Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Get tired of looking at your wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Divorced now. So Yes.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Due to high heat and no air conditioning. I claimed the coldest room in the office.

First step was an appropriate title;

And the layout itself

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cancelbot posted:

Due to high heat and no air conditioning. I claimed the coldest room in the office.

First step was an appropriate title;

And the layout itself

Would it have killed you to put the screens in the center of the table?:spergin:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
First thing I think about when I think Steve Jobs is a dark empty room filled with PCs an their cables visible.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

benisntfunny posted:

First thing I think about when I think Steve Jobs is a dark empty room filled with PCs an their cables visible.

Well, he'd approve of the dark empty room.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm not quite convinced that's how he actually worked, especially in his later years. But I'd be totally down for an electronics-free area of the house but that doesn't look like where his office would be.

Figured I should post something for once. It's my work office. No, I don't eat junk food normally, it's for the photo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

cstine posted:

Well, he'd approve of the dark empty room.

Or the fact that it was night time and he was a minimalist. That room would not be dark in the day time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

benisntfunny posted:

Or the fact that it was night time and he was a minimalist. That room would not be dark in the day time.

Those aren't windows, they're black anodized aluminium.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm not quite convinced that's how he actually worked, especially in his later years. But I'd be totally down for an electronics-free area of the house but that doesn't look like where his office would be.

What are those boxes Jobs is rocking on his desk. Look way too small to be a Macpro and then there's the black pc looking box.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Probably just external hard drive enclosures. Probably MacAlly, for the one that looks like a tiny Mac Pro.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
gently caress it; it does the trick:

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Daktari posted:

gently caress it; it does the trick:

The proportions of your tv/shelf are immensely appealing for some reason. There must be some golden ratio poo poo going on there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

While I still have more stuff to do (such as RMAing a bad memory module and a heatsink that was too big), it is at the point where it runs. It's not going to win any horse races, but it'll play today's games nicely, let me make lovely posts, and look pretty when I have guests. Silverstone Sugo SG05W-LITE with a cannibalized Samsung hard drive, HD6870 graphics card, i5-3570K processor, and 8GB of RAM. 16GB once the RMA goes through.

And a blue LED case fan because :pcgaming:.

It's smaller than some toasters. :3:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You sure make up for it with that mouse.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I wanna build me one of those some day. :( It's been so long since I've built a computer that I actually miss it after telling myself buying prebuit is enough.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Butt Savage posted:

I wanna build me one of those some day. :( It's been so long since I've built a computer that I actually miss it after telling myself buying prebuit is enough.

Prebuilt is never enough. You don't need to build fancy, but building your own, you get good parts (well, assuming you choose good parts) and a sense of satisfaction. Way better than any pre-build (unless its a local place that builds with quality stuff).

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Once the Haswell NUC debuts this month I'll be spamming the desktop builds thread with it.

Seriously, a computer that does everything really good without breaking is worth the $600 it costs to build.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Siochain posted:

Prebuilt is never enough. You don't need to build fancy, but building your own, you get good parts (well, assuming you choose good parts) and a sense of satisfaction. Way better than any pre-build (unless its a local place that builds with quality stuff).

And it's a lot less expensive, too.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Unfortunately my current needs are better suited by a laptop so it's just a pipe dream for now. But it really is satisfying to build your own and, even better, knowing exactly what your hardware is and its limits. Whenever I do build my next one, it'll definitely be Micro-ITX. That's more my style, these days.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
What's cable management? I have yet to figure out a great solution, but other than that, all I can say is that so many of you spend an awful long time at tiny, tiny tables.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

m5ind posted:

And with only the Dioder light on:

That's really nice but I feel like my eyes would die, do you use flux?

Also heres my desk

It's cozy I guess, no real room for much else.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Shogunner posted:

Also heres my desk

It's cozy I guess, no real room for much else.

How in the world do your use your left monitor like that? It must be like 12 inches away from your head and completely sideways looking at the keyboard/mouse placement.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Shogunner posted:

I previously had dual 28"s and even with flux I eventually got rid of them. It felt like I was sitting in front of the sun at night, even with the brightness fully down - I'd get the worst headaches.

I doubt I'll ever go taller than a 24" at this point. I'd love one of the insanely wide Dell 24s, I forget their actual dimensions.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

100% Dundee posted:

How in the world do your use your left monitor like that? It must be like 12 inches away from your head and completely sideways looking at the keyboard/mouse placement.

I usually have it pushed further out

vty posted:

I doubt I'll ever go taller than a 24" at this point. I'd love one of the insanely wide Dell 24s, I forget their actual dimensions.

Same here, I don't think I could handle anything larger than what I have now.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

And it's a lot less expensive, too.

