Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

You fine gentleman are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aphrodite posted:

You should be able to turn it off. It's supposed to be good for sports, though. Hockey hasn't started yet so I haven't had a chance to test mine.

If you have a console, MLB.TV shows a free game every day, many of which (I think?) are 1080p.
And each one has two a/v feeds.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I did it! I am now the proud owner of one of these:

VIZIO 55” Class (54.60” Diag.) Razor LED™ Smart TV E551i-A2

I played around with the picture and sound settings, and already the TV looks and sounds leagues better than it did on first power-on. Also, Dark Souls is making my wife and I go all :tviv: and we're probably going to be replaying several 360 games now.

It's such a little thing, but drat am I glad the wall mount I got requires a socket set for the anchor bolts. I'll actually be able to get this secured into a stud really well and I won't ruin my hands trying to turn a screwdriver for an hour.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Snagged this guy, he's still on sale on amazon for like 690 dollars or so which seemed like a good deal.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Are there any smart TV manufacturers I should avoid in terms of app quality? I'm looking for a 32" for my three season porch and I want Netflix and Hulu on it without using another device to keep clutter down.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

overdriveGTO posted:

Are there any smart TV manufacturers I should avoid in terms of app quality? I'm looking for a 32" for my three season porch and I want Netflix and Hulu on it without using another device to keep clutter down.

In my experience the apps are all pretty similar. The ui to get to them will vary though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

overdriveGTO posted:

Not to sound like a broken record, but the EH5300 has built in WiFi.
(Is there anything it can't do? :allears: )
Samsung's 2012 Smart UI and apps are still getting updates too.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

Not to sound like a broken record, but the EH5300 has built in WiFi.
(Is there anything it can't do? :allears: )
Samsung's 2012 Smart UI and apps are still getting updates too.

That sounds like a winner.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Hi Thread,

I'm moving to Canada in a couple of weeks time, and I'm taking this opportunity to get rid of my 7 year old 42" Aquos and get something newer/bigger. I really want something 50" in size (or bigger, i guess, but 50" is minimum), looks fairly nice and hopefully isn't a complete piece of poo poo. IP control would be really nice, but I appreciate that full IP control (wake on lan etc) only really comes when you're spending megabucks. 3D is preferable, but definitely not a deal breaker. Smart TV functionality isn't important to me, although a number of TVs that I've shortlisted seem to come with it. Ultimately, my budget is, at tops, $1500 (including tax, I'll be in BC), but i'd rather spend less if possible. I've found these ones so far...

Samsung UN55FH6030 - 55" is pretty sweet at that price.
Sony KDL50R550 - Probably my favourite looking out of the bunch.
Samsung PN60F5500 - 60", which is nice, but Plasma scares me, what with the energy use and heat output.
LG 50LA6205 - Looks nice, but I know LGs are pretty poo poo for IP control.

I'm leaning towards either the 55" Samsung or the Sony but, ultimately, i know precisely gently caress all about televisions so I feel like i'm in over my head. Can anyone advise as to whether any of these are lovely or a good deal etc?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have the 42" of that LG. No complaints, but it doesn't have the IP stuff you want.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

moron posted:

Hi Thread,

I'm moving to Canada in a couple of weeks time, and I'm taking this opportunity to get rid of my 7 year old 42" Aquos and get something newer/bigger. I really want something 50" in size (or bigger, i guess, but 50" is minimum), looks fairly nice and hopefully isn't a complete piece of poo poo. IP control would be really nice, but I appreciate that full IP control (wake on lan etc) only really comes when you're spending megabucks. 3D is preferable, but definitely not a deal breaker. Smart TV functionality isn't important to me, although a number of TVs that I've shortlisted seem to come with it. Ultimately, my budget is, at tops, $1500 (including tax, I'll be in BC), but i'd rather spend less if possible. I've found these ones so far...

Samsung UN55FH6030 - 55" is pretty sweet at that price.
Sony KDL50R550 - Probably my favourite looking out of the bunch.
Samsung PN60F5500 - 60", which is nice, but Plasma scares me, what with the energy use and heat output.
LG 50LA6205 - Looks nice, but I know LGs are pretty poo poo for IP control.

I'm leaning towards either the 55" Samsung or the Sony but, ultimately, i know precisely gently caress all about televisions so I feel like i'm in over my head. Can anyone advise as to whether any of these are lovely or a good deal etc?

Get the plasma. The benefits in picture quality (and size) outweigh everything else. While plasma is less energy efficient than LCD/LED, it's important to remember that; given displays of the same size, we're talking a difference of a couple bucks a month for heavy use. And the heat thing is a bit misunderstood. You can put your hand on the glass just fine (I wouldn't, the screen would smudge ;)). It's just warmer than other display types. They can't actually burn anything.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Get the plasma. The benefits in picture quality (and size) outweigh everything else. While plasma is less energy efficient than LCD/LED, it's important to remember that; given displays of the same size, we're talking a difference of a couple bucks a month for heavy use. And the heat thing is a bit misunderstood. You can put your hand on the glass just fine (I wouldn't, the screen would smudge ;)). It's just warmer than other display types. They can't actually burn anything.

I always assumed plasma was the least desirable out of all the technologies, having bought into the hype about LED being the best thing ever, but your reply has made me look into this a little bit deeper, and I think I'm going to roll with a plasma. Thanks!

Whilst reading up reviews about plasma sets, the main negative points which show up again and again seem to be that they're not so good in a well lit room. In real terms, how much of an issue is this? The apartment I'll be moving into is fairly light but, given that I work all day and only watch TV in the evenings, I'm hoping that this likely won't be a problem for me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

moron posted:

Whilst reading up reviews about plasma sets, the main negative points which show up again and again seem to be that they're not so good in a well lit room. In real terms, how much of an issue is this?

This mostly concerns direct lighting, and even LED or LCD screens kind of suck when you have direct light reflecting on the screen.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anyone have a good recommendation on small (preferably wireless) speakers/amp combo? I am looking for something that could potentially be expanded to 5.1, is very small and could be mounted to ceilings, and has as few wires as possible. TV is a 50" Samsung LED mounted to the wall and I am trying to keep everything clean without opening up the walls.

E: something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Fidelio-HTL9100-5-1-channel-wireless/dp/B00BBUUDS2

http://www.amazon.com/S4251w-B4-Soundbar-Wireless-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00CDIK908/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 23, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The vizio setup has gotten good reviews. its $279 at costco.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

overdriveGTO posted:

The only thing I will tell you is to probably avoid the Chinese manufacturers. Everyone else should be fine. Full disclosure: I worked at one, taking the initiative to both improve code quality and UX with another dev and a UX doctor. Ultimately, all our ideas were thrown out because the Chinese parent corporation is closed to new ideas. Therefore, all of us left (I like the people there, and would have loved to see the company succeed, but without management changes, it isn't going to happen).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Not exactly a TV question, but does anyone have a Vizio Co-Star?

I am mostly interest to know how it works if you DO NOT have cable TV or satellite and you are just using it as a "smart-tv" kit. I use XBMC on a PC for most of my video watching and play file form a local server. XBMC has poo poo for 3rd party sources like Hulu and Amazon so I was thinking about using a Co-Star with it's HDMI pass through in-between the PC and my TV.

I am also considering using the Pulse Eight HDMI CEC Adaptor to control XBMC on my PC from the Vizio Co-Star's remote.

I am probably making this too complicated, aren't I?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Not exactly a TV question, but does anyone have a Vizio Co-Star?

I am mostly interest to know how it works if you DO NOT have cable TV or satellite and you are just using it as a "smart-tv" kit. I use XBMC on a PC for most of my video watching and play file form a local server. XBMC has poo poo for 3rd party sources like Hulu and Amazon so I was thinking about using a Co-Star with it's HDMI pass through in-between the PC and my TV.

I am also considering using the Pulse Eight HDMI CEC Adaptor to control XBMC on my PC from the Vizio Co-Star's remote.

I am probably making this too complicated, aren't I?

Id get a roku over a googletv box to complement your xbmc setup. Then use a harmony smart control for remote control duties.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

Id get a roku over a googletv box to complement your xbmc setup. Then use a harmony smart control for remote control duties.

I have looked at Rokus and they do look nice and I know they are popular, but I was attracted to the Co-star and CEC approach because it would give me both devices on a single input on my TV and I could a single RF remote control using CEC rather than having to add an IR receiver to my XBMC.

Is there a Harmony Remote that can control a PC without an IR receiver? Related question: Is there a Harmony Remote that would let me control 2 different PCs at once?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have looked at Rokus and they do look nice and I know they are popular, but I was attracted to the Co-star and CEC approach because it would give me both devices on a single input on my TV and I could a single RF remote control using CEC rather than having to add an IR receiver to my XBMC.

Is there a Harmony Remote that can control a PC without an IR receiver? Related question: Is there a Harmony Remote that would let me control 2 different PCs at once?

An IR receiver for a pc is $13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-USB...=item3a73a67db6

Also no, if you used 2 pc's next to each other they would both pickup the same codes.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

An IR receiver for a pc is $13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-USB...=item3a73a67db6

Also no, if you used 2 pc's next to each other they would both pickup the same codes.

I don't want to use 2 different PCs next to each other. One of them is not even line of sight so IR isn't even an option for it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sometime in the next couple months, I'm looking to upgrade my tv to a nice 240hz set. I'll mainly be using it for movies and gaming, but is there anything I should look for when checking out 240hz sets?

Piggycow
Jun 27, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-50L1350U-50-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00BOJWE0U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm moving, need a TV, and found this Toshiba for $530 at PC Richards. I figure I can stick a Roku next to it to watch Netflix and run an HDMI from my PC for everything else, so I don't care about any Smart TV features.

