Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

nickmeister posted:

Well, I aim moving crouched, and not running. I'm using keyboard; with the controller, is it possible to move really REALLY slow? Because now I'm pretty much solely relying on the stun gun for takedowns.

It's not, from what I've seen. I think movement in this game was handled really sloppily. Sam just feels floaty and unresponsive. It reminds me of Conviction which is :cripes:. Honestly, I'm only at the second campaign mission and it's already disappointing. So far, it's just a linear succession of rooms for you to overcome with STEALTH!

The side-missions are much better though. So does the campaign pick up or will it stay a watered-down and linear Chaos Theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm... I should clarify, is there an easy way to deal with them while maintaining the Ghost playstyle? I've been trying to not kill anyone, which is why I've been sticking to the stungun. I'm also saving some cash to get the crossbow, that might make things easier.

I've mostly been trying to maintain a strict ghost playstyle, where I don't even knock anyone out, or leave anything behind in the world if I can avoid it. (Just because I find that playstyle the most challenging and rewarding. I'm not one of those role playing guys)

But I generally knock dogs out. It is definitely possible to sneak past them with patience but it's very, very difficult. (The private estate mission is a good example here). The time you spend trying to sneak past them will cut into your time bonus, so it's only worth it if you're aiming to get the best ghost score possible. (Which is probably what I'll do on my next play through)

You'll still get ghost points for it as long as they haven't detected you when you knock them out. As with human NPCs there are tons of ways to do that. Hand to hand/death from above, as long as you have non-lethal mode selected. Tri-rotor sticky shocker darts, crossbow/tazer, sleeping gas, proximity shocker.

If you do want to sneak past them, usually you have to keep your distance. Try to mark them to keep track of them and wait until their patrol route takes them miles away from your chosen route.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The prototype assault rifle is borderline broken, mow down like 4 dudes from right in front of them without getting spotted. Yes.

Tazzillekki posted:

It's not, from what I've seen. I think movement in this game was handled really sloppily. Sam just feels floaty and unresponsive. It reminds me of Conviction which is :cripes:. Honestly, I'm only at the second campaign mission and it's already disappointing. So far, it's just a linear succession of rooms for you to overcome with STEALTH!

The side-missions are much better though. So does the campaign pick up or will it stay a watered-down and linear Chaos Theory?

What, you have a fast/slow walking button that defaults to a toggle. If you set it to hold, it flips to acting as a slowdown. I recommend this, you don't need to go REAL slow often and theres no need to track what its set to since it doesnt actually say onscreen or change your stance untill you actually move.

If you hold that down though, sam will go slow enough nothing gets set off.

Also yes, campaign picks up/opens up quite a bit. Maybe never up to chaos theory levels, but lots better that the first few levels.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2013

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Knocked out some intense co-op with Walken today. Fun stuff man. If anybody else wants to do some co-op, add me. GT: whatspeakyou85.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

whatspeakyou posted:

Knocked out some intense co-op with Walken today. Fun stuff man. If anybody else wants to do some co-op, add me. GT: whatspeakyou85.

For all the goofy movement animations I ran into at first - when you fluidly move through a room dodging two guys and stealth killing a third, or three in a row spy kills defending the hacker in a match - it's a beautiful thing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Do ATS goggles do a drat thing? I haven't see anything ping up on them yet.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I haven't used them but the people I play with have also said they haven't really seen anything on them. RFD or whatever is way better.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If you're like me and want to replay sc1 or pandora tomorrow on pc, save yourself the trouble and play them on a console, seems that no matter how hard you tweak the config files, these two games look and play better on consoles. I have them running side by side right now. (Plugged in my original xbox) Even if you get it working, the pc port has clearly inferior lighting and shadows to the xbox version. That reverses when you get to chaos theory which actually still looks quite good. That engine was ahead of its time.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 25, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm liking this game but I'm going to parrot all the people that say the game feels off. Everything feels so clunky and slow, as if not-Sam is moving through sludge all the time.

