Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I really can't say anything bad about Joe now since I found out about PewDiePie.

At this point I'm less bummed about PDP having a larger audience and more bummed that folk use him as a crutch to be worse because "hey, not as bad as PDP". To the point of going "loving PDP, doing hosed up jokes", and then minutes later making GBS threads on lgbt folk and making minutes long prison rape jokes or screaming so loud that the microphone clips for minutes to no end on lp goon streams and in lps themselves. Meanwhile I go check on PDP, see that he did a Pom Gets Wifi lp, and get surprised that he can keep his poo poo together and made the whole thing a semi-pleasant experience. This is not in any way a defense of the fellow, more as a wish for others to clean up on their act or at least not be as bad or even worse than the guy. (I mean poo poo, you had that newgrounds animator's gently caress pdp vid right there)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'm not a fan of Joe but everything I'm not a fan of he does lots more people do way worse so I guess he wins in my mind by just virtue of being the least bad of the type.

What the gently caress is this incomprehensible word scramble.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Mogambo posted:

What the gently caress is this incomprehensible word scramble.

"I'm not a fan of Joe. He does a lot of things that get on my nerves, but for each of these things there's a lot of YouTubers who are far worse offenders. So, I guess Joe wins by virtue of being the least bad."

I wouldn't even say Joe's the "least bad" since that implies he's even on the same scale as some of these guys. Sure he can be an obnoxious manchild and he's a poor interviewer, but that's not even the same game as "has really lovely opinions about women, and is a racist."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'll give Joe this: He actually uses a rating system where he uses the 7/8 ratings as what they should be, above average. He's not as bad as he was, and he needs to stop with his whole 'voice of all gamers' poo poo but he's harmless.

I've been watching some of Linkara's stuff on the new 52 reboot. I thought the Batman relaunch was universally loved, hell people were flipping over Death of the Family, I know I loved it. Though Linkara does tend to have a problem with holding an entire series back due to something and never giving it a chance. He's still pissed over loving One More Day and that was ove half a decade ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Joe because him and I tend to have similar opinions on games, but I can't get behind all his Corporate Commander and other gimicky stuff as well.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've been watching some of Linkara's stuff on the new 52 reboot. I thought the Batman relaunch was universally loved, hell people were flipping over Death of the Family, I know I loved it. Though Linkara does tend to have a problem with holding an entire series back due to something and never giving it a chance. He's still pissed over loving One More Day and that was ove half a decade ago.

The New 52 is still hated, and there isn't much aside from what he pointed out that's all that liked, cept maybe Wonder Woman. I can't remember if he mentioned WW, but unlike all of those it's all I can think of that's well liked, doing good, and hasn't been canceled or otherwise hosed up. I think Green Arrow also got a new writer people liked.

One More Day I think gets special permission to still be angry over, because Linkara really liked Mary Jane and Peter's marriage, and they still aren't married, so it's effect is still there, but yeah, he should probably try moving on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

I think Green Arrow also got a new writer people liked.

Yeah, he's been revamped in a really good way with a lot more personality than before.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

WickedHate posted:

One More Day I think gets special permission to still be angry over, because Linkara really liked Mary Jane and Peter's marriage, and they still aren't married, so it's effect is still there, but yeah, he should probably try moving on.

Especially when we now have Superior Spider-Man to bitch about. :allears:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Rebochan posted:

Yeah, if he wants to get angry he can pick OMD or the comic that turned Peter Parker into a simpering coward who would literally let a child die in order to kill Doc Ock.

Also, I honestly really love New 52 Batman, every arc has been great in my opinion.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WickedHate posted:

I like Joe because him and I tend to have similar opinions on games, but I can't get behind all his Corporate Commander and other gimicky stuff as well.

The New 52 is still hated, and there isn't much aside from what he pointed out that's all that liked, cept maybe Wonder Woman. I can't remember if he mentioned WW, but unlike all of those it's all I can think of that's well liked, doing good, and hasn't been canceled or otherwise hosed up. I think Green Arrow also got a new writer people liked.

I gave up on the single issues and follow the trades now, Animal Man and Swamp Thing were great I though. I will never understand though what the hell Linkara sees in Gail Simone's Batgirl though. That was just an annoying title to read through. Edit: Unless It got better after the first few issues.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 26, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BigRed0427 posted:

I gave up on the single issues and follow the trades now, Animal Man and Swamp Thing were great I though. I will never understand though what the hell Linkara sees in Gail Simone's Batgirl though. That was just an annoying title to read through. Edit: Unless It got better after the first few issues.
Linkara is a huge fanboy for Gail Simone

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

quote:

The problem with Korra

Going back to the last page for a moment. As Doug went through the Last Airbender reviews, I looked forward to each episode with a little "oh, that's the one with.... I wonder what he'll think about that?" Meanwhile for each Korra review I watched the review first and then was like "oh, so that's what that episode was about, I guess". (In case you're wondering, I watched Korra well after I watched Avatar)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Going back to the last page for a moment. As Doug went through the Last Airbender reviews, I looked forward to each episode with a little "oh, that's the one with.... I wonder what he'll think about that?" Meanwhile for each Korra review I watched the review first and then was like "oh, so that's what that episode was about, I guess". (In case you're wondering, I watched Korra well after I watched Avatar)

Didn't everyone?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Didn't everyone?

