Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have tutorials for how to do hair? It seems like every time I try to draw hair/color/shade hair, I end up with anime-esque hair and I don't like it. I'm using SAI.

I liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHewz3JbKrQ

\/\/ Indeed. I really like both the content of his vids and his presentation style. They are very well done.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ProkoTV is my go-to for any specific anatomy features I may be struggling with. Make sure to check out the rest of his videos if you have the time.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Hello art people. I'm also a new wannabe-artist. I used to draw stuff in high school but then I stopped and now I'm out of college and I have basically no creative outlets, so I'm drawing again. I have a job so I'm not trying to be a career artist, I guess I'm just doing this as a hobby. I feel I am well-qualified to be an artist because I have occasional bouts of (non-clinical) depression and anxiety, and I hate myself sometimes.

A while ago I downloaded a copy of this book. I like it, but I don't know if it's a great resource compared to an actual class or something.

Should I post some pieces? Is this a good place for peer review? I feel like showing my work to experienced artists and asking what's wrong with it will just get me a :raise: "What isn't?"

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.

Garnavis posted:

Should I post some pieces? Is this a good place for peer review? I feel like showing my work to experienced artists and asking what's wrong with it will just get me a :raise: "What isn't?"

You should totally post pieces in the daily drawing and critique threads. Yes they will tell you how your art is bad, but that is the whole point. Learning how to accept negative feedback is tough, but is very helpful in pointing you in the right direction for fixing the issues. I mean isn't that relationship between "bad" artists and highly experienced artists the center of art schools?

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.

Ingenium posted:

You should totally post pieces in the daily drawing and critique threads. Yes they will tell you how your art is bad, but that is the whole point. Learning how to accept negative feedback is tough, but is very helpful in pointing you in the right direction for fixing the issues. I mean isn't that relationship between "bad" artists and highly experienced artists the center of art schools?

Sorry, I think I said that wrong. Criticism is good, definitely, I guess I just feel like you have to first get something right before you can meaningfully say what needs to be fixed, you know? Maybe that doesn't make any sense. I'll just shut up and post.

Freespyryt
Jun 13, 2011
Glad this thread is still going. I used to do a lot of art in high school, decided to be practical and became a nurse, found out I hated nursing and now I'm trying to get back into art because I thoroughly enjoy it and could use something fun in my life. I watched the ProkoTV as a result of this thread, and it was great. I noticed he has a program for figure drawing you can buy and was wondering...has anyone bought it? I'm just trying to figure out if the basic series is good enough, or if you'll really get more out of the paid version besides the ability to download the videos.
I also just want to say the resources here are awesome. I've utilized many of them. Thanks a bunch for putting this together!

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Garnavis posted:

Sorry, I think I said that wrong. Criticism is good, definitely, I guess I just feel like you have to first get something right before you can meaningfully say what needs to be fixed, you know? Maybe that doesn't make any sense. I'll just shut up and post.

People don't have to critique your drawing in itself to help you improve, your drawings will show what things you need to learn or practice. A comment like "you need to learn basic perspective, check out this book" is so much more helpful than "his right eye is too far up". So yes, just shut up and post. If you know which end of the pencil to put on the paper then your drawings are good enough for people to point you in the right direction.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

I recently found a series of youtube videos that seem pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjMvttRETaY. The dude seems a little weird but I really like the idea of going over all the bones and muscles in the human form, to see what the proportions and relationships are. The issue is that he only is giving the first 20 lessons for free, when he sells the rest on his site: http://www.alienthink.com/. While I am willing to spend the money for a good series of lessons, can anyone tell me if what he is teaching will be beneficial, or is there a better set of lessons that can teach me anatomy?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have good resources or tutorials for learning how to fill in hair and shadows with closely spaced parallel lines (hatching)? I've been looking everywhere for more help on doing these things and my searches are coming up empty handed. I always find stuff on crosshatching but I'm more interested in just hatching. Any links would be sorely appreciated!

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

Ingenium posted:

I recently found a series of youtube videos that seem pretty interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjMvttRETaY. The dude seems a little weird but I really like the idea of going over all the bones and muscles in the human form, to see what the proportions and relationships are. The issue is that he only is giving the first 20 lessons for free, when he sells the rest on his site: http://www.alienthink.com/. While I am willing to spend the money for a good series of lessons, can anyone tell me if what he is teaching will be beneficial, or is there a better set of lessons that can teach me anatomy?

