Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Snuffman posted:

Had a chance to play with it.

It still doesn't work quite right...they seem to be tracking the mass market price, not the kindle price.

I was all excited cause Pierre Burton's books were actually reasonably priced. No...not really...ugh.

So what's the dealio? I imported my wishlist, but I don't see any option to track the kindle price over the mass market. Do I need to recreate my wishlist?

I'm going to email them about it, cause other that the above problem, the site is perfect. :(

EDIT: Yeeeaaah...this is definitely a problem with how Amazon handles the wishlist, not the site. If I manually input the kindle book url, it tracks properly. Or not. URL or ASIN, neither work. Still tracks the paperback.

That's odd. I just checked my list of about 40 books, and in every single case I tried it showed the Kindle price and linked to the Kindle edition. I'm using the Canadian version of the site with my Amazon.ca wishlist, but before we had a Kindle Store here I used the American version with no trouble. I always added the Kindle version of the book to my wish list, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight has dropped to $99

This is a good price if any of you were on the fence about an eReader with built-in light. I'm tempted just to pick a couple up as a gift.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only downsides to owning a nook glowlight :
1: They only give you a crazy small amount of the available space for your stuff, like 750 megs tops. Can't recall the exact number offhand.
2: The screen gets little lines on it if you ding it with something. I didn't have a cover for mine, and apparently something hit the screen, and while it didn't crack it or break it, it did cause it to get a weird little line of light when the screen is on.

So basically, buy a cover for it, and pick up a cheap micro sd card and have an awesome ereader.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Did they improve collection management on later Kindles? I have I don't know how many gigaborts of space on my Keyboard but books are relatively tiny, and I already have enough on there that it's a huge mess of stuff. It's nice to have a large collection of stuff all on one device so it's right there, but it's also not really nice at all in practice (especially if you're browsing).

750MB sounds more than enough unless you're loading up on PDFs or audiobooks, but maybe y'all have fancy management software in yer newfangled e-readers that light up. Or were Nooks always pretty good at that?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

baka kaba posted:

Did they improve collection management on later Kindles? I have I don't know how many gigaborts of space on my Keyboard but books are relatively tiny, and I already have enough on there that it's a huge mess of stuff. It's nice to have a large collection of stuff all on one device so it's right there, but it's also not really nice at all in practice (especially if you're browsing).

750MB sounds more than enough unless you're loading up on PDFs or audiobooks, but maybe y'all have fancy management software in yer newfangled e-readers that light up. Or were Nooks always pretty good at that?

You can organize Kindle stuff pretty nicely with Calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Series management is still pretty cruddy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

You can organize Kindle stuff pretty nicely with Calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin.

Sounds like I need that plugin, I use Calibre but I could never set collections tags from there.

But still, unless you have a nice tagging system set up in advance you're still limited when you have the Kindle in your hand. You can still be looking at a whole lot of stuff and be unable to drill down the way you want to. And yeah, there's some useful metadata it straight-up doesn't care about. It just doesn't feel suited to managing large collections, which is why it's kinda weird they put so much storage in there

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

tarepanda posted:

I was disappointed with this when I switched from the Keyboard to Paperwhite. :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

That looks really nice but unfortunately doesn't seem to work with the Touch or presumably the Paperwhite according to his forum thread anyway :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

I was mistaken on the numbers, it's like 240 megs.

They say OH IT'S 2 GIGS OF SPACE, but half is not available for content and the other 1 gig is split into a 75/25% grouping for bn.com and your stuff.

250~ megs of storage space is not THAT many books.

HOWEVER, like I said, cheap sd card and boom, it's awesome.

If you root it, there's an addon called shelves that works like a champ for series stuff on the nook.

Series stuff has ALWAYS sucked rear end on the kindle, and will more than likely continue to suck rear end, and it's one of my major pet peeves about the brand.

Weirdly enough, SONY of all companies has the best series setup, just kinda crap readers compared to the big 2.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tarepanda posted:

Yeah. I just prepend series name with numbers to the titles so they sort right.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. I just prepend series name with numbers to the titles so they sort right.

That's what I do, though it gets annoying sometimes when it makes the title too long.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is it possible to make subfolders in kindle? (with plugin or not)

My books are currently organized by Genre:
-Science
-Mysteries
-Scifi
etc..

I'd love to organize them more indepth as many of my categories are getting close to hundred:

-Science
--author1
--author2
-mysteries
etc...

I have kindle keyboard, if that affects anything.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Question about loaned Kindle ebooks.

A friend of mine loaned me a book and the loan "expires" in a few days, yet I won't be finished by then. Will the book just automatically disappear in three days? If I don't connect it to wifi/3G it should stay on my Kindle and allow me to finish it, right?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

SB35 posted:

Question about loaned Kindle ebooks.

