Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Man I'm lucky.

Mine just threatens to leave me for Anderson Cooper. Way more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Was it O'Keefe who got punched in the mouth by that protester in Wisconsin (Michigan?), or was it that conservative "comedian" guy?

EDIT: Ahahaha he labelled getting a book thrown at him "minor assault". Didn't he sexually "minor assault" some woman, or am I thinking of someone else?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That was Crowder, I think, who turned out to have (shockingly) provoked the incident.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wouldn't be happy about a USPS guy reading my postcards. Outraged? Maybe not. The more pertinent example would be someone on the bus or in another public place leaning over and looking at what you're doing on your phone.

Do you want to murder them? No
Would you want to forcefully tell them to get the gently caress out and escalate when they keep doing it? Yes

Again I'm not taking or defending her position, just saying its not a simple as "she loves Obama so that's why she has no problems with it".

I guess I sort of agree with her, being an individual who has and still currently ingests various drugs when I call my supplier I don't say "Hey I need some weed" because I'm fully aware that god knows who could be listening. Granted codewords are stupid too as anyone listening I'm sure knows exactly what we're talking about, but I've never in my life assumed phonecalls or emails are private so I was more surprised by people acting like this is some out of the blue thing and not something that's gone on for decades.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Toasticle posted:

Again I'm not taking or defending her position, just saying its not a simple as "she loves Obama so that's why she has no problems with it".

Totally understand, I was just struck by her assertion there.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
I don't listen that carefully but I think she was comparing it to email since emails go through god knows how many servers before it reaches the recipient all of which have people who could read it if they wanted to.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You wish, this is every Econ 101 class in the country. The one I took a while back had like a bunch of questions and examples like that, IIRC we had like 5 problems on a test that were calculating when a person would want to go on welfare rather than work. I think it had to do opportunity costs but gently caress if I remember.

This is why whenever I get some Reddit libertarian spouting "At least I understand Econ 101" at me, I just laugh and ignore him.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

That was Crowder, I think, who turned out to have (shockingly) provoked the incident.

Correct. As far as I know, O'Keefe has never been assaulted. And if I had to guess, assaulting him would land you in the same situation as if you assaulted somebody from WBC. People like O'Keefe and Alex Jones are looking for someone to hit them. Without that, their fantasy doesn't make as much sense.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Correct. As far as I know, O'Keefe has never been assaulted. And if I had to guess, assaulting him would land you in the same situation as if you assaulted somebody from WBC. People like O'Keefe and Alex Jones are looking for someone to hit them. Without that, their fantasy doesn't make as much sense.

I dunno, the last time someone beat the poo poo out of Alex Jones, it was pretty hilarious.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Phone posted:

then turn around and start complaining about how the Hispanics take more than they contribute to the church.

Whoah, stop. This is kind of a milestone that we should all observe. Please, new Pope, tell me more about how the worldwide Christian church isn't morally bankrupt beyond any hope of reorganizations around its founding principles.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We're not all misanthropic autists. :colbert: (Just the entirety of the Austria and Chicago schools.)

Economics is mostly notable for A) having dreadful macro models and B) being much more directly related to political agendas than most soft sciences. There's plenty of interesting and decent analytical work that goes on, but the closer you get to either the halls of power or the macro-er topics, the more the guys reading chicken entrails are going to get coopted.

Nah, many of you do good, important work that creates value (economic and otherwise). Keep it up. I'm sure you're appropriately ashamed of some of its national and global applications.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Honestly though, most of that clip was about him being all :qq: about not being granted interviews by people. Maybe if his entire career hadn't been about editing people he'd interviewed in the past to fit his narrative or even breaking into a senators office and wiretapping them they might be reluctant to grant him an interview... but nope, it's because he's the one "trying to speak truth to power" and they are afraid of that "truth".

Wasn't O'Keefe's "defense" for breaking into Landrieu's wire closet based on her saying that her office was getting so many calls about Obamacare that the lines were being tied up, and he suspected that they were intentionally blocking calls from The People so he was investigating to find proof of it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It wouldn't shock me if his defense was, "it was a joke!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's his defense for everything, including his face and his life.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phone posted:

It wouldn't shock me if his defense was, "it was a joke!"

IIRC when he got caught committing voter fraud he said he was doing it to prove how easy it was (to justify voter suppression of course).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

IIRC when he got caught committing voter fraud he said he was doing it to prove how easy it was (to justify voter suppression of course).