I don't get why he has ratings and comments turned off for his videos, some good discussion should always be welcome. I don't like how he draws with small scratchy strokes either, it's not something people trying to learn should see. So no, I wouldn't give that guy any money. Also, I think the idea that you need to know a lot of bones and muscles to draw an acceptable figure is wrong. You can't do anything with that without knowing how to construct cylinders, cubes etc in perspective. Knowing how to construct basic shapes and cool gestures will get you so much farther than knowing a lot of anatomy:

I'm not saying anatomy isn't important, but I wouldn't spend much time learning more than basic proportions and a few major muscles in the beginning.

Here are a few things I suggest you check out, especially the first Youtube channel:
ProkoTV, by Stan Prokopenko: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV
Michael Hampton's page: http://www.figuredrawing.info/
Kevin Chen demos: http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/
Books by George Bridgeman, Andrew Loomis and Glenn Vilppu.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

noggut posted:

I don't get why he has ratings and comments turned off for his videos, some good discussion should always be welcome. I don't like how he draws with small scratchy strokes either, it's not something people trying to learn should see. So no, I wouldn't give that guy any money. Also, I think the idea that you need to know a lot of bones and muscles to draw an acceptable figure is wrong. You can't do anything with that without knowing how to construct cylinders, cubes etc in perspective. Knowing how to construct basic shapes and cool gestures will get you so much farther than knowing a lot of anatomy:

I'm not saying anatomy isn't important, but I wouldn't spend much time learning more than basic proportions and a few major muscles in the beginning.

Here are a few things I suggest you check out, especially the first Youtube channel:
ProkoTV, by Stan Prokopenko: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV
Michael Hampton's page: http://www.figuredrawing.info/
Kevin Chen demos: http://www.angelfire.com/art3/kchendemos/
Books by George Bridgeman, Andrew Loomis and Glenn Vilppu.

I have watched allot of ProkoTV and have spent a good amount of time looking at Andrew Loomis books, both of which have been great resources! i ended up shelling the money on that dude and I have actually been really enjoying it. His voice is odd but he really does seem to know his stuff. I do agree with the idea that knowing how to draw shapes in proper perspective is important, but it seems like studying anatomy really does a good job of understanding what those shapes really are, and how they slide on the form as the body moves.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I finished Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain recently, which has improved my observational drawing immensely, but I'd really like to branch out beyond meat camera-dom. Can anyone give me some advice or recommendations for resources or exercises so I can really get started drawing from the imagination? I have Loomis' and Bridgman's books, and I've put a dent in all of them, but I feel like those human figure references are only a smidge of what I should really know. At the moment I'm going through Preston Blair's book and I've read Creating Characters With Personality by Tom Bancroft. What would you guys recommend?

If it helps, at the moment I'm most interested in old-school (e.g. Fleischer, Nine Old Men, Looney Tunes) animation, but I really want to have as wide and versatile a skill set as possible.

EDIT: I guess what I'm really asking is how I can best use my improved (albeit admittedly imperfect) observational drawing skills to help me draw from my head.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Sphere-cube-tetrahedron person-drawing formula books are no substitute for figure drawing sessions, so see if there are any near you and go to them a bunch. Also draw other things from life a lot. It's probably not the answer you want to hear, but you're not going to be able to competently draw from your imagination without extremely strong foundations, and even the best artists, when they're not being pretentious dicks and trying to prove a point, will use life and references even in outlandish pieces.

If you just wanna draw something weird from your head to release then go for it, but it isn't gonna live up to your potential until you work on other things first.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was told in the October draw-every-day thread that if I posted anything that wasn't drawn from life, I'll be banned. I will obey for all new uploads. But I was honestly really proud of this drawing that I had done and posted a few days ago, which no one commented on, and I'm wondering if anyone here can look at it and tell me what it's lacking. Since I have already posted this before, and I don't plan on making a habit out of posting old drawings, hopefully I won't get into trouble. But I honestly feel like this is the best drawing I've ever done since I began practicing in earnest back in June (I've been practicing on and off for years), and I was hoping someone can take a look at it and tell me what mistakes you see that I don't.

Like I said, I will absolutely be doing only life drawings from now on. This is an OLD picture that I was very happy with, and thought was proof that I was improving, but apparently its still obvious that I lack "fundamentals". Can anyone explain what this means?

