Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

when you put it that way, i guess that would be a pretty awesome gig to just gently caress around with during the day and make friends with skillz and jam out after work with some 4:20 and prolly live pretty happy

i know a guy who does voicework as orc #325 and poo poo and he is literally rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

speakers are great but sometimes its nice to just put headphones on and just ignore everything

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cubemario posted:

are there tv's out there which don't suck dick? wondering where those might start at, cause i don't think i've seen anyone mention what's actually good

panasonic plasmas the only pro-tier TVs until 50" OLEDs become A Thing

sadly this year's model is the last one panasonic is making :(

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
is there no ips panel TV for you coulour spergs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

In 5.1 or greater there is a sweet spot. You can't calibrate for multiple zones without sacrificing the sweet spot.

this is why 5.1 is worthless and 2.1 channels is more than sufficient

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

headphones have the added bonus of being a legitimate excuse for not hearing what 'the wife' is nagging you about. headphones "ftw".

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Smythe posted:

i know a guy who does voicework as orc #325 and poo poo and he is literally rich

is he rich from doing voice work or is he like threefive an works so he can look down on the peons

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
my dad asked me "if they can do continuous analogue sound capture like on vinyl and poo poo thats not separated into samples, why dont they do the same with video. whys it gotta be such-and-such frames per second" and i didnt know what to tell him other than "thats not how it works. thats literally just not how it works"

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
you could do something silly like build a dedicated read-out for each pixel with a phototransistor and record it to tape (one tape track per pixel) and then like a custom LED panel to display it, it would have no frame-rate and you could sample each pixel at maybe a few kHz/16-bit and get perfect reproduction but it would be crazy complicated and there would be no way to display it properly on a computer or edit it with conventional software/hardware and the bandwidth to transfer it would be ridiculous.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
well, it is how it works.

we could capture the light waves directly, and then use a system like the eye/brain combination to interpret it, but the thing is that our eyes are loving terrible and buggy and any engineer would suicide before making an accurate eye.

like, here's one thing. this is one bug out of thousands we've discovered

the eye has color sensors ("cones") for the three main parts of the electromagnetic spectrum, which cover red, green, and blue, mostly. and they're loving terrible. the first light sensor ever built by humans was more precise.

look at the nonlinearity and range of the red/green sensor. they're loving huge.

the whole reason color mixing (combine red and green to make yellow) is because of this.

natural yellow light is around 600nm, so your eyes see some combination of red and green, and think "oh hey, i know that, that's what it looks like for a 600nm wave"

turns out you can trick the eye into seeing yellow by simply providing it a mix of red light (750nm) and green light (540nm) and the eye goes "oh hey, i know that, that's what it looks like for a 600nm wave" and the brain thinks it's yellow

so instead we do something that makes sense and just build light sensors that take discrete samples based on a clock. if you guarantee that the highest frequency that you have is under nyquist (so put in a low-pass filter), the discrete time signal is identical to the analog waveform

http://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

lol if you think there isn't a sweet spot for any speaker that fires directionally.

You're still triangulating 2 speakers, still a zone you want to stand in to hear the sound correctly

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

5.1 was designed at least to widen the sweet spot

what do u think the center channel is about

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
if you care about "the sweet spot" literally kill yourself right now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

*puts down the tape measure and protractor*

*kills self*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i literally show up to a movie 30+ minutes early so i can sit in the sweet spot

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
my home theater setup is a 360 connected with component to my tv because the hdmi port on the tv is hosed and sound doesn't work thru it

whenever i want to watch anything on it i've downloaded i gotta transcode the audio from whatever 1576 kbps DTS hell to 2ch LC-AAC and remux the thing to mp4

jerryrigged supremacy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Instant Grat posted:

my dad asked me "if they can do continuous analogue sound capture like on vinyl and poo poo thats not separated into samples, why dont they do the same with video. whys it gotta be such-and-such frames per second" and i didnt know what to tell him other than "thats not how it works. thats literally just not how it works"

whoa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wheany posted:

if you care about "the sweet spot" literally kill yourself right now

hey it's the closest some people will get to giving a woman an orgasm

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
your real time codec is a pice of poo poo

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/28/hangouts-hd-vp8-webrtc/

btw this was a poo poo tonne of work -drinks-

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

high definition

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

*puts down the tape measure and protractor*

*kills self*

literally the only reason my speakers and i are not in a perfect isosceles triangle is because the cats would knock them down when they would try to leap on them

that and the other people who would not like having speakers sitting 5+ feet out from the back wall i guess

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

sweet spot? just crank the volume

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://tinyurl.com/p8o3jn2

scroll to page 6 for pro tier speaker spergin'

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

that and the other people who would not like having speakers sitting 5+ feet out from the back wall i guess

set speaker delays per channel. problem solved.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
wait vfw is a Microsoft product? i had no idea lmao is there anything funnier than ms branding

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Blackmagic update: the 3 people I know who preordered them are livid that they have not received yet and are considering setting fire to B&H as a result.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what blackmagic thing is that?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

Blackmagic update: the 3 people I know who preordered them are livid that they have not received yet and are considering setting fire to B&H as a result.

lol bm has never shipped a camera on time what were they thinking?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

set speaker delays per channel. problem solved.

i didnt realize that would correct frequency response irregularities

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i installed cccp+madvr and now i watch all my vidjas in mpchc and it seems to work fine and dandy

apparently i am committing some grievous sin

pagancow, will you enlighten me and tell me what i done diddly did wrong and why

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
imagine a shaggar response but for video codecs

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
thanks for the tips ig now i can finally watch my homestuck hentai in 10bit color

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Bonestuck_-_2013_[XViD][CAMRIP]_SKiDROW.mkv

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
look man idk it works

it has literally never not worked

bonestuck is good tho, thats a clever double entendre (where is that bone stuck in??? intriguing and sexy thoughts ensue)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you are bonestuck for more than 4 hours please consult a physician

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Instant Grat posted:

i installed cccp+madvr and now i watch all my vidjas in mpchc and it seems to work fine and dandy

apparently i am committing some grievous sin

pagancow, will you enlighten me and tell me what i done diddly did wrong and why

nothin wrong with this. MPC-HC is a fine solution

madVR is kinda spergy, but in a good way

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Bonestuck_-_2013_[XViD][CAMRIP]_SKiDROW.mkv

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how come big_buck_bunny is used as an example in everything

DONT THREAD ON ME