Uh... it's been my experience that people start off with this intention, then proceed to rapidly blow their budget.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

krooj posted:

Uh... it's been my experience that people start off with this intention, then proceed to rapidly blow their budget.

Well that's what a sense of self control is for.

Then again... goons. Hey I think I'll take the 1TB drive AWW I COULD USE 3TB FOR ALL MY HENTAI I'LL GET THAT INSTEAD and maybe 8GB of RAM and SCRATCH THAT I NEEEED 32 GB OF THAT poo poo FOR 3 GAMES 67 WEB BROWSERS AND 4 HENTAI MOVIES AT THE SAME TIME and well let's go ahead and get the bang-for-buck deal video card gently caress IT MIGHT AS WELL GET THAT $700 MOTHER loving MONSTER TRUCK CARD THAT NEEDS ITS OWN GENERATOR and...

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 30, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

A cheap folding table, an Ikea desktop with four metal legs attached, and a desk lamp, and there you go:

There is generally enough room for me to work with some ARM-based single-board computers (front-left corner of the table). I run video from the SBCs to a video capture dongle, and I display that on the two main monitors or the laptop. The laptop usually hangs out to my left, and I use it to run VMs and handle the debug cables that go to the SBCs. I also will occasionally tape a coat hanger to the desk lamp and then tape my phone to the hanger to suspend the phone's camera over the SBCs for capturing video.

The cat bed takes up some space, but it is a necessary evil. Otherwise, this happens:

Constantly.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

KennyG posted:

What's cable management? I have yet to figure out a great solution, but other than that, all I can say is that so many of you spend an awful long time at tiny, tiny tables.

Very nice space!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Duck and Cover posted:

That makes me feel better although I opted to pick it up at the furniture store I ordered it through. At least it wasn't http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/ prices.

My brother who is a woodworker just moved into town (Seattle) and when we happened to walk by the Urban Hardwoods store he just got angry at the prices he saw.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

My brother who is a woodworker just moved into town (Seattle) and when we happened to walk by the Urban Hardwoods store he just got angry at the prices he saw.

I was wrong about the price (IT was a different slab that was cheaper that I didn't go with) it was really $3175 but it's still not Urban Hardwood prices. Their google ranking and nicely laid out website probably helps a ton to sell even at their prices. Interestingly enough the better the website the higher the prices seem to be.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I was wrong about the price (IT was a different slab that was cheaper that I didn't go with) it was really $3175 but it's still not Urban Hardwood prices. Their google ranking and nicely laid out website probably helps a ton to sell even at their prices. Interestingly enough the better the website the higher the prices seem to be.

Also a lot of people out there just have a lot of money and don't care how they spend it. I was talking to one of the owners at my job the other day about a room in his house he is re-doing, so far he has two pieces of furniture and he has spent $35k already.

There are a lot of these people out there.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

100% Dundee posted:

Also a lot of people out there just have a lot of money and don't care how they spend it. I was talking to one of the owners at my job the other day about a room in his house he is re-doing, so far he has two pieces of furniture and he has spent $35k already.

There are a lot of these people out there.

That's ridiculous.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Does anybody know of a product or method to attach a VESA mount to a wire shelf? I'm turning a 6' x 2' wire shelf into a rolling computer desk since I'll be moving everything around constantly the next few months.

My only ideas so far have been mounting a board to the back with U-bolts and mounting on there. I'm not sure what kind of board to use. Don't want it too heavy (tipping hazard), or to look like complete crap (even though a rolling computer shelf isn't going to look the best on any day).
I'm more hoping that somebody sells a product that I can hang from one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandusky-WSHA...=I136A823VX9LTE
Barring that, I'm thinking I can buy two, space them properly, and somehow bolt a wall mount to them.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

With two of those hanger bars from Amazon, could you not just put washers on the bolts and put them through the wire into the monitor? Or buy some flatbar from Home Depot, and cut it to length and drill two holes?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
That's what I was planning, but with a mount I'd have a bit of adjustability.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Look at some of the Level Mount models on Amazon. They have several different things I imagine it would be easy to ghetto rig.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Triikan posted:

That's what I was planning, but with a mount I'd have a bit of adjustability.

Then do the same thing with a wall mount instead of directly to the monitor. Pick one with your desired level of adjustability, attach to the hanger rail with nuts,bolts, and some decent sized washers. Using two rails to better support the mount is a good idea.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Duck and Cover posted:

That's ridiculous.

Think about having an income/expenditure level such that $35k is acceptable disposable income. Not too ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Think about having an income/expenditure level such that $35k is acceptable disposable income. Not too ridiculous.

I'll make allowances from complicated pieces, antiques (I don't see the appeal), and pieces made of expensive and/or hard to work with materials. That being said $17500 for one piece is just baffling.