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 2, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
edit: nevermind lost cause

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 2, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Koramei posted:

Also draw other things from life a lot. It's probably not the answer you want to hear, but you're not going to be able to competently draw from your imagination without extremely strong foundations, and even the best artists, when they're not being pretentious dicks and trying to prove a point, will use life and references even in outlandish pieces.
No, that actually makes sense. I've been drawing from life a lot lately, and I took a figure drawing class a few years ago. Fortuitously, I'm a college prof, so I have easy access to figure drawing classes… when my schedule allows for it, which it never does. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and take one as soon as I can. I just have had trouble reconciling drawing from life or a picture with drawing straight from my imagination; even with references, they feel like two entirely different skills to me.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pheeets posted:

edit: nevermind lost cause

Whoa, what?! Why am I a lost cause? I know I need to concentrate on drawing from life and that's what I'm going to do. I'm determined to improve. What caused you to edit your post? :(

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 2, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Blue Star posted:

Whoa, what?! Why am I a lost cause? I know I need to concentrate on drawing from life and that's what I'm going to do. I'm determined to improve.

:raise:

neonnoodle posted:

This is exactly the problem: you're missing the forest for the trees. The problem isn't that the guy's legs are too long or that the lady's dress is messed up. The problem is that they are based on a lack of fundamentals, which need to be derived from life drawing. You're choosing to focus on relatively superficial mistakes, and ignoring the advice that many people in this thread have been giving you, which might actually help you to improve.

duralict fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I know I need to draw from life. I know I've been putting it off. That doesn't make me a lost cause.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blue Star posted:

I know I need to draw from life. I know I've been putting it off. That doesn't make me a lost cause.

Well that is exactly the reason why people are frustrated. What you are basically saying is: Okay you guys, my house is lopsided and half-buried in the ground because it doesn't have a good foundation, can anyone tell me how to arrange all the chairs in my house so that its good?

If you want to be good at realistic drawing you have to learn the fundamentals. Drawing from life, forcing your brain to try to convert a 3d image into a 2d one is going to help so much more than anything anyone can tell you at the stage you are at. Once you've seriously started that journey, you'll encounter problems and work through them. You'll make countless bad drawings but you will learn. As you learn to draw better, you'll also learn to see better and little by little you will become a better artist. Some days you'll like what you make, other days you wont but you will improve a little bit every time you do this. Don't be afraid, just get started and you'll see results. You can definitely do it.

But don't put it off. Procrastinate and it will take even longer. Spend 1-3 hours a day. If that is too much then every other day, or every three days or what have you. Not everyone has the same amount of time and that's fine, whats important is to use what time you got. You can do it but it just takes some work.

Here is a good exercise to try. Get some paper bags or pieces of paper and crumple them up in various ways. Get a lamp or other strong light source and shine it on the paper from one direction. Draw it as accurately as you can, which means spending some serious time on it. It might seem like an odd exercise but its really nice for developing your ability to see. Try to capture the shadows as well and get a full range of values. Draw it on a large piece of paper and spend a few hours on it. Post the result in the October thread and I'm sure you'll get some feedback. Best of all, if you go with the crumpled paper, no one will have seen the crumpled paper but you, so if you don't capture every little wrinkle it wont be noticed so long as capture enough of the important details so that it looks real. Definitely try to copy it as exactly as you can though. It's really a low stress exercise but one you can learn a great deal from in my opinion.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 2, 2013

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Blue Star posted:

This is going to sound harsh, but yes, it does.

You've been given the best advice that multiple threads can give you, and you refuse to take it. (And yes, saying "I know I need to do this, I'm just putting it off" is not taking the advice. It only counts as taking the advice if you act on it.) At this point, you've worn out your welcome, and people have stopped being willing to give you advice, because you have demonstrated to them that you have no intention of following up on the things you claim to know you need to do.

Fortunately for you, it is possible to stop being seen as a lost cause. There is one very easy way to do this: stop loving around and do the things you have been repeatedly told and claim you know that you need to do. Demonstrate that you can and will take the advice you're given, and maybe people won't be so frustrated with you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't like it because it's pretty boring and it's just a guy drawn with scratchy lines.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

CloseFriend posted:

No, that actually makes sense. I've been drawing from life a lot lately, and I took a figure drawing class a few years ago. Fortuitously, I'm a college prof, so I have easy access to figure drawing classes… when my schedule allows for it, which it never does. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and take one as soon as I can. I just have had trouble reconciling drawing from life or a picture with drawing straight from my imagination; even with references, they feel like two entirely different skills to me.

