Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please don't be this stupid.

A Chromebook? :downssmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The netbook talk is kind of funny because my tablets have gotten me to rethink what I want in a notebook. Originally, i wanted a high DPI ultrabook. Something like the Zenbook Infinity. Very portable, great battery life, high DPI display.

But lately I've been thinking "why do I want that?" That kind of ultrabook is mainly good for consuming web content and video content and I have both those covered in high DPI tablets with great battery life and are even more portable. What I really want out of a notebook is the ability to play steam games while not sitting to my desk and to be able to participate in the odd group game of Borderlands 2 that sometimes happen when my friends get together. That made me realize that I was probably better off with something like the y410p which would trade DPI, battery life, and some portability with decent graphics power while not going crazy insane on a "gaming" notebook.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's Firefox performance like on the 2013 Nexus 7?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've already loaded 4.3 on my 2012 n7 but there was an ota that it picked up today... Anyone have any idea as to what that was for?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Security fixes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know if it's possible to have default browser on the Nexus 7? I bought a bluetooth keyboard and it's pretty sweet so far, except for the fact that there's no default browser on this tablet. Almost all the Android buttons on the keyboard work except for the browser button. I like using Chrome, but I wish they at least included the AOSP browser so there'd be something for the browser button to open.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have default browser on the Nexus 7? I bought a bluetooth keyboard and it's pretty sweet so far, except for the fact that there's no default browser on this tablet. Almost all the Android buttons on the keyboard work except for the browser button. I like using Chrome, but I wish they at least included the AOSP browser so there'd be something for the browser button to open.
I'm...not really sure what you're talking about. Chrome is the default browser on all recent Nexus devices. What is "the browser button"? That's a physical button on your keyboard? It should just fire an intent to open a browser which in this case should be Chrome.

Unless they hardcoded the AOSP browser package name into the keyboard somehow, in which case, whoever made your keyboard is an idiot.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 24, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hmm, looks like it does just want to launch the AOSP browser app. I tried it on my phone and with Chrome set to default, it just opens up the AOSP browser. Oh well, I'll just learn to deal with it. Every other android button works fine. I'm glad it has any android functions at all. Every other bluetooth keyboard I looked at was either for PC or Mac.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cojawfee posted:

Hmm, looks like it does just want to launch the AOSP browser app. I tried it on my phone and with Chrome set to default, it just opens up the AOSP browser. Oh well, I'll just learn to deal with it. Every other android button works fine. I'm glad it has any android functions at all. Every other bluetooth keyboard I looked at was either for PC or Mac.

The way 'default apps' work is by having things called intents, like 'I want to open a http page', and every app that can take care of that business makes itself known when you try to do that. That's how you get a list of apps that pop up, and if you make one the default for that specific intent it gets registered to the app itself. If you want to clear that default you need to go into that app's details and clear the intents it's nabbed.

Point I'm making is that if you've set Chrome as the 'default' then you've assigned it to handle certain intents. If your keyboard is specifically making another browser open, that sounds like the keyboard is sending a different intent, which is registered to the AOSP browser. So maybe try going into the Browser's App Info page and clear any defaults it has. If that doesn't work, something more mysterious is happening...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know how the defaults work. Chrome isn't set as default anything on my tablet (as there are no defaults to clear in its app settings). Chrome is set as default on my phone (as I cleared defaults in the Browser app settings and selected always chrome when I opened a link form an app). The button on the keyboard does nothing on my tablet and opens Browser on my phone. It's clearly sending something that tells the device to open the AOSP Browser APK and not just the default browser.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I dug around a bit and it seems a bit wild and crazy
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1485619
Not exactly the same thing but it looks like it might be related to the keyboard's IME? There's another thread where someone fixed that issue, it looks like it involves rooting and editing the keyboard's APK and changing some hard-coded values. I don't know how that applies to bluetooth keyboards in general, does Android use HID now or not?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think so. The manual mentions that it requires the device be able to use Bluetooth HID.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have a 2013 N7 with a speaker that now rattles and breaks up that I bought from BB when they broke the street date. Who do I annoy about an RMA? BB or Asus?

I have an 2012 to RMA as well for screen lift. Been a weird month.

Edit: BB told me to piss off even though its been under a month. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 24, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Go back to Best Buy and pretend there is nothing wrong with it, get a refund, buy it from somewhere else.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a new Nexus 7. I am going to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket which will allow streaming through my tablet. What do I need to do to get that connected to my TV?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

1st AD posted:

Go back to Best Buy and pretend there is nothing wrong with it, get a refund, buy it from somewhere else.

He's over 14 days.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I have a new Nexus 7. I am going to purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket which will allow streaming through my tablet. What do I need to do to get that connected to my TV?

Best way, if you have a TV with HDMI and USB in is Google's new Chromecast dealie I think.

edit: maybe not, it looks like it only streams a couple of apps right now

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 24, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Hughmoris posted:

You need a MHL adapter, which will plug into the microUSB port and give you a HDMI female plug.

edit: VVV what he said VVV

Geektox fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 25, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Geektox posted:

You need a MHL adapter, which will plug into the microUSB port and give you a HDMI female plug.

The new Nexus 7 uses Slimport, not MHL.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I pulled the trigger and bought a 32g nook hd+ today. The price was right and I'm loving the size. Comics fill the screen perfectly which was my main purpose in buying it over the 2013 N7. It is noticeably slower than my N4, but I expected that going in.

Just waiting to get my 64g sd card before putting cyanogenmod on it, which should give it a slight speed boost.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Barnes and Noble has a deal going on where you get a free $20 gift card when you buy any Nook product:

http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom/2013/08/barnes_noble_get_a_20_bn_gift.html

I'm assuming this means Nook HD and HD+ will be dropping in price again soon.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Cast No Engine posted:

I pulled the trigger and bought a 32g nook hd+ today. The price was right and I'm loving the size. Comics fill the screen perfectly which was my main purpose in buying it over the 2013 N7. It is noticeably slower than my N4, but I expected that going in.

Just waiting to get my 64g sd card before putting cyanogenmod on it, which should give it a slight speed boost.

I got mine yesterday too and I'm really happy with it. I use CM 10.1 though, I haven't even tested the stock OS. The only thing I don't like is the stupid proprietary cable.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please don't be this stupid.

Could you expand on this a bit? It isn't immediately obvious to me why it's a poor decision.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The is with the Nexus 10 is that it ran very poorly. PDF and Epub apps were jittery and hard to use. I wondered if the high-res display was too much for them.

Enable force gpu rendering from dev settings. Then adobe reader runs pdf's at noticeably higher fps. It still takes time for the content to render, but at least reader stops being pos in every aspect.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've got a 1st gen Nexus 7 (are there different generations? I bought this thing about this time last year) and over the weekend I let the battery completely drain. Now it doesn't seem to respond to being plugged in at all. I noticed on Friday or Saturday that there was a system update available, but I don't see how that would be relevant. So the battery died, the thing turned off and now it won't charge or turn on while plugged in. Am I completely boned? This tablet has performed flawlessly since purchase, have not had a single problem with it until now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I've got a 1st gen Nexus 7 (are there different generations? I bought this thing about this time last year) and over the weekend I let the battery completely drain. Now it doesn't seem to respond to being plugged in at all.
The 2012 N7 doesn't like being drained entirely and sometimes does what you are describing. Leave it on charge for eight hours or so, overnight is ideal, and it should come back to life.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is HTC ever going to make another tablet? I really like sense 5 on my HTC one and I would really like to use a modern tablet with it. I have a nexus 10 now but I am probably in the minority here, but I just prefer sense to plain android.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

GutBomb posted:

Is HTC ever going to make another tablet? I really like sense 5 on my HTC one and I would really like to use a modern tablet with it. I have a nexus 10 now but I am probably in the minority here, but I just prefer sense to plain android.

Pretty unlikely. What is it about Sense that you like that additional apps can't accomplish?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Civil posted:

Pretty unlikely. What is it about Sense that you like that additional apps can't accomplish?

The gallery mostly, and superficially I just think it looks pretty, the menus and stuff that don't get themed when using a launcher theme.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I got the new nexus 7 last week and I'm loving it. Dumb question but how do I sign out my gmail account there? There seems to be a lack a tab/button for that.

Edit: Alright I found the user account options and made a guest account there.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 27, 2013

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I dropped my new Nexus 7 in the carpark at work today, totally unprotected, screen down :( I stood there for a few moments, too afraid to pick it up.

LUCKILY the worst it suffered was some damage around the edges (tore up the soft touch stuff pretty bad in one spot). Not a mark on the screen though. Thank the tablet gods. I immediately ordered a cheap TPU case off eBay. That'll teach me for not buying a case at all because they were all too ugly :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got the update for my nexus 7. The touchscreen seems a bit better. I'll see how things go.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, the 2013 N7 is now on sale in a bunch of additional countries including most (all?) of the EU Play stores.

The 3G version is due in Italy and Japan around the middle of September (13th probably) but there's no indication of when it'll show up elsewhere, including the US. Which is a bit odd really.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'll be getting the 2013 Nexus 7 in a few days - any recommendations for good cases?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll be getting the 2013 Nexus 7 in a few days - any recommendations for good cases?
I've got this one and it's fine. The power button is a bit difficult to hit, but it's also difficult even without a case. My only complaint is that I can't charge it via qi with the case on, but I'd imagine that's common to most cases.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5NP1X4/

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Civil posted:

I've got this one and it's fine. The power button is a bit difficult to hit, but it's also difficult even without a case. My only complaint is that I can't charge it via qi with the case on, but I'd imagine that's common to most cases.
My N7 charges through a LG Qi Charger with the case on.

I agree about the power button issue though, but part of it might just be the N7's squishy buttons. It feels pretty good for $9. Nice range of colors too.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Civil posted:

I've got the Portenzo Hardback and dig it: http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

Speaking of that, does anyone know if this thin cardboard case would allow for wireless charging?

Or if they are especially cool, it could probably be simulated by using the cover of a small notebook or a hardcover book and see if the charging can get thru that to a naked Nexus (The HardBack is about the same as my Red&Black notebooks from work, but probably also any standard hardcover book cover as well. I'd like to be able to plop it down on one but don't want to buy one if it wouldn't work.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any UK goons - Amazon have £10 off the new Nexus 7 16Gb at the moment. Not huge savings but better in your pocket than Google's:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any UK goons - Amazon have £10 off the new Nexus 7 16Gb at the moment. Not huge savings but better in your pocket than Google's:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers
Shows as £200 for me...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Schmoli posted:

I've got the Portenzo Hardback and dig it: http://shop.portenzo.com/hardback-for-the-new-nexus-7/

Speaking of that, does anyone know if this thin cardboard case would allow for wireless charging?

I have that case and I can charge through it without trouble.