Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't think I've ever had the twitch app work on any of my devices even once. I was using it mainly for push alerts to notify me someone was streaming, and even that has gotten hosed up recently. I get 4-5 alerts at the same time now, even if only one of the people are actually streaming.

But yes, an ATV makes it easy to stream video to your TV from your iOS device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I feel like the twitch.tv iPad app is a little bit more stable than the iPhone one. The iPhone is trash that constantly stutters and crashes. I can actually watch stuff for a decent length of time using the iPad airplaying to aTV.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I use the apps on both iPhone and iPad. It's a hell of a lot more stable now a days. It used or constantly try changing the resolution and break itself, but now it's actually relatively stable and almost always works nicely.

At least you can log in and chat on the iOS version, the android one is still way worse.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

As a side-note, you may risk voiding your home owners insurance by running power cables through the wall. Just something to consider.

Yeah, this is a big deal when you wall mount a TV. Only run romex to a new gangbox and attach the TV there with a tied/tucked power cable. Low voltage is fine, though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm having trouble setting up XBMC to see a shared folder on a Time Capsule drive. Anyone know how to do this? I'm wondering if the password on the disk is tripping it up.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Day 1 iPhone jailbreaker here but new aTV user. Just traded an aTV3 for aTV2 with 5.0 installed. I'm seeing some worthwhile updates between 5.0 and the latest 5.3 and would like to update, but want the ability to jailbreak this badboy as well.

Seas0nPass claims that it supports 5.3 tethered, so I will likely go that route unless convinced otherwise. When jailbroken, will I have access to Amazon Prime, Pandora, and other apps? (I'm coming from a Roku so I would like to retain access to these)

Any reason to stick with 5.0 untethered and not do 5.3 tethered?

e: managed to get everything set up, but XBMC is a steaming pile of poo poo so far.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 14, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
XBMC's default skin runs pretty painfully on ATV2. You should look at an alternative. Backrow I've heard is good. I'm running Ace, personally, which offers a fair bit of eye candy without an insane amount of overhead. I'm having some performance issues, but I think that might be due to the size of my library. Probably going to see if switching over to a MySQL DB helps with that.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm mainly getting "script failed" errors when attempting to run Amazon and other sourced programs. All my permissions are fine so I'm not sure what's up. I'll try those skins you mentioned also, thanks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

spongeworthy posted:

I'm mainly getting "script failed" errors when attempting to run Amazon and other sourced programs. All my permissions are fine so I'm not sure what's up. I'll try those skins you mentioned also, thanks.

I thought the Amazon Prime plugin no longer worked?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bucket Joneses posted:

I thought the Amazon Prime plugin no longer worked?

Oh, I have no idea - I'm brand new to aTV/xbmc. But it wasn't only Amazon, I had the same errors with Crackle and at least one or two others also.

Google hits didn't bring up anything about Amazon specifically being borked.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just bought a new PC with Windows 8 (Home) on it, installed the latest iTunes. Previously, had Apple TV 3 working just fine Home Sharing over wi-fi from the old PC with Windows 7 (Pro) and iTunes 11. Both rigs have the same ethernet connection to the router.

Now, I find that I get the spinning circle on the Apple TV when trying to start a show or movie Home Shared from Computers unless I just recently quit and restarted iTunes. Also for reference we were watching an HD movie last night streamed over Home Sharing and the movie would cut out about every 30 minutes (that is, 30 minutes of content had loaded, and when it hit the limit, end). Restarting iTunes would allow us to get another 30 minutes of content or so.

Previous to that I was able to start say one 10-minute show, watch it for a minute or two, but switching to another show would give me indefinite spinning circle. I believe one time a show started up after the spinning circle was showing for over 10 minutes.

So far, I have tried rebooting the Apple TV, toggling Home Sharing on iTunes, rebooting the Windows 8 machine, checking to make sure Bonjour was whitelisted in Windows Firewall and running automatically as a local service, uninstalled Bonjour, installed Bonjour Print Services 2.0.2 for Windows, uninstalled that when it didn't work at all, reinstalled Bonjour from Bonjourx64.msi (from the iTunesx64 package), then checking to make sure it was running automatically and firewall whitelisted again. I've also explicitly whitelisted iTunes in the firewall at this point and setting the rig to never sleep.

Any ideas from here?

