Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The first talent that comes to mind that could be applied in this situation is Point Blank or Barrage. I believe that they both add to the damage of the check, and that triggering Autofire or two weapon wielding adds the damage of the initial check to the extra attacks, so I think it stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Point Blank, which specifies +1 damage per rank to one hit of successful ranged while at short/engaged. He's dual wielding pistols and makes the arguement that the dual wield rules explicitly say both weapons hit if you pull off the advantage rolls, therefore both get the buff. I say it specifies "one hit" so only one shot from one pistol gets it.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Springfield Fatts posted:

Point Blank, which specifies +1 damage per rank to one hit of successful ranged while at short/engaged. He's dual wielding pistols and makes the arguement that the dual wield rules explicitly say both weapons hit if you pull off the advantage rolls, therefore both get the buff. I say it specifies "one hit" so only one shot from one pistol gets it.

It's not a competitive game, why not let the player be ever so slightly more heroic? I don't have the book in front of me, but I do know that this is a waste to debate. Save the fights over RAW for things that will actually break the game. It will make you and your players happier.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's not like it bogged the game or anything, its just that to everyone in our group this is our first RPG and we want to get the mechanics right. In this specific scenario it was ambiguous so I let his interpretation roll and asked here after the fact. I see it personally as the difference between a nice bump in damage +3 (he has three ranks in it) to +6 damage, a whole 'nother blaster shot hitting. It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Sorry if this comes off as spergy, I'm still transitioning from tabletop.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's not like it bogged the game or anything, its just that to everyone in our group this is our first RPG and we want to get the mechanics right. In this specific scenario it was ambiguous so I let his interpretation roll and asked here after the fact. I see it personally as the difference between a nice bump in damage +3 (he has three ranks in it) to +6 damage, a whole 'nother blaster shot hitting. It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Sorry if this comes off as spergy, I'm still transitioning from tabletop.

I think it would be important to ask them which they'd rather, knowing that it means enemies will be able to do the same thing to them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's not like it bogged the game or anything, its just that to everyone in our group this is our first RPG and we want to get the mechanics right.
I don't have my book in front of me, but memory indicates that Point Blank and Barrage both add to the damage of the check. What's the precise wording on Autofire and two weapon wielding regarding the damage they deal?

quote:

I see it personally as the difference between a nice bump in damage +3 (he has three ranks in it) to +6 damage, a whole 'nother blaster shot hitting.
With two weapons, this is exactly what happens. It is a whole other shot hitting, complete with soak factoring in and everything. This is why I'd be inclined to give it to him.

quote:

It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the guy with the rifle has the advantage of range on the pistoleer - unless he's looking to stun, a rifleman with a little time or legwork can most likely get at least one good shot off before the guy with the pistols comes into range. Hell, stick a jetpack on him and the guy with the pistol never really gets a chance. Also, autofire rifles make dual pistols look like a sucker's game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah point blank explicitly states it only applies to one single hit. The situation reminds me of all the DnD 3.5 players who think that deliberately misreading the rules is somehow finding a loophole. If you ever aren't sure, you should err on the side of not giving people extra damage bonuses because extra damage bonuses are far easier to obtain than extra soak. This is already a very deadly game.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Only if you ignore that DW takes 2 Advantage to activate, adds an extra difficulty die, and requires you to draw 2 weapons instead of 1 if you don't also have quick draw. Also the range thing, but that's less constant.

I find that the vague nature of most of the dice symbols, the simplification of movement to range bands, and the presence of the destiny counters lend a very loose, dramatic feeling to the system. Playing it up like Shadowrun or D&D in space is kind of doing the system a disservice.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Appreciate the back and forth here, guys. Hammering rules out now will help me later on. Time to play catch up.

homullus: This is basically what I said, and they ran into an NPC who wiped one of the players using this very ability.

PantsOptional: The 40k thread is pretty big on not directly quoting word-for-word rules, so I'll continue to paraphrase here because Auto-Fire is also a wall of text. Adds +1 to Difficulty if Auto-Fire is used; activated for 2 Advantage and can be activated multiple times; each time triggered it deals an additional hit to the target; each hit deals base damage plus all uncancelled Success; additional hits can be allocated on other targets in range but must be declared before rolling; "Auto-Fire weapons can also activate one Critical Injury for each hit generate on the attack per the normal cost, the Critical must target the target of the specific hit.

Two Weapon Combat says pick the lowest skill if using two different types of weapons, add 1 Difficulty. "If he succeeds, he hits with his primary weapon as normal. He may also spend 2 Advantage or 1 Destiny to hit with his secondary weapon as well. If both weapons hit, he may spend additional Advantage or Destiny to activate qualities from either weapon. Each hit deals it's base damage, =1 damage per uncancelled Success."

On my 'whole nother blaster hitting' I meant three shots hitting. Two at normal and the +6 being the equivalent of another Blaster Pistol being shot. I didn't think to deduct Soak from both shots independently though, this is an excellent point.

rodbeard: This was my take on it, but having no experience in any other RPG I said "eh, gently caress it let's just play" and let the rule ride.

Bularin: Not to run this into the ground, but I agree with most of your points. The only one being the range, which the talent specifies Short/Engaged so it is a constant to get the damage bonuses. I also agree this is semantics and powergaming babble, which hampers the cinematic and conceptual feel to the game. It's very much what drew me to the game in the first place.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Bularin: Not to run this into the ground, but I agree with most of your points. The only one being the range, which the talent specifies Short/Engaged so it is a constant to get the damage bonuses. I also agree this is semantics and powergaming babble, which hampers the cinematic and conceptual feel to the game. It's very much what drew me to the game in the first place.

I'm just glad someone else understands the loose, cinematic quality the game is going for. I play so much Shadowrun and D&D 4 that it's nice to just sit back and let the rules/dice advise instead of dictate.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Having just heard the AoR beta book's darktrooper stats... ahahaha holy poo poo, they're Nemesis for a reason.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Where did you see this? Did the beta finally come out?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, I'm curious about this. The only thing that I've heard about them is that they're in powered armor and that they have a full-strength missile tube in addition to being Nemesis level opponents.

edit: also that apparently they forgot to include a Strain Threshold for them.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 28, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

They would also have jetpacks and some voice thing that makes them sound all weird, if Dark Forces is any indication.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Free RPG Day adventure is up:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4328

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Beyond the Rim is also out. Gotta see if I can swing by and grab my copy this weekend.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I made this:

It's pretty cool for having a page of enemies at hand. Can't really do starships with it, but for $13 it's pretty :krad:

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Tharizdun posted:

So I made this:

It's pretty cool for having a page of enemies at hand. Can't really do starships with it, but for $13 it's pretty :krad:

That.. that is amazing. Is there a simple way for fellow goons to replicate that?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

rocode posted:

That.. that is amazing. Is there a simple way for fellow goons to replicate that?
Ehh, I didn't save the original, but it was just a ten-minute hackjob in GIMP using the circle tool.

Gin something up, go to RubberStampChamp.com and have 'em make it. Takes about a week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

rocode posted:

That is a fantastic idea!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I love it!

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Quick question. Does the first rulebookcome with dice? I scummed out and didn't get the beginner game because I expected the rules to be erattaed by the time it came out, so I wanted to know.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Druggeddwarf posted:

Quick question. Does the first rulebookcome with dice? I scummed out and didn't get the beginner game because I expected the rules to be erattaed by the time it came out, so I wanted to know.

No, but dice are sold separately.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Also you need at least two sets of dice, because why on earth would they sell you enough custom dice to play the game with in a single set.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Also you need at least two sets of dice, because why on earth would they sell you enough custom dice to play the game with in a single set.

I have found that you can get by with one, but that two -- or an app -- is much better.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

rodbeard posted:

There's also a table in the Rulebook for using just regular D6s, D8s, and D12s, but having two sets is pretty useful.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow, FFG is going all in. Another new book announcement about a Corellian sector sourcebok.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4350

I just picked up Beyond the Rim today, the production values are incredible. FFG can just take my paychecks.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Not exactly sure how a human with a different starting skill specialization is a new species.

On the other hand, space weasels:

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 11, 2013

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

alg posted:

I just picked up Beyond the Rim today, the production values are incredible. FFG can just take my paychecks.

Did Beyond the Rim add anything for races/classes?

Edit: I assume not, I just now noticed it's classified as and "Adventure" and not a "Rules Supplement" like Suns of Fortune.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 11, 2013

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

And how's the adventure?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Haha so I didn't know what a Drall looked like

- Apparently a space gerbil
- And that drall means "buxom" in German

...it was a weird search result.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

And how's the adventure?

It looks like a relatively standard three-act adventure, with good opportunity to expand it with side quests, or to make some of its NPCs into ongoing ones in your campaign. "Lost treasure ship" is a plot I am still not tired of! But it's a lost Separatist one, so there are survivors who are still alive and with new extra drama, rather than abandoned wreck and clue-filled ship's logs and ancient evils or whatever.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Haha so I didn't know what a Drall looked like

- Apparently a space gerbil
- And that drall means "buxom" in German

...it was a weird search result.

Try a google image search for Gand then...

gand is Indian slang for rear end

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Al Baron posted:

Not exactly sure how a human with a different starting skill specialization is a new species.
And the idea of Corellians being "special" enough to warrant a separate listing.
:ughh:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

And the idea of Corellians being "special" enough to warrant a separate listing.
:ughh:

I dunno, they made a point of talking about Corellians as something special or different even back when Star Wars (the first movie) was new and nobody knew what a Corellian was. Only now that 300 other planets have been detailed does it look kind of ridiculous.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

homullus posted:

I dunno, they made a point of talking about Corellians as something special or different even back when Star Wars (the first movie) was new and nobody knew what a Corellian was. Only now that 300 other planets have been detailed does it look kind of ridiculous.
Whereas I thought that it had as much weight as Han Solo's claims about parsecs, I can't help it if EU writers fell for it. But yeah, it's off-putting when EotE basically alludes to its Humans being Humans, period.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 11, 2013

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Oh well, in the game I'm in we're certainly not welcome on Corellia any more anyways.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

rodbeard posted:

Oh well, in the game I'm in we're certainly not welcome on Corellia any more anyways.

But that's what makes it fun to go there!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
gently caress space weasels, space gerbils and "special" humans; the Corellian book has more ships and weapons so it's guaranteed purchase for me. Though I decided long ago I was gonna buy most if not all of the things they release for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do we have a master list of all products in FFG's Star Wars RPG line (preferably with release dates) somewhere that's not on their website? I don't know why, but I've always had really long load times and timeouts on FFG's website, and I wanted to quickly check up on what all is out/is coming soon in EotE-land.

• Locked thread