Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Do you guys come across a lot of flyers in your matches? I haven't played much since 6th edition, and I'm not sure how much AA I need to bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There's only 1 guy here who brings a flyer, everyone else only brings ground-pounders. I bring them occasionally with my IG, but never with my Dark Angels. The points are almost better just given up/away, rather than wasted on a DA flyer :v:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mukip posted:

Do you guys come across a lot of flyers in your matches? I haven't played much since 6th edition, and I'm not sure how much AA I need to bring.

If you're building an all comers list I'd have something in mind for AA but don't overdo it. A quad gun, a flyer of your own even some autocannon dreads are good.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Icon Of Sin posted:

There's only 1 guy here who brings a flyer, everyone else only brings ground-pounders. I bring them occasionally with my IG, but never with my Dark Angels. The points are almost better just given up/away, rather than wasted on a DA flyer :v:

This is unfortunately true. I don't think mine will ever leave my case.

Flyers are much less common now that Tau have the capability of bringing so much skyfire and interceptor on the table. I still bring 3 scythes when I play my Necrons, but it's not nearly as powerful as it once was.

If you are ever not sure, bring an Aegis. Don't forget that Interceptor works against any models that come in from reserve within range, not necessarily flyers only.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zhent posted:

Flyers are much less common now that Tau have the capability of bringing so much skyfire and interceptor on the table. I still bring 3 scythes when I play my Necrons, but it's not nearly as powerful as it once was.

I think this is one of the greatest parts about Tau, they effect my games even when they're not in it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man I love plasma; I stick it in as many units in my UMs, IW and Guard. Who cares if you lose a guy or two, its not that likely to happen and in the case of marines, you have a good chance of not dieing. And if its a guardsmen? Who cares, its just a guardsmen.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Finished my Decimator today. gently caress this thing is huge.

Maaaan, I'd totally do a Night Lords army if I could paint lightning bolts with any skill :negative:

It's a toss-up between Night Lords and Black Legion (using the regular CSM book, screw the supplement). Your paint job might push me towards Night Lords 'cuz that's a sweet color scheme.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Lightning isn't too hard if you've got enough colours to build up with. Here's an example with lava I used for my Paladin's nemesis weapons, but the principle is the same.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6438

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
It's more a lack of practice, and just never really 'getting' how lightning is supposed to look. Though I guess I could practice.

...hm. Maybe I could cheat using transfers.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Slimnoid posted:

...hm. Maybe I could cheat using transfers.

What? No man. Wikipedia lightning and practice on a piece of paper. Honestly, I think purple lightning would look really cool. Grab like three different colors of purple and then some light grey and then white and just make them increasingly smaller as you go inward. You don't even have to blend if you do it fine enough.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm painting a Ravenwing company banner and holy gently caress there's a ton of detail on it and what is this poo poo about doing it again on the other side :suicide:

It's not done, but I'm almost done loving with it. Tabletop/3-foot test it'll be alright, up close will be borderline atrocious though.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

I'll never not love this dude.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Mukip posted:

I too am getting back into it since 6 however I am building an all flying ig army. 3 valkyrie (one as a vendetta) with infantry squads and 2 vulture gunships. Command squad on the ground. Roughly 1k points.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I went to a doubles tournament about a month ago and of the six teams, mine was the only one without a single flyer. Today, I went into the same store, though didn't play, and I saw 0 flyers, but three Tau and two Eldar players out of seven players. I do enjoy the fast pace changing of the 40k meta, but it is a shame everyone seems to be flocking to the flavor of the month even more so now. Hope the SM and Nid codex are a hit so my Tau don't feel like the meta bully anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best thing is there will be a point where people go "no one takes flyers anymore!" and leaves their AA defenses at home, and then you come in with your squadron of Crimson Hunters.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Boon posted:

The [Eldar] list I used was this:

Forgive me, but why is the Banshee mask on an Autarch or Shining Spears now worth taking in 6th edition? The Autarch already has stupidly high initiative and grenades, and Shining Spears still don't have grenades, so what gives? Other than how great Spears are when you use them against targets in cover, that is (but an assault unit that is ruined by moving through a bit of cover is so worrisome that I sold them).