Running as administrator seems to have fixed things, or maybe some combination of the above.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 23, 2013

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
I installed Plex on my iPhone and iPad. Only spent $5 and now I can run just about any movie on my mobile devices and can airplay it to my Apple TV 3 without jailbreaking. That is pretty darn cool. People don't really talk about how awesome Plex is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Medikit posted:

I installed Plex on my iPhone and iPad. Only spent $5 and now I can run just about any movie on my mobile devices and can airplay it to my Apple TV 3 without jailbreaking. That is pretty darn cool. People don't really talk about how awesome Plex is.
Well a lot of people, myself included, have been doing this with AirVideo for years so I've never had to look into an alternative and didn't even know Plex was available!

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Plex is on sale today for $1.99 instead of $4.99. All your excuses for not trying it yet are melting away...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Aphasian posted:

Plex is on sale today for $1.99 instead of $4.99. All your excuses for not trying it yet are melting away...

What does it do that AirVideo doesn't? Been using it for years

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

vaginal culture posted:

What does it do that AirVideo doesn't? Been using it for years

It scans your media files and adds Metadata from TheTVDB and the MovieDB. It keeps track of what you've watched and not watched, and will do things like create a list of "On deck" episodes, where it will list the next episode of shows you've watched recently. It also has plugins that allow you to watch certain web videos or interact with other programs (such as iTunes), though not all of these are compatible with iOS.

Essentially it's a full-featured media center as opposed to a simple media player. That's not a knock against AirVideo, it's great and it does its job awesomely. I just prefer all the features Plex offers.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've found Plex to be generally more pleasant to use compared to AirVideo.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I may or may not have tried this the other day, and I may or may not have thought it was the coolest thing ever.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/apple-tv-to-get-automatic-touch-to-configure-setup-via-bluetooth-40-ios-7

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's actually a really, really cool way to quickly configure a tv-connected device. Really, really cool.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
New updates today: Vevo, Weather Channel, Disney/Disney XD, Smithsonian Channel.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd really like it more if they just made a remote control that shows what is on the AppleTV screen on your ipad/ipod and you select and queue stuff up and press a play button to execute it on the AppleTV itself. I generally sit in a corner reading a book and having to get up, turn the TV on, then stand in front of the TV to just change a radio station, then turn the TV back off is annoying.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Philthy posted:

I'd really like it more if they just made a remote control that shows what is on the AppleTV screen on your ipad/ipod and you select and queue stuff up and press a play button to execute it on the AppleTV itself. I generally sit in a corner reading a book and having to get up, turn the TV on, then stand in front of the TV to just change a radio station, then turn the TV back off is annoying.

I think you should be using your iPad/iPod to play music and just send it to your Apple TV using AirPlay.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Legdiian posted:

I think you should be using your iPad/iPod to play music and just send it to your Apple TV using AirPlay.

Sounds like exactly what he wants...

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
What the hell is up with the Disney channel icons?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
DO NOT loving UPDATE TO LATEST. Breaks Plex connect loophole!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That seems like it should be common sense if you're relying on an unsupported hack.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sure except the last update or two didn't affect it, so it's worth letting folks know to avoid it now.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
Vevo is cool

Smithsonian's video seems to stutter

Disney- I'm going to block the disney apps. The icons may be ugly but the content is uglier.

Weather Channel: I wish this could be embedded into the home screen

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Does the update that breaks Plexconnect download and install automatically? this blog post seems to imply that it does. I'm away from my atv box right now so I'm not sure.

e: those disney icons just showed up on my friends ATV so I guess it is a silent update.

frogg fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 28, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's the one that aded the Disney channels, then I think so. I turned it on today so I could update and get those, and then noticed they were already there and no update was available.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

frogg posted:

Does the update that breaks Plexconnect download and install automatically? this blog post seems to imply that it does. I'm away from my atv box right now so I'm not sure.

e: those disney icons just showed up on my friends ATV so I guess it is a silent update.

Yes and yes. :( drat update. Didn't want any of that poo poo.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
Someone already found a workaround -- see http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/. Need an osx machine to be able to inject a self-signed cert on the appletv.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry for any ignorance here, I'm new to aTV. Are you saying it is updating itself in the background forcefully? Or is there something else going on here

e: I have the new channels but jailbreak seems to be OK for the moment

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 28, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dromio posted:

Someone already found a workaround -- see http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/. Need an osx machine to be able to inject a self-signed cert on the appletv.

