Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Saliciouscrumb posted:

Can anyone savvy with multiple monitor setup help me out? The answers I get from googling this seems to be split 50/50.

I have a GTX 770 and I'm running 2560x1440 through DVI-D.

I have a TV in the living room which I'm connecting to the graphic card's HDMI port.

Now I also want to connect my old 22" screen to my computer as well - effectively running three monitors.

Since I already have my main monitor and TV connected to my graphics card, connecting another screen, after googling this, seems to require an active DVI adapter (so I've been told).

Now I checked my motherboard bios and it seems to be possible to enable the integrated graphics at the same time as having the dedicated graphics card enabled. Could I do this and connect the third screen to the motherboard connectors instead of buying the earlier mentioned active DVI adapter and run three screens at the same time that way?

If so, will having the integrated graphics on at the same time lower the performance of the computer/GTX770?

I only plan to game on the 2560x1440 and using the 22" screen for browsing and other minor stuff.

Yes, you can enable your integrated graphics and use it for another monitor.
Onboard graphics are perfectly fine for browsing the web, playing videos, and other 2D tasks.
It should have no effect on your performance unless you try to play 3D games on the monitor connected to the onboard graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Hey, I've been looking to upgrade my computer, mainly for gaming. My problem is that I don't want to necessarily buy all new parts, and I'm not sure which parts excactly are the bottlenecks.

I have an AMD Phenom2 965 4x3.6ghz for cpu and an ATI 4870HD for graphics. I'm pretty sure the card needs to go but what about the cpu? Is there some way I can check if its still powerful enough for the near future (~year) or if it needs to be replaced too?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

az posted:

Hey, I've been looking to upgrade my computer, mainly for gaming. My problem is that I don't want to necessarily buy all new parts, and I'm not sure which parts excactly are the bottlenecks.

I have an AMD Phenom2 965 4x3.6ghz for cpu and an ATI 4870HD for graphics. I'm pretty sure the card needs to go but what about the cpu? Is there some way I can check if its still powerful enough for the near future (~year) or if it needs to be replaced too?

If you can deal with the CPU this year, you could probably make it stretch to next year, but both it and the graphics card are bottlenecks. Buying all new parts is basically what you need to do to upgrade.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have my new PC, with a MSI motherboard and a GeForce 650Ti Boost hooked to my monitor and my TV, I switch to the TV when I want to play games, and it's been working great. Starting last night though, the bios seems to think the TV is the primary, it displays the bios setup screen and stuff there, and the first part of Windows 8's loading screen, and then once the desktop comes up, switches back to the monitor. Any idea why it is doing this (and why it started just last night) and how to stop it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't see a speakers / audio thread, any recomendations on a sub-$100 5.1 system? My current 2.1 Logitech speakers are at *least* 5 years old, maybe even older and they're crackling all the time and buzzing loudly. If possible, I'd love wireless, but wires aren't a deal breaker by any means. the only wireless 5.1 system on NewEgg's site was $300+. I was looking at these on Amazon here for $72.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This is probably very simple but how does a UPS notify everything plugged into it to shut down? I see a single USB but what about everything else plugged in?

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Sab669 posted:

I didn't see a speakers / audio thread, any recomendations on a sub-$100 5.1 system? My current 2.1 Logitech speakers are at *least* 5 years old, maybe even older and they're crackling all the time and buzzing loudly. If possible, I'd love wireless, but wires aren't a deal breaker by any means. the only wireless 5.1 system on NewEgg's site was $300+. I was looking at these on Amazon here for $72.

Nice 5.1 systems are expensive. That set you linked is probably fine for being under $100, but it'll basically sound like a bunch of cheap speakers.

Do you absolutely have to have surround sound? You would get much better sound quality out of a nice 2.0 system. You can usually pick up some M-Audio AV40's on sale for about $120.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, don't *need* 5.1 at all, just a heavy gamer, watch movies / TV shows on my computer primarily and of course music. Open to suggestions either way

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sellouts posted:

This is probably very simple but how does a UPS notify everything plugged into it to shut down? I see a single USB but what about everything else plugged in?

Basic ones just report mains-or-battery and what battery level is. Software on the PC, usually part of the OS, takes it from there, like on a laptop.

More advanced UPSes can deliver a lot more information.