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I really like all those covers except the Templars one, maybe I can't see it well but it just looks bland to me. Also Ultramarines chapter tactics look less broken now that it's only once per game.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Smegmalicious posted:

I really like all those covers except the Templars one, maybe I can't see it well but it just looks bland to me. Also Ultramarines chapter tactics look less broken now that it's only once per game.

Where's the Templars one?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Haven't seen it yet.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Is the blurry rear end black marine not an assault Templar?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Asphyxious posted:

Where's the Templars one?

Phyresis posted:

Black Templar limited edition Codex cover - the dust jacket is Crimson Fists. P sure this is gonna be the one to get, if you're getting an LE.

Smegmalicious posted:

Is the blurry rear end black marine not an assault Templar?

That's a Raven Guard. Or an Iron Hands. IDK which one you are referring to.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Phyresis posted:

That's a Raven Guard. Or an Iron Hands. IDK which one you are referring to.

See, now that might be worth $30.

Edit: Though Templars are not supposed to have the Aquilla on their chests. We do not wear the symbol of the emperor, we are the symbol of the emperor!

Smegmalicious fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 26, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Post 9-11 User posted:

Forgive me, but why is the Banshee mask on an Autarch or Shining Spears now worth taking in 6th edition? The Autarch already has stupidly high initiative and grenades, and Shining Spears still don't have grenades, so what gives? Other than how great Spears are when you use them against targets in cover, that is (but an assault unit that is ruined by moving through a bit of cover is so worrisome that I sold them).

Banshee Mask drops the initiative of the target unit now by five, I'm pretty sure. So even if your unit doesn't have grenades you'll strike simultaneously most of the time which is pretty important for Shining Spears.

LordAba posted:

Why do people treat White Scars as all bikers? In most official White Scar army shots they usually have a mix of bikers, droppods, and rhinos which compliment their "move fast" background. Unless the old fluff had them all bikers?

It's true, they aren't all bikers but I think all bikes are pretty sweet and not everyone wants to be Raven Guard. Though taking a Rhino is always useful if you're time travelling back an edition and want to avoid :smugkroot:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Karandras posted:

It's true, they aren't all bikers but I think all bikes are pretty sweet and not everyone wants to be Raven Guard. Though taking a Rhino is always useful if you're time travelling back an edition and want to avoid :smugkroot:

That picture is still the best thing to come out of any tournament ever. Unfortunately you can only keep 50% of your army in reserve now so it can't ever happen again. :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Smegmalicious posted:

See, now that might be worth $30.

A full rulebook was worth $30 literally less than four years ago. Don't be a goddamn moron.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

That picture is still the best thing to come out of any tournament ever. Unfortunately you can only keep 50% of your army in reserve now so it can't ever happen again. :smith:

If I was GW I would throw in loving stupid in-joke rules like filling your mandatory choices with Kroot allows your opponent to reserve more than 50%

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Played as my friends Orks versus my Guard yesterday, excellent game. I lucked out with a 13" (red paint job) move, disembark, lucky 9" assault move into a contemptor dreadnought which was out of position and then a 6" consolidate to have the boss and mega armoured nobs in front of his lines turn 1, which basically caused it to collapse quickly as he couldn't muster enough shooting to take down targets reliably.

Mortars and Grenade Launchers were surprisingly effective - peoples opinions on them? The Griffon looked interesting, as it rerolls scatter and basically ignores cover as a barrage weapon (originating from centre hole). He took mortars in the static command squads and they wracked up some decent kills, though ap6...

When're the new marines officially announced? want to get my drop-pod on!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fix posted:

A full rulebook was worth $30 literally less than four years ago. Don't be a goddamn moron.