Honestly I think the best approach to the whole imagination thing (for me at least) is to dedicate somewhat equal time to doing experimental stuff in my sketchbook and drawing from life. Obviously that doesn't have to be a rigorous split like one hour today here means one hour today there. It's more on a weekly basis. I think the two activities feed off each other, the sketchbook stuff reinforces your ability to make better decisions about mark making and other aesthetic qualities and the life drawing helps you build your visual library, practice seeing, improve your workflow, etc. I've heard some people call it osmosis. Most importantly, remember that you don't have to constrain yourself to one activity just because you aren't the most perfect artist in the world yet :).

Go check out the kind of things people do in their personal sketchbooks. There are a lot of groups on Flickr dedicated to that kind of thing. I like this one because it's pretty diverse: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1316342@N21/ This book was also really neat if you ever want to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Drawn-Inspiring-Sketchbooks-Illustrators-Cartoonists/dp/1592536948/

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Blue Star, are you right-handed or left-handed?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pheeets posted:

Blue Star, are you right-handed or left-handed?

Left-handed. In the drawing thread I recently posted some drawings of my "off hand", which is my right one.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Blue Star posted:

Left-handed. In the drawing thread I recently posted some drawings of my "off hand", which is my right one.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you're being totally honest about what you're doing.

Here is the drawing you recently posted (October 1) of your "off" hand, your right hand:

Here are the drawings you posted in September about which you said: "I also sketched my own hands in a couple of poses."

I see a big deterioration in the quality of your "drawing" since September, and I also notice that the September drawings incude one of your left hand and also one of your right hand from a perspective other than your own. These cannot have been drawn from life, furthermore they are in a totally different style from the October drawing. The September ones look like they were copied from a book of "How to Draw hands". Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so. I think you're cheating, to put it bluntly.

Maybe my saying you were a "lost cause" was too harsh, and I apologise for that. But my conclusion is that you are not seriously interested in the advice you've been getting, therefore I feel it would be a waste of time for me to attempt any critique. I will just say that if you really really truly want to be a good artrist and not just a copyist, it's far better to go take classes in person where you will get the instructions you so obviously need. I wish you the best of luck, if this is what you want to do.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pheeets posted:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you're being totally honest about what you're doing.

Here is the drawing you recently posted (October 1) of your "off" hand, your right hand:

I see a big deterioration in the quality of your "drawing" since September, and I also notice that the September drawings incude one of your left hand and also one of your right hand from a perspective other than your own. These cannot have been drawn from life, furthermore they are in a totally different style from the October drawing. The September ones look like they were copied from a book of "How to Draw hands". Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so. I think you're cheating, to put it bluntly.

I don't understand. The October drawings look different because they were done in pencil whereas the other ones were done with a Wacom. I was far less careful with the September drawings so they are far sloppier. They were sketches while the October ones were more deliberate. As for the perspective, the top one was done in a mirror. The other one is of my left hand. The fist at the bottom is my right hand again. I don't know what you mean by deterioration in quality. How does any of this mean I'm cheating?

quote:

Maybe my saying you were a "lost cause" was too harsh, and I apologise for that. But my conclusion is that you are not seriously interested in the advice you've been getting, therefore I feel it would be a waste of time for me to attempt any critique. I will just say that if you really really truly want to be a good artrist and not just a copyist, it's far better to go take classes in person where you will get the instructions you so obviously need. I wish you the best of luck, if this is what you want to do.

I am interested or else I wouldn't be complying with neonnoodle to only post drawings from life. I appreciate any advice you can give me but if you feel it's a waste of time, you don't have to critique me.

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 3, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Blue Star posted:

I don't understand. The October drawings look different because they were done in pencil whereas the other ones were done with a Wacom. I was far less careful with the September drawings so they are far sloppier. As for the perspective, the top one was done in a mirror. The other one is of my left hand. The fist at the bottom is my right hand again. I don't know what you mean by deterioration in quality.

The middle hand is your left hand in a pose other than one you would have made while you were drawing with it, if you're left handed. I'm not entirely sure why you would lie about something like that though.

quote:

I am interested or else I wouldn't be complying with neonnoodle to only post drawings from life. I appreciate any advice you can give me but if you feel it's a waste of time, you don't have to critique me.

Uh yeah you don't get to choose whether to comply with neonnoodle or not; if you don't want to, you can leave.

