this thread makes no sense to me; so I like to make up the meanings of the acronyms. Picture for the picture gods:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

N17R4M posted:

Half of this thread makes no sense to me; so I like to make up the meanings of the acronyms. Picture for the picture gods:

Portugal? Rhodesia? The Rhodesians put old WW2 German 20mm MG 151's in their Alouettes and turned them into Gunships :black101: The Falcon 900 in the background probably means it's not Rhodesia, though.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Malta. Apparently we have missile pods for the drat things; because there's a missile control panel in the cockpit. The most I've seen these be armed with is an PKM, and even that was for display, never seen them be deployed armed.

They're mostly used for search and rescue, as can be seen in the photo, that was a winch demonstration for some school kids.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I used to play Halo with a few SEALS in Afghanistan and they would shout at each other to get on the crew serve and then one would jump on a mounted gun and lay down some solid suppressive fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah I saw that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj74k4wu3-U

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Scratch Monkey posted:

Except that's in Alaska. Also Canada doesn't operate F-16s

Worked with the guy on the right with his hands kind of on his knees. That F-16 was running when all this was taking place, they were in the middle of a launch during an ORE (which is why a couple of the guys in the picture are in MOPP gear). He said that bitch just ran around for a good 20-25 minutes in and around a bunch of running aircraft before the wildlife guys were able to corral her off the flightline, guess she didn't mind loud noises. Moose/other wildlife on the flightline is almost a monthly occurrence up at Eielson.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I think I've posted this but my instructor at nursing school was a MARSOC corpsman (until he was DADT'ed out.) I've never heard someone's voice project quite like his....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
did someone say Rhodesia?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somebody shaves his legs! Hubba hubba!

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVkwltV1_I

What is this from?

E: I guess the video title was more descriptive then I thought. The Boys from Company C.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077270/

Has anyone seen it? Any good?

Smoke Crack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 25, 2013

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLsV7DZmxoU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I... was not expecting that. :stare:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

:stare: Good god drat!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Holy poo poo.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Well, that was precise. :stare:

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
allahu ackbar

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Is that kinda what a drone strike looks like from the receiving end? Only without the shooting-back part?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Seriously it's the phrase for all occasions.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Smoke Crack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVkwltV1_I

What is this from?

E: I guess the video title was more descriptive then I thought. The Boys from Company C.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077270/

Has anyone seen it? Any good?

It's not bad, kind of a proto Full Metal Jacket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmqlvnHGEY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

grover posted:

Is that kinda what a drone strike looks like from the receiving end? Only without the shooting-back part?

For a drone strike, just pretend the guys are checking their mail or pulling weeds or something and then that happens.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:staredog:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I was a bit shocked at how casually they walked around and in front if that muzzle. Then everything exploded

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Scratch Monkey posted:

I was a bit shocked at how casually they walked around and in front if that muzzle. Then everything exploded

Yeah I was waiting for that guy to shoot his buddy while he was loving around in front of the weapon then BOOM, death from above bitches!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

God is so great, He just blew up a bunch of my friends! Were they saying that all the time in the Libya videos too, or is it just a Syrian thing?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mortabis posted:

God is so great, He just blew up a bunch of my friends! Were they saying that all the time in the Libya videos too, or is it just a Syrian thing?

It's basically the islamic world's equivalent to using "oh my god" as an exclamation of shock, surprise, excitement, etc.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

Slashrat posted:

It's basically the islamic world's equivalent to using "oh my god" as an exclamation of shock, surprise, excitement, etc.

Which begs the question, does "oh my god" sound as creepy as "allahu ackbar" to non english speakers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's your American ALLAHU ACKBAR ALLAHU ACKBAR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdD9L06Nqo&t=33s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Inshallah bitches. Mufti and his friends were martyred fighting against the devil Assad. Allahu ackbar!

• Locked thread