They nailed the customization, though. That's one thing I loved from Conviction. I still think Conviction is my favorite out of the two newer games, because while it was a wild step away from what was previously a very difficult stealth title, it did what it wanted to do well. This feels like someone tossed the devs a couple sheets and told them to cover a baseball field with it. Yeah, you can probably get to all of the bases, but you're gonna be missing a lot between.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 25, 2013

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm replaying conviction today and I've forgotten how hilariously unnecessary the upgrade system is.

yes, let me upgrade all these unsilenced weapons that will never, ever be useful to me.

Also, I fell out my chair laughing when I got to the third echelon level. That level has, among other things, a big honkin' THIRD ECHELON logo on all the doors and a friggin receptionist who says "Welcome to third echelon!"

Jesus, what a clusterfuck.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'll never forget that level because I had to watch Sam tell that lady that he used to work there about 20 times because I kept loving up my attempt at being stealthy in that game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ethanol posted:

If you're like me and want to replay sc1 or pandora tomorrow on pc, save yourself the trouble and play them on a console, seems that no matter how hard you tweak the config files, these two games look and play better on consoles. I have them running side by side right now. (Plugged in my original xbox) Even if you get it working, the pc port has clearly inferior lighting and shadows to the xbox version. That reverses when you get to chaos theory which actually still looks quite good. That engine was ahead of its time.

I was actually playing the original SC on PC today. I beat it a while back on Xbox when it came out, but I can't really remember what it looked like though.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

Note: if you are going to be a decoy. Be be careful not to drop a sticky cam at your feet as you are running in front of two mercs dropping emps and flash bangs at your feet in an attempt to lure them away. The results sometimes work. But it may also lead to getting your head blown off while you stare at the sticky cam at your feet. :(

Edit: unless I'm missing something they don't give you many places to hide at these checkpoints. Especially hospital. Also I'm really digging this lighting engine.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 26, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hel posted:

I never played it but wasn't that what Endwar was supposed to be? Also, I believe I read somewhere that the SC universe is explicitly separate from the rest of the Tom Clancy stuff, probably because it was the first non-TC TC product.
The early SC stuff was definitely overseen by Tom Clancy - I remember originally Ubisoft wanted the game to be set decades in the future (rather than "15 minutes into the future" like most TC stuff is) and Clancy vetoed it, and he originally wanted to veto the tri-goggles as being "unrealistic" but Ubisoft convinced him that they'd be a really distinctive and iconic visual marker for the series (they were right). Clancy didn't like the idea of goggles that could do both thermal and nightvision in one set of goggles, he thought it was unrealistic. It took some time after the first game came out, but thermal/nightvision goggles do exist in real life. :v:

As for the universes being separate... it's more due to different teams working on the games without coordinating with each other, but some of the franchises reference each other better than others do. HAWX references both Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon references HAWX, Rainbow Six references Splinter Cell, but I'm not sure that Splinter Cell explicitly references anything else. There's also not exactly a tight "timeline" of when stuff takes place, especially if you start comparing games to each other.
Part of the "problem" is that without the games' writers coordinating with each other, you've got each game in the series dealing with a Major Global Threat and nobody in the other games seems to remember any of it happening, even if they explicitly reference each other's organizations. Like there's a huge attack on Washington DC in HAWX, and there's also an attack on DC in SC: Conviction. Meanwhile you've got an enormous terrorist op in the R6: Vegas games, and as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, having Fourth Echelon dealing with The Engineers in Blacklist doesn't make nearly as much sense as having, say, Team Rainbow or the Ghost unit deal with it. And then if R6: Patriots is any indication, there's going to be another huge terrorist hit on New York City or something like that.

I haven't played Endwar, but as I understand it that game has sort of been retconned out of the Clancyverse anyway - HAWX was the game that alluded to it the heaviest (since HAWX and Endwar came out close to each other) but then later games like HAWX2 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier ignored it wholesale.

I mean this is a ton of nerdy :words: about Clancy videogames but I find the "shared universe" idea they've created really interesting and I think there's a lot of potential for really, really cool storytelling if they'd coordinate the games better. I can't think of any other game/media franchise that allows for intermingling storylines other than, say, Star Wars. And the groundwork is already there for the Clancyverse games, with all of the games being made by the same overall development company (Ubisoft), and the games half-heartedly referencing each other on occasion.

whatspeakyou posted:

Just shot you a friend request. Gamertag is Xenomrph 01.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, I fell out my chair laughing when I got to the third echelon level. That level has, among other things, a big honkin' THIRD ECHELON logo on all the doors and a friggin receptionist who says "Welcome to third echelon!"