Will getting into the $1000 range really make the panel itself THAT much better or do is all the extra money mainly feed into getting the Smart TV features, 120/240 Hz, and 3D? At worst I might just see some motion blur on here right?

I'm never going to hook up Bluray or anything and really have no issues with how movies/games look at 60 Hz on my PC monitors and current TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Sometime in the next couple months, I'm looking to upgrade my tv to a nice 240hz set. I'll mainly be using it for movies and gaming, but is there anything I should look for when checking out 240hz sets?

Just that you should make sure it's the real refresh rate, and not the motion interpolation rating (CMR, TMR, Motion Flow, Smooth Motion, etc.).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 24, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I had a crappy Olevia 237 for many years and it appears to have finally died on me. At first ti was shutting itself off so I unplugged it for a bit and now it doesn't appear to want to turn back on.

So this seems like a good of time as any to finally get a better TV! Right now I want to spend as under $500 as possible but I also don't want to go that much lower than 40 inches and I also need something I can see in a bright room. Right now I'm looking at this and this. Any idea if these are any good and even if they are any suggestions for something better and/or cheaper?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Just moved into a new place and me and the gf are looking for a TV in the 40' range at priced around $360 or so. Does such a thing exist, without being complete and utter crap?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You should probably try Toshiba and RCA, but even Vizio doesn't have a 40" for less than $400.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The second LG I linked comes in 39' for under $400 and has generally good reviews from what I've seen.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I hate to ask the same question a few months later, but I decided to wait until as close as possible to football season to get the most current deal. I'm looking for as large as possible a TV (ideally 50+ in.) with 1080p and a good refresh rate (I'm primarily going to be using it for sports). I don't care about 3D or videogames, so if I can avoid some features that apply mostly to those and save money then great--ideally, I'd like to spend <$800, although I guess I could go up to $1000 for a really good value. Has anyone seen any particularly good deals available right now that fit this general description?

Thanks!

edit: are refurbished TVs a uniformly terrible idea?

JiUC fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2013

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I bought about six months ago for $800 (plus tax) and I have been very satisfied with it: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3-60-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009H8JOZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377557165&sr=8-1&keywords=vizio+a601ia3

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Don't know where else to post this, so if it's been answered somewhere else please let me know. I have a Panasonic P50ST50 (due to the advice in the previous HDTV thread, it's a WONDERFUL piece of technology). The Youtube app suffers from pretty horrible stuttering and doesn't buffer worth a poo poo if you pause the video. I can't find many answers other than this Google groups thread. There are three fixes listed there. Set DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS), set display to game mode, and to configure your router to block CDN servers. I've done the first two (no help) and am looking for a way to implement those blocks with my current setup.

I'd like to know if anyone else with a Panasonic smart TV is experiencing this issue and if a fix has been figured out.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005318

Would you guys consider this a good deal even if I don't particularly care about 3D? On paper it seems to be a huge discount...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

JiUC posted:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005318

Would you guys consider this a good deal even if I don't particularly care about 3D? On paper it seems to be a huge discount...
I got almost the same TV but 55" for $20 more from Amazon.

e: I wrote a mini-review of it here.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 27, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's presumably in Canada since he linked Newegg.ca though, so Amazon's not an option.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Oh dang. $1030 ($980 US?) still seems like a lot for a 47".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unfortunately, it is not.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...tCategory=21344

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

yeah, I am in Canada. Are prices a lot worse here for TVs?

I basically just want to find the best possible value on a relatively state of the art (with the exception of 3D, and specifically as pertains to sports) TV that's at least close to 50", and in the next week so that I have it in time for football season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Prices are a lot worse here for most electronics. Game consoles are a notable exception (but not their controllers.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JiUC posted:

yeah, I am in Canada. Are prices a lot worse here for TVs?

I basically just want to find the best possible value on a relatively state of the art (with the exception of 3D, and specifically as pertains to sports) TV that's at least close to 50", and in the next week so that I have it in time for football season.

0-20% worse, depending on the product, and the venue you're purchasing from.
A road trip to the U.S. is a good option if you can swing it.

Offhand, I'd recommend the 51" Samsung F5500 plasma, or the 50" Panasonic S60. Both are $899 at the usual suspects.
Plasma's great for sports, what with the motion resolution and crazy wide viewing angles (nearly sideways for some).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

0-20% worse, depending on the product, and the venue you're purchasing from.
A road trip to the U.S. is a good option if you can swing it.

Offhand, I'd recommend the 51" Samsung F5500 plasma, or the 50" Panasonic S60. Both are $899 at the usual suspects.
Plasma's great for sports, what with the motion resolution and crazy wide viewing angles (nearly sideways for some).

Thanks! So is there a general consensus that plasma is better than LED and LCD for sports? I see that they tend to have much better refresh rates, but is that far and away the most important consideration?