Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Also, Apple proper isn't the only place that sells BTO models. I bought mine from B&H Photo (no tax outside of NY), there's also MacMall.
B&H looks not bad. With the student discount and $100 iTunes card Apple's still a bit better deal, even after tax, at lest for the 128/8/i5 configuration. I just have to decide before 9/6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Tip of the Day:

Setup a Shared Photostream that you only share with yourself.
Name it "Wallpaper and Screensavers" or something
Set it to be the rotating wallpaper and screensaver on all your Macs.
Set it to be the screensaver on your Apple TV.

Now you have the same photos as screensaver and desktop wallpaper on all your screens (except iOS which doesn't let you have screensavers or rotating desktops)

Want to add another photo? Just drag it into the stream from iPhoto or add it from your iPad or iPhone

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm really hoping somebody here has a clue.

Basically, a while back I tried to use Disk Utility in 10.6 to repartition without erasing data. I cancelled the operation and the space I set aside for the new partition is just permanently gone. DaisyDisk shows a 116.9GB system file that it can't access even when I scan as administrator. I've googled around a bit, and there's all these paths they say to erase in Terminal, but none of them have worked for me. Am I going to have to migrate all the files off my storage drive, erase, and migrate them back on?

edit: the obvious fix turns out to be the one I overlooked. Booting on to the OS DVD and repairing the storage disk got me my space back.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 25, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I was gonna suggest trying Gparted, but a fix is a fix.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So it turns out that you can dismiss Mountain Lion notifications by clicking and dragging them off to the right. This is especially great for the notifications that don't have a dismiss button - I'm looking at you App Store.

My girlfriend, not a computery person, taught me this. Mind blown. Is this move widely known?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Lexicon posted:

So it turns out that you can dismiss Mountain Lion notifications by clicking and dragging them off to the right. This is especially great for the notifications that don't have a dismiss button - I'm looking at you App Store.

My girlfriend, not a computery person, taught me this. Mind blown. Is this move widely known?

You can also swipe them off.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

SeventySeven posted:

Anyone tried ReadKit for RSS (feedly in particular)? I'm curious about how it stacks up to "dedicated" RSS apps as I'm angsty about Reeder not being updated yet.

I use it with Feedly. Love it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone using (the latest) VLC having problems with it auto-fullscreening on launch? It does this every drat time when I launch it no matter what I do with the options or whether or not it was fullscreened or windowed when I last shut it off.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Weird issue I just noticed; I have some folders mapped in my desktop background selection pane that I deleted a while ago. I removed them from the pane (by selecting them and clicking the - button), but every time I reopen the pane, the listings return with a hollow square dashed line icon associated.

How do I get rid of these listings?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone using (the latest) VLC having problems with it auto-fullscreening on launch? It does this every drat time when I launch it no matter what I do with the options or whether or not it was fullscreened or windowed when I last shut it off.

I would just suggest you use MplayerX instead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SRQ posted:

I would just suggest you use MplayerX instead.
I do use it, but I can't fullscreen anything with it and anything HD goes out of sync with the audio. At least VLC gets updates once in a while despite the annoying bug I mentioned.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

You can't? Always had fullscreen for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SRQ posted:

You can't? Always had fullscreen for me.
I can fullscreen it but it has vsync issues and won't use its own space. VLC works fine with everything aside from the fullscreen issue.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

You must be using an older version or something, I can run it in a full screen space just fine.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nope. 1.0.17 which was last updated nearly a year ago. I've always had the same issue with MplayerX, probably hardware-related.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Well I wish I was more helpful then, at least I kept the thread on page one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SRQ posted:

Yeah 10.9Dp6 is amazing at this point.
Snow Leopard is back, in Tim form.
I just really wish it would go gold already, I want to reinstall OSX on a new SSD on my MacBook, to hell with using 10.8- So that means I have to install all 5 updates after installing 10.9DP1. Understandable for a beta but hella annoying.
Take my money Tim, take it.

Not happening till they fix my serious bug with 10.9 :colbert:

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Anyone having problems with apple mail using a lot of CPU time? I can't even tell what it's doing to max out a core, but it's definitely doing it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Never had any playback problems with Movist, App Store version. It gets regularly updated too and it's keeping my old 2009 PlasBook with its now-anemic nVidia 9400M a viable playback option.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

You Am I posted:

Not happening till they fix my serious bug with 10.9 :colbert:

Yeah, I just had a hilariously awful one myself. Bad enough to make me glad I didn't install it as my main OS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My macbook pro has locked out the internal speakers and won't output any sound. This has happened to me before (it always seems related to plugging iphone headphones into it for an extended amount of time) but it is usually something I can fix by restarting the computer. This time it's not working though. The computer doesn't even seem to be aware that it has speakers all of a sudden, so I can't fix it through system preferences or anything. What the gently caress?

Edit: To be clear, the output is set to "digital device" and there is no option to select the internel speakers.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 26, 2013

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Take it to the fruit stand, sounds like the hardware is messing up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

NESguerilla posted:

My macbook pro has locked out the internal speakers and won't output any sound. This has happened to me before (it always seems related to plugging iphone headphones into it for an extended amount of time) but it is usually something I can fix by restarting the computer. This time it's not working though. The computer doesn't even seem to be aware that it has speakers all of a sudden, so I can't fix it through system preferences or anything. What the gently caress?

