Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JamieTheD posted:

Y'know what's creeping me out? That I'm starting to think, after that boss-finish cutscene, that I'm right about something horrible. He sounded awfully familiar, and he became what he is... Yeah, definitely creeped out right now... Also, the Old Guard still rock the casbah, and the new guy... Well, he's mysterious, and that actually pisses me off. But still, the mystery will be unraveled soon enough, I'm guessing.

Xeno-x games can't get enough of pale haired young-looking cryptic characters.

I think we may have met our Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Xeno-x games can't get enough of pale haired young-looking cryptic characters.

I think we may have met our Chaos.

But Citan had black hair.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
You said something about needing to play as Shulk when fighting against the mechon to keep enchant up, but wouldn't that be a less of a problem when playing as Dunban? I started playing a couple of days ago and am about where your latest video ended, but from what I've seen from playing a bit as Dunban is that he can inflict topple all by himself by chaining three of his starting arts (the combo starter, the one that inflicts break if it follows the previous one and the one that topples) allowing your team to wail at the toppled mechon even without enchant up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
By the way, this scene is the only time in the game that I know of where that fantastic music "Unfinished Battle" plays. It's a shame, because that really is fantastic music.

drat you Lethemonster, you're going to make me replay this, aren't you.

Okasvi posted:

You said something about needing to play as Shulk when fighting against the mechon to keep enchant up, but wouldn't that be a less of a problem when playing as Dunban? I started playing a couple of days ago and am about where your latest video ended, but from what I've seen from playing a bit as Dunban is that he can inflict topple all by himself by chaining three of his starting arts (the combo starter, the one that inflicts break if it follows the previous one and the one that topples) allowing your team to wail at the toppled mechon even without enchant up.

Yes. Later on, there are other characters who can also inflict topple without aid, although it may take a while to learn all the appropriate arts.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Okasvi posted:

Gale Slash- Electric Gutbuster- Steel Strike does topple, yeah, but it can still be kind of a pain.

Of course, you don't need to play as Shulk. Shulk's AI is really, really Enchant-happy when fighting Mechon. Handy, but can be kind of a pain when you want him to do some of his more specialized Monado Arts.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Even if people can topple Mechon on their own, that only lasts so long, and I'm not sure if the cooldown on Dunban's topple combo is short enough to be worth it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's worth it because you get to play as Dunban. What about this is so hard to understand?!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
You can kind of see it in the video, but but the weapon that Dunban starts with here can hurt Mechon without the need of Monado Enchant or Toppling. Monado Enchant does boost everyone's attack a little bit, however, and Topple is useful on many more enemies besides Mechon.

E: And as we've already seen, it's not like you're fighting Mechon 100% of the time in this game.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 26, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
If you're not sure if something is a spoiler or not, don't post it. Dunban has a fancy rear end sword that the swanky pirate guy made him from mechon armour.

Dunban versus Shulk chat:

There's a couple of problems with this. Firstly, Shulk's AI is unreliable. Sometimes he will cast enchant everytime it's available and sometimes you'll sit there dinking away for 1 damage for ages while he faffs about in the background. It's normally good, but especially recording an LP I don't want sections of a boss fight where I'm going 'oh goody he's distracted by a bee'.

Secondly, Dunbans topple is wildly unreliable. I have had massive problems in the following gameplay getting the break to land on anything. The topple hits fine once an enemy has break on but he's far from a one man topple chain at the moment. Thirdly, even if you smack a topple on straight away, there's still downtime where other characters aren't damaging properly and it brings down the pace.

We have some quality time with Dunban coming up in the next few updates. It is actually only going to be a couple more until we have the main cast, and then I will be doing a rundown on all the behind the scenes mechanics and starting to do reviews of all the characters playstyles.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

But Dunban Damage.
DUNBAN DAMAGE.

Dunban is a loving beast.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Dunban's Topple attack, Steel Strike, is horrendously powerful even if he doesn't topple with it, so it's worth keeping on even if you aren't using Electric Gutbuster for the Break-Topple combo.

Though I might be biased because I play as him, like, a lot.

Critic of the Dawn
Jun 5, 2011

Critic of the Dawn used Whine at the GM.
You gain a level!
Poor Sharla continues to get no respect. She's not half as bad as Lethemonster makes her out to be. While I'll grant that she's marginal at best against routine trash enemies, and she's not really much fun to directly control (at least to me), in boss and unique enemy fights where you're a little under the enemy's level she's incredibly useful thanks to her heals and buffs. If you spec her right (selecting weapons and armor with many gem slots rather than the highest damage or defense rating, prioritize her healing skills, and loading her up with enough Ether gems to get the maximum bonus), her Large Heal and Party Heal abilities should both end up restoring most or all of your characters' hit points whenever used.

In practice, this often means that a chain attack both does tons of damage AND brings your party to full HP. In especially tough fights, my friend and I would sometimes hold off on using chain attacks entirely until things started looking grim so we could instantly turn things around and carry on pounding on the baddies for long enough to refill the party gauge again. She also gets a pretty solid red damage skill later on which helps a lot with building up high multipliers when you don't need to rely quite so much on megaheals.

Dunban, on the other hand, is pretty great all around. He's... sort of a tank like Reyn, except instead of getting punched in the face and asking for more he ducks instead. He also does good damage (a bit more than Reyn) and can topple enemies by himself. His main downside is that he has significantly less HP than Reyn, so he can get into trouble easily. He's also really fun to play as pretty much everyone has agreed.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sharla has her uses, to be sure, but I've seen many a player stick with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla and use her as a crutch rather than branching out into notions of "best defense is a good offense/kill them before they kill you" or "keep yourself alive in other ways besides facetanking and art-healing, such as dodging or getting heals from other sources like skills".

Also as a rule, for chain attack effectiveness, it works well to pair up characters who have lots of the same color arts so you can get the multiplier high. Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban all have a good number of red arts. Sharla is majorly blue with a few other colors thrown in. This makes her a good choice for a clutch chain attack to bust out a lot of utility stuff but no good damage (e.g. topple the enemy and heal the party), but a poor choice if you want your chain attack to focus on :black101:.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I think I had Sharla use Gadolt's rifle for a long part of the game because it had 3 gem slots, no other rifle had those.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think I had Sharla use Gadolt's rifle for a long part of the game because it had 3 gem slots, no other rifle had those.

Me too, partly because of the gem slots thing but mostly because I'm a sentimental fucker. I never could bear to sell Fiora's daggers either :shobon:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vil posted:

Sharla has her uses, to be sure, but I've seen many a player stick with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla and use her as a crutch rather than branching out into notions of "best defense is a good offense/kill them before they kill you" or "keep yourself alive in other ways besides facetanking and art-healing, such as dodging or getting heals from other sources like skills".

Ahh-hem, all of these are completely valid ways to play the game :colbert:

I play as Sharla pretty much all the time. After trying her out for a while I realized that the AI really doesn't know what to do with her. When she's not just haphazardly throwing heals around battles with her get a lot more involved and tactical. Of course, the problem with Sharla is that she's attached at the hip to Reyn, so my party always consists of Sharla/Reyn/Damage dealer (depending on mood and/or presence of Mechon).

But, the upside of that is the two having some real good synergy together. Later in the game you can even promote that synergy by slotting Reyn with heal+ gems (increase the amount of HP received on healing). After a few of those, a heal blast heals him straight to full, and even the measly heal bullet gives some nice chunks of HP. Which then means you're free to replace some of your heal arts with the attack arts Sharla gets (and she does get some good ones), and get some damage done with her as well.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Otharon may have been a badass here, but this was the scene that really endeared Reyn to me. I mean, that was one sweet catch! :allears:

Oh and Dunban. Dunban is amazing. Can't wait to see you take him for a spin.

If there's one thing I like about this game (and I like A LOT of things about it), it's that plot twists don't come out of left field. You can figure stuff out yourself if you pay attention. But that is all I will say about it.

That's one of the things I'm liking best about this LP. Knowing what's going to happen, I get to find all the subtle foreshadowing I missed the first time around.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I love how the game tells you "Art Learnt" and "Skill Learnt" like some hillbilly HUD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uh... hillbilly? :confused:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
In the US 'learnt' is typically associated with country and hillbilly dialects; 'learned' is the typical form in modern American english, whereas 'learnt' is considered archaic and bumpkin-ish.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Agent Interrobang posted:

In the US 'learnt' is typically associated with country and hillbilly dialects; 'learned' is the typical form in modern American english, whereas 'learnt' is considered archaic and bumpkin-ish.
Since Xenoblade was localized in the UK, a truly hillbilly UI would say something like :haw:"Ee, an Art were learnt, like!":haw:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Tupperwarez posted:

Since Xenoblade was localized in the UK, a truly hillbilly UI would say something like :haw:"Ee, an Art were learnt, like!":haw:

Or "Tha figured out one of tha Arts, Go 't' Combat 'n figure't aht!"

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I have food poisoning. Attempts to record commentary have lead to me just going 'ugh' into the microphone and feeling sorry for myself. So there is an update due, but god I'm never eating a chicken again.

Does anyone watch the non-plot battles, or like periods of just the game sound and ambiance? Trying to work out if I need to come up with as much commentary coverage as I would want if I was watching, or if people want to just admire Shulk's snail hat occasionally.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lethemonster posted:

I have food poisoning. Attempts to record commentary have lead to me just going 'ugh' into the microphone and feeling sorry for myself. So there is an update due, but god I'm never eating a chicken again.

Does anyone watch the non-plot battles, or like periods of just the game sound and ambiance? Trying to work out if I need to come up with as much commentary coverage as I would want if I was watching, or if people want to just admire Shulk's snail hat occasionally.

I enjoy ambiance, but I also like listening to your commentary. I guess that doesn't really help, now that I think about it.

Feel better soon!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
As long as it's not a pork lift jrpg lp, because I'm already watching one jrpg played out in full real time, I wouldn't mind a bit more chilling out and fighting or wandering. I do appreciate you speeding some of it up, and the commentary is good.

I do have to ask, though - it might be endgame or new game plus spoilers, but does the name Shulk ever grow on you? It's so dumb.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I do watch everything, although not with my full attention, since I followed your previous LP as well. I've never played this, so I appreciate your spending time to show off the environments and details of the world and gameplay.

chrisoya posted:

I do have to ask, though - it might be endgame or new game plus spoilers, but does the name Shulk ever grow on you? It's so dumb.

It is odd - several times I've found myself confusing Shulk and Reyn. The sound of their names don't really match their personalities, and feel like they should be switched. Still, better than Square's obsession with weather (Cloud, Squall, Lightning).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

I'm certainly not bothered if you drop some commentary. I don't feel it's necessary to have someone speak over the whole video, especially not if it allows you to speed up updates.

Also, get well soon!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chrisoya posted:

No.

There's a "Shulk Egg Mine" in Morrowind, though, so now I like to pretend that it's named after the Xenoblade protagonist.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Most of the names in this are fine and still manage to have a fantasy-esque lilt to them. Fiora, Reyn, Sharla all resemble real names but never sounded (to me, at least) like they had deliberately been put through a mangle to make them sound a bit more 'ye olde rpg'. I hate it when any form of media takes something that works fine and then makes an outstanding change just so the audience definitely knows its not from reality!!!

But Shulk is a stupid name that shouldn't be used outside of describing something the Hulk has done. The hulk has shrugged - he has shulked. He performed a shulk.

Dunban is also a stupid name but he character is so foofy and awesome that it's ok. Maybe the names that stand out as silly to us sound better in the original translation.

Shulk should have just been called Jeff DeJeff.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Shulk and Dunban being Legitimately Good Characters™ sort of made the names sound less stupid to me over the course of the game, somehow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

No.

There's a "Shulk Egg Mine" in Morrowind, though, so now I like to pretend that it's named after the Xenoblade protagonist.

I was about to say that the black scarab enemies in that game were also called Shulks, but I guess those were Shalks instead.
Still, having a name that reminds me of Morrowind makes Shulk and A+ character in my book :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

No.

I dunno. I either got used to it or just numb to it over time. I get a kick out of the way [SOMEONE WHO HASN'T APPEARED YET] pronounces it though: "Shoolk". It never fails to make me smile.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 3, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Definitely numb to it.

Also, I liked "Dunban" as a name. It's kind of like Duncan, and I like that as a wise-warrior-mentor-type kind of name.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Also some people have mentioned characters we haven't come across yet or met or know the names of!

Edit: Video gone! Did not notice it is only half finished. Should not post when dying of plague.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 3, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lethemonster posted:

Enjoy the Dunban action.

Also some people have mentioned characters we haven't come across yet or met or know the names of!

Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong, but isn't there a scene between where video 2-6 ends and 2-7 begins? I could have sworn everyone stands around and Shulk says "I had another vision, we need to go that-a-way"?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Okay fine, I removed it.

Nice to see you're keeping up with thing though despite how you're feeling. Get well soon.

Anyway, am I the only one who shouts out "DICKSON! :haw:" in full joyous glee every time he turns up out of nowhere?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 3, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong, but isn't there a scene between where video 2-6 ends and 2-7 begins? I could have sworn everyone stands around and Shulk says "I had another vision, we need to go that-a-way"?

I double checked my original video and it goes straight from the cutscene as 2-6 ends into the opening of 2-7. However I now remember something in there as well... Also just noticed the audio is off. I should really know to check by now.

I will do what I did before when there was a break - I'll leave the wonky version up for whoever wants it and then when I've either stopped being ill or progressed to full on blood poisoning I'll do a proper :effort: update. Either way it will be interesting.

Also if people want to produce their breakdowns of how Shulk and Dunban play, go for it now.

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, am I the only one who shouts out "DICKSON! :haw:" in full joyous glee every time he turns up out of nowhere?

Ofcourse not. It's how you know if someone is a good judge of character or not. If they don't think Dickson is the most amazing JRPG pirate then you push them off a high building.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2013

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Is it me or is there no right side audio?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Regarding the name of Shulk, I've taking to calling him "Sulk" now on. I don't why, just because

:iiam:

Bguy32 posted:

Is it me or is there no right side audio?

I have right audio, but its super super faint for me. Eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Dunban's official romanization (in the artbook) is "Dunbun". :downs:

(also, Sharla was "Carna" and Fiora was "Fiorung")

• Locked thread