Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I managed to table top my friend's KTM 300exc into a tree today on Jam at Walker valley. Used the helmet, left elbow pad, and both knee pads in that one; my best score yet! Nothing broke but I am feeling the pain and stiffness set in quickly.

He saw me do it too... "now that you're fine, that was hilarious!" was my encouragement while walking it off.

It's a different world up there when it's not soggy wet out, as well.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took my DRZ trail riding a few weeks ago and finally uploaded some of the video I took. I'm not super fast, but I thought these were the interesting trails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_HTxtfr50

I'm definitely sticking with modern 4 strokes with electric start from now on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I want to stud some tires to run on my sumo on groomed snowmobile trails. Will this work? If so what studs should I buy? I have a set of spare tires that I could mount up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

n8r posted:

I want to stud some tires to run on my sumo on groomed snowmobile trails. Will this work? If so what studs should I buy? I have a set of spare tires that I could mount up.

This will work. Show up very early in the AM after a grooming or good snowmobiling day. Make sure your studs do not interfere with your pipe/swingarm upon compression of the rear shock.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

VTNewb posted:

This will work. Show up very early in the AM after a grooming or good snowmobiling day. Make sure your studs do not interfere with your pipe/swingarm upon compression of the rear shock.

Where should I get the tools/studs?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Check laws and regulations. I don't know how your state does it but it is unlawful to operate wheeled vehicles on our trail systems after first x amount of inches of snow. It will also probably piss everyone on a snowmobile since it ruts up the trails and can make riding very dangerous.

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

Finally put some new rubber on the bike, now i just gotta sell it and find a 450 with electric start, do you guys have any recomendations? its mostly gonna see enduro-trails and maybe a lap on the dirt track once in a while

the chic in psychic fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 3, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

n8r posted:

Where should I get the tools/studs?

I don't know this. I bought trelliborgs five years ago and they still look new. Even after mud races.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

the chic in psychic posted:

Finally put some new rubber on the bike, now i just gotta sell it and find a 450 with electric start, do you guys have any recomendations? its mostly gonna see enduro-trails and maybe a lap on the dirt track once in a while

Any reason why you want to stay on a 450?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

~*my girlfriend*~ reviews the Sherco X-Ride

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/148611

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

~*my girlfriend*~ reviews the Sherco X-Ride

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/148611

Oh poo poo you got friendzoned in the first sentence bro!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Recent riding vid. Mostly just dorky slow stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9uGlw-yWM

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh poo poo you got friendzoned in the first sentence bro!
And he only has 8 hours on a dirtbike! He's been fooling us this whole time.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I'm back in surgery Tuesday to have my knee forcibly bent to regain my range of motion, and also to remove the hardware. gently caress yeah. I'll be on a bicycle within a week of surgery and a dirtbike a week or two after that.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I got my DR350 working and have ridden some in the last 2 weeks. I get tired so quickly but it is fun! I rode some "Jeep Trails" today and apparently that is code for huge ruts and mud pits every 25 feet. I got wore out quick.

Last week I found cool place to ride. It was just simple dirt roads from an failed subdivision project. I wish I had some riding buddies but I have no idea how to find any around here (Raleigh, NC). Any ideas?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Check facebook for groups. Also check for race series, can find a lot of riding buddies there. Also google for dirt forums/bike forums in your area.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Check out what was in my knee for three and a half months. Nickel for scale.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you gone from a supersport / track background to a dirtbike? How was the transition?
$1500 budget - 2 or 4 stroke? Mostly desert - sometimes woods.

i did this. never rode a dirtbike until last year. i was a street rider, turned track rider/club racer. some racing friends were selling an '06 yz50f for $1500. i was already looking for one, and the price was right. transition was fine, i picked it up quicker than i thought. its weird how dirt is the opposite of track. i do a little bit of MX, but i prefer trail riding in the woods and exploring around. not necessarily hauling rear end, just cruising with the occasional 'lets shred this stretch'. i also enjoy getting the bike and myself as dirty as possible. i wanna do more riding and camping at the adventure parks we have around TX.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Where you at in Texas? Ablank just picked up a '03 200EXC and could use someone to ride with. We're talking about meeting up at http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/index.php right in the middle of Tulsa/Houston distance and doing an extended weekend/camp ride possibly in November.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
That place looks awesome! last year we camped and rode at Hidden Falls adventure park, by Austin. It was a blast.

I'm in Houston.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I'm looking into a dual sport and am new to any kind of off road riding. I'm not looking into hill or rock climbing, just looking to get my feet wet on some nice scenic trails. The problem is, and this might sound like a strange question, where do I go? From what I can find, the DNR sanctioned trails in the area are multi-use and don't allow motorcycles. Where am I allowed to go, legally? Can I pick any road on public land? I live in northwest Wisconsin so everywhere I go I see trails leading off in every direction, but I don't want to head down one that's on private land and run into a guy playing a jug and a banjo.

ablank
Jan 31, 2004

Veritas posted:

That place looks awesome! last year we camped and rode at Hidden Falls adventure park, by Austin. It was a blast.

I'm in Houston.

I'm down in Meyerland if ya wanna do some riding. I had been going out to Sugar Hill to ride, but since that closed down, no close areas. Been thinking of doing Sam Houston to check out the trails.

ablank fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 27, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gweenz posted:

I'm looking into a dual sport and am new to any kind of off road riding. I'm not looking into hill or rock climbing, just looking to get my feet wet on some nice scenic trails. The problem is, and this might sound like a strange question, where do I go? From what I can find, the DNR sanctioned trails in the area are multi-use and don't allow motorcycles. Where am I allowed to go, legally? Can I pick any road on public land? I live in northwest Wisconsin so everywhere I go I see trails leading off in every direction, but I don't want to head down one that's on private land and run into a guy playing a jug and a banjo.

With a street legal dualsport you can go down any public road. If you don't see private property, no motor vehicles, or keep out signs, it's generally all good. USFS roads are all fair game, and there are often some trails that branch off the roads. In my area, DNR managed land requires inexpensive access passes so you may want to look into that sort of thing before heading out.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

ablank posted:

I'm down in Meyerland if ya wanna do some riding. I had been going out to Sugar Hill to ride, but since that closed down, no close areas. Been thinking of doing Sam Houston to check out the trails.

oh snaps, i rode sugar hill a few times. good place to go chill and kill a saturday.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Gweenz posted:

Try to find some local forums and see where they go. I could not find anything for dual sports, but then I found a Jeep forum talking about a couple of "gray area" trails here. For example, there is a subdivision development which went bankrupt about 6 years ago, right after they created dirt roads but before paving them, and you can ride there. It is not posted and police even ride by and see people and don't care. I know this is not exactly what you are looking for since it is not explicitly legal, but people have ridden there for 5 years now and I have not seen a single person say they got in trouble.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's similar here for the gray-areas. I've had a deputy kick me out once, saying "I've been kicking people out of here for 8 years..." which carried some "we're not really going to do anything about it but you're being too loud for the neighbors right now" subtext to me.

ablank
Jan 31, 2004

Veritas posted:

oh snaps, i rode sugar hill a few times. good place to go chill and kill a saturday.

There's discussion about it being purchased by a dirt biker that used to ride out there and reopened, but at the moment it's in foreclosure and guards keeping people out.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

ablank posted:

There's discussion about it being purchased by a dirt biker that used to ride out there and reopened, but at the moment it's in foreclosure and guards keeping people out.

so who do you know out there? i think the dude trying to buy it might be one of my CMRA teammates. My teammates are a little crazy, always have something in the works. Brawp Racing, with the big black 'race bus'.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Has anyone ever done any flat track racing?

There is a indoor winter series locally I'm thinking of running this winter.

There looks to be a knobbies class so that would make it a very cheap form of racing. Elsewise I also have a supermoto set and could throw on some spare 160 rains I have if needed.

So technically, I think I'm basically ready to go and mix it up as a zero experience amateur. Just wondering if anyone has given it a go before and has any thoughts. Looks fun as hell.

Trying to figure out how I could maybe sneak in some pre-season practice and all I can come up with is going to one of the big gravel lots in our ORV area and making a oval out of rocks and logs and having a bit of a go.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Even though I've never really raced (I've ridden tracks on practice days), my dad's been flat tracking for about 15 years and I've always been in the pits. He started on a Sportster when he was in his late 30s, so that should tell you how easy it is to get into. Most of the amateur tracks I've been to have had fairly relaxed gear restrictions and schedules, and most of the open/beginner classes never seem full. It shouldn't be hard for you to show up on race day and have fun. I've also seen guys show up on supermotos without changing anything and do well.

If it's an indoor series, I'm assuming the track is well under 1/4 mile, so be prepared to bang into other guys a bit. Probably not a big deal in the lower classes or if you've done any other track riding.

In short, it is fun as hell and it's what Rossi does to practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjI3v58OR8

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm comfortable bashing with people. I've done enduro and motocross and supermoto and road course and and and etc and am eager to give flat track a try. Guess theres nothing else to do but to go and do it.

The indoor course is real short, looks like a 2nd gear affair for most bikes.

Should be a good time. Something to keep the skills sharp in the winter.

ablank
Jan 31, 2004

Veritas posted:

so who do you know out there? i think the dude trying to buy it might be one of my CMRA teammates. My teammates are a little crazy, always have something in the works. Brawp Racing, with the big black 'race bus'.

I know the caretaker out there.

Hit me up on IM (profile), or IRC #bieks

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
My first MX race, 4th of 7 in 250D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfv1olru-k8

Moto 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLDZ99YiZs

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Can wait to watch when I get home. I really want to crosstrain my hare scrambling with Moto X. I started doing J-Day events which are 50/50 and did very well (trophies woO!), but when I got enough points to go to B class I shattered the knee, and anyway I can't hit the huge jumps so I'd get landed on.

I think I'm about to buy a 2014 250 XCf-W without my knee being ready. Is this a bad idea?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

VTNewb posted:

I think I'm about to buy a 2014 250 XCf-W without my knee being ready. Is this a bad idea?

I have a 13 450 and it's just the bees knees. I can't recommend the XC-W enough, or say enough good things about them.

(Get the 350 if you want a 250!)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I have a 13 450 and it's just the bees knees. I can't recommend the XC-W enough, or say enough good things about them.

(Get the 350 if you want a 250!)

Everyone is telling me to skip the 350! Dunno what to do!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
By the way, if you ever considered coming up 6 feet short on a big triple, let me just tell you that its a bad idea. See 3:20 in that first moto.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Zool posted:

By the way, if you ever considered coming up 6 feet short on a big triple, let me just tell you that its a bad idea. See 3:20 in that first moto.

Gettin' rowdy!

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

VTNewb posted:

Everyone is telling me to skip the 350! Dunno what to do!

I have a 350 EXC and with fuel management, exhaust, desmog, gearing, suspension, and a few cheaper tricks it begins to shine. If your riding style relies on lugging the bike down low get the 450. The 350 requires finesse similair to a two stroke but you get paid back in less fatigue after tight tracts.

I would go with the 350xcf if I could do it again in a state with legal riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

Leaving the 2 stroke fold?