He shouldn't be in this hobby then. :v:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Lord Twisted posted:

Played as my friends Orks versus my Guard yesterday, excellent game. I lucked out with a 13" (red paint job) move, disembark, lucky 9" assault move into a contemptor dreadnought which was out of position and then a 6" consolidate to have the boss and mega armoured nobs in front of his lines turn 1, which basically caused it to collapse quickly as he couldn't muster enough shooting to take down targets reliably.

Mortars and Grenade Launchers were surprisingly effective - peoples opinions on them? The Griffon looked interesting, as it rerolls scatter and basically ignores cover as a barrage weapon (originating from centre hole). He took mortars in the static command squads and they wracked up some decent kills, though ap6...

When're the new marines officially announced? want to get my drop-pod on!

Mortars and grenade launchers are good against low save bunched up troops (Orks and Nids for example) but bounce off MEQs most of the time. They are however cheap, and you could potentially deploy a mortar squad miles away from anywhere, plink away at the enemy and see if you can peel an opposing unit out of position to go and deal with them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Since I'm only doing Warhammer for the painting, not being interested in playing (yet), and since I wanted to know about the history: Is the mini-rule book adequate for this? Does it include the "fluff" (which is what I'm looking for)?

EDIT: I mean, I assume this is what I'm talking about :

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 26, 2013

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Unfortunately it doesn't. It has a little tiny bit, but nothing close to the big rule book.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't. It has a little tiny bit, but nothing close to the big rule book.

I looked up the mini rulebook, and it doesn't look like it has that cover.
...What am I buying? Is that the full book then?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah, if you want the fluff and pretty pictures, get the hardback.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The picture you posted is of the mini-rulebook in the starter set. It's a soft back. The new mini-rulebook on the GW site is a hard back book and probably has the exact same content as the soft back from the starter. If you want the fluff section you want to get the full-sized rulebook. There isn't any other option for that. The book is massive and is full of pictures, artwork, and background information. It's also expensive. :v:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

The picture you posted is of the mini-rulebook in the starter set. It's a soft back. The new mini-rulebook on the GW site is a hard back book and probably has the exact same content as the soft back from the starter. If you want the fluff section you want to get the full-sized rulebook. There isn't any other option for that. The book is massive and is full of pictures, artwork, and background information. It's also expensive. :v:

Well, at least I didn't waste my money on it. :sigh:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Just spend a shitton of time drilling down into http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page before you buy a $75 rulebook just to read the (probably same) fluff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He could grab a 3rd edition rulebook for like 10 bucks shipped off Ebay. Those are packed full of fluff, though some of it's been retconned since.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

He could grab a 3rd edition rulebook for like 10 bucks shipped off Ebay. Those are packed full of fluff, though some of it's been retconned since.

Sorry for the ignorance (and for being annoying). Is the 5th edition any good on this issue? I found it for 16 bucks shipped so...

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

Sorry for the ignorance (and for being annoying). Is the 5th edition any good on this issue? I found it for 16 bucks shipped so...

totally, so long as it is the large, hard cover rulebook and not the soft covered small one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

Maaaan, I'd totally do a Night Lords army if I could paint lightning bolts with any skill :negative:

It's a toss-up between Night Lords and Black Legion (using the regular CSM book, screw the supplement). Your paint job might push me towards Night Lords 'cuz that's a sweet color scheme.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Lightning isn't too hard if you've got enough colours to build up with. Here's an example with lava I used for my Paladin's nemesis weapons, but the principle is the same.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6438

It's not that bad--I don't even build up. I start with a black basecoat, then I go over the model with Ultramarine/Altdorf Guard blue. After that I paint the Lightning bolts using a 10/0 brush with Skull white/White Scar. Then I start shading the areas around the Lightning Bolts with Drakenhof Nightshade, leaving some Altdorf Blue around the bolts and receding further with each layering. I usually do 3 layers of Nightshade, then do a final layer with Nuln Oil to get the darkest spots. If I want to add some blue to the tips of the bolts, I'll come back and cover those areas with Guilliman Blue glaze.

I find that it's much faster to work this way than to layer up from black.

• Locked thread