Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Killing is like a perfect example of why the TVIV Echo Chamber can be pants-on-head stupid once it decides that something sucks. The second season is terrible both on its own and for retroactively squandering a pretty good first season, but the first season was mad decent and the worst criticism they seem to be able to offer up is flippantly paraphrasing the plot beats to make it sound stupid:

So yeah, it's not masterful god-tier television or anything but season 1 of The Killing is a perfectly watchable slow-burn detective show.

Sorry but the US Killing is total garbage. The stories and acting are just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sorry but the US Killing is total garbage.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the endless circlejerks about how much American TV sucks. Those were pretty lovely, too.

The best was when the OP of the TVIV thread accused The Killing of being "directly stolen" from Forbrydelsen when the show is an official remake of Forbrydelsen and the opening titles have a card that reads "BASED ON THE DANISH SERIES FORBRYDELSEN" :monocle:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can we all just agree Top of the Lake is better?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Yellow Sea proved to be a heck of a thriller about a downtrodden taxi driver who's wife left to raise money in Korea and hasn't been heard of since. He is offered a way out of his immense debt and a chance to find her by performing a hit on a stranger in Korea.
Its by the same director as "Chaser" and I would love to share a trailer but would instead suggest you watch it cold. Also the drat trailer shows most the movie.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is the Netflix version of Miller's Crossing in the correct aspect ratio?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

The Yellow Sea proved to be a heck of a thriller about a downtrodden taxi driver who's wife left to raise money in Korea and hasn't been heard of since. He is offered a way out of his immense debt and a chance to find her by performing a hit on a stranger in Korea.
Its by the same director as "Chaser" and I would love to share a trailer but would instead suggest you watch it cold. Also the drat trailer shows most the movie.

I actually saw this in a theater and it was awesome. Loved all the action scenes and all of the goddamn knives in the movie. Seriously so many knives!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Toebone posted:

Is the Netflix version of Miller's Crossing in the correct aspect ratio?

Nope!

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

The third season of The Killing is so great. Please watch it before you judge it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Man on Wire - 2008 Oscar-winning documentary about the loon French dude who wirewalked between the two World Trade Center towers in the 1970s. I think it was on my list of movies to see since it came out, so 5 years after the fact isn't too bad I guess :) It was very engaging with humorous reenactments interspersed with the backstory of this group of lunatics (well, really the main guy and his band of magnetically-attracted followers). This entire stunt is something that could never be done today (in the US at least); even if they did pull it off, the outcome would have been far more severe. Refreshingly, 9/11 was never even mentioned.

Oh, I watched Zodiac too based on the recommendations of this thread. I liked it well enough, but I can see why it wasn't a mainstream hit. It needed something... more to pull in the average movie goer for a nearly 3 hour movie, especially when a lot of it focuses on procedural red tape. My least favorite part was the Hollywoodism of casting Jake Gyllenhaal and Chloë Sevigny as supposedly ordinary-looking people. I don't know why that of all things grated on me so much; maybe I'm sick of the TV/movie trope of putting glasses and a sweatshirt on a model to make her look 'undesirable'.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I just noticed 56 Up is now on Netflix. It's the latest in a series of documentaries that have followed a group of British people starting when they were seven years old and checking back on them every seven years. Nothing really exciting or dramatic happens in the series, it's just interviews with the same people (although some of them chose not to be in certain installments). It might not sound all that interesting, but the series as a whole is absolutely one of my favorite documentaries, probably about on the same level as Hoop Dreams (which is also amazing and on Netflix). They used to have the entire series streaming, but it appears they've taken down all but the latest. They might all still be on Youtube though, since that's where I originally watched them before I got a Netflix account.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Woah cool a Netflix thread. Guess I'm late to the party. Looking for any comedy suggestions or just talking about terrible comedies. I feel like I've seen everything though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Have you seen The Vicious Kind, it's a sort of indie dark comedy from a few years ago. I'd recommend it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So much hate for The Killing. I really loved it even when there are slow parts or Linden become an unbearable bitch. Holder is one of my favorite TV characters now.

As for comedies, probably recommended by any goon, would be Comedy Bang Bang. Around twelve episodes of the best scripted talk show you will see, than you can check out their pod casts.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'd recommend the dark comedy Bernie. It's Jack Black at his finest, with all possible annoyingness stripped away for just a very pleasurable film.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweet I'll check out both of those. Been avoiding Comedy Bang Bang even though it's been on my suggestions list for months. Cause the picture's kinda weird. lol not really a reason.

Just burned through a bunch of standup. Bill Burr's Let it Go was great. Jim Jeffries is funny. Aziz whips it out at the end.

Butter was kinda meh with a decent supporting cast.

e: bernie was good. good to see jack black aging well. my favorite jack black movie is still Orange County, tho

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 26, 2013

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I would love to watch Running Turtle but it might just win the award for Netflix's worst source material. I love foreign films and I recognized this right away. This was transferred from a Video CD. complete with hard-coded subtitles and they are half off the screen. Unwatchable and a shame.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I just noticed 56 Up is now on Netflix. It's the latest in a series of documentaries that have followed a group of British people starting when they were seven years old and checking back on them every seven years. Nothing really exciting or dramatic happens in the series, it's just interviews with the same people (although some of them chose not to be in certain installments). It might not sound all that interesting, but the series as a whole is absolutely one of my favorite documentaries, probably about on the same level as Hoop Dreams (which is also amazing and on Netflix). They used to have the entire series streaming, but it appears they've taken down all but the latest. They might all still be on Youtube though, since that's where I originally watched them before I got a Netflix account.

The "Up" series is a must watch but it should be known that marathoning it is hard because a huge amount of material is repeated between installments because of the 7 year interval in between films. They can all usually be found on YouTube.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Okay, 5 minutes into Comedy Bang Bang. Awesome show.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

The Intouchables has been staring at me for sometime and I finally got around to it. I tried finding it in theaters when it came out in America, but it never seemed to show up around my area. Thought it might be too depressing, but it really is just a great buddy movie with two guys shooting the poo poo in luxurious places.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
D.C. Cab is on Netflix if you need some classic Mr. T right loving now :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7j3ZefDoGw

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

D. C. Cab is Joel Schumacher's best movie. I remember a story of it being pretty controversial when it was released, because it was rated R but it was marketed to kids because they loved Mr. T.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Can we all just agree Top of the Lake is better?

I tried watching the first few episodes of each and found both The Killing and Top Of The Lake to be boring as poo poo, because I actually like interesting things to happen sometimes in my serial TV drama.

Maybe I'm just not used to the "crime drama" genre, or maybe I just watch too much Law & Order, but I found the pacing on The Killing especially to be just glacially slow.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Have you seen The Vicious Kind, it's a sort of indie dark comedy from a few years ago. I'd recommend it.

I quite enjoyed this film but would never describe it as a comedy. A few spots are outright funny, but the rest is just people vomiting their awful all over one another.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
DC Cab was the first R movie I ever saw as a young kid. My mom was out of town, and my dad rented it and let me and my brother watch it. Couldn't believe the boobs and F bombs! I need to watch that again.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

soapgish posted:

I quite enjoyed this film but would never describe it as a comedy. A few spots are outright funny, but the rest is just people vomiting their awful all over one another.

Agreed, I didn't find it funny at all. Good drama about dysfunctional peole though, I enjoyed this movie but I felt so let down at the end. Just once I'd like a movie to be like real life where you occasionally find someone who doesn't succumb to temptation and gently caress their boyfriend's brother. I really wish she had shut him down and left him in his frustrated shame.

I love Adam Scott and Brittany Snow got my attention with this movie.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I decided to try Dredd because of the thread's recommendation. I had been expecting this movie to be poo poo ever since it was first announced, but it ended up being an enjoyable and entertaining action film. It's definitely worth watching.

Also, I'll second the recommendations for The Vicious Kind and Bernie. Seriously, if you have been avoiding Bernie because Jack Black is in it, don't worry about him. Even though he's in the starring role, it's definitely not a Jack Black movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Dudes has anyone had trouble with streaming over XBox today? After the update I'm getting buffer stops every thirty seconds. PC streaming works fine, however.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Oh,I'm currently watching Jekyll, so far a nice British series. It's a modern take of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde,enjoyable, the violence is never over the top, and both "personalities" have their own charisma. I'm starting to adore British TV, or the few series I've seen right now.

Watched Samsara the other day, which is such a gorgeous movie!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Looking for more contemporary futuristic dystopian cyberpunk-ish films like Dredd and Elysium on Instant. Anyone?

edit: Already seen: Lockout, Equilibrium, Strange Days, Existenz...

edit: What about Cypher?

the fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 27, 2013

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zwabu posted:

The "Up" series is a must watch but it should be known that marathoning it is hard because a huge amount of material is repeated between installments because of the 7 year interval in between films. They can all usually be found on YouTube.

The entire series was up at some point. I'm only at 7 Plus Seven because it's a series where the entire concept is to wait seven years between installments, so I figure several months is a better way to go about it. Hopefully they come back soon and I can get to 21 Up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The first two Jackass movies are up. If you somehow aren't familiar with this series, the movies are an assortment of slapstick humor, painful stunts, and all around lunacy. If you want some brainless fun on in the backround I have to reluctantly recommend these movies. They're a guilty pleasure.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I believe Jackass is best viewed is you are a teen, in your early twenties or drunk as gently caress.

I tried to watch it again last year, it wasn't as funny as I remembered. :( I'm old,so old.*

*Not really too old, just over-exaggerating.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hate watching something you loved when you were younger, only to find you absolutely hate it now.

Now, Adam Sandler is no great comedian, but I liked Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore when I was young. I had the chance to see them again just a few weeks ago, and drat, they were so loving bad that I was continually mystified throughout both as to why I ever liked them. Or a reversal of two movies; I love the Transformers animated film when I was a kid, didn't care too much about the G.I. Joe movie. Saw them again a few months ago, and G.I. Joe was a lot better than I remembered it being, and Transformers was a lot worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The animated Transformers film is basically an hour and a half long music video with Orson Welles; I actually really like it. Even though I didn't watch Transformers growing up and therefore do not sufficiently appreciate Soundwave's loyalty.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Transformers animated movie is the perfect thing to watch with a cold. It's very pretty and has lots of color and sound and music and you don't have to actually pay attention to it very much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Desperado Bones posted:

I believe Jackass is best viewed is you are a teen, in your early twenties or drunk as gently caress.

I tried to watch it again last year, it wasn't as funny as I remembered. :( I'm old,so old.*

*Not really too old, just over-exaggerating.
Jackass is always funny. You must be elderly :colbert:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jackass is always funny. You must be elderly :colbert:
There's something universally funny about people getting hit in the groin. It's like comedy distilled into its most base form, it's ageless, timeless, and doesn't need any cultural context.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I assumed Dredd would kinda suck, but lo and behold it's one of the best action movies I've seen.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Another person chiming in: watched Dredd thanks to everybody here. I thought the setting could've actually been a little darker and more futuristic — it looked a lot like The Raid, especially once they get stuck in Peach Tree. That said, it was a good time. A couple great fights / shootouts.

Favorite part: the guy's hand blowing up when he fires the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There's something universally funny about people getting hit in the groin. It's like comedy distilled into its most base form, it's ageless, timeless, and doesn't need any cultural context.

Yeah plus the whole cast is so great with how they gleefully perform all the pranks and also mess with each other.

• Locked thread