I feel like at this point you shouldn't be getting advice from anyone. I haven't been in the daily drawing threads for the past couple of months, but even before that I remember you getting pages and pages of advice and taking literally none of it in. Go back and loving read those posts rather than coming into a new thread and asking people to stroke your ego or whatever the hell.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

The middle hand is your left hand in a pose other than one you would have made while you were drawing with it, if you're left handed. I'm not entirely sure why you would lie about something like that though.

I was drawing with it and sketching it. I don't see how that's so impossible. You just hold it up, look at it, quickly sketch what you can remember, then hold it up again, look at it, etc. and just keep doing that. :confused:

OxnardMontalvo
Oct 6, 2005

Poor devils.

Blue Star posted:

I was drawing with it and sketching it. I don't see how that's so impossible. You just hold it up, look at it, quickly sketch what you can remember, then hold it up again, look at it, etc. and just keep doing that. :confused:

That's not a good idea, dude. You're supposed to spend more time looking at the object/subject than your drawing itself. Also, you're changing the pose every time you move it, so you'll never get an accurate drawing.

For the love of god work on your line quality. Stop petting your lines.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Blue Star posted:

You hold your hand up, memorize it, pick up a pencil and draw what you remember, then put down the pencil and hold up your hand again, memorize it, pick up the pencil again...Ugh. That's the lamest, most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Nobody does that, and you are wasting everyone's time with your disingenuous nonsense.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
Actually. . . I think it's plausible because that hand looks too wrong to have come from either a book or actual observation. So do the rest of them, It looks like Blue is doing way more looking at the drawing than the subject, and if you're doing that putting a pencil down and picking it up again wouldn't seem like such a bad idea. :v:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pheeets posted:

You hold your hand up, memorize it, pick up a pencil and draw what you remember, then put down the pencil and hold up your hand again, memorize it, pick up the pencil again...Ugh. That's the lamest, most pathetic thing I've ever heard. Nobody does that, and you are wasting everyone's time with your disingenuous nonsense.

What?! I'm not lying about anything. I was told to draw something from life so I sketched my hands (and a gesture drawing of someone). They were just quick sketches using my hands as references, not attempts at accurately rendering my own hands. I don't know how to prove it to you :(

edit: I'll be frank: a lot of this is really sudden for me. Yes, I've been given advice in previous months' threads but I only remember being told to a) draw from life more often, and b) do gesture drawings. I've done both. Maybe not exclusively, and maybe not nearly enough, but I never completely ignored them. I was only uploading occasional drawings, things that I did for fun and which I would do anyway without anyone telling me to. I honestly wasn't aware that so many people were watching my progress (or lack thereof). So a lot of this frustration being directed at me seems really sudden. I'm sorry if everyone thought I was just blowing off their advice. I appreciate every scrap of advice I've been given! Thank you all so much for taking the time to even give my drawings a moment's thought! I genuinely love posting here and I want to keep participating, if I can. If I need to post only life drawings, then that's what I'll do.

I'm female. :shobon:
\/\/\/\/\/

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 3, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

The Worst Unicorn posted:

Actually. . . I think it's plausible because that hand looks too wrong to have come from either a book or actual observation. So do the rest of them, It looks like Blue is doing way more looking at the drawing than the subject, and if you're doing that putting a pencil down and picking it up again wouldn't seem like such a bad idea. :v:

It may not have been a book, it may have been something She saw on Imgur:

:v:

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 3, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Blue Star posted:

I'm female. :shobon:
\/\/\/\/\/

^^^^^^^
So am I! High five! No, with the left hand! :)

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~

Pheeets posted:

It may not have been a book, it may have been something he saw on Imgur:

:v:

Haha I have the same album off imgur open in my tabs right now. Wherever those hands might have come from, it wasn't strong observation.
Blue Star, the nice thing about practicing observational drawing is you don't have to make good art. A lot of it will be stuff that won't impress anyone, but if you've put in the effort you're still getting something out of it.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Blue Star, I'm going to be very direct with you here because you claim that you like getting advice. Do you actually look at art on your own? What kind of art do you look at? I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I'm just trying to understand why you can't see how unappealing the drawings you post are. When people say that they don't want to see any more pictures of bald humanoids, it's not because they reached their bald humanoid quota for the month. It's because your drawings just aren't aesthetically "pretty." Your lines are scratchy and shaky. Your drawings are just a ton of negative space with a random pose in the center. There is nothing distinct in the design. You're attempting to draw from life, great, but you really need to go out there and look at what other people on your experience level are doing. Some of it will be good, some of it will be bad, but all of it has the potential to help you learn. Can you tell me the major difference between this contour drawing of a hand and one of the drawings you made of your hand? I'm not talking about things like "the pinky finger is a little too long, I'll try to work on that next time" or any of that. I'm asking you to point out why this drawing of a hand, drawing of a hand not the actual hand, looks so different from yours. How did your artistic choices differ from this person's artistic choices? Who do you feel made a more successful drawing? Why is that drawing more successful? Why is the other drawing less successful? You really need to develop a critical eye for this stuff or you're never going to get better than you are now, end of story. You think having a critical eye means spewing out a bunch of words about why your drawing isn't perfect but that's not going to help you improve because the reasons you give are so peripheral to everything else that's wrong with the picture that no one even notices it. What you really need to figure out is how a well-composed drawing is put together. Go look at what kind of pictures are out there and mentally dissect them. Try to figure out why they are successful or unsuccessful as images. And lastly keep making art, you have nowhere to go but up.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Pheeets posted:

It may not have been a book, it may have been something She saw on Imgur:

It's not like there are so many positions hands can make; I'm not sure why we're trying to prove that Blue Star was trying to fool us with that drawing, there's plenty of other stuff to prod the guy about.

And Blue Star, you have literally been given pages and pages of advice. I have typed a couple of big posts for you, and I know other people have done even more. That you only remember 'a) draw from life more often, and b) do gesture drawings' is basically the problem. Go back and loving read what people have said. You showed incredible improvement in your first month or so and then ground to a screeching halt, so I know the advice I saw months ago is perfectly applicable to you now.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
    1. Don't look at the page. Stop looking at the page. Do not look at the page. Look at your subject.
    2. Don't try to "fix" the drawing. Don't look at the drawing. Look at your subject.
    3. Don't try to :airquote:sketch from reference.:airquote: That doesn't mean what you think it means. What you're doing is trying to draw from memory while actually mostly drawing by looking at your own drawings. Draw from a subject. Look at your subject.
    4. Stop looking at the drawing. Look at your subject. That is what "drawing from life" means. It means you are looking at your subject, and not at your drawing.

Personally I don't remember you at all, so my frustration is 100% new, and is mostly because you're really loving horrible at taking critique. Critique is not Explain Your Process Time. Critique is about making you produce better work, not about meeting some minimum quality standard. Don't make excuses about why this one piece is sloppy or whatever, nobody but you cares if it's your very finest piece or just something middle-of-the-road for you. Critique is also not Criticism Time. This is not the art version of literary critique, this is more like editing. It defeats the purpose if you try to corral the feedback you get towards specific things and ignore the actual critique ("I know I need to draw from life but what's wrong with his legs???").

In a nutshell, stop faffing and wasting everyone's time, shut the gently caress up when you get critiques unless you're specifically asking for clarification, and draw from life, which does not mean "occasionally looking at life" or "from memory" or "by making minor alterations to your existing lines until they look more like your brain's decided the lines 'should' look like even though the end result looks totally wrong to your eye". It means looking at your subject.

Please come back when you've got some stuff that's actually trying to improve. Don't get discouraged if it feels like a step backwards at first, you've been drilling bad habits in and now you've got a shitton of useless symbol-drawing you'll need to unlearn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Excellent advice

Take heed, Blue Star, you may feel a little picked on right now, but you literally did ask for it when you said

"This is an OLD picture that I was very happy with, and thought was proof that I was improving, but apparently its still obvious that I lack "fundamentals". Can anyone explain what this means?"

a few posts above. And all it takes to see what other stuff you've posted is a click on your profile, which is what I did. And what I saw was someone who said she wanted to improve but was posting various versions of basically crap. I'm a career artist and it frustrates me no end when I see young people asking for the secret to good art, because there IS NO SECRET. It's a little talent and a lot of hard work. A LOT. Art is a craft and you have to learn it by doing it. You have to draw every day if you want to improve and listen to people like DDG there (not gonna say it :)).

You don't have to post anything at all, ever, and approval from internet jerkettes like me means nothing when it comes to your own life as an artist. If all you care about is internet cred, fine, ignore me and people like me. But if you want to be a good artist, draw more. A lot more. Post less. Draw yourself, other people, boxes, firetrucks, but do it a lot and do the best you can, and I guarantee that within a year (yes a whole year) you will see a big encouraging improvement in your craft.

• Locked thread