Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it did, and didn't someone say it could corrupt saves? I hadn't played it today for that reason. But this thread is full of people who clearly are playing right now, so I don't know what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wow I finished the game today having no idea about the broken patch. I guess I got lucky that nothing went wrong. I only had some side missions and the Grand Finale to complete, however. I never even checked my guns since I had what I wanted already.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It didn't corrupt my save, but I lost my DLC weapons.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it did, and didn't someone say it could corrupt saves? I hadn't played it today for that reason. But this thread is full of people who clearly are playing right now, so I don't know what to think.

I'm assuming they're playing on PS3 or 360? Presumably the mistake patch only went out over Steam so only PC players have to deal with it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Will the framerate issues on console not be as bad if I don't use the superpowers to get around and stick to cars?

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

A funny quirk of this patch inventory bug is that if you take the plunge and equip the mech suit weapon then any movement you do with that equipped counts toward the "Distance traveled in Mech Suit" challenge

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Shindragon posted:

It didn't corrupt my save, but I lost my DLC weapons.
Ah yeah, that too. Just noticed my 'MERICA is gone. :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Boy did I chose exactly the right moment to finish the game and uninstall.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'm assuming they're playing on PS3 or 360? Presumably the mistake patch only went out over Steam so only PC players have to deal with it.

I played last night on the Xbox, and went through the credits to test it: One of the things the xbox patch fixed was no music during credits, which I had seen before, but this time there was music. So the game was definitely patched, and there was no issue with missing or weirdly placed weapons, or indeed any issues that I could find.

It may be I just got lucky, but it looks like at least the Xbox patch was the right one and did not gently caress things up.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sapient Afro posted:

Booted up my game today to find this staring back at me.

I know I'm a page late, but I just noticed the stop signs' hands don't have an open palm but do a shocker gesture.

This game :allears:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I thought that was supposed to look like a Zin hand rather than human- if you look at the hand icon on openable doors it looks like that too.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It's probably a long shot, but do any of you console players have a decent Will Ferrell or (longer shot) Chris Kattan Boss that you're willing to share?

This game is screaming for a Butabi brother Boss, and my character creation skills are not up to the task. I found a couple of Will Ferrel Boss' on saintsrow.com, but they look like rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I can't sit here sitting on my hands, waiting for any longer. Would I be able to do even the first couple missions in SR4 without loving my save up from the broken patch?

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I don't even want to risk trying that. I'm sitting on a 40 hour save with all the side poo poo i can do finished and maybe a third to a quarter of the main plot left and I am too afraid of messing that up to touch it. Guess I'll be playing 3DS stuff until I get confirmation it isn't broken. Though really, I wouldn't mind repeating all the plot stuff and like...the Blazin' bits, but redoing all the fight club and rifts scares me.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Only 5 hours in.

I think I'll miss both Idealistic from K12 and Sports from WWDT.

Also holy poo poo, this game is so filter heavy it seems something completely different from SR3, I did not expect this foreboding atmosphere...

Does this game check for a SR3 saves (or maybe DLC)?

One of the first virus injection mission was against a bikers gang and one of them rode in with the bike you unlock going against deckers in SR3 (I can't remember if you win it after http://deckers.die or the virtual-reality bike running activity).

Also, can you steal normal army tanks? (It did not have anyone manning the turret, but I could not hijack it. I have to have one of those in my collection)

Jefferoo posted:

Will the framerate issues on console not be as bad if I don't use the superpowers to get around and stick to cars?

Haven't seen framerate issues yet on PS3.

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2006

FUCK YOU SAY?

Zeth posted:

I don't even want to risk trying that. I'm sitting on a 40 hour save with all the side poo poo i can do finished and maybe a third to a quarter of the main plot left and I am too afraid of messing that up to touch it. Guess I'll be playing 3DS stuff until I get confirmation it isn't broken. Though really, I wouldn't mind repeating all the plot stuff and like...the Blazin' bits, but redoing all the fight club and rifts scares me.

Times like this are when I'm most grateful for having indie "random factor" games like Dungeons of Dredmor and Binding of Isaac, to keep me busy 'til my "big game" I'm into is done having issues. I saw a Tweet from Volition that they are aware of the issue and working on it, but that was something like 19 hours ago. Guess it's kind of a big deal for them, too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WarLocke posted:

And man, is it just me or does SRTT seem to have a lot more cutscenes? There seems to be an into and outro to every mission, whereas in SRIV you only get the kind of thing for 'plot' missions, and in the case of the 'side' missions you just get some audio from Kinzie or whatever.

SR2 had a lot more cutscenes, and SR4 has a lot of plot stuff happening in-game rather than in cutscenes, but I'm not sure how SR3 compares to either. Its plot was so shoddy that it doesn't really stick in my mind.

Xenocidebot posted:

It's too bad there's nothing for increasing the number of them or making them not despawn all other Zin on arrival. I really like Wardens as a thing, I just wish the non-plot ones behaved like brutes and just showed up at higher wanted levels, sometimes en masse, and could be finished with more gunfire if you didn't want to do the QTE.

That QTE is the worst. If you're not even trying to merge with them to absorb their power, what's the point of it? Just let me shoot it to death like brutes.

limaCAT posted:

Does this game check for a SR3 saves (or maybe DLC)?

Nope, the SR3 DLC stuff is standard in SR4. Everyone gets it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This game has so many awesome new outfits, but sometimes, the oldies are too good to pass up

I'm nearing the endgame and loving every minute of this. What an amazingly fun game.

I think for me personally, having been a teen during the GTA3 years, I've grown up with open world crime simulators and while they'll always have a place in my heart, I feel like no one has done much more than simply polish and refine a well-worn legacy up until now. SR4 has brought me back to the same open-jawed FUN that I remember I had while flying a helicopter around Vice City or driving a hover craft off the tallest building in Los Santos. This game has completely redefined what it means to have fun in an open world crime sandbox and while it has its flaws and problems, it's pretty much my game of the year right now. If I could have the gameplay of SR4 with the interiors and secrets and fun environments of SR2, I think that'd be my Perfect Game

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
PS3 Talk

The only time I can honestly say the frame rate went to poo poo was while using the Singularity Gun in **late game mission*** Kinzie's hideout when the Zin show up en masse and one other time doing one of the Mayhem activities in a mech suit. Those two times were literally the only occasions where it poo poo itself trying to cope, the other 25 hours I spent playing were so free of frame rate issues I was seriously wondering what the gently caress all those journos were freaking out about.

So yeah, I found the frame rate fine for 99% of the game. It did lock up probably more times than any other game I've played in years, mind (roughly 8-10 times), and then there were things like Benjamin flying the helicopter into a telegraph pole and a max power DFA resulting in the Boss just stuck on the point of impact unable to do anything but turn.

But eh, bugs. No sense getting worked up about 'em.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song the Dubstep gun plays in 'The Girl Who Hates the 50s'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lcnNnTsDc - Base

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnhZKND_cs&list=WL081F65A76669CEB0 - Industrial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4bMOe_7Xg - Pop Star

Industrial is a heavier of Polyhymnia, so it doesn't exactly have an easy to listen to song. Pop Star is Vindicate though, which is what you are looking for.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 28, 2013

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Hey hey, I was 20 minutes in the final mission, and my PS3 decided it was time to crash for the first time :suicide:

I don't know when I'll have the courage to try it again.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

legendsuper posted:

Hey hey, I was 20 minutes in the final mission, and my PS3 decided it was time to crash for the first time :suicide:

I don't know when I'll have the courage to try it again.

After all is said and done, you never walk you never run, YOU'RE A WINNER

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MasonF posted:

Did the latest update break all the guns for anyone else or just me? I'm seeing double of some guns, and the tentacle bat is missing completely.

Yep I got bit by this too. The biggest bummers for me were that it downgraded my Wub Wub gun and I can't change ANYTHING on it now, and my disintegration ray seems to have completely vanished out of the game. Not to mention duplicates or weird poo poo in the wrong categories. :sigh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-all-games-could-learn-from-saints-row-iv/

even Cracked gets it. :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This is still my favorite part of the game, only followed by MINOR BUT HILARIOUS GAME SPOILER CID shocking the boss in the balls.

Seriously, don't watch this unless you want something spoiled that was amazing. I couldn't find a video of male voice 1 being used, but still, it's awesome. Might be a new text alert one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJfOUjcacwA&t=933s

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Does anyone know if there's a way to replay the text adventure from the save Matt Miller mission without just reloading a save and doing the whole mission over again?

The text adventure console on the ship seems limited to the Zinyak collectible ones.

re: The Steam patch that broke weapons, from what I understand, they did release a hotfix that makes everything mostly fine (no duplicates, no broken upgrades) if you don't have any DLC and use a save from before the busted patch. They're presumably still working on a fix that will unfuck post-patch savegames.

In any case, it's probably a good idea to keep an older save handy if you haven't already overwritten it.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 28, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I can think of worse fates than playing through this whole game again. Is there a co-op organization group on Steam? I'm pika132 if anyone wants to be my running mate.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

re: The Steam patch that broke weapons, from what I understand, they did release a hotfix that makes everything mostly fine (no duplicates, no broken upgrades) if you don't have any DLC and use a save from before the busted patch. They're presumably still working on a fix that will unfuck post-patch savegames.

Just so's I get it 100%, no chance of confusion- if I load up a save from before the patch, it should be okay now, even if I save?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

After getting half way with this I kinda have mixed opinions. The story so far is great. It's funny and does call backs pretty cleverly. I just don't really enjoy playing the game part for some reason. Like, it's not bad enough to make me stop playing it's just meh.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Just so's I get it 100%, no chance of confusion- if I load up a save from before the patch, it should be okay now, even if I save?

Prooooooobably yes, but don't overwrite your old one just in case. I've been playing and saving and loading for hours and nothing's gone bad yet, it's mostly just a question of what the next hotfix does (it should be fine).

Also, when you first load, it'll likely say you're missing DLC that you used to have, but you can ignore that if you never had any DLC in the first place. I think it's just the game getting confused about missing weapon IDs from the broken patch or something else that got rolled back.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Trast posted:

I'm hoping you get a lot of "Game of the Year" trophies to put in your office because they are richly deserved.

Trophies are nice, but I'm hoping they can fill a swimming pool with cash money. Olympic size.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DrManiac posted:

After getting half way with this I kinda have mixed opinions. The story so far is great. It's funny and does call backs pretty cleverly. I just don't really enjoy playing the game part for some reason. Like, it's not bad enough to make me stop playing it's just meh.

What's it like to have no soul?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song the Dubstep gun plays in 'The Girl Who Hates the 50s'?

haha i've been listening to this song on repeat just now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QpVhGXs0k I gotta say this is the first open world game I've actually been dicking around the sandbox in and doing a second playthrough immediately. ( I usually just play the story and leave it alone when i'm done). The super powers and flying around are just so much fun. I never played prototype but then again i don't think prototype had an on foot radio to give me a soundtrack to the mayhem i'm causing, so I don't know if I would enjoy as much.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 28, 2013

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hm. Is SR4 the only sandbox/open world crime game where you can fight the police and win?

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2006

FUCK YOU SAY?

CommissarMega posted:

I can't speak for others, but in my case it's still very much not safe. The goofed up weapons are still there, and a lot are still missing. It may be different from person to person though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

beep by grandpa posted:

Hm. Is SR4 the only sandbox/open world crime game where you can fight the police and win?

I actually think it might be. In every other game you just fight until either you die or until they stop fighting you, SR4 might be the only one that has an 'ending' to a fight against the authorities.

I want to say either Prototype or Just Cause 2 might have had something like that, but I have legitimately no idea where I'd be getting that from.

EDIT: If you want, you can count the surprising dark-horse inspiration for the entire Saints Row series, City of Villains. Mayhem Missions were pretty much an 'open-world crime spree', and they had an ending when you finally took a break from wanton property damage to go rob a bank and kill a hero on your way out. CoV might've also been the inspiration for the super-powered authorities being called Wardens, too, but that's a bit of a long shot.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 28, 2013

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Idiocracy last night with my brother and now I can't wait to get home from work and make a President Camacho boss.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

polish sausage posted:

haha i've been listening to this song on repeat just now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QpVhGXs0k

That's the song that plays for the second track which is also the same one as the Pop Star skin.

But I'm still wondering what it's playing the first time you get it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UglyDucklett posted:

I watched Idiocracy last night with my brother and now I can't wait to get home from work and make a President Camacho boss.

But President Camacho is already your Chief of Staff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Zaa Boogie posted:

That's the song that plays for the second track which is also the same one as the Pop Star skin.

But I'm still wondering what it's playing the first time you get it.

Here:

Rookersh posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lcnNnTsDc - Base

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnhZKND_cs&list=WL081F65A76669CEB0 - Industrial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4bMOe_7Xg - Pop Star

Industrial is a heavier of Polyhymnia, so it doesn't exactly have an easy to listen to song. Pop Star is Vindicate though, which is what you are looking for.

Just to help you out. Also, I like the Pop Star one.

• Locked thread