A friend of mine loaned me a book and the loan "expires" in a few days, yet I won't be finished by then. Will the book just automatically disappear in three days? If I don't connect it to wifi/3G it should stay on my Kindle and allow me to finish it, right?

Correct.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I just got a used kindle keyboard as a gift...it apparently had charging issues but I haven't had any. Is a screen protector necessary or am I good to go with just a case to avoid display scratches?

If you didn't already end up with a case, I have this one from Tom Bihn: http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB1214.html

It's a nice padded/plush case and fits the Kindle Keyboard nicely. Additional bonus points in that it integrates well if you have a bunch of Tom Bihn poo poo like me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any way I can see which Kindle books have an automatic update waiting? The Kindle page just tells me there's an update available, but not for which book. I understand it's meant to download and replace any copies I have automatically, but it's nice to know exactly what's being improved.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So has Amazon fixed the Paperwhite's screen? Those little dark spots at the bottom of the screen are complete hell for someone who is a little OCD like me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So has Amazon fixed the Paperwhite's screen? Those little dark spots at the bottom of the screen are complete hell for someone who is a little OCD like me.

That's impossible to "fix". There will always be minor uneven lighting.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Geek U.S.A. posted:

I can see the uneven lighting at the very bottom if I look for it, but I don't notice it at all. There's the key difference. When a review takes pains to show it in a photo, it's obvious. But I really didn't notice it after 10 minutes, even when I fire it up in pitch dark I don't notice it anymore.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way I can see which Kindle books have an automatic update waiting? The Kindle page just tells me there's an update available, but not for which book. I understand it's meant to download and replace any copies I have automatically, but it's nice to know exactly what's being improved.

You don't get this on the Manage My Kindle page?

They still don't tell you any details though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

smackfu posted:

You don't get this on the Manage My Kindle page?

They still don't tell you any details though.

Nope, I don't get anything like that. I'm on Amazon UK, who are at least 12 months behind even minor stuff from the US. Sometimes we don't get cool Amazon stuff at all :negative:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Good news, looks like we're getting paid in December.

quote:

Dear Kindle Customer,

Last fall we notified you that you are entitled to a credit for some of your past Kindle book purchases as a result of legal settlements between several major book publishers and the Attorneys General of most U.S. states and territories. We wanted to let you know that two more publishers have since settled with some State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs and these new settlements may increase the amount of the credit you will receive. A formal notification from the Court about these settlements is included below.

You do not need to do anything to receive this credit. If the Court approves the settlements in December 2013 and there is no appeal, a credit will appear automatically in your Amazon.com account that can be used to purchase Kindle books or print books. We will contact you when the credit is applied to your account. While we will not know the amount of your credit until the Court approves the settlements, it is estimated that it will range from $0.73 to $3.06 for every eligible Kindle book that you purchased. To be eligible, you must have a U.S. billing address and must have purchased a Kindle book published by Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin or Macmillan between April 1, 2010 and May 21, 2012. These publishers will provide the funds for the settlements.

If you have already requested a check instead of a credit in response to the notice you received last fall, that request will cover these additional settlements and you do not need to do anything else. If you would like to request a check, you may do so by following the instructions included in the formal notice of the settlements, set forth below. You can learn more about the settlements at https://www.amazon.com/help/agencyebooksettlements

In addition to the account credit, the settlements impose limitations on the publishers’ ability to control eBook prices. We think these settlements are a big win for readers.

Thank you for being a Kindle customer.
The Amazon Kindle Team

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Good news, looks like we're getting paid in December.

I was all excited till I saw "US Billing Address". :(

Makes sense though, seeing as the whole lawsuit was in the US.

I did see the mention of pricing restrictions, could this mean the return of cheap ebooks? Time will tell!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I literally just bought a paperwhite yesterday. Guess I'm sending it right on back:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689652/amazon-accidentally-leaks-new-kindle-paperwhite-september-30-availability

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pipes! posted:

I literally just bought a paperwhite yesterday. Guess I'm sending it right on back:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689652/amazon-accidentally-leaks-new-kindle-paperwhite-september-30-availability

That does look nice (although I hope paperwhite gets at least some of that via software updates, but who am I kidding, this is Amazon we're talking about), and between that, Matchbook and the book settlement, things are shaping up nicely:

quote:

If you've ever purchased physical books from Amazon, you'll soon be able to buy those same titles for your Kindle at virtually no cost. Amazon calls the new initiative Kindle MatchBook, and in many ways it resembles what the company's AutoRip program did for music; buy a physical version, and receive a digital copy to go along with it. But whereas the MP3s you get from AutoRip are always free, the retailer will be charging a nominal fee — between $0.99 and $2.99 — for the Kindle version of a paperback or hardcover you've ordered. Some titles enrolled in the program will be free, however.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689346/amazon-kindle-matchbook-bundles-physical-books-with-ebooks

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 3, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

That does look nice, and between that, Matchbook and the book settlement, things are shaping up nicely:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689346/amazon-kindle-matchbook-bundles-physical-books-with-ebooks

Matchbook is really cool except that my Amazon account was compromised a few years ago so I had to get a new one and my actual purchase history prior to that goes back a lot further than 2010 or whatever it was. :(

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

That does look nice (although I hope paperwhite gets at least some of that via software updates, but who am I kidding, this is Amazon we're talking about), and between that, Matchbook and the book settlement, things are shaping up nicely:

Kindle touches have gotten significant software updates after the paperwhite was released. There's no reason to suspect they won't continue the trend of updating both the current and previous device.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

the littlest prince posted:

Kindle touches have gotten significant software updates after the paperwhite was released. There's no reason to suspect they won't continue the trend of updating both the current and previous device.

I skipped a generation I guess, but it seems like this has been pretty inconsistent in the past. Here's hoping for something good though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not going to even look at the new PW because my 1gen PW is such a great device that I literally can't think of a single flaw. I'd rather not see something faster/contrastier and start nitpicking.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Martytoof posted:

Not going to even look at the new PW because my 1gen PW is such a great device that I literally can't think of a single flaw. I'd rather not see something faster/contrastier and start nitpicking.

I wouldn't worry. Like you said, the differences are refinements, rather than any major improvement. I'd only jump on the new model if I had a pre-Paperwhite Kindle.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Martytoof posted:

Same, however I look forward to getting cheap first gen PWs as gifts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I actually want one at work now and this might be a good time to look for a second hand 1gen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My keyboard model is still trucking and I have no need to upgrade at all. Time to start sort of half hoping it fails I guess.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My keyboard model is still trucking and I have no need to upgrade at all. Time to start sort of half hoping it fails I guess.

Send it for free to a person in a country with super-stupid importation laws and buy yourself a paperwhite ;)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hah, you rational goons kill me. More responsive screen and even better contrast? I am all over this like a cheap suit. I am such an Amazon slut. I've got a Paperwhite and I shall be looking at this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

One thing I wish they'd add in a firmware update is the ability to set a default contrast for PDFs.

The G1 paperwhite is amazing at PDFs, but you (or rather, I) have to consistently set the contrast to its highest for it to be the most readable it can be.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

No love for the new Kobo Aura?

Pocket integration, bitches!

I won't be trading up, as there doesn't seem to be much difference than the Aura HD other than: it's smaller and slightly thinner, it has a capacitive touch screen, and it has lower resolution (but fewer page refreshes). Pocket integration is coming to the Aura HD via firmware update, so I might as well go find a nice case and settle in for a year or two.

How much longer do we have to wait for a dual-screen or dual-display tablet, where it's either a two-sided tablet with e-ink on one side and lcd on the other, or they're layered on top of each other and you can switch between?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I may already have asked this, but I'm in Canada and imported a PaperWhite from the USA before it was available here so my account is on amazon.com as opposed to amazon.ca.

Every time I log into amazon to manage my kindle content I get a message up top offering to switch me to amazon.ca. If I've never had a single problem finding what I want from the .com store, is there really any reason at ALL to switch it over to .ca? I don't at all care about buying in Canadian dollars vs American money since that's automatically converted, and I'm not really sure I've ever said "I couldn't find that in the American store but it's available here in the Canadian one", so I'm kind of wondering whether or not anyone else has done this and regretted it or what.

Does it prevent you from shopping on amazon.com after the fact or what? I'm not really sure what the point is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Martytoof posted:

I may already have asked this, but I'm in Canada and imported a PaperWhite from the USA before it was available here so my account is on amazon.com as opposed to amazon.ca.

Every time I log into amazon to manage my kindle content I get a message up top offering to switch me to amazon.ca. If I've never had a single problem finding what I want from the .com store, is there really any reason at ALL to switch it over to .ca? I don't at all care about buying in Canadian dollars vs American money since that's automatically converted, and I'm not really sure I've ever said "I couldn't find that in the American store but it's available here in the Canadian one", so I'm kind of wondering whether or not anyone else has done this and regretted it or what.

Does it prevent you from shopping on amazon.com after the fact or what? I'm not really sure what the point is.

Back when the changeover first happened, most of the books I checked as a reference were slightly cheaper on the .CA store. The difference is usually less than a dollar but sometimes more, though, not counting the currency differences. Every so often I'll not be able to get a book from the .CA store that I could in the .COM store, but that's pretty rare. If you buy a lot of books you will probably end up saving a decent amount of money if you switch, otherwise it's probably not enough to matter. I would load up two tabs side by side, .CA and .COM, and search for five or six books you're interested in to see if it would matter.

It will lock you out of buying from the US Kindle Store, however. For what its worth, I haven't regretted switching.