Of course, without a separate data line to the PC (most people will see USB, but server/corporate stuff can come with RS232 (standard) or something proprietary (bullshit)), the UPS won't be telling it a drat thing.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 26, 2013

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

sellouts posted:

I think the expectation is that you don't have more than one thing plugged into the same UPS that needs a gentle shutdown, with most UPS devices. If you do have multiple computers attached and they're still not exceeding the rated wattage of the UPS, one possibility would be to run a script on the machine that's got the USB connection, to have it notify the other machines that it's time to shut down. I don't know how easy that would be in Windows, but it would be fairly trivial in Linux (the USB UPS driver already just runs a script, so making that script do "ssh --using-a-key-that-is-only-authorized-to-do-shutdown root@machine shutdown" for each other machine before calling its own shutdown wouldn't be a big deal.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks, that makes sense. It's for a (very small) network rack that would have a few OSX and linux servers and a NAS on it. I suppose I could script something on the connected computer, but wasn't sure if there was a protocol or something sent over the network that would do it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe related to my previous question, but my keyboard doesn't seem to be working in bios (delete should open the bios menu and F11 should open the boot menu but neither do anything). This worked a few weeks ago when I last needed to mess with this stuff, any idea what could have caused it to change?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe related to my previous question, but my keyboard doesn't seem to be working in bios (delete should open the bios menu and F11 should open the boot menu but neither do anything). This worked a few weeks ago when I last needed to mess with this stuff, any idea what could have caused it to change?
Try a different USB port. You may have the keyboard connected to one using a non-onboard USB controller and it may not be working outside of windows. Also check the BIOS to make sure legacy USB/keyboard options are enabled or set to auto.

edit: Sorry, meant to write that you should see if you can borrow a PS/2 keyboard to access the BIOS, but the post below your's covered it.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 26, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Try a different USB port. You may have the keyboard connected to one using a non-onboard USB controller and it may not be working outside of windows. Also check the BIOS to make sure legacy USB/keyboard options are enabled or set to auto.
I've tried every USB port I have. And how am I supposed to check the bios when as I said, I cant access the bios menus?

edit: this is my first new desktop PC in quite a while, are there ways nowadays to access bios settings from inside Windows?

edit: and I should have said from the beginning that this is all attempts to troubleshoot the fact that one of my two SSDs (thankfully not my system drive) has intermittently not been appearing to windows, or windows's partition manager. I checked the drive itself using Crystaldiskinfo as someone recommended, it reported no problems. My computer is rebelling against me like crazy these last few days and without being able to access the bios settings I'm pretty hamstrung.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 26, 2013

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've tried every USB port I have. And how am I supposed to check the bios when as I said, I cant access the bios menus?

You could try to reset the BIOS options with the jumper and see if that fixes anything. You could also try to find someone who will let you borrow a PS/2 keyboard and see if that works.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but my friend has a problem getting her Sony Bravia KDL-32R423A to work with her Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E-335 through HDMI on Win8 64-bit. The TV simply doesn't show up in the monitor list. She has the newest graphics drivers and I can't seem to find a driver for the TV anywhere on Sony's site. Any ideas?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SplitSoul posted:

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but my friend has a problem getting her Sony Bravia KDL-32R423A to work with her Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E-335 through HDMI on Win8 64-bit. The TV simply doesn't show up in the monitor list. She has the newest graphics drivers and I can't seem to find a driver for the TV anywhere on Sony's site. Any ideas?

What happens if you hit Win-P with it plugged in, and select "Duplicate" or "Extend?"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Space Gopher posted:

What happens if you hit Win-P with it plugged in, and select "Duplicate" or "Extend?"

I can only choose the laptop or the VGA monitor she has connected. I tried unplugging the monitor, but it makes no difference. Also tried both HDMI ports on the TV. AMD control panel can't find it, either. The TV simply isn't being detected.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SplitSoul posted:

This is a stupid question and I'm sorry.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Can you confirm the one you're using works?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is a stupid question and I'm sorry.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Can you confirm the one you're using works?

I haven't yet, that was going to be my next move, I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try in the meantime or something obvious I had missed. This is also my first experience with Win8 (hate it already), some things might've changed.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SplitSoul posted:

I can only choose the laptop or the VGA monitor she has connected. I tried unplugging the monitor, but it makes no difference. Also tried both HDMI ports on the TV. AMD control panel can't find it, either. The TV simply isn't being detected.

The video chipset on that system can only handle two displays at once. And, VGA wasn't ever really designed for hot plugging, so it's sometimes weird about detecting when it's been unplugged. I'd bet your problem is related to the VGA monitor - try unplugging it, using win-P to switch to "PC Screen Only," plugging in the TV, and using win-P to switch to "Extend" or "Duplicate."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

I haven't yet, that was going to be my next move, I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could try in the meantime or something obvious I had missed. This is also my first experience with Win8 (hate it already), some things might've changed.

Are duplicate and extend in the win8 video-out sidebar menu greyed out, or not there, or what? Have you tried loving around with refresh rates and resolutions?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I tried unplugging the external monitor, even though the laptop display was disabled, and restarted. No dice. Also tried every available combination of resolution and refresh rate. Also nothing.

There's no firmware update for the TV available and all drivers are up-to-date on the Lenovo.

What else is there to try if a different cable has the same issue?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SplitSoul posted:

I tried unplugging the external monitor, even though the laptop display was disabled, and restarted. No dice. Also tried every available combination of resolution and refresh rate. Also nothing.

There's no firmware update for the TV available and all drivers are up-to-date on the Lenovo.

What else is there to try if a different cable has the same issue?

A different HDMI display/TV, to see if it works with that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A different HDMI display/TV, to see if it works with that.

I'll bring it home and see if it works with my computer and TV. It's one of those cables with ethernet, so it might be a compatibility issue, I don't know.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

sellouts posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. It's for a (very small) network rack that would have a few OSX and linux servers and a NAS on it. I suppose I could script something on the connected computer, but wasn't sure if there was a protocol or something sent over the network that would do it.

Typically your UPS has an ethernet jack that you plug into your network that sends out a shutdown command to servers configured with a listener agent.

For example, APC makes UPSes with network management cards on them that allow remote monitoring and configuration of the device. In addition you can install agent software (PowerChute Network Shutdown) on your various servers that listen for a shutdown command issued from the UPS via the management card when a specific battery time has been reached.

This way all of your servers connected to this UPS can be shut down gracefully on a power event when none of them are directly connected to it via USB.

note: your $200 UPS probably doesn't have remote shutdown capability and is designed for a single device or multiple devices that can handle a non-graceful shutdown (routers, WAPs, switches, etc)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How long does thermal compound stay good in the tube? I'm going to have to apply new compound with my new system, and I'd rather not buy new if I didn't have to, but it's been a couple of years since the last time I used it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have an Ethernet cable run through my wall and I need to connect two computers to it. Will an Ethernet splitter work, not trying to spend 60$+ on a decent router.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

goodness posted:

I have an Ethernet cable run through my wall and I need to connect two computers to it. Will an Ethernet splitter work, not trying to spend 60$+ on a decent router.
You can run two 10/100mbit Ethernet connections down a single CAT5 cable with splitters at both ends (a cable has four pairs but only two pairs are used for 10/100). Gigabit does use all four pairs so would not work using this method. Alternatively you can just use a network switch, which is inexpensive and allows you to use a single cable for any number of devices.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Ok how would I go about setting it up with the splitters? A splitter on the end with the router, and 2 cables going from that to the router?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

goodness posted:

Ok how would I go about setting it up with the splitters? A splitter on the end with the router, and 2 cables going from that to the router?
Yep, exactly that. Though I would look at just buying a switch, it's a much better solution and they are dirt cheap.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Dirt cheap like 10-15$? Will they have them at Walmart do you think? And with a switch, I will be able to be connected on both computers at the same time?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

goodness posted:

Dirt cheap like 10-15$? Will they have them at Walmart do you think? And with a switch, I will be able to be connected on both computers at the same time?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

That is the exact switch I have (two of them infact) and I'm sure the cheaper ones work too. I think that was the cheapest gigabit switch at the time when I bought it. You will be able to hook 5 things to it (The router and two other devices) so yes, both computers will work on it....

Unless you don't have a router. You need a router to hook up two computers to the internet, unless you're paying for multiple IPs (most ISPs only give one public IP to residential customers)... You do have a router, right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Yes. The router is downstairs about 50 ft away. The Ethernet runs through the wall up to my room. I can plug the Ethernet switch in in my room and then plug the computers into it?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

goodness posted:

Yes. The router is downstairs about 50 ft away. The Ethernet runs through the wall up to my room. I can plug the Ethernet switch in in my room and then plug the computers into it?

Yes you can.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the help. Will update with success in an hour hopefully!

Edit: well they did not have splitters or switches so I had to get a wireless USB [the options weren't great for that either]. Will probably return it in a couple days and go to frys.

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 28, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

How long does thermal compound stay good in the tube?
As long as it has stayed sealed and away from heat/direct sunlight it should still be good to use.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

LCD Deathpanel posted:

As long as it has stayed sealed and away from heat/direct sunlight it should still be good to use.
The only note is that there can be some separation of the silicone oil and the ceramic particles suspended in it over time. If it's a blister-pack I massage it before I use them, but for tubes its probably not an issue, just note that if you're only seeing milky fluid come out rather than paste you should buy new stuff.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
What's the best way to get a USB cable to go to about 30-40ft? I understand there's signal degradation at anything over 5ft, and I saw either powered extenders or a USB to ethernet to USB converters as options, but I have no experience with either. I plan on using a keyboard and mouse over a distance to my desktop, which is displaying to a TV over HDMI back into the living room. My biggest concern is that I'll want to game on it, so response time will be critical. I'd prefer not to buy a wireless KB/M if possible as well, but I could if that's the most reliable way to go. Physically, there's only about 20 feet for so of open space, I'm just running the wires along the ceiling to make it neater, hence the absurd length of the cord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Takkaryx posted:

What's the best way to get a USB cable to go to about 30-40ft?
Buy the appropriate length active extension cable from here, the 49ft length is $16.60. If you only need 32ft you can get a 2-port cable so you don't need a hub at one end.

• Locked thread