Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Hey can anyone help me out? I just got this game from my brother plus the big DLC pack and for some reason it keeps on causing my video driver to crash randomly when I access a menu or load.

Also is there any way to turn off the xp granting DLCs or is it basically a case of just having to deal with it?

Have you updated your video card drivers?

For DLC: :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Someone posted a method in this thread for disabling the cheat DLCs. http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4292

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So I managed to piss off Not Ping right after she sent me a message about some big score she wanted me to help with. Now I don't know how I'm supposed to do whatever quest that was. Did I just miss out on this playthrough or can I still do it somehow?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You cannot lock yourself out of any content in this game. If it looks like something was possibly missing, that's just a hook left over from trimmed down story content cut during the development process. Don't sweat it.

Also, she shows up again in a DLC story pack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wei "Non-lethal Force" Shen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wei Shen arrests people like I did in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wei's just in the wrong universe, he needs to hang out with Judge Dredd.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I like to think of it as them being replicants and him retiring them. Sometimes he retires humans by mistake, that's minus fifteen points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I tried out the other outfits and weapons when I got back into the main game. The prospect of infiltrating the triads while dressed as a beat cop tickles me, but the lightning warrior sword has a finisher where you hack the sword down into a guy's skull. :stare:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Wei "Non-lethal Force" Shen.

Those fish look so happy to be impaling someone.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Been playing this quite a bit over the last few days, though I think I originally picked it up during the Winter Holiday sale.

This may be the game that makes me pick up a controller for some of the fighting, as I seem to have difficulty pulling off moves like the leg break except by happy accident.

Plus I have a huge craving for pork buns now, it's ridiculous.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This is the game that got me to buy a controller, and it honestly made an already good game about 500% more fun. Definitely worth doing.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Been playing this quite a bit over the last few days, though I think I originally picked it up during the Winter Holiday sale.

This may be the game that makes me pick up a controller for some of the fighting, as I seem to have difficulty pulling off moves like the leg break except by happy accident.

Plus I have a huge craving for pork buns now, it's ridiculous.

Went to a Cantonese bakery in Philly's Chinatown yesterday and had an internal voice shout at me, "Why do you not have a pork bun in your hand??" and got myself a pork bun.

I've found that the combat timing is more forgiving and paced-out than I think it seems. I can hit my buttons much more slowly than I think I need to, and I'll still pull off good combos. It's much more deliberate than spastic clicking, and that worked out for me.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Caufman posted:

Those fish look so happy to be impaling someone.

"Finally my life's work pays off."

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Hey can anyone help me out? I just got this game from my brother plus the big DLC pack and for some reason it keeps on causing my video driver to crash randomly when I access a menu or load.

Also is there any way to turn off the xp granting DLCs or is it basically a case of just having to deal with it?

If nothing else works, try running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Worked for me in the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man the fight in the spike pit on Zodiac Island is some bullshit. At least its the last of the DLC missions and I can finally cross Sleeping Dogs off the backlog.

I dont want to though!

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Hey I'm picking this game up new tomorrow for the 360, unless someone can tell me why ps3 would be a better choice. PC is out of the question due to how crappy mine is.

I have a question about DLC which ones should I get? I sort of want to concentrate on ones that add missions and such.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Man the fight in the spike pit on Zodiac Island is some bullshit. At least its the last of the DLC missions and I can finally cross Sleeping Dogs off the backlog.

I dont want to though!

But have you gotten gold on all challenges (including Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake)? :unsmigghh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blackray Jack posted:

Hey I'm picking this game up new tomorrow for the 360, unless someone can tell me why ps3 would be a better choice. PC is out of the question due to how crappy mine is.

I have a question about DLC which ones should I get? I sort of want to concentrate on ones that add missions and such.

Do you have PS+? It may still be available for free on there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
^^^ It's not free to Plus anymore.

Blackray Jack posted:

Shanakin posted last page what DLC you should buy:

Shanakin posted:

Here's something I wrote up a few pages ago during the steam sale...

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

RagnarokAngel posted:

^^^ It's not free to Plus anymore.

Shanakin posted last page what DLC you should buy:

Thanks. I'm on a bit of a short time frame in between deciding, kept myself in the dark about this game and new for 30 is pretty nice so I'll have good fun until GTA V.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BBJoey posted:

But have you gotten gold on all challenges (including Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake)? :unsmigghh:

I gave up on gassing people in year of the snake, that one can stay silver. :smith:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I keep discovering new little things in Sleeping Dogs.

While wandering through North Point the other day, I saw three girls doing a photo shoot near a park, with a couple of photographers taking their picture.

Then while running through an alley in Central (I think near the apartment for that), there were two guys having a long conversation, which finished when one of them said, "So are we going to stand here all day, or what?" Then both of them urinated against the wall of a building.

I also had a mission fail today because I killed a bum on my way to leading him into a massage parlor to extort money out of the owner. That's one hell of a failure condition.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"You have the power to use angry bums as an extortion tool" is probably one of the better ways to describe Sleeping Dogs.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Finally 100% the game earlier today by earning the Rogue Cop gold medal. I like to think that Wei Shen going down in a massive gun battle dressed as a SWAT while shooting his fellow officers is the actual, canonical ending to Sleeping Dogs. :unsmith:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Jet Jaguar posted:

I keep discovering new little things in Sleeping Dogs.

Then while running through an alley in Central (I think near the apartment for that), there were two guys having a long conversation, which finished when one of them said, "So are we going to stand here all day, or what?" Then both of them urinated against the wall of a building.

Is a reference to the episode of Always Sunny where they try out for the Eagles?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Got around to completing the Wheels of Fury DLC on my third playthrough, to earn myself a Batmobile. Was it cheating to use it in that long race in the Street Racer pack? I hope so. I hope so.

Beat cop uniform plus cop car playthrough is now beat cop uniform and Batmobile playthrough. This game never gets old.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Some interesting stuff up at http://www.sleepingdogs.net/globalstats

The most popular radio station seems to be HKLUB, which is an odd way to spell Daptone.

Also not as much time spent in Aberdeen. Probably because there is nothing there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jet Jaguar posted:

Some interesting stuff up at http://www.sleepingdogs.net/globalstats

The most popular radio station seems to be HKLUB, which is an odd way to spell Daptone.

Also not as much time spent in Aberdeen. Probably because there is nothing there.
Right now it says Softly, which is :psyduck:.

I always put the radio on Boosey & Hawkes, it gives your driving a lot more gravitas.

1600 m for the longest car jump seems a bit sketchy, though.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Right now it says Softly, which is :psyduck:.
Nah, that makes a lot of sense, Softly is legitimately the best station. The first time I got into a boat, the sun was going down and this song started playing, I began driving around aimlessly and bumping into other boats and ramping off of them, it was magical. Listening to Softly is like being in a Chinese version of Drive.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Strangely enough, while I fairly often choose my radio stations when I'm playing GTA, in Sleeping Dogs I actually just tended to go with the flow with whatever came on. Some things I just wasn't keen on, but I really liked some of the more atmospheric and electronic stuff, and Chinese pop in particular.

I do like the look of Aberdeen - I've never been to Hong Kong so I don't really know how accurate it actually is - especially details like the floating fish market, but yeah, in terms of stuff to do in the game, it's probably the weakest area not counting Victoria Peak.

I had some leftover credit on my Xbox so I decided to get Zodiac Tournament. Pretty fun, I was really just expecting Enter the Dragon: The Game complete with cheesy stylistic throwbacks, and it mostly delivered. The highlight for me was the fight with the American boxer dude after being poisoned. The spike fight took me a few goes before I finally noticed the big glaring hint on the screen and I was a little bit disappointed that the rich guys paying to see you all fight to the death don't get their comeuppance or some sort of conclusion. The little bits of fighting style trivia you'd get when finding the collectibles were neat, coming from a shrimpy white Brit who knows little about martial arts outside of movies. Just a shame it wasn't longer, but it was only £3-4 so I'm not really complaining.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Strangely enough, while I fairly often choose my radio stations when I'm playing GTA, in Sleeping Dogs I actually just tended to go with the flow with whatever came on. Some things I just wasn't keen on, but I really liked some of the more atmospheric and electronic stuff, and Chinese pop in particular.

Yeah, I did this too. A lot of good stations to choose from helped. I mean they may not have been standout amazing but none of them were bad. GTA and Saints Row always have at least one station I just cannot listen to, Sleeping Dogs did not.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I do like the look of Aberdeen - I've never been to Hong Kong so I don't really know how accurate it actually is - especially details like the floating fish market, but yeah, in terms of stuff to do in the game, it's probably the weakest area not counting Victoria Peak.

Aberdeen is a quieter, more relaxed residential area in real life too, so it being a more chill place where not much happens is kind of fine. It looks amazingly like the real thing. As with the rest of the game world, it's not a 1-1 translation, but it nails the overall look and feel just right. It's my favourite area purely because it's the one place where you can really step back, and see the tall buildings with the tall green mountains behind it. In Hong Kong, it only takes a few minutes to get out of the city and into an area that isn't surrounded with buildings and the other areas don't and couldn't (and in fact shouldn't) show that.

Also, that big floating restaurant owned by Big Smile Lee, well some friends of mine had their wedding reception on the top deck of that, so I always get a kick out of getting into fights there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Parkingtigers posted:

Aberdeen is a quieter, more relaxed residential area in real life too, so it being a more chill place where not much happens is kind of fine. It looks amazingly like the real thing. As with the rest of the game world, it's not a 1-1 translation, but it nails the overall look and feel just right. It's my favourite area purely because it's the one place where you can really step back, and see the tall buildings with the tall green mountains behind it. In Hong Kong, it only takes a few minutes to get out of the city and into an area that isn't surrounded with buildings and the other areas don't and couldn't (and in fact shouldn't) show that.

That's a good point about the greenery actually. While I've never been to Hong Kong, I have been to Singapore with its similar contrasting areas of clustered tower blocks and then more open, greener areas with the tropical foliage. A number of games seem to forget that variation is what makes a city interesting, if it's supposed to be an enticing open world and not a constrained dystopia. This is why I - and I'm sure I'm not alone here - rate Sleeping Dogs far beyond the True Crime games. I think it was a huge step up to go with an abridged version of Hong Kong Island and then stripping that down further to four/five fairly distinct real-life areas. True Crime had the street geography, which I admit to have liked simply because I've never been to New York or Los Angeles, but otherwise they didn't feel like cities. I think it's easy to under-design a city but Sleeping Dogs goes a good way in the other direction.

quote:

Also, that big floating restaurant owned by Big Smile Lee, well some friends of mine had their wedding reception on the top deck of that, so I always get a kick out of getting into fights there.

That's pretty awesome.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Saw this on the Sleeping Dogs Twitter account:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DarrellGallagher/20130822/198839/How_do_you_tackle_industry_change.php

Darrell Gallagher posted:

I look at a game like Sleeping Dogs, with a world-class development team at United Front Games behind it and still see over half a million people continuing to play it every month.

That is A LOT of running over pedestrians, trying on new clothes, drinking tea, and hijacking vehicles.

And we just passed the year anniversary of the game, I was kinda hoping for a new announcement or even a DLC release. Speaking of the game's birthday, some fan also sent them this film, which isn't driving a motorcycle inside an apartment but is still pretty good.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

So, I got this on steam super sale and having a good time. Is there a way to stop the game grabbing control of the camera when I put the car in reverse? It's driving me crazy.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Griffon posted:

So, I got this on steam super sale and having a good time. Is there a way to stop the game grabbing control of the camera when I put the car in reverse? It's driving me crazy.

Don't reverse, just hold the ebrake and gas and do a donut.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Griffon posted:

This is absolutely the worst part of the game. Which for being the worst, makes the game not so bad after all.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Speaking of the soundtrack, is there a compiled list of all the songs on the radio? There used to be a neat YouTube playlist of them all, but it recently got taken down. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

PunkBoy posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, is there a compiled list of all the songs on the radio? There used to be a neat YouTube playlist of them all, but it recently got taken down. :(

Noooo, I loved that playlist :(

here's a list.
http://sleepingdogs.wikia.com/wiki/Soundtrack

Also this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znBKFp_o74Q

although I don't think it has everything, certainly most of it though.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 27, 2013

• Locked thread