Jesus, what a clusterfuck.
Wait, Conviction had an upgrade system? I don't even remember that.

Speaking of which, if anyone on the 360 wants to do the co-op campaign in Conviction with me, I'm all for it. :ninja::hf::ninja:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

I'm still using GT: Dvlos if anyone wants to add. Also using clan tag OldG for "old goons" cuz I'm not sure what else to call us.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, Conviction had an upgrade system? I don't even remember that.

It was pretty basic, you earned money from in-game achievements and could buy addons for weapons like laser sights and suppressors , as well as more armour, gadget slots and camos for the different outfits.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Night vision seems pretty useless in this game. I turned gamma all the way down and feel like I never have to use greenout mode at all.

Not that it matters since most missions occur in the daylight for some reason.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

This is my first Splinter Cell game, and I die about ~20 times every mission on normal difficulty. Is there a "stealth for dummies" list I should read? Or am I just really bad?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

rocode posted:

This is my first Splinter Cell game, and I die about ~20 times every mission on normal difficulty. Is there a "stealth for dummies" list I should read? Or am I just really bad?

You probably have to slow your pace down and do more observing probably use the mark and execute and assault style play to get used to the mechanics first. Then try being undetected.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
On now if anyone wants to hit up some co-op! Looking forward to trying out this silenced shotgun. :black101:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dvlos posted:

You probably have to slow your pace down and do more observing probably use the mark and execute and assault style play to get used to the mechanics first. Then try being undetected.

I am impressed with how challenging they made it. It's probably due to the assault play style being viable so they had to add more enemies to balance that but speaking as someone who's beat the first 3 games like 5 times they did a good job.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
We should keep a google docs spreadsheet of gamertags for each platform so we can friend each other. Any dudes playing on PC are free to send Sarcophallus an invite on the Uplay poo poo. I'll be on sometime after 5 most weekdays.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I was expecting to play only the SvM Classic mode, but the SvM Blacklist mode is pretty fun in an arcadey sort of way.

I've spent way more time on the Blacklist mode than Classic mode as a result.

Gadget chat:

My current favorite gadget combo is Smoke Grenade + Trophy System for spy. I started out just using EMP Grenades, but found that everything the EMP grenades could do, the Trophy System just seemed to do better (aside from destroying mines, which is easily accomplished with my pistol.)

I messed around with Flashbangs for a bit, but I like the Smokes better due to not having to worry about my opponent having a piece of gear to negate it, and also due to the fact that the Smokes are effective at any range of engagement, whereas the Flashbangs seem to have to be right up in the merc's face to be effective.

For Merc I prefer Mines and whatever else. The little spy detector doesn't seem to have a large enough range to be worthwhile (and every Spy ever has the ghost helmet equipped, it seems, making it completely worthless against them). I kinda waffle between Frag Grenades and Gas Grenades for my other slot.

Also, if you haven't tried the EMF Goggles out for Spy in SvM yet, do so. They're pretty great. Easily my favorite goggles to use. I used to stick to Sonar, but EMF seems to have almost as much range, a persistent display (instead of having to wait for pulses) and also show things like mines and drones to boot. They've got a very short "warmup" time when you turn them on, but it's very manageable. I prefer them over the thermal goggles because they have more range and are much easier to visually parse. I run around with them on almost constantly now. No mercs seem to even use the goggle detectors anyways.

So yeah, SvM Blacklist is really fun and you should try it! I was skeptical, but it has swayed me. Deathmatch mode is still loving stupid as hell, though.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Is training ground always so lopsided I'm goin against people rank 20+ non stop

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Skater h8er posted:

Is training ground always so lopsided I'm goin against people rank 20+ non stop

Matchmaking is complete poo poo, and the only balancing metric going on is mixing teams to get the minimum difference in average level. Best of all, that only happens so long as no one is partied together, because in that case you're just boned.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
Used my new favorite Merc class tonight to great effect. I call it the MineWeeper. With Mines and an ammo pack you can have 8 out at once. Literally put them everywhere. Profit.

I also ran into the glitch tonight that turns you into an invincible teleporting ragdoll that can tear poo poo up! I think we cycled 3 full groups in one match.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
I've been surprised by how good this game is. I don't really understand the 'meh' reactions. It's been so long since I played Conviction and the other Splinter Cells that I barely even remember Ironside or why people get so worked up over him. They're just video game voice actors.

The level design is solid, there are tons of useful gadgets, the AI reminds me of Arkham City and I even enjoyed the plot for what it was, even if the terrorists were a lot more competent and likable than most of the heroes, which seems to be a problem in the genre. The villains have more characterization and more developed motivation than the main characters. After all, the leader of the heroes is a mass-murdering terrorist recently reinstated, the president is an idiot, the Secretary of Defense is a wussy old man, and the best voice actor is the main villain.

The co-op is really well put together ignoring some of the bugs, including a gamebreaking one in the last Briggs mission. I'm enjoying the stealth in this a lot more than I did Dishonored, just as a stealth game. Blinking around makes Dishonored way too easy. This is closer to games like Thief, MGS, or the old Splinter Cells. The maps all have a bunch of different routes to take and the three different playstyles are all well articulated.

One issue though is that the upgrade system is entirely pointless. There are a couple guns that are just "the best guns in every way" and you just use those and there's no reason to use anything else. I didn't mind Conviction too much, so I liked that this game is sort of a blend of the old ones with that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think Blacklist is definitely a good Splinter Cell game. Although, keeping Sam Fisher on when he looks nothing like he used to and talks nothing like he used to is a questionable choice.

I don't know why people think the jingoism stuff is kicked up in this one. The old ones were pretty bad about that stuff as well.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

DarkSun6890 posted:

Used my new favorite Merc class tonight to great effect. I call it the MineWeeper. With Mines and an ammo pack you can have 8 out at once. Literally put them everywhere. Profit.

I also ran into the glitch tonight that turns you into an invincible teleporting ragdoll that can tear poo poo up! I think we cycled 3 full groups in one match.

This was a blast tonight. I'm going to save up cash to do the exact same thing. If the 4 of us did this, we'd have 3 nodes on lockdown I think.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DarkSun6890 posted:

Amen to that, the ragdoll glitch was hilarious.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Is it just me or is there no way to manually change grenade types when playing as Merc in classic? I checked the keybindings and mashed the keyboard, but it seems like it only changes from Frag to VX once you're out of frag grenades.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
My uplay tag is ahkana (steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/nakyrules/), but if you hate no mic fags then you're gonna hate me. I don't play a whole lot but it'd be nice to do some games with some people who aren't straight up retarded like I am.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Naky posted:

no mic fags

Don't be the guy that talks like this, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

e: forgot the real reason I came to post, which is "gently caress the final boss fight." They jam some lovely QTEs in that are kind of awkward and as a result I wound up fighting Sadiq about 30 times before finally realizing that you have to hold aim for like 3 seconds before it goes into the shoulder and you can shoot him.

Between that and the lovely laser/climbing puzzles near the beginning of the final mission, the game ended on a more sour note than it should have.

Still, loved the game, although I enjoyed Conviction quite a bit as well. I need to play more side missions and try out Spys vs Mercs, never played it on a console before.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 26, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

E4C85D38 posted:

Is it just me or is there no way to manually change grenade types when playing as Merc in classic? I checked the keybindings and mashed the keyboard, but it seems like it only changes from Frag to VX once you're out of frag grenades.

Hit the number keys, everything has a bind up there.

quote:

I don't know why people think the jingoism stuff is kicked up in this one. The old ones were pretty bad about that stuff as well.

I think having your protagonist being cynical as hell about it changes how it comes across a lot though. Sam always seemed aware he was doing a job that was deeply hosed up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite character moment is completely optional. But in the first mission in Chaos Theory you can cut down Morgenholt's body after they've tortured him to death. And Grim or Lambert say something like "Stop Sam, you can't leave any evidence behind!"

And then Fisher says "He's a human being."

It's not amazing, earth shattering character work. But there are several moments in the first three games that point to Sam having self-awareness.

And replaying Conviction, that's what stands out. Take out the pisspoor level design in the single player campaign, and there's a bunch of great revamped ideas floating about. Much as I loved the original Splinter Cells, they were always of niche appeal. Slow, steady, and practiced - I could see why they wanted a faster more efficient Sam Fisher. Unfortunately, they put him into the worst 'government conspiracy' B-grade schlock imaginable.

Conviction's plot really is far more hacky than I remember. I had somehow blotted out the entire last act of the game, which attempts to add pathos to the exploitation of levelling Washington DC without a scintilla of restraint.

But what really stings is Sam Fisher's new "attitude." There's a moment in the first level where a guard says "I won't talk" and then Sam says "Yes, you won't." and then snaps his neck for NO drat REASON.

Or later, Grim has to remind Sam not to kill the innocent policemen in front of him. Because hell, Sam's edgy and poo poo.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

ShineDog posted:

I think having your protagonist being cynical as hell about it changes how it comes across a lot though. Sam always seemed aware he was doing a job that was deeply hosed up.

This. I got in a bit of an argument about this part of Sam's character with someone and they said "So he kills people for the government for decades and is cynical and jaded about it? That's not exactly an original idea." But for Sam, it was, because in almost every game ever, a main character in the same position DOESN'T think that way about what they're doing. They just roll along and never question orders.

Like someone said in the thread earlier, "Old" Sam would've scoffed at the idea of breaking into Guantanamo Bay to have a ten minute conversation with a detainee. New Sam brags about it.

Namaste fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 26, 2013

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:

3 Stacked Midgets posted:

I've been surprised by how good this game is. I don't really understand the 'meh' reactions. It's been so long since I played Conviction and the other Splinter Cells that I barely even remember Ironside or why people get so worked up over him. They're just video game voice actors.

Going to agree with this. I don't really remember much about Conviction (:v:) (e: other than, gently caress that carnival level) and didn't play Double Agent. Other than that, it's been almost 8 years since the last time I played Chaos Theory (which I played the gently caress out of). It's just been too long for me to really care, especially when the actual game is this fun and looks this good. I do wish it was easier to pretend that the main character is someone new, as has been suggested in the thread.

versus fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 26, 2013

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really wish Grims no alert missions loving checkpointed, holy rear end.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
I played SC1 and CT before all this, and as part of buying blacklist on steam i got conviction as well.

I tried playing conviction and tbh didn't really like it all that much, infact when blacklist released on steam out i tried playing it for a few minutes just to see what it was like and liked the gameplay, atmosphere and mulitplayer soo much, i just gave up on conviction.
The way that you can change your playing style is great. Combat and stealth play is done really well - far better than any previous game IMO.

Also, i too am not missing Ironside. I thought he was ok, but nothing special.

Finally got through all of grimm's missions - they were very tense and fun.
I must've redone that last boat mission so many times - almost always messing up either the the last climb past the 3 guys or capture near the start of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

versus posted:

Going to agree with this. I don't really remember much about Conviction (:v:) (e: other than, gently caress that carnival level) and didn't play Double Agent. Other than that, it's been almost 8 years since the last time I played Chaos Theory (which I played the gently caress out of). It's just been too long for me to really care, especially when the actual game is this fun and looks this good. I do wish it was easier to pretend that the main character is someone new, as has been suggested in the thread.

Like I barely remember what Pandora Tomorrow was even about. There was a really dark airport? There were bad men in it? I remember trying to ghost (no kills/knockouts) the old Splinter Cells and not really finding that the game supported it. Blacklist definitely does. I did like being able to variably control speed with the mouse wheel (the speed system in Blacklist is kind of weird in that there's walk, slow walk, and sprint, and it's irritating to toggle), but it's not that big of a deal. The whole design convention that had shadows being actually pitch black and needing to use the goggles all the time wasn't that enjoyable.

• Locked thread