Even though I'm always a bit daft at this type of stuff, I'm doing ok. However I'm at the part after it has me download a new fork of Plex Connect and says I need to alter settings.cfg file. but the new fork folder doesn't seem to contain that. Just a settings.py.

[edit] Ok I figured out how to get the cfg file. You run: sudo ./PlexConnect.py and it generates one. I altered it (it would only let me make a duplicate) using Textedit, and saved it by changing to to settings.cfg (and getting rid of the original)

but this is the error I am getting when I actually TRY it:

raise NoOptionError(option, section)
NoOptionError: No option 'port_ssl' in section: 'PlexConnect'
19:56:43 PlexConnect: WebServer not alive. Shutting down.
19:56:43 PlexConnect: Shutting down.
19:56:48 DNSServer: Shutting down.
19:56:48 PlexConnect: shutdown

I am wondering, can I not make a cfg by saving a txt in textedit and then just renaming it? What should I use then?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
edit: old info.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I made the cfg file using bbedit. All seemed well. Everything is plugged back in and running however I still just get "Trailers is unavailable. Try again later."

I followed the instructions to a T.

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
Lock up your microwaves... SwearingScience is here!

Feenix posted:

I made the cfg file using bbedit. All seemed well. Everything is plugged back in and running however I still just get "Trailers is unavailable. Try again later."

I followed the instructions to a T.

(Author of the fix here)

Could you post your Settings.cfg and the output you get when you run PlexConnect? Also, the guide has just been updated to cover Snow Leopard and Windows users.

Edit: Anybody who applied the fix last night or earlier today should also update the software. I fixed a slow XML loading bug by moving to a threaded HTTP server and then just now fixed a stupid mistake where I was running a watchdog loop as fast as possible and using up a full CPU core.

Rura Penthe fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rura Penthe posted:

(Author of the fix here)

Could you post your Settings.cfg and the output you get when you run PlexConnect? Also, the guide has just been updated to cover Snow Leopard and Windows users.

Edit: Anybody who applied the fix last night or earlier today should also update the software. I fixed a slow XML loading bug by moving to a threaded HTTP server and then just now fixed a stupid mistake where I was running a watchdog loop as fast as possible and using up a full CPU core.

Ok:

Settings.cfg contents:
code:
[PlexConnect]
logpath = .
enable_dnsserver = True
ip_webserver = 0.0.0.0
prevent_atv_update = True
enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True
port_pms = 32400
port_webserver = 80
ip_plexconnect = 0.0.0.0
ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
loglevel = Normal
ip_pms = 192.168.178.10
enable_plexgdm = True
port_ssl = 443
certfile = /Applications/PlexConnect-master/Trailers\ Files/trailers.pem
Output in Terminal

code:
11:30:16 DNSServer: Domain: p01-keyvalueservice.icloud.com.akadns.net
11:30:16 DNSServer: ***forward request
11:30:16 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
11:30:16 DNSServer: DNS request received!
11:30:16 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 57628)
11:30:16 DNSServer: Domain: p01-keyvalueservice.icloud.com.akadns.net
11:30:16 DNSServer: ***forward request
11:30:16 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
12:00:06 DNSServer: DNS request received!
12:00:06 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 51963)
12:00:06 DNSServer: Domain: p01-keyvalueservice.icloud.com
12:00:06 DNSServer: ***forward request
12:00:06 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
12:00:06 DNSServer: DNS request received!
12:00:06 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 51630)
12:00:06 DNSServer: Domain: p01-keyvalueservice.icloud.com
12:00:06 DNSServer: ***forward request
12:00:06 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher level
12:28:31 DNSServer: DNS request received!
12:28:31 DNSServer: Source: ('192.168.1.9', 60582)
12:28:31 DNSServer: Domain: p01-keyvalueservice.icloud.com.akadns.net
12:28:31 DNSServer: ***forward request
12:28:31 DNSServer: -> DNS response from higher leve
And I did it last night. What exactly do you mean by redownload the software? Which part? The fork on GIT? Should I just start over?

Appreciate your help! :)

Rura Penthe
Jun 2, 2000
Lock up your microwaves... SwearingScience is here!
The backslash is unnecessary in your path to the certificate. That's what's causing your problem. When you drag/drop it adds that but the cfg system doesn't need escaped spaces.

That said, since iBaa has now merged my changes I'd suggest just cloning/updating from the primary repo and running through the newly updated tutorial. It will guide you on where to put the certificate now and avoid the pathing problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm assuming you mean the one before Applications?

• Locked thread