Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Wonderful 101 debuted at number 22 in the UK charts :saddowns:

e: Also despite the PS3 and 360 versions being the 3rd and 4th best selling individual SKUs, the Wii U version of Splinter Cell is not in the top 40. Doesn't bode well for future 3rd party support. Even the retail PC release came in at 39.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This is only a compounding factor on Nintendo's basic "released a current-gen console a year before that generation was going to end" error, but basically nobody's buying any games right now, right? The sense I get is that we're going to have the current gen's last hurrah with GTA V, and otherwise everyone's saving their money for a bone or ps4.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
You forgot that it was beaten by Smurfs 2. At this point I kinda want to give the WiiU a big gold star and tell it that it had the most heart, that it tried harder than those mean last-gen consoles. :saddowns:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

petrol blue posted:

You forgot that it was beaten by Smurfs 2. At this point I kinda want to give the WiiU a big gold star and tell it that it had the most heart, that it tried harder than those mean last-gen consoles. :saddowns:

The thing is, though, they didn't. They didn't really try at all. :v:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
You can't judge the Weeoo by the same standards as other consoles, though. It gets the gold star for remembering to put it's underwear on the right end and not eating the crayon shavings. Compared to the Ouya, for example, it's a great bit of kit.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSsLiBPX38

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 27, 2013

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

The fact that a crossover like smt x fire emblem can't save the Wii U is a tragedy in its self :colbert:

I guess the terrible sales so far also kills off any chance of a hd port of monster hunter 4 with decent online capabilities too :sigh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It never dawned on me that W101 would be competing with Disney Infinity in other regions.

Cripes doesn't Nintendo have someone to keep an eye on this poo poo? :ughh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

petrol blue posted:

You can't judge the Weeoo by the same standards as other consoles, though. It gets the gold star for remembering to put it's underwear on the right end and not eating the crayon shavings. Compared to the Ouya, for example, it's a great bit of kit.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSsLiBPX38

When you have to compare something to the Ouya to make it look good, things are pretty grim.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Media Create says W101 has sold 5,258 in its first week.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

frameset posted:

Dear lord... Such a shame too.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can we see a source for that?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Can we see a source for that?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663533

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Every neogaf link I see only serves to remind me there are worse places to read comments than reddit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

frameset posted:

Christ that's worse than even the most pessimistic predictions.

Watch out Bayonetta, you're next. What a loving shame.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I am just continually surprised no one can see how unappealing(regardless of its quality) the game is outside the confines of this thread. Combined with having no marketing and tepid critical reception of course it would flop.

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby

Flayer posted:

Dear lord... Such a shame too.

I saw an ad for this game on TV and I couldn't even tell what the gently caress was going on. It just looked like some poo poo rip-off of Pikmin or something, not a legitimate Nintendo game. I wan't even remember what the W stands for, gently caress sake.

I blame bad marketing.

Diet Lime fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 28, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Why do they keep saying bomba? What is bomba?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Why do they keep saying bomba? What is bomba?

It's a meme they have to mean a game has bombed, ie. sold poorly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just thought it was the unholy lovechild of a Goomba and a Bob-omb.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

frameset posted:

What the hell? I thought my 10k prediction was pretty pessimistic :stonk:

Wii U hardware has also fallen off a cliff and is almost where it was at pre-Pikmin.

If any good comes of this I hope it's that this makes Nintendo realize that a loving Nintendo Direct is not a suitable replacement for actual marketing, Jesus Christ.

greatn posted:

I am just continually surprised no one can see how unappealing(regardless of its quality) the game is outside the confines of this thread. Combined with having no marketing and tepid critical reception of course it would flop.

It's basically Bayonetta but with superheroes instead of a sexy librarian. Bayonetta sold 40x as many copies in its first week.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 28, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

frameset posted:

It was outsold by Pikmin 3, best selling Wii title (Taiko Drum Master, released Nov '12) wasn't far behind at 4280 copies sold. Also Wii U console sales down to 7k.

That's genuinely stunning in how bad it is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowbear posted:

It's basically Bayonetta but with superheroes instead of a sexy librarian. Bayonetta sold 40x as many copies in its first week.

I really don't think they're all that similar, apart from being action genre.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm now really curious to how Wind Waker HD will do. Because while it is Zelda, it's also a re-release of a 10 year old game. Not even the die hard Nintendo guys seem to be able to keep anything on the system afloat.

Nintendo hasn't had anything preform this badly since the 64 DD.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

I really don't think they're all that similar, apart from being action genre.

The presentation is obviously completely different, but the core combat (challenging multi-weapon character action stuff) and scoring system are really similar.

I'm just not seeing what makes W101 so much more niche than Bayonetta.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm now really curious to how Wind Waker HD will do. Because while it is Zelda, it's also a re-release of a 10 year old game. Not even the die hard Nintendo guys seem to be able to keep anything on the system afloat.

I dunno about the rest of the world, but I don't think it'll do spectacularly in Japan. Console Zelda game sales have been free falling since (ironically) Wind Waker. I doubt an HD re-release is gonna reverse that trend.

I said come in! posted:

The Wii-U is dropping by $50 officially on September 20; https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/372741538180513792

A good first step, I guess.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 28, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Wii-U is dropping by $50 officially on September 20; https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/372741538180513792

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Nintendo hasn't had anything preform this badly since the 64 DD.

How well did the ocarina rerelease do?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
We can all admit the Wii U is a collosal failure right?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man what is going on at Nintendo today. They announce a price drop a month in advance and also unveil a goddamn 2DS? :psyduck:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I expect Windwaker HD will probably sell well to those who already have the console, but anybody who hasn't been motivated to get a WiiU thusfar is unlikely to be motivated to buy one once it's released. Also- holy hell, poor Wonderful 101. :stare: Nintendo just can't seem to win with any of their new IP's.

The WiiU is pretty much toast I think. I don't think even Smash Bros will convince me to get one given how poor the system's outlook is. I'll still get the 3DS version but goddamn, what a disappointment. :(

edit: Wow, and the price drop was finally announced as I posted. $50 isn't enough, the value proposition is still dismal.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
In other news, ducks fly, trout swim, Nintendo has no idea how to manage their branding.

I actually thought that was a parody article.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

Man what is going on at Nintendo today. They announce a price drop a month in advance and also unveil a goddamn 2DS? :psyduck:

Ooh right, that didn't process with me right away. Why in the world are they announcing a price drop a month in advance? I mean its awesome for the consumers, thank you Nintendo, but now there won't be a single Wii U sale for a month.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

OatmealRaisin posted:

In other news, ducks fly, trout swim, Nintendo has no idea how to manage their branding.

The button placement for the 2DS looks terrible, not only that it looks like you can't use the second analog stock attachment.

Also I hope those screens aren't made of the same stuff that the 3DS and XL screens are, if they can't be covered they're gonna be scratched to hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Ooh right, that didn't process with me right away. Why in the world are they announcing a price drop a month in advance? I mean its awesome for the consumers, thank you Nintendo, but now there won't be a single Wii U sale for a month.

Maybe if they did something similar to the 3DS Ambassador Program, though if that's their intention it should be announced alongside the price drop.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

I said come in! posted:

I just can't believe they announced it so far in advance. Why not just make it effective immediately?

Jesus, Nintendo. :sigh:

OatmealRaisin posted:

If this isn't proof of Nintendo leadership's inability to manage in the mobile world, I don't know what is.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Wait, what the gently caress? That 2DS thing isn't a joke? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my god, oh my god.

I don't know if I'm more annoyed or amused. :unsmith: The 2DS essentially means that third party 3DS games going forward will have less reason to make use of the 3D features- which sucks because it can be really cool, even if I don't use it all the time. Also, the 2DS looks like a piece of poo poo.

I'm imagining Nintendo suffocating itself with a pillow with one hand, and flailing wildly with the other.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

OatmealRaisin posted:

That thing is ugly as hell

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm now really curious to how Wind Waker HD will do.

It's the best selling game Wii U game on Amazon.co.jp, but only #81 in Games overall. #82 is that Taiko drum game for the Wii that sold 4k copies last week.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also this:

My local games shop posted it - $299 isn't too bad but man, there is gently caress and poo poo to do on this system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The 2DS has it's own entirely different logo. The 2DS logo makes it look like a brand new system where as the Wii U logo still makes it look like a modified version of the Wii. :psyduck:

Not only that the 2DS is such a big departure in terms of style that it could be easily mistaken for an entirely new system. Like we're not even talking Gameboy Advance Micro levels of redesign it goes well beyond that and even renames the 3.0 version of the system into entirely something else.

It would have just been better to nix the 3D feature from future games entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Also this:

My local games shop posted it - $299 isn't too bad but man, there is gently caress and poo poo to do on this system.

Ooh finally, ive been wanting to know when Zelda 3DS was coming out. November 22nd is a good date for me.

• Locked thread