Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Stopped to see some friends in North Carolina. Was out with them and their kids looking for Perseids as it was that weekend, and figure I'll set my camera out overnight to take a timelapse and see if I can capture any meteors. I set it out around 9:30. I wake up the next morning to see that it had rained... a lot. Checking the photos on the card, it started around 12:30 and kept up most of the night. I stupidly turned the (soaking wet) camera on to see if it works. Screen has some funky lines in it. Menu button turns on live view. The scrolls half work. Taking a photo locks the mirror up and throws an error. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

So I baked it between 100 and 170 degrees for a bit, then let it sit in a bowl of rice for 3 days.

Turned it on and everything works. Perfectly. Shot about 200 photos and a few minutes of video since then and everything is miraculously fine.

Oh, and my 17-35 had water literally pooled between the hood petal and the lens, and was fogged up inside. Same treatment to it left it 100% clear. PHEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

VomitOnLino posted:

Also appropriately, for the topic at hand I just finished laying out the sawing pattern for my wooden pinhole camera. :getin:

You got plans you can share or at least pictures? I wouldn't mind a weekend project that I would maybe get some use out of.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Should've bought an Olympus E-5 :smug:

I will never have the chance again to be smug about this

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

Should've bought an Olympus E-5 :smug:

I will never have the chance again to be smug about this

Weathersealed olympus crew represent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lozjZoRP5lM

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Atticus_1354 posted:

You got plans you can share or at least pictures? I wouldn't mind a weekend project that I would maybe get some use out of.

Get yourself a film holder and just build around that, if you're planning on shooting film. To work out your dimensions just use this little calculator to work out the focal length (how far the pinhole is from the film plane), and the FOV you want and just go from there:
http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

If you want to make it super cheap and fast just make it out of MDF or foam core.

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in a DIY photography thread?

Spedman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 27, 2013

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm at work now so I can't post my stuff. But it's not that custom anyway.

I basically was inspired by this. I already have a normal "flat film" pinhole, so I wanted to try something new.
Dunno how it will work out, as I tried to reduce his approach to be less involved as I'm not good with powertools.

http://www.diyphotography.net/building-a-beautiful-wooden-anamorphic-pinhole-camera

EDIT: I'm going medium format, as I went 35mm for the first camera, and coming up with a usable film rewind mechanism was a huge pain in the neck.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Made a new hat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^^ nice hat.

:negative: I had so many rookie mistakes today. First, I packed up a couple extra rolls of film in my side bag. Then proceeded to load my camera and gear in my backpack and drive off. Next, I forgot to check the aperture lever was set to manual on my adapted Takumar. Last 6 shots on my roll were shot wide open. Finally, I had a roll of 400H shoved in the bottom of my bag and it went into the lake while I was trying to load my Nikonos. :sigh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like you need a ritual.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

A fun morning read about corporations going nuts when they get caught infringing copyright:

http://bgzstudios.com/blog/photography/heroes-of-copyright-infringement-the-photographer-litigation-against-syfy/

I bet this turns out badly; the the cosplayers likely signed something along the lines of 'I assert that I have the right to license these photos' when they handed the photos to the studio, along with an indemnifying clause - which means that if the photographer takes the studio to court the studio are going to whip round and take it out on the cosplayers.

Cue several hundred more terrified blogposts full of 'but I didn't mean to hurt anyone!' with comment threads full of barely understood legal advice and grimacing about uppity photographers expecting to get paid for snapshots of someone else's hard work.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

occluded posted:

grimacing about uppity photographers expecting to get paid for snapshots of someone else's hard work.

I know someone who literally believes this on Facebook. They actually posted the same article, just with a "THINK OF THE COSPLAYERS EFFORT" spin.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Destroy all cosplay, burn every anime, kill all nerds.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

8th-snype posted:

Hail Satan.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Hail Satan!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

Hail Satan.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

evil_bunnY posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Hail Satan!

torgeaux posted:

Hail Satan.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Hail Satan!

torgeaux posted:

Hail Satan.

Hail Satan.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Hail Santa.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What are the most Satanic cameras and lenses? Please help, it's for a project.

e:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 5, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

big scary monsters posted:

Whatever's being sent around as the lovely digicam is easily the most Satanic camera.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The $2,800 Leica Vario-Tesla 3.5-6.4 is obviously a ploy by the Prince of Lies.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

e:

Any camera or lens that makes your mother look skinny, because Satan is the father of lies.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

e:

The gold Nazi Leica's would probably fit the bill.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I was at an autism educator's conference today and they kept bringing up Stephen Shore, a leading advocate for people with ASD. I was so confused until they showed a video in which Dr. Stephen Shore, who has a PhD in special education and Asperger's and is not, in fact, Stephen Shore the photographer discussed sensory processing issues.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

dakana posted:

autism educator's conference

As a moderator of Dorkroom, I should probably attend more of these.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

As a moderator of any SA forum, I should probably attend more of these.

:v:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Live from the Apple Livestream: "New camera: It used to be that to take better pics, you just learned to become a better photographer..."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
After years doing the freelance thing, and internships, and contract gigs, I've finally landed a staff job making pictures every day! :toot: I don't post here as often as I used to but I still felt like sharing with the Dorkroom. Hurray for health insurance!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheCow posted:

Hurray for health insurance!

Hells yeah :woop::dance::holy:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BobTheCow posted:

After years doing the freelance thing, and internships, and contract gigs, I've finally landed a staff job making pictures every day!
Nice going, nerd! :)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

dunkman posted:

Live from the Apple Livestream: "New camera: It used to be that to take better pics, you just learned to become a better photographer..."

Seriously? I didn't follow along on any of the live blogs today. But the fact that they said somethings so pompous like this shouldn't surprise me.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

geeves posted:

Seriously? I didn't follow along on any of the live blogs today. But the fact that they said somethings so pompous like this shouldn't surprise me.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ease of use has been a selling point for quite some time now. Apple's wording is just more douchebaggy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

Ease of use has been a selling point for quite some time now. Apple's wording is just more douchebaggy.

Imagine if Apple bought Leica.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

geeves posted:

Apple would then proceed to sue all independent Leica techs and release an Ms.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

geeves posted:

Leica might make a good digital camera?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

8th-snype posted:

Leica might make a good digital camera?

I was thinking more of a Leica with Facetime.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Whatever happened to that Jony Ive Leica

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Chill Callahan posted:

Whatever happened to that Jony Ive Leica

It's being auctioned off for charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah, that was the original intention. Looks like Sotheby’s just announced they're going to be auctioning it off in late November.