Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Rokstar posted:

I'll give a hint rather than outright spoil it (but putting it in spoilers anyway just in case): Just think of the central theme of the game, and then also think about the fact that K isn't exactly happy at the person she's directing that to and so would probably use a word with a negative connotation there.

Yeah, I was trying to work that angle but nothing seems to fit. Should have worked harder on those SAT vocabulary ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

JDM3 posted:

How long do they last, when is the next one likely to happen, and please promise you'll announce it ten or 15 times in thread please?

I am so loving sick of rerolling this poo poo

I say take one of your less lovely rolls and play that for a while to get accustomed to the game and its mechanics while befriending the automatic random kids that add you. Waste your magic stones as you like and don't put any actual money into the game.

Then when a godfest actually happens start a new game. You'll be super good at the orbs matching and then you'll be smart enough to save stones, get goon friends, and really poopsock the game.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lt_Tofu posted:

Yeah, I was trying to work that angle but nothing seems to fit. Should have worked harder on those SAT vocabulary ugh.
Okay, slightly more spoilery hint: Think back to the very first page of the game and the word that was blacked out there.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Is anyone playing Ravenmark? I've been really enjoying it, but I've reached a level I just cannot complete and it's affectively ended the game for me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I really liked Blackbar, but I thought it was pretty short for a $3 game. Great idea for a puzzle game though, I hope they either release more content or make a sequel.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Daveski posted:

I really liked Blackbar, but I thought it was pretty short for a $3 game. Great idea for a puzzle game though, I hope they either release more content or make a sequel.
Yeah it's extremely short. I think I finished it in something like 45 minutes. It was a fun idea though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The wizard is awesome. Excelsior! The Protos guy is pretty rad too. I got them on sale, they're neat. I haven't really touched the base heroes, but you know that map with the ship? Protos guy shut down that opening for the entire game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I'm stuck again in blackbar. All I'm given is made glorious (six letter word) by this daughter of kent

I'm guessing it rhymes?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm stuck again in blackbar. All I'm given is made glorious (six letter word) by this daughter of kent

I'm guessing it rhymes?
Think back to the last letter you got from that person.

And more spoilery hint: It's a Shakespeare reference.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

The Rokstar posted:

Think back to the last letter you got from that person.

And more spoilery hint: It's a Shakespeare reference.

I was thinking of lament or something like that. What Shakespeare play?

Nvm. Googled it, haha. Never would have guessed that.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 26, 2013

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Rokstar posted:

Okay, slightly more spoilery hint: Think back to the very first page of the game and the word that was blacked out there.

Thanks, finnaly figuired it out with some help form a theusaurus. I have no idea why I didn't think of it sooner.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Finished blackbar, great game. Very short though.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I'm hopelessly addicted to Blizzard's Hearthstone game. Are there any TCG on the App Store that are pretty good? Looking for something that's easy to pick up and play and online multiplayer would be a plus.

Thanks

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Polegrinder posted:

I'm hopelessly addicted to Blizzard's Hearthstone game. Are there any TCG on the App Store that are pretty good? Looking for something that's easy to pick up and play and online multiplayer would be a plus.

Thanks

I think you're in luck as Solforge just entered open beta and the app is currently live on the App Store. It's iPad only, but will definitely scratch that Hearthstone itch until its released on iOS (hopefully) later this year.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Sock The Great posted:

I think you're in luck as Solforge just entered open beta and the app is currently live on the App Store. It's iPad only, but will definitely scratch that Hearthstone itch until its released on iOS (hopefully) later this year.

Awesome, thanks! I'm installing it now!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
So, is Star Command actually good? I read the reviews and I'm a little worried that it's just a Kairosoft in space (which isn't bad, just something I've done a lot before).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I liked Star Command for what it was, but it's probably a bad game and is largely unfinished. Wait for a sale or content patch.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Polegrinder posted:

Thanks

Urban Rivals has an iOS client.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

foutre posted:

So, is Star Command actually good? I read the reviews and I'm a little worried that it's just a Kairosoft in space (which isn't bad, just something I've done a lot before).

Star Command was one game that a lot of the big review sites just got straight up wrong. It's really repetitive and unfunny.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man Urban Rivals is a really fun game. Nice quick strategic battles and pretty much the least money grabby TCG I have come across (except for Cardmaster conflict but lets not go there). I played it for about 2-3 years before getting tired of it.

Edit: I checked out my old cards. Many of them are banned for being too good and are now collectibles (not in packs anymore). So I guess my poo poo is worth tons of in game money.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 27, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

UncleSmoothie posted:

Star Command was one game that a lot of the big review sites just got straight up wrong. It's really repetitive and unfunny.

but... Antorians.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Thanks

There is also might & magic duel of champions. You can get pretty far without spending any money. There are a bunch of codes floating around for free boosters.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

foutre posted:

It's poo poo and I didn't even follow the kick starter.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shwqa posted:

Oh man Urban Rivals is a really fun game. Nice quick strategic battles and pretty much the least money grabby TCG I have come across (except for Cardmaster conflict but lets not go there). I played it for about 2-3 years before getting tired of it.

Edit: I checked out my old cards. Many of them are banned for being too good and are now collectibles (not in packs anymore). So I guess my poo poo is worth tons of in game money.