Getting caught and giving this as your reason is beyond delicious. It's super easy guys!! Really! *fails to do it, gets caught in feeble attempt*

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

ReindeerF posted:

Yep. The state prosecutors looked at the unedited tape and decided to press no charges against any union members.

He literally was going out of his way to try to force a physical reaction.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I majored in Economics in Spain. Boy was that fun. I remember in my upper level econ courses I had a prof obsessed with Austrians who used pdfs from the mises institute as course material. (This guy: http://mises.org/daily/author/1259/) He was constantly warning us of the evil hyperinflation that would swallow us up any day now!! He also said something like people make less money because they don't work as hard, therefore they don't deserve to make more money - to which I asked why he didn't come to school in a rolls. I guess he just didn't work that hard. I saw him use a student's research paper in one of his own publications. She was thrilled of course. He later ended up loving and marrying a student about 10 years younger than him. The kicker - he was a Canadian citizen.

He was constantly mocked by the other profs, Europeans following the Keynesian model who were actually competent. Unfortunately, the libertarian shitbird was made department head because the US-run home campus liked the libertarian's politics better.

I also liked a Spanish econ prof we had who could barely speak English yet insisted on giving classes in that language anyway. He said that people who wanted negative externalities were "kinky and fetish people."

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I had my first US history class outside of AP high school material (1870s-1980s), and the biography of Ronald Reagan is required reading for the class...

At least the Prof was not a Confederate Revisionist also.

Edit: Is it just me or is it better when the professor just out and out admits to having a bias and then just continues with class? My high school teacher was quite open about his conservationism and he was one of the better teachers I've had. He was an enjoyable speaker and I never had to look for hidden agendas.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I wonder how the Right is going to handle the revelation that Reagan almost certainly aided Saddam in his use of WMDs in the 80s. I mean, I know they're going to just say it's false but hey, a man can dream.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wonder how the Right is going to handle the revelation that Reagan almost certainly aided Saddam in his use of WMDs in the 80s. I mean, I know they're going to just say it's false but hey, a man can dream.

They will either ignore it or find some way to praise it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Unzip and Attack posted:

The same way they have been for twenty years, by ignoring it.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

AShamefulDisplay posted:

They will either ignore it or find some way to praise it.

He only used them against filthy Iranians and Kurds. What difference does it make?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

foot posted:

He only used them against filthy Iranians and Kurds. What difference does it make?

I'm pretty sure Kurds are one of the "good ones." Heck we justified the invasion by claiming to be "protecting" them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This goes here because Daily Caller:

http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-students-first-lady-michelle-obama-food-tastes-131827085.html

quote:

Students in a rural Kentucky county — and their parents — are the latest to join a growing national chorus of scorn for the healthy school lunches touted by first lady Michelle Obama.

“They say it tastes like vomit,” said Harlan County Public Schools board member Myra Mosley at a contentious board meeting last week, reports The Harlan Daily Enterprise.

The growing body of USDA meal regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010″ has long been a signature issue for the first lady.

Denizens of Harlan County don’t much care, though. Their primary concern at the board meeting was a bevy of complaints that local children are starving at lunch — and for the remainder of the school day — because the food on offer in the cafeteria is crappy and there isn’t nearly enough of it.

“Kids can’t learn when they’re hungry!” parents shouted to the board, according to the Enterprise.

Other gripes involved the new bread, which students don’t want to eat because it’s brown wheat bread, and the new milk, which is skim or one percent fat, not two percent or whole. The cafeteria’s chocolate- and strawberry-flavored milk offerings are now nonfat.

...(cont'd)...
It's just loving hilarious. God forbid kids should be compelled to eat something even remotely healthier than before. Gah BROWN BREAD!!! Yinz ain't gon make me eat that it done taste lahk vomit!@#! If we had to re-settle the continent at this point, we would fail miserably, what with all the vegetables and organically raised foods. How did the Minutemen hold out so long without carbonated drinks and fast food?

EDIT: I have never been to this place unless I drove through it, and I'm not sure Justified counts as any kind of accurate portrayal, but I would bet blindly that it's all Rascal scooters and what not.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 27, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Gee I thought it was the conservatives who were all about child discipline and bucking up and respecting authority but here they are going to bat for some kids who are apparently throwing temper tantrums over their president being a different color.

