Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

willie_dee posted:

How do I best condition my arms for boxing, my shoulders and upper arms give out way way to fast compared to the rest of my body lactic acid wise when I'm hitting the heavy bag or sparring, like, almost instantly if I have warmed up and hit pads before hand.

Take two plastic 0,5 liter coca cola bottles, drain of fluid (preferably by consuming fluid by drinking, good fast sugary carbs and chemicals which make your corpse preserve long inside) and fill bottles with sand. Grab one bottle with each hand. Then extend hands in the same manner as you would when throwing a jab or a cross, while holding sand filled bottle.

Repeat 500 times with both hands every morning. Or evening after you return from the office, exact time is not of huge relavance. In front of mirror, so you dont' slouch with technique and drop you hands from your jawline - especially when you return - because admit it: that's what we all do unless there is something specific that forces us not to do so.

Then do it with hook and uppercut, but for the love of baby black jesus don't try "throwing" punches with weights in you fists, sand filled, brick, actual coca cola, heroin or otherwise, just extend your limb through the same motion as it would when performing as strike.

If 500 isn't poo poo, do 1000. If 500 is too much, do as many as you can every second day until 500 is easy. Just keep the other hand at your jawline all day, if after a few weeks you don't notice your hands staying up like they never did before, you have somehow cheated.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
It is my opinion is that punching with weights will do very little to improve your endurance. It is not specific enough to the punching action. Same idea as running with ankle weights. It can actually harm performance gains by ingraining a slower and different movement pattern from punching without weights. The most I've seen good results with is 20oz gloves.

There are a couple studies that show similar results with other movements. One day I'm going to do a study on this to prove it and hopefully once and for all stop people from wasting their time.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I always thought shadowboxing with weights in your hands was bullshit because it screws up the dynamics of the punch and is only going to gently caress up your technique.

However, just doing a poo poo-load of slow punch motions, and keeping it a long way from your actual shadowboxing technique work, might be pretty good for building endurance? You'd think it would at least make it easier to keep your hands up when you're knackered and they're dropping.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

willie_dee posted:

How do I best condition my arms for boxing, my shoulders and upper arms give out way way to fast compared to the rest of my body lactic acid wise when I'm hitting the heavy bag or sparring, like, almost instantly if I have warmed up and hit pads before hand.

dont throw lovely arm punches. But basically, throw more volume (of punches) and don't suddenly stop for a week, do it on the reg.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Twist your core willie_dee, don't look to JT for inspiration, even though he's great he has miserable technique that your puny mortal body will not be able to brute force into working. It's all about doing it right over and over again for as long as you can and then doing it longer until you're done.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Goffer posted:

I was reading in the paper today about a 100 man karate fight / documentary today, and it made me think of this. The fight is supposed to be one man vs one hundred, for over 3 hours (fighting each opponent for 90 seconds or so).

Then I looked up who was doing it and suddenly it doesn't seem sooo implausible - http://vimeo.com/69409326

My main man mighty mouse johnson would unironically win a 100 man fight

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Can someone just flat out tell me which mouth guard to buy for BJJ? When I try to research it I just end up down a rabbit hole of terrible Sherdog opinions and bullshit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Can someone just flat out tell me which mouth guard to buy for BJJ? When I try to research it I just end up down a rabbit hole of terrible Sherdog opinions and bullshit.

I've used a $10 shock doctor mouthguard for many years and it's served me well. At the end of the day all it is is a piece of rubber that you're molding to your teeth so as long as it fits, it doesn't matter.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I kind of figured I was overthinking it a little.

mewse
May 2, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Thanks. I kind of figured I was overthinking it a little.

Boil and bites work but dentist-made mouthguards are the best, everything else is either personal bias or advertising

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You won't be taking a great many shots to the face with BJJ so most people use boily bites.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Of note, I got one of the dental ones made and my insurance covered all of it because it was cheaper to pay for one of those than fix anything going bad with my teef. Worth checking into, if cost is a concern.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sisu ones are pretty cool, used by notable zombie Chris Leben.

Also, the idea of holding weights and throwing techniques was taught to me as a good way to find out where you're dropping your hands when throwing something without someone watching you. Because the extra weight really exaggerates when you're not keeping your hand/s up and allows you to know where your holes are.

It doesn't have to be a mad endurance exercise. Just hold the weights up and throw some techniques you'll notice really fast when you're dropping your hands.

Then go back to shadow boxing and practising without the weights.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Thanks guys

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've tried the super cheap generic mouth guards and I do think its worth it to go slightly up market for the basic level nike or shockdoctor or whatever, but I think those super high end options from those brands are a waste of money since at that point you're better of going to a dentist.

The main thing is that its comfortable enough that you are willing to wear it all the time.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
One of the reasons I was once told it could help to occasionally simulate punches with weights is so you can better observe what you are doing wrong (or well), like turning your fist or whatnot for spazzes who can't think and move at the same time. A counter point would be to just punch and observe meticulously, weights or not or have a good coach, I know. We're also talking 1-2 lbs. Some oldschool coaches make you do that, or just hold your hands up with weights, a slightly different exercise, every chance they get - some never do it.

And it's always a complimentary exercise, shadow box, punch bag etc. normally all the time. Lt. Shiny-sides considers it a waste of time, and I won't argue with him, but I did one summer of extending my arms with weights every week about 2-3 times, and noticed an increase in endurace (both punching and holding hands up) which was significant enough to be more than psychosomatic.

Might have been something else I did during the time, might not, I wasn't really being observed by anyone else so with an actual trainer I won't say you can't get better results with heavy gloves (or something else), but it seriously didn't make my punching worse that's for sure. And for cardio kickboxers it's an easy way to break a sweat faster, than just make them shadow box :v:

edit: added bonus, someone tapping out to repeat leg kicks - when down on his guard, I don't think I've ever seen quite that before. Rasul has nasty low kicks which hurt over the internet, landing on someone else. The guy who taps might've been injured by one of the earlier kicks though but I'm not sure.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 27, 2013

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Ligur posted:

tapping out to repeat leg kicks - when down on his guard

:aaa: :iia:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ligur posted:

edit: added bonus, someone tapping out to repeat leg kicks - when down on his guard, I don't think I've ever seen quite that before. Rasul has nasty low kicks which hurt over the internet, landing on someone else. The guy who taps might've been injured by one of the earlier kicks though but I'm not sure.

Gahd drat :stare: Sometime's i think it'd be cool to be a fackin fighta, then I see something like that and laugh at how stupid I am.

Started BJJ 2 weeks ago, it's kickin rad, but I'm terrible at it. Never thought I'd get so confused about moving my own legs and arms :downs:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Gahd drat :stare: Sometime's i think it'd be cool to be a fackin fighta, then I see something like that and laugh at how stupid I am.

Started BJJ 2 weeks ago, it's kickin rad, but I'm terrible at it. Never thought I'd get so confused about moving my own legs and arms :downs:

Everybody is terrible at the start, and it's about moving your hips.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I have a dentist-made one and a Gladiator Elite, where you make your own impression:
http://www.gladiatorguards.com/guards/gladiator-elite
I like the material in the Gladiator better, though it is bulkier.

For you guys doing boil and bites -- if you have sensitive teeth, I recommend drinking some water, even warm, to wet your teeth down before biting. The heat capacity of the water will keep the mouthguard material from shocking your teeth. Also, don't use sharp metal edges (like tongs) to pick up the boiled guard. It gets soft enough that the edges can really dig into the guard. Maybe this is all obvious stuff for guys coming from other sports, but it was new to me when I started through the progression of sparring.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
New white belts start this week. Both the best and worst week of every semester. Best because I love getting new students. Worst because everyone is confused and so many people coming in and out it is tough to get started with things.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What's the correct term for what people are always calling "lactic acid build-up" to explain muscle fatigue?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
^^^That is a very complex question^^^^^

I'm not a physiologist so if someone is better educated than me please speak up. Here is my best take on the subject:

There are two linked events occurring during anaerobic exertion that effect the local muscles. First there is the burning, that appears to be caused by an increase in hydrogen ions which makes the muscle more acidic resulting in pain. This could be simply called acidosis of the muscle. From what I have read this is pretty much agreed upon as to what is happening, but again I'm not an expert.

Second is that the muscle gets weaker. There does not appear to be a consensus on what causes this weakness. I have heard the hypothesis that this is due to the excess hydrogen ions interfering with the normal function of the muscle. Additionally, I sat in a lecture by a muscle physiologist who had pretty strong evidence that it was issues relating to the sodium-potassium pumps in the muscle fibers that have issues relating to the high intensities of the workout. I'm still not sure and don't feel that I know enough to say one way or another. What I teach my entry level students is that waste products are produced during anaerobic efforts and that those waste products effect performance.

So I would call it, acidosis or just waste product build up. Maybe call it local muscle fatigue?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
So why is it that somehow it came to that the phenomenon got referred to as "lactic" acid buildup? Even just acid buildup would be more or less correct.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

^^^That is a very complex question^^^^^

I'm not a physiologist so if someone is better educated than me please speak up. Here is my best take on the subject:

There are two linked events occurring during anaerobic exertion that effect the local muscles. First there is the burning, that appears to be caused by an increase in hydrogen ions which makes the muscle more acidic resulting in pain. This could be simply called acidosis of the muscle. From what I have read this is pretty much agreed upon as to what is happening, but again I'm not an expert.

Second is that the muscle gets weaker. There does not appear to be a consensus on what causes this weakness. I have heard the hypothesis that this is due to the excess hydrogen ions interfering with the normal function of the muscle. Additionally, I sat in a lecture by a muscle physiologist who had pretty strong evidence that it was issues relating to the sodium-potassium pumps in the muscle fibers that have issues relating to the high intensities of the workout. I'm still not sure and don't feel that I know enough to say one way or another. What I teach my entry level students is that waste products are produced during anaerobic efforts and that those waste products effect performance.

So I would call it, acidosis or just waste product build up. Maybe call it local muscle fatigue?

What causes the feeling of cumming (the pump)?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

So why is it that somehow it came to that the phenomenon got referred to as "lactic" acid buildup? Even just acid buildup would be more or less correct.

Lactate is a very real by product of anaerobic work. It is used as a fuel source through the kreb cycle (I think). It also has a fairly linear correlation with acidosis which has a similar relationship with reduced muscle function. I'm not sure how everything got all mashed up but you can kind of see where the idea could come from.

BlindSite posted:

What causes the feeling of cumming

:stare:
I couldn't tell you. They took reproductive biology out of our course work in undergrad. Too many meat heads laughing at the dongs (true story).

BlindSite posted:

(the pump)?

The pump, AKA transient hypertrophy, is caused by an increase in blood flow to the muscles. Transient hypertrophy has been linked to chronic hypertrophy by kicking satellite cells into action which in part causes muscle growth.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjG2s6UOaw

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

BlindSite posted:

What causes the feeling of cumming (the pump)?

being an 8x world body building champion.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Glad someone got the reference.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
I'm ordering some new equipment for MT through my gym's wholesale catalog. I'm limited to Fighting Sport, Rival, Title/MMA/Classic/Platinum, Warrior, and Triumph. I've gone with Title so far, and had hit-or-miss results with them. Out of my options, does anyone have any opinions? Right now I'm going with these shin guards and gloves. I'm probably going to go with 12's for the gloves, 'cause I can still use my old worn out 16's for bags.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 30, 2013

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

TheStampede posted:

I'm ordering some new equipment for MT through my gym's wholesale catalog. I'm limited to Fighting Sport, Rival, Title/MMA/Classic/Platinum, Warrior, and Triumph. I've gone with Title so far, and had hit-or-miss results with them. Out of my options, does anyone have any opinions? Right now I'm going with these shin guards and gloves. I'm probably going to go with 12's for the gloves, 'cause I can still use my old worn out 16's for bags.

If these are the squishy title shin guards I'm thinking of then don't bother. Get some that are rigid/heavy duty, preferably with velcro straps as oppposed to the slip ons since the elastic will wear out before too long. I think Warrior/Rival might have something like this?

I have a pair from "Ring-to-Cage", but most of the guys at my gym have nicer gear from the thai brands (Twins, Top King, Fairtex, etc.)

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Don't buy slip on shin guards, that's wasted money for almost zero protection. Get leather ones with hook and loop velcro straps, like these:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-black-shin-instep-guards.html

It's a rebranded Top King shin guard, you can get the original for less if you shop around.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emGss7_2QR4

Everything old is new again.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

ehehe

"apply chancery across the face"

Can I have an oldtimey instructional for all bjj? That would own

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

This is awesome. Using the kimura trap 70 years ago.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Another 8 weeks out video:

http://www.8weeksout.com/2013/08/29/bondarchucks-principles-part-iii/?wemail=lenetsky@gmail.com

This one talks about specific resistance training movements and includes some stuff for fighting. They show some of the med ball stuff that I use with a lot of my boxers. The other videos in this series talk more about the concept of grading your movements from general to specific.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
starting judo again after a couple months off (summer break). Pretty loving excited since I'm probably switching club. Going to the best club in my city (Antoine Valois-Fortier which came back from the last olympics with a bronze was from that club) which happens to be less expensive than the one I used to go for higher quality instruction, higher quality facility and better/more hours... It's gonna be super awkward to see my ex-coach at comps but meh. 2 competition class a week + a newaza only class. Can't wait!

Finally excited about judo again after my lovely year uke-ing for a (bad, with terrible personality and ton of issues) girl that I should have never agreed to help get her black belt...

This probably means I'm not getting my black belt this year (was supposed to if I stayed at my old club), but who cares, I'd rather have better instruction for less money.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 2, 2013

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The coach at the boxing gym I went to seemed to be against the idea of punching with weights for the most part because:

1. You gently caress up your technique/form
2. You gently caress up your joints

Though he did say IF people wanted to still do so, they should go no higher than 5 lbs.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Any recommendations for a good martial art for me? I'm 5'5 and 139 lbs, with pretty bad cardio and strength, though I'm working on it. I was out of the country for a year traveling, and took an introductory lesson at a Krav Maga studio in my hometown before I left. We did a lot of warming up where my bad cardio took me out, and the instructor told me I probably shouldn't come back.

I'm not really interested in purely performance-based martial arts, and I'd like to learn something that can help me get in shape and lose some weight. I'm in Dallas, if you have any recommendations for studios in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Pinball posted:

Any recommendations for a good martial art for me? I'm 5'5 and 139 lbs, with pretty bad cardio and strength, though I'm working on it. I was out of the country for a year traveling, and took an introductory lesson at a Krav Maga studio in my hometown before I left. We did a lot of warming up where my bad cardio took me out, and the instructor told me I probably shouldn't come back.

I'm not really interested in purely performance-based martial arts, and I'd like to learn something that can help me get in shape and lose some weight. I'm in Dallas, if you have any recommendations for studios in that area.

Sorry about your experience, that guy sounds like a douche.

Anyway wrestling or BJJ. Preferably wrestling.

• Locked thread