Some of us were capable of following the plot to a children's action show without needing it explained to us or :spergin: about Occupy or :spergin: about teenagers navigating their social lives or...

Goddamit, there I go again. Hey look, MikeJ reviewed a Snuggie!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Didn't everyone?

I mean I didn't rewatch Avatar since or anything, so Korra should (theoretically) be a lot easier to recall.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rebochan posted:

He did mention (in his 200th video anniversary?) that he stopped reading any Spider-Man comic after One More Day, so I don't think he'll be talking about Superior anytime soon.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I can't remember if I asked this in this thread already, but does Linkara ever review any Vertigo or Dark Horse comics like Buffy, Fables or the (former) Hellblazer? I would have loved to hear his take on them moving Hellblazer from Vertigo to DC Comics (essentially taking an "R" rated character and making him "PG").

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He mostly reviews bad comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How often has Linkara actually gone out and burned a bad comic? I know he burned Superman: At Earth's End but I've no idea if he's done likewise for anything else.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Metal Loaf posted:

How often has Linkara actually gone out and burned a bad comic? I know he burned Superman: At Earth's End but I've no idea if he's done likewise for anything else.

He burned One More Day too as well.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

toanoradian posted:

He did mention (in his 200th video anniversary?) that he stopped reading any Spider-Man comic after One More Day, so I don't think he'll be talking about Superior anytime soon.

Yea....I remember him tweeting that too after the 100th time someone asked him.

I can respect that a storyline ticked him off enough that he permanently gave up on a title, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's gotten much dumber than One More Day, so it's not like he's missing out.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

cubs2084 posted:

Guess I'm the only one who watched Nostalgia Critic's Les Miserables review, eh? It was pretty good stuff. I'm glad he paired with Paw and Oancitizen, as both know what they're talking about when it comes to music and theatrical/artsy stuff. All three combined to give a pretty balanced view on the film. The musical bits were pretty solid, and Linkara's part in particular had me in stitches. I wish Oan would sing more. Between this episode and the occasions when he's sung in his own series, the man can really carry a tune.

Watched it last night with the husband, which is always interesting, since my husband is an opera singer and extremely snobby about musicals. We both enjoyed the review. Linkara and Todd were hysterical. That goddamn fish noise out of Colm Wilkonson's mouth had me crying.

Honestly, it is a great review people should check out.

Platypus bunny.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

He mostly reviews bad comics.

I wish he'd do more stuff he actually likes. It's rare he actually does that, but it's usually gold when it is. Not unlike Cinema Snob. When Brad does a movie he honest to god is a fan of, it's usually top-tier stuff because it's riffing with love.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

cubs2084 posted:

I wish he'd do more stuff he actually likes. It's rare he actually does that, but it's usually gold when it is. Not unlike Cinema Snob. When Brad does a movie he honest to god is a fan of, it's usually top-tier stuff because it's riffing with love.

I remember he did a review of some good Teen Titans comics for a month but reviewing actual good comics is rare. At best you get the 'so bad it's good' comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Todd's uploaded his MTV vlog. Warning: contains Miley Cyrus.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'd be honestly curious to see Linkara do a review of Infinite Crisis (the comic, not the game).

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

After this week, I was dying to hear him talk about it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
New Best of the Worst

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SgtSteel91 posted:

I remember he did a review of some good Teen Titans comics for a month but reviewing actual good comics is rare. At best you get the 'so bad it's good' comics.
Yeah I think legit enjoyed the Snowflame comic because how could you not enjoy a comic about a villain powered by cocaine?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I think legit enjoyed the Snowflame comic because how could you not enjoy a comic about a villain powered by cocaine?

"EVERY CELL OF MY BEING BURNS WITH THE WHITE-HOT ECSTASY! COCAINE IS MY GOD... AND I AM THE HUMAN INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I must find The Amazing Bulk. :stare:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BigRed0427 posted:

Lupa did a review of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

And it is nothing short of amazing.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Lupa's Kickstarter-exclusive bonus chapter for my book was also about The Amazing Bulk. She rated it as "fantastiballs," which sounds about right to me.

Edit: My own personal opinion on the movie isn't that far from the Red Letter Media team, only not as harsh. I think it stays entertainingly ridiculous for most of the film, with the exception of the parade of stock images towards the end, when it feels like there's no longer even an attempt at a movie there. But like 80%+ of the movie is fun, and it's definitely worthwhile for bad movie fans.

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 29, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

The same guy did one called Aliens vs. Avatars which is also pretty amazing (link goes to Lupa Review)

He honestly seems like a pretty awesome guy since he loves the fact people find his movies entertaining as B movies.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Holy poo poo, the ending to that one is the hardest I've laughed at anything in weeks. It's so perfect.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Consistently the best show they do. :allears:

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
The director of The Amazing Bulk is legit a very awesome guy, talked to him on facebook and he did a cameo in my Aliens Versus Avatars review. In fact, he was the one who asked me to review it. And the movie itself is really amazing, the two years of waiting to see it released was totally worth it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
What makes his movies work is simply the heart put into them. There's a big difference between a movie that's a labour of love that doesn't quite accomplish its goals and a cheap cash-in. It's the difference between Roger Corman and Uwe Boll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last minute of that video is glorious.

• Locked thread