Oh poo poo I meant bread being a different color, sorry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And with the new school lunch regulations kids can take literally as many vegetables or fruits as they want and can fit on their plate.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

greatn posted:

And with the new school lunch regulations kids can take literally as many vegetables or fruits as they want and can fit on their plate.

I'm not sure how that's supposed to help unless they can also take as much ranch sauce as they can fit on their plate.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah but they taste like VOMIT. UGH.

I mean, seriously, since when doesn't school lunch taste like vomit? I'm sorry you can't get your vomit in greasy-bread-and-cheese form anymore, lil' Lonnie Don. Kids are loving stupid, that's why they're kids. Most of us wanted to shovel crappy pizzas and gravy down our throats and wash it down with Coke when we were kids because we were stupid. The parents are my favorite part, because it's their job to work toward correcting this behavior. My little Lonnie won't eat this HEALTHY CRAP and he goes HUNGRY!!! Change it back to UNHEALTHY CRAP!!! Ah don't wont no OBONGO BREAD@#

:ughh:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You want to see food that tastes like vomit, try those awful cardboard pizzas I used to get in my school cafeteria. Cafeteria food has always tasted like crap.

quote:

which is skim or one percent fat, not two percent or whole
gently caress I wish they did this when I was in school, I never drank school milk except very occasionally a chocolate milk, because I was raised on skim and found whole milk kinda disgusting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm amazed by how much food these kids are actually eating. I was a big kid and my favorite lunch from 6-10 years old was a single hot dog with ketchup and a handful of chips.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
My friend saw an obese woman in Wal-Mart. (I know you're all amazed to learn this) Her kid was tugging on her shirt begging her to buy some water. "Mom I'm thirsty." "I AIN'T PAYIN' FOR NO WATER, BUY SOME SODA" she screeched.

Maybe she was just concerned about the environmental costs of bottled water.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SedanChair posted:

My friend saw an obese woman in Wal-Mart. (I know you're all amazed to learn this) Her kid was tugging on her shirt begging her to buy some water. "Mom I'm thirsty." "I AIN'T PAYIN' FOR NO WATER, BUY SOME SODA" she screeched.

Maybe she was just concerned about the environmental costs of bottled water.

Honestly? Can't fault that. Bottled water is a massive ripoff in most places in the US due to the water quality out of the tap. If you're not rolling in cash and want to buy beverages you may as well get something--even empty calories--for your money.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I really do think that reaction is not just being offended that they took away the fried chicken and pizza. It's also fear that the program will actually work. They're terrified that little Johnny might develop a taste for arugula.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/kentucky-students-first-lady-michelle-obama-food-tastes-131827085.html
It's just loving hilarious. God forbid kids should be compelled to eat something even remotely healthier than before. Gah BROWN BREAD!!! Yinz ain't gon make me eat that it done taste lahk vomit!@#! If we had to re-settle the continent at this point, we would fail miserably, what with all the vegetables and organically raised foods. How did the Minutemen hold out so long without carbonated drinks and fast food?

EDIT: I have never been to this place unless I drove through it, and I'm not sure Justified counts as any kind of accurate portrayal, but I would bet blindly that it's all Rascal scooters and what not.

quote:

there’s a calorie cap: 850 for high school lunches, 700 for middle schools and a mere 650 calories for kids in elementary school.

this part really blew my mind. a mere 650 calories for elementary school kids for a 6 hour school day!! oh god think of their poor bellies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It is working. They reported a drop in childhood obesity last year for the first time in forever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

greatn posted:

It is working. They reported a drop in childhood obesity last year for the first time in forever.

Because they're starving to death, you statist!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know that orange juice you have every morning? You know what's in that? Corn. And you know what's in the maple syrup you put on your pancakes? You know what makes it taste so good? Corn. And when you're good and help with the trash, you know what makes the big, green bags biodegradable?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Wait, I thought hunger was supposed to be a good motivator :confused: Or is that only for minorities and poor people?

Branis posted:

this part really blew my mind. a mere 650 calories for elementary school kids for a 6 hour school day!! oh god think of their poor bellies.

Oh dear god no, a mere 50+% of their daily caloric need!! Won't someone please think of the fat white children?!

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 27, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hunger is a good motivator, but only when paired with janitorial work. Otherwise ketosis turns you liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ReindeerF posted:

Ahahaha. These people are just like the lovely adoptive parents in the Harry Potter books. Their ickle Duddly-kins must be at least 400 lbs or that drat school is starving hiiiim!!!:byodame: