Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

For Stravinsky, I usually go by whatever he actually had a hand in recording. Stravinsky died in 1971, so you actually have quite a number of recordings where he actually directed. So you have less interpretation on part of the conductor because it comes straight from the source. Of note are the ones done by the Columbia Symphony Orchestra and the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York. I am personally not so hot on the recordings that he was not apart of, so I suggest using wikipedia's page on his discography to fill out for what they aforementioned orchestra didn't do.

For Chopin I would go with Artur Rubinstein for the nocturnes and Maurizio Pollini for the ballads and scherzos. Some people swear by Ivan Moravec, though I am not so keen personally.

edit: Really you pretty much have to listen to a rendition yourself to see if your feeling it. I personally try for people who pretty much specialize in a composers work as they tend to really get into where the composer was trying to go with their pieces. Nothings worse than hearing some famous pianist completely butcher the intent of a Cage piece because they just wet for technical excellence.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

karl fungus posted:

Dire Straits?

One of the few instances where a best-of will do you just fine. And even that won't save you from the gay-baiting, the beige-wallpaper "tasteful" guitar workouts, or material from the utterly soporific Communique and Love Over Gold LPs.

If you absolutely must buy a Dire Straits LP, you'll want either Brothers in Arms (in case you like your homophobia in the big single) or Making Movies (in case you like your homophobia in the very last track.)

Making Movies is probably the best, but mostly because of keyboardist Roy Bittan, recruited for the sessions from the E Street Band.

e: Jesus, what a bile-ridden post. I think I'm mostly bitter because I liked them as a little kid, and they haven't aged well for me at all.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

If you absolutely must buy a Dire Straits LP, you'll want either Brothers in Arms (in case you like your homophobia in the big single) or Making Movies (in case you like your homophobia in the very last track.)

I'm pretty sure "Money for Nothing" was not written in the first person/does not reflect the actual opinions of anyone in the band?

I'm going to offer a different suggestion for where to start with Dire Straits: Start with their first, self-titled album; it gives you a good sense of their bar band/blues-rock roots, and has plenty of great tracks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

In 2000, Knopfler appeared on Michael Parkinson's interview program and explained again where the lyrics originated. According to Knopfler, he was in New York and stopped by an appliance store. At the back of the store, they had a wall of TVs which were all tuned to MTV. Knopfler said there was a man working there dressed in a baseball cap, work boots, and a checkered shirt delivering boxes who was standing next to him watching. As they were standing there watching MTV, Knopfler remembers the man coming up with classic lines such as "what are those, Hawaiian noises?...that ain't workin'," etc. Knopfler asked for a pen to write some of these lines down and then eventually put those words to music.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Is Dire Straits seriously that bad? I'm only asking about them because I hear their name come up a lot, but I've never heard them so I wanted to give them a listen to make a fair judgment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

They had some hits in "Money For Nothing" and "Sultans Of Swing", and I liked those, but I wasn't really impressed with the rest of the best-of album I picked up. They're definitely worth checking out for yourself, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What's a good place to start with Bootsy Collins' non-P-Funk work?

Actually, for that matter, where the gently caress do I start with James Brown? That guy's body of work is staggering and he's obviously hugely important but I never much see any one or two classic albums attributed to his name.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Criminal Minded posted:

What's a good place to start with Bootsy Collins' non-P-Funk work?

Actually, for that matter, where the gently caress do I start with James Brown? That guy's body of work is staggering and he's obviously hugely important but I never much see any one or two classic albums attributed to his name.

Star Time if you can afford it. Foundations of Funk if you want something cheaper and are more interested in funk. James brown really isn't the best album person to start with. After either Star Time or Fiundations of Funk then check out his live stuff. Live at the Apollo One is a classic, Live at the Apollo Two is good, and Live at the Olympia is my favorite. After a live album, if you still want more, then look at his albums proper

Seriously, get Star Time. It will save you money in the end. If you want more convincing, listen to Christgau:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rs/brown-07.php

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

karl fungus posted:

Where do I start with Kyuss?

Hope you like weed!

from Welcome To Sky Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6uwcvHkYvg

from Wretch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwJNI2B77LA

from Blues for the Red Sun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bBljAYCgzo

from The Circus Leaves Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTW7yqtyxk

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've never been much of a metal dude, but I really really like Sunn0))). I also got into the Growing album, "the sky's run into the sea." Someone told me I should really check out Earth, who is sort of the predecessor to Sun0))).

So, if Will Smith were telling me "Welcome to earf," what album would he be showing me?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Especially for someone coming from SunnO)))'s direction, you'll want to start with Earth's earlier material. As the group moved on, they transformed into a doomy, bluesy, swampy sort of thing. I love Earth's later stuff, but your best point of reference will probably be with an early high point for the group, their first LP "Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version." It's the real birth of drone as we think of it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Fun Times! posted:

from The Circus Leaves Town
Catamaran

Keep in mind that Catamaran is actually a Yawning Man cover. You should check that band out too.

I have to agree with people above - Blues For The Red Sun is just best parts of Kyuss condensed into one LP. Welcome To Sky Valley drags in places.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Especially for someone coming from SunnO)))'s direction, you'll want to start with Earth's earlier material. As the group moved on, they transformed into a doomy, bluesy, swampy sort of thing. I love Earth's later stuff, but your best point of reference will probably be with an early high point for the group, their first LP "Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version." It's the real birth of drone as we think of it.

Yes, do this. Their later work is incredible, but it's not drone in the sense that you're thinking.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Pogobubba posted:

I'm looking for some guidance getting into more classical music. Part of my question is where to start with a few composers, namely Chopin, Stravinsky, and Bartok, but I also need some sort of a resource or rationale I can use to determine what renditions of the pieces I'm seeking out are good. I imagine the orchestra is almost as important as the composer when listening to classical.

Pieces to start with Bartok:

Romanian Folk Dances
Concerto for Orchestra
String Quartet no. 5

While Stravinsky makes great points about finding good recordings, I also enjoy sampling different interpretations. Take one, obsess over it, listen to it and get it really in your ear, and then find a different recording to see what they change. On spotify there are recordings of the string quartet by The Emerson Quartet, Takacs Quartet, and the Juilliard Quartet.

If you haven't listened to a ton of classical music, I would say pick a piece or two each week and really, really listen to it to get it in your ear. What is your musical background? Do you play any instruments? Often attend live performances?

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

Gstu posted:

Pieces to start with Bartok:

Romanian Folk Dances
Concerto for Orchestra
String Quartet no. 5

While Stravinsky makes great points about finding good recordings, I also enjoy sampling different interpretations. Take one, obsess over it, listen to it and get it really in your ear, and then find a different recording to see what they change. On spotify there are recordings of the string quartet by The Emerson Quartet, Takacs Quartet, and the Juilliard Quartet.

If you haven't listened to a ton of classical music, I would say pick a piece or two each week and really, really listen to it to get it in your ear. What is your musical background? Do you play any instruments? Often attend live performances?

I already sorted out Bartok by getting the 8cd set Boulez Conducts Bartok since it was positively reviewed, but even breaking into that set is a bit intimidating so thanks for giving me a specific place to start. I listen to a ton of different styles, but I tend to gravitate towards more experimental artists within any style I check out, at least at first - part of the reason Bartok in particular was so attractive. I play a bit of guitar and used to mess around with drums and keyboard, but guitar is the only instrument I'd consider myself competent at. It's been a while since I have gone to a concert, but I do enjoy them, especially jazz shows - the freer the improvisation the better.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

hatelull posted:

Check out her first three solo albums (Whatever, I'm with Stupid, Magnolia) if you want her solo stuff. I'm horribly unfamiliar with most of her 'Til Tuesday stuff, but "Voices Carry" is a pretty awesome song so you might start with that album.

This is from a while ago but I was scanning the past few pages. I guess I never realized that it was Aimee Mann on Voices Carry since I'm also not that familiar with 'Til Tuesday. I probably will be after the next week or so because I could use an angle to get back into her music. So thanks dude from three and a half months ago!

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

This probably comes up a lot but how about Harry Nilsson? I watched LCD Soundsystem's Shut Up and Play the Hits the other night and they played a cover of "Jump Into the Fire." I was impressed enough to go look up the original and hey, it's fantastic! I'm guessing Nilsson Schmilsson is the album to start with, as it's got that song on it and is the album with the most listeners on last.fm and rateyourmusic. However, Allmusic suggests that "Jump Into the Fire" sounds nothing like his other music- can I get away with just getting a best-of?

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
Where do I start with Throbbing Gristle? I've never listened to anything by them or much industrial at all, so I'm just looking to grab a couple of essential albums and potentially branch out from there.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Pogobubba posted:

Where do I start with Throbbing Gristle? I've never listened to anything by them or much industrial at all, so I'm just looking to grab a couple of essential albums and potentially branch out from there.

I think you can do just fine starting with 20 Jazz Funk Greats, as I think it does a great job covering all the flavors that TG served their audience. From there, you might go backwards to D.o.A: The Third and Final Report of Throbbing Gristle and truly have your skull peeled back. "Hamburger Lady" is especially popular around Halloween for whatever reason. The rest of their releases, are a mix of live material (The Second Annual Report) and mammoth experimental pieces (CD1) so you can really choose what tickles your fancy. If you like some of the more 'straight forward' material on 20 Jazz Funk Greats then Part Two: The Endless Not is worth checking out.

There's an "industrial" thread that is chock full of suggestions if you're interested in that genre but they talk about a lot of EBM stuff which is probably not the best introduction to that sound.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

This probably comes up a lot but how about Harry Nilsson? I watched LCD Soundsystem's Shut Up and Play the Hits the other night and they played a cover of "Jump Into the Fire." I was impressed enough to go look up the original and hey, it's fantastic! I'm guessing Nilsson Schmilsson is the album to start with, as it's got that song on it and is the album with the most listeners on last.fm and rateyourmusic. However, Allmusic suggests that "Jump Into the Fire" sounds nothing like his other music- can I get away with just getting a best-of?

Nilsson Schmilsson is a fantastic album and would be as good a place as any to start, but yes, it's an extremely diverse album. Everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Pogobubba posted:

I say start off with Second Annual Report. Nothing like listening to it really loud in headphones. 20 Jazz Funk Greats is definitely far more accessible, but if you're curious about Throbbing Gristle I doubt you're really worried about that.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

cheapandugly posted:

I say start off with Second Annual Report. Nothing like listening to it really loud in headphones. 20 Jazz Funk Greats is definitely far more accessible, but if you're curious about Throbbing Gristle I doubt you're really worried about that.

I'll go with this first, although I'll check out the hatelull's recommendations as well to get more of a sampling of their general style. I've never understood why people tend to recommend the most accessible albums first in genres that are experimental by nature - I just want to jump to the craziest poo poo as soon as possible.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To be fair, a lot of what gets lumped into the industrial genre isn't all that crazy in 2013. Throbbing Gristle was fairly potent at the time, and for someone who has not heard much of that type of sound it has the potential to be pretty mind blowing. Having said that, the rest of the loose term can vary between more experimental rhythmic works (Einstürzende Neubauten), weird folk (Current 93), to straight up 80's dance music (Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Front Line Assembly). So, it won't all be "Tanith" and "Persuasion."

I will say that if you like any aspects of TG, go check out some COIL records.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Yes, if you like TG even a little Coil will be a nice treat for your ears.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Nilsson Schmilsson is definitely the recommended starting point, I think everyone can agree there. The Point! is also really awesome and I'd say that would probably be a decent place to go after you're done with Schmilsson.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I really really dig the track 360' (Oh Yeah?) that De La Soul did with the Propellerheads.
What other De La Soul should I check out? They seem awesome. I don't often like mainstream rap, but I have really liked some of the more cerebral rappers in the past (Us3, for example).

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

alnilam posted:

I really really dig the track 360' (Oh Yeah?) that De La Soul did with the Propellerheads.
What other De La Soul should I check out? They seem awesome. I don't often like mainstream rap, but I have really liked some of the more cerebral rappers in the past (Us3, for example).

Like with most rap artists, your best bet is to start with their first album, 3 Feet High and Rising.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

alnilam posted:

TheNintenGenius posted:

Like with most rap artists, your best bet is to start with their first album, 3 Feet High and Rising.

I concur with 3 Feet High and Rising, it's playful and drat good. It's produced by Prince Paul who also helped out with their next two albums. Buhloone Mindstate (the third) is a good followup if you liked that, plus there's some notable growth in their song creation skills. After that I like The Grind Date and the first of the AOI albums, Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump, more or less equally. AOI: Bionix and the mix tapes are okay, but don't stand out too strongly for me.

For whatever reason I never got De La Soul Is Dead, but I assume it's comparable to 3 Feet High and Buhloone in quality (if not in sales) and has a solid reputation. And I similarly missed out on their Buhloone followup Stakes Is High and last year's First Serve, so they could be anything as far as I know. The other stuff I'm pretty good with. If you're wondering what they sound like now they were the rappers behind the Gorillaz singles "Feel Good Inc." and "Superfast Jellyfish" and a couple of other random tracks with Prince Paul's 'solo' stuff and Paul's brilliant super-team-ups with Dan The Automator, Handsome Boy Modeling School, all of which are probably worth checking out on their own.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ThaGhettoJew posted:

For whatever reason I never got De La Soul Is Dead, but I assume it's comparable to 3 Feet High and Buhloone in quality (if not in sales) and has a solid reputation. And I similarly missed out on their Buhloone followup Stakes Is High and last year's First Serve, so they could be anything as far as I know. The other stuff I'm pretty good with. If you're wondering what they sound like now they were the rappers behind the Gorillaz singles "Feel Good Inc." and "Superfast Jellyfish" and a couple of other random tracks with Prince Paul's 'solo' stuff and Paul's brilliant super-team-ups with Dan The Automator, Handsome Boy Modeling School, all of which are probably worth checking out on their own.

De La Soul Is Dead isn't just my favorite DLS album, it's in close competition with Fear of A Black Planet for my favorite hip-hop album period.

It's largely a cynical critique of the state of hip-hop at the time (and of being disillusioned with the bohemian alterna-rap vibe on 3 Feet High), but I love how it balanced snarkiness with a sense of fun and playful experimentation. Tracks like "My Brother Is A Basehead" and "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa" have a darkly comical side, but they are also really sharp, astute social commentary. And first rate examples of storytelling rap. And incredibly sickly awesome beats. It's always disappointed me how few rappers can bridge the divide between challenging intelligent lyrics and rear end-shaking party music. Public Enemy, KRS-1, and Dead Prez all have a handle on that and so does De La Soul Is Dead. There's also a lot that's just weird and stupidly infectious like "Bitties In The BK Lounge", and it's one of the very small handful of rap albums where the skits/interludes are actually funny (a lot of which has to do with Prince Paul). I love De La Soul Is Dead so hard.

Also I can't post about Prince Paul without recommending the heck out of the first Gravediggaz album (6 Feet Deep), produced by Prince Paul and RZA.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

h_double posted:

De La Soul Is Dead isn't just my favorite DLS album, it's in close competition with Fear of A Black Planet for my favorite hip-hop album period.

It's largely a cynical critique of the state of hip-hop at the time (and of being disillusioned with the bohemian alterna-rap vibe on 3 Feet High), but I love how it balanced snarkiness with a sense of fun and playful experimentation. Tracks like "My Brother Is A Basehead" and "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa" have a darkly comical side, but they are also really sharp, astute social commentary. And first rate examples of storytelling rap. And incredibly sickly awesome beats. It's always disappointed me how few rappers can bridge the divide between challenging intelligent lyrics and rear end-shaking party music. Public Enemy, KRS-1, and Dead Prez all have a handle on that and so does De La Soul Is Dead. There's also a lot that's just weird and stupidly infectious like "Bitties In The BK Lounge", and it's one of the very small handful of rap albums where the skits/interludes are actually funny (a lot of which has to do with Prince Paul). I love De La Soul Is Dead so hard.

Also I can't post about Prince Paul without recommending the heck out of the first Gravediggaz album (6 Feet Deep), produced by Prince Paul and RZA.

Sold! Not that I wasn't already down for all of those things, but I will redouble my efforts to find these last couple of bits of Prince Paul production perfection I don't already have then. alnilam, you should do fine.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Listening to 3 feet high, and I really like it! I'll check out Is Dead soon as well. Thanks everyone!

h_double posted:

...and it's one of the very small handful of rap albums where the skits/interludes are actually funny...

Are you saying Dre's The Doctor's Office isn't funny? :rolleyes:

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Any recommendations on modern psychedelic rock groups? Something still reasonably accessible I guess? :shrug:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Goatmask posted:

Any recommendations on modern psychedelic rock groups? Something still reasonably accessible I guess? :shrug:

Tame Impala - Elephant (the current front-runner in the new psych movement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jqPvpn3sY

Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - Slithery Thing (currently my favorite act in the genre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5PFybN-TYc

Mmoss - War Sux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYd2IjEeU

Quest for Fire - Strange Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdzPzR95Q-Y

Here's a Spotify playlist I put together a few days ago with a good selection:
http://open.spotify.com/user/faktory4/playlist/07ESjQ7h9SFrPGm7v8WfQl
(a couple of oddballs in there, like Ween, who would not typically be lumped into the genre; and some spacier stuff)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 28, 2013

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Goatmask posted:

All due respect to the poster above - Tame Impala play psych-pop. They're not frontrunners of anything.

Destruction Unit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djhUfSLhpfc

Human Eye (last two LPs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5SGKIOJlSc

White Hills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrSQT0Yh9I

Apache Dropout (first LP)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMxaKrI3MyE

The Black Angels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoNB1NW2u0A

Causa Sui
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zAMHXBgF0

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How do I start with Ozric Tentacles or Porcupine Tree?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Absentia is probably the best starting point for PT.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

karl fungus posted:

How do I start with... Porcupine Tree?

Henchman of Santa posted:

In Absentia is probably the best starting point for PT.
Yeah, In Absentia is awesome. After that I recommend Lightbulb Sun, We Lost The Skyline, or Deadwing. All are pretty good albums in different ways. The Stars Die double-disc retrospective has some brilliant stuff on it too if you just want a sweep of his output from most of the 90s, but it's not as cohesive a whole as one of the constructed records.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Steve Albini keeps turning up in some capacity or other on records which my flatmate shows me. They've been consistently excellent so far, but but there's also a load of them. I'm pretty into some of the math-rock type stuff he was involved with (Slint, Shellac) and I have a passing familiarity with PJ Harvey, The Pixies, Nirvana and the Manic Street Preachers.
What I'd like to do is listen to everything he's worked on so far, but I'm unsure of where to start. He doesn't strike me as a straightforward guy, so doing it chronologically might not be the best. Any pointers?

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 30, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pixies - Surfer Rosa and Nirvana - In Utero are big ones. Big Black is the only band of his that I've listened to but Atomizer is a pretty solid album. It's hard to find starting points for a producer so here's some other stuff of his that I like:

The Jesus Lizard - Goat; Liar
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

If you like metal at all, I recommend all of the Neurosis albums he's produced and High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Steve Albini keeps turning up in some capacity or other on records which my flatmate shows me. They've been consistently excellent so far, but but there's also a load of them. I'm pretty into some of the math-rock type stuff he was involved with (Slint, Shellac) and I have a passing familiarity with PJ Harvey, The Pixies, Nirvana and the Manic Street Preachers.
What I'd like to do is listen to everything he's worked on so far, but I'm unsure of where to start. He doesn't strike me as a straightforward guy, so doing it chronologically might not be the best. Any pointers?

He is pretty straightforward, unfortunately. Not many people say this, but he makes bands from every genre sound really similar. He records drums very well and for the better part of 90s and early 00s people thought clear-sounding drums was the way to go. Compare how Mclusky sounded on their debut and on "Do Dallas" or newer Neurosis albums, for example. I think Neurosis really suffered because of his production, all their stuff post "Times of Grace" sounds powerless.

Chronologically:
Breeders – Pod
Dazzling Killmen – Face of Collapse
Oxbow - Serenade in Red
Neurosis – Times of Grace
Low – Things We Lost in the Fire
Mclusky – Mclusky Do Dallas
My Disco – Paradise

You'll hear math stuff, loud rock stuff, metal, guitar indie, slowcore. "Things We Lost In The Fire" is his best engineering job so far, in my opinion. His attention to detail worked really well with Low.