Edit: To be clear, the output is set to "digital device" and there is no option to select the internel speakers.

Could be corrupted firmware settings. Try a PRAM reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

since PRAM is where speaker volume is stored, and if that doesn't work try a SMC reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Also when you say "isn't aware it has speakers", do they even show up in the list when you run the "Audio MIDI Setup" app?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

NESguerilla posted:

This happened to me recently on my 3 week old Air and happened on my old rear end Pro from 2007 occasionally. As stupid as it sounds I have had success plugging in and unplugging the headphones multiple times until it stopped optical outting. YMMV but you may want to try that for a while and see what happens.

EDIT: or if the system settings are broken maybe try plugging the headphones in and then rebooting it if the plug/unplug trick is not giving you anything to work with.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I wonder if the Hackintosh virtual sound card could clean up his problem (VoodooHDA.kext)?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw the plug/unplug thing on google and it was the first thing I tried and the PRAM reset was a good call (it's fixed a handful of problems for me in the past)but, unfortunately neither worked. I should have known not to plug iPhone headphones into my macbook. They always gently caress it up. Just wanted to watch a movie on a plane dammit.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 26, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I saw the plug/unplug thing on google and it was the first thing I tried and the PRAM reset was a good call (it's fixed a handful of problems for me in the past)but, unfortunately neither worked. I should have known not to plug iPhone headphones into my macbook. They always gently caress it up. Just wanted to watch a movie on a plane dammit.

99% sure that the switch inside the audio out jack is hosed to some degree. As long as a Mac thinks there is something plugged in there it becomes the default system audio output and as far as I know there is no way to override it back to the internal speakers. I'd recommend trying the plug/unplug method a few more times or using something like a toothpick or q-tip to try to get the switch unstuck (google for methods).

If it's well and truly hosed the only option is a logic board replacement, if I recall correctly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have a problem with iTunes making hundreds of temp library files? I can't figure out what causes it, I've looked at all the things to try on Google, and disabled the program I used to scrap for lyrics thinking that might cause it. But even exporting the library, deleting the preferences, and then re-importing the library will not stop these files from springing up.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Does anyone have any suggestions for cool apps or what have you? I got the $100 ($50? I can't even remember) app store giftcard for buying an Air with a student discount, but I graduated in May so I don't have any student-related needs, and I already have the entire Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, so I don't need any kind of editing software or word processors or anything. I don't really know what to do with it but I'd rather spend it than sell it, in case there's something cool or valuable that I'm missing out on.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

XCOM and save a little for when Mavericks is out.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Get Logic Pro X for $100 instead of $200. That's what I did!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Use $25 of it to pay for a year of iTunes Match if you don't have it.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

I'm looking through the documentation in Carbon Copy Cloner about making a bootable backup of my HDD to an external drive. It says in there not to buy Western Digital external drives for this as they're not always bootable on Mac. I'm thinking of getting this one. Have any of you had experience with making bootable backups? What drive should I be looking for? I have ~500GB to back up.

Time for a dumb question: if I backup and make a bootable copy of my Macbook Pro's drive, does that mean I can boot from that drive from a MacBook Air without having to copy over everything to it? It will just treat the external drive as the boot drive? Is USB3.0 fast enough for this?

jototo fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 27, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a 2.5" Hitachi USB 3.0 drive that I can boot from that I use for Time Machine.

USB 3.0 will be plenty fast - USB 2.0 is actually usable if you boot from an SSD

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
What do cloned hard drives say to each other when they meet via network? Can they coexist, trade, and share network resources like printers in peace? Or must one die for the other to live. A question of philosophy and computer science.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Deathmatch would happen.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Oneiros posted:

I'd recommend trying the plug/unplug method a few more times or using something like a toothpick or q-tip to try to get the switch unstuck (google for methods).

I second this recommendation. I had the same problem on an older MacBook Pro and was resigned to the speakers never working again. Then I shined a flashlight into the port and saw the problem spot. On my old 2006 model, there was a little raised switch in the back that had gotten stuck. Pushing that switch back down with a toothpick fixed the problem and it never happened again.

Obviously be careful jamming things into your electronics. In my case, it required almost zero effort or pressure to push the thing back into place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Siguy posted:

I second this recommendation. I had the same problem on an older MacBook Pro and was resigned to the speakers never working again. Then I shined a flashlight into the port and saw the problem spot. On my old 2006 model, there was a little raised switch in the back that had gotten stuck. Pushing that switch back down with a toothpick fixed the problem and it never happened again.

Obviously be careful jamming things into your electronics. In my case, it required almost zero effort or pressure to push the thing back into place.

Toothpick fixed it in about 2 seconds. :cool: Thanks!

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
So I'm having a problem in Airmail. Today I tried to send an email and I was getting an smtp error. I googled some solutions but none seemed to be on point. I deleted the account and tried to add it again but now I can't get it to add. There's a constant smtp error, with the occasional imap error (although I don't have two step login enabled).

Anyone have/had this issue and were able to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

agarjogger posted:

What do cloned hard drives say to each other when they meet via network?
Totally thought you were about to make some kind of really corny joke when I read this first sentence. And I'm a little upset you didn't.