I've heard the

Geburan posted:

There is also might & magic duel of champions. You can get pretty far without spending any money. There are a bunch of codes floating around for free boosters.

Is this iPad only? Not showing up for me

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

I decided to try soul forge and I have to say I don't get it. Every game seemed to boil down to whom ever gets higher level cards first (which is completely random) wins.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

I decided to try soul forge and I have to say I don't get it. Every game seemed to boil down to whom ever gets higher level cards first (which is completely random) wins.
No? You level cards by using them; you play a level one card, and the next time you draw it, it will be level 2. At least, this is what I remember from playing the iPad one some time ago.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

duckfarts posted:

No? You level cards by using them; you play a level one card, and the next time you draw it, it will be level 2. At least, this is what I remember from playing the iPad one some time ago.

Yeah it is that. But your not guaranteed to pull those level 2 cards. So if you opponent pulls two level 2 cards (about 50% stronger than a level 1 card) and you pull none, then your basically playing catch up until either you get lucky and they don't or you lose. God help you if they pull a level 3 and you only pull level 1 cards.

I will to say I'm just a newbie and don't understand the game, but it seems completely luck based.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

wise goons posted:

Star Command = bad

Alright, that's a shame. The OP got me so excited for it. Guess I'll keep looking for the perfect iOS spaceship management game (maybe FTL will come to iOS?).

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Genius is suggesting two interesting looking games: Le Havre and 10000000. Besides whether they're any good, what does the gameplay involve?

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Regarding the paid heroes in Kingdom Rush: Frontiers: I got the game when it was on sale recently and really liked it so I went and bought some heroes, namely the dragon, the rock guy and the healer.

The dragon is definitely strong, and the part where it, you know, has wings is great for mobility. The fact that it is flying, though, makes him less reliable and less controllable as far as picking targets. While he can dish out some great damage, he's not really the best at stopping enemies that are slipping past my defenses, which is what I most often use my heroes for.

The healer I was curious to try, but due to her reliance on having a barracks nearby to be really useful, I ended up not using her that much.

The rock man is decent enough for stopping dudes, has great survivability and okay damage, so he's good for stopping single big enemy units. Still, if the objective is to stop and/or delay the enemy, you're still probably better off using either the beastmaster (my #1 choice) or the swordsman (haven't used him after unlocking other heroes, but his sandmen seem to be good as well).

I'm not regretting paying for the heroes, but I wouldn't call them much more useful compared to the trio of free guys you get. Still fun to use from time to time, though!

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Project1 posted:

Genius is suggesting two interesting looking games: Le Havre and 10000000. Besides whether they're any good, what does the gameplay involve?
10000000 is a "match three blocks" game with an RPG theme - you attack opponents by matching swords and staves, open chests and doors by matching keys, and collect resources to upgrade your castle (read: boost your stats) by matching wood and stone blocks. It's pretty fun.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Zero Star posted:

10000000 is a "match three blocks" game with an RPG theme - you attack opponents by matching swords and staves, open chests and doors by matching keys, and collect resources to upgrade your castle (read: boost your stats) by matching wood and stone blocks. It's pretty fun.

You mean like Bejewelled?

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
It's like that but a lot more involved, you have to actually decide which types of icons to match in order to get past the current obstacle, or you die. And there's a lot of time pressure too.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

Yeah it is that. But your not guaranteed to pull those level 2 cards. So if you opponent pulls two level 2 cards (about 50% stronger than a level 1 card) and you pull none, then your basically playing catch up until either you get lucky and they don't or you lose. God help you if they pull a level 3 and you only pull level 1 cards.

I will to say I'm just a newbie and don't understand the game, but it seems completely luck based.

It's really about deck construction and strategy. Don't be afraid to sacrafice cards (even kill your own creatures or play spells without targets) so that they level up quicker (some cards will even not count towards your 2 cards per turn at level 2) and find a creature to spell ratio that works for you (I find 2:1 is a nice balance).

There's also a Solforge thread in games:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560617

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah 10000000 is good, much more involved than bejewelled. As mentioned above there is a lot of time pressure to match the correct icons to beat the enemies and collect resources for upgrades. Also the music is brilliant!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Project1 posted:

Le Havre is a really fairly complicated (but cool) adaptation of a worker placement/resource management board game. Cut your teeth on Agricola or something first, if you haven't already.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Has anyone tried War of Eclipse? Looks interesting.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm apparently pretty dumb because I can't get past like the sixth level of black bar, where you have to figure three short bars

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm apparently pretty dumb because I can't get past like the sixth level of black bar, where you have to figure three short bars
Is that the "It'll be my job to ___ ___ ___ to people" part? Unfortunately I don't really have good hints for that, I'll just say since the first blank is 2 letters to keep trying 2-letter words until you get it, then hopefully the rest will be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

Is that the "It'll be my job to ___ ___ ___ to people" part? Unfortunately I don't really have good hints for that, I'll just say since the first blank is 2 letters to keep trying 2-letter words until you get it, then hopefully the rest will be easier.

Yeah. It'll be my job is sort of XX XX XXXX or something like that. Utter horsehit imo.

E: And now i'm finished.

It was pretty cool, but a lot of things were kind of annoying imo, usually all the letters from your friend. Two or three in particular. The one where you draw the heart and the one where you have to misspell poo poo, and the backwards/upside down one.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread