Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

agarjogger posted:

My hackintosh laptop can't see its WLAN or WWAN cards. Could a Windows virtual machine see them and share access with the host Mac if connection sharing was supported? Can virtualization give my host computer vicarious access to hardware it otherwise wouldn't have, or do I not understand virtualization? Or does a VM have no access whatsoever to actual hardware.

There are instances where the guest can have direct access to io hardware running on the host by means of vmdirectpath, but things like network devices are typically abstracted by the hypervisor. In your case I don't think virtualization will help. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.
I rolled out vCOps today, it took about 3 hours start to finish. This included reading the installation and user guide.

I also ponied up and took/passed that new VCA cert test for data center virtualization. It took considerably less time.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

warning posted:

I rolled out vCOps today, it took about 3 hours start to finish. This included reading the installation and user guide.

I also ponied up and took/passed that new VCA cert test for data center virtualization. It took considerably less time.
Hahaha are you serious, that quickly? You're like what, VCA #003?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Martytoof posted:

There are instances where the guest can have direct access to io hardware running on the host by means of vmdirectpath, but things like network devices are typically abstracted by the hypervisor. In your case I don't think virtualization will help. Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.

Not surprising, thanks for the answer. It seems that OSX could probably be beaten into using my PCI wwan card after all, since it comes with support for a bunch of devices already including ones by my vendor ID (Sierra Wireless).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SquadronROE posted:

So it looks like in addition to my DBA and Coder hats, I'm rapidly sizing a system administrator hat for fitting. Part of this is trying to figure out how best to handle part-time virtualization of our performance test lab.

Since I barely know the architecture of VMWare/Citrix/Whatever, mostly I've just read the OP and some basic literature, I figured I'd ask the question here:

We have a very hefty performance test lab. We have a DB servers with the following stats:

512GB DDR3
2x Xeon E5-2690
43.6TB Raw storage
8TB SSD storage
10 GB Ethernet adapter

and 2x Web servers (load balanced) with these stats:

16GB DDR3
Xeon E3-1280
200GB

Given this amount of hefty architecture, would there be a way to use a separate server to virtualize the machines onto the existing hardware temporarily? For example, we might want to answer the question "How does running X software at Y workload run on Physical machines vs. virtualized machines?" and we would want to virtualize the OS, etc. for the duration of the test.

Or would it just make more sense to put together a smaller ESXi (or comparable) server that could be used for those specific tests, using a smaller dataset and such?

Got any system monitoring for system load and reports?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

warning posted:

Pfft, I thought this test was free. I'm not going to pay $120 for something so easy.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Serfer posted:

Pfft, I thought this test was free. I'm not going to pay $120 for something so easy.

Is it online or do you have to drag yourself to a testing center?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Moey posted:

Is it online or do you have to drag yourself to a testing center?

It's online, so it's at least got that going for it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Quick question: is CapacityIQ still a separate free product or has it been completely rolled into Ops Manger?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

Quick question: is CapacityIQ still a separate free product or has it been completely rolled into Ops Manger?

Are you talking about Capacity PLanner?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I'm not sure really. Honestly it was a while ago that I messed around with CapacityIQ. It was available as a free VPX which you just deploy in your environment and then hook up to your vCenter server. You could run growth simulations on your current environment to predict when resource shortfalls would occur. Also it had pretty graphs which everyone loves (I know I do).

The first result on Google for CapacityIQ leads to a 404 however if you view the cached version it says that the features in CapacityIQ were rolled into vCenter Operations Management Suite and that CapacityIQ was subsequently forced into EOL.

Edit: bloody auto-URL parsing...

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Serfer posted:

Couple hours ago, I went through the free training for this. And by training, I mean "basically a three-hour VMware ad with no content whatsoever".

Since I have no VMware certs, and don't have the time/resources to get a VCP right now, I might get this to have something that looks good on a resume. Should be dead-simple to pass the exam even with almost no hands-on VMware experience, and the price is right. I'm under no allusions that it's actually worth a drat, though.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

I'm not sure really. Honestly it was a while ago that I messed around with CapacityIQ. It was available as a free VPX which you just deploy in your environment and then hook up to your vCenter server. You could run growth simulations on your current environment to predict when resource shortfalls would occur. Also it had pretty graphs which everyone loves (I know I do).

The first result on Google for CapacityIQ leads to a 404 however if you view the [url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-qsKVzuvmEQJ:https://www.vmware.com/products/vcenter-capacityiq/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au]cached version[/url] it says that the features in CapacityIQ were rolled into vCenter Operations Management Suite and that CapacityIQ was subsequently forced into EOL.

Edit: bloody auto-URL parsing...

Vcops will let you run 'what if' scenarios that sound like it may be what you are after?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I think you are looking for vCenter Operations Manager

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Couple hours ago, I went through the free training for this. And by training, I mean "basically a three-hour VMware ad with no content whatsoever".

Since I have no VMware certs, and don't have the time/resources to get a VCP right now, I might get this to have something that looks good on a resume. Should be dead-simple to pass the exam even with almost no hands-on VMware experience, and the price is right. I'm under no allusions that it's actually worth a drat, though.

I found it a little bit useful in terms of sorting out the hundreds of terms that are used to explain various things, it's all stuff I knew from having used the product but there are worse ways to prove you have a slight clue of what you're talking about. I'm in the same position re:VCP so I'm hoping I can throw this on a resume and end up working somewhere that sees the point in training people. I definitely don't regard it as anything to shout about though.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I have no idea why, but I just logged into Pearson, and during the checkout process this showed up:

quote:

Discount: -60.00 Encourage people to take VCA exam during 2013
A $60 exam is much more palatable than a $120 one, I bet. I don't know why this showed up, if it's available to everyone, but what the hell.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Gah sometimes I hate the area I live in

:v: Hey wanna study some new VMware, stuff?
:) nah too busy

Don't know if it is my age or poo poo but holy gently caress why does no one want to sperg over net/storage/virtualization as I do? I only know like one guy how does, but poo poo how are there not more?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 29, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IT is hard and most people find it incredibly dull or too nerdy. Yet it's vital to almost every single company. In many ways this is a blessing, since now you can draw a very comfortable salary at like 24 years old by being one of the relative few who care to learn about it :v:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

IT is hard and most people find it incredibly dull or too nerdy. Yet it's vital to almost every single company. In many ways this is a blessing, since now you can draw a very comfortable salary at like 24 years old by being one of the relative few who care to learn about it :v:

Sometimes I want to scream and rip my grey hair out telling people vm/network/storage layer protocol.

E: Also this avatar is growing on me, I can't bring myself to change it from Princess Luna, she is just so hhhnnngg.... gently caress

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2013

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Move to the bay area. You will quickly get sick of people talking tech. You can't sit in a coffee shop in Mountain View without hearing 5 different conversations about how great the project at Google is, or how their social start-up is going to change the world. It might even lead you to take up following a sports team, just so you have something else to talk about.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

Move to the bay area. You will quickly get sick of people talking tech.

Never; why would someone grow bored of learning Technology?

I wouldn't mind the ba area but I would need a good offer

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 29, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It sucks so much because they're barely even talking tech, they're 'talking shop' just like pricks on the subway. They're talking about their money and people who are getting in the way of it. It's banned in many places including some cars on my commuter train because it's awful to listen to. Salvos of bullshit have splash damage, and there is nothing more bullshit-laced than the confluence of tech and business. Blame venture capital and Ayn Rand for sucking the life out of it all, I guess.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Never; why would someone grow bored of learning Technology?

Because at some point you get tired of all the "experts" you run into that don't know squat, yet they get promoted or they are the ones who determine what and how you will implement stuff. Being forced to learn certain technologies that you know are a waste of time, but somebody just has to get something done for their review.

It's called be jaded and pessimistic, one reason I love my job now, because I can control what technology I want to learn and what I want to deal with.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DragonReach posted:

Because at some point you get tired of all the "experts" you run into that don't know squat, yet they get promoted or they are the ones who determine what and how you will implement stuff. Being forced to learn certain technologies that you know are a waste of time, but somebody just has to get something done for their review.

It's called be jaded and pessimistic, one reason I love my job now, because I can control what technology I want to learn and what I want to deal with.

I don't understand this. Why would you not want to learn new tech? Seriously I would love to learn all my poo poo to be VCDX by 26 and poo poo, it would be cool to me.

Sorry I just do not understand why people would quit technology/learinging/augmentation...

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Can anyone recommend any primer reading or best practices doco for ESX to HyperV migration?

We are looking at migrating our little 2 node cluster remote sites to HyperV to save a bundle on licensing, and since they only run basic file & print it's not considered a high risk.

I'm most interested in the networking components such as splitting management from vm traffic, links for clustering & live migration, iSCSI, NIC teaming (using either microsoft teaming, or the intel utility) etc.

GrandMaster fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 29, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

agarjogger posted:

It sucks so much because they're barely even talking tech, they're 'talking shop' just like pricks on the subway. They're talking about their money and people who are getting in the way of it. It's banned in many places including some cars on my commuter train because it's awful to listen to. Salvos of bullshit have splash damage, and there is nothing more bullshit-laced than the confluence of tech and business. Blame venture capital and Ayn Rand for sucking the life out of it all, I guess.

Some days I can't even stand to read the front page of Hacker News due to all the startup"founder" idol worship, so glad I don't have to deal with that in person as well where I am. Sorry, this is going super offtopic for the thread.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

I don't understand this. Why would you not want to learn new tech? Seriously I would love to learn all my poo poo to be VCDX by 26 and poo poo, it would be cool to me.

Sorry I just do not understand why people would quit technology/learinging/augmentation...

One example I could think of though, you want to get a VCDX cert, so VMware, what if your boss came in and told you had to now flip over to Hyper-v or Xen instead?

Understanding it isn't really easy, but put simply it can be just plain old "burn out". There are plenty of things I think are cool and I love to learn, but not always the same subjects I did in the past.

Another aspect, there are a ton of people in IT who only did it to make money, they don't have any real drive or passion for the tech. It's a paycheck to them.

DragonReach Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 29, 2013

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

GrandMaster posted:

Can anyone recommend any primer reading or best practices doco for ESX to HyperV migration?

We are looking at migrating our little 2 node cluster remote sites to HyperV to save a bundle on licensing, and since they only run basic file & print it's not considered a high risk.

I'm most interested in the networking components such as splitting management from vm traffic, links for clustering & live migration, iSCSI, NIC teaming (using either microsoft teaming, or the intel utility) etc.

There are a ton of TechNet links on most of those topics, PM me with specfics if you can and I can help out a bit.

One that is a starting point http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831829.aspx

*Disclaimer (I work for MS and am biased)

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

three posted:

It's hard to even get the networking and server teams in the same room for most companies. NSX is super-duper niche. I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require. Don't add complexity for no benefit!

Server virtualization caught on because it was an easy sell. Lowering costs and physical server count is no brainer. Trying to sell "operational efficiencies" to most companies that just don't have the talent in house to pull it off, or even a need for it, is not an easy sell.

I'd say if you have the license for it you should be using a dvSwitch for your VM traffic. It doesn't really add complexity and it's going to make life easier down the road.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

1000101 posted:

I'd say if you have the license for it you should be using a dvSwitch for your VM traffic. It doesn't really add complexity and it's going to make life easier down the road.

It raises vCenter from a non-important management server to a critical service. Have problems with standard vSwitch and break things? Easy to fix. Have problems with dvSwitch and break things? Good luck if you're a novice.

They're making progress with later versions (e.g. 5.1+) with its auto-fixing behavior, but it's still more complex.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

three posted:

It raises vCenter from a non-important management server to a critical service. Have problems with standard vSwitch and break things? Easy to fix. Have problems with dvSwitch and break things? Good luck if you're a novice.

They're making progress with later versions (e.g. 5.1+) with its auto-fixing behavior, but it's still more complex.

This is sort of the thought we had when we deployed our vsphere environment. We licensed the dvswitch but we kept asking ourselves what exactly we needed it for and no one could come up with a good answer. So we left it out

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

three posted:

We went down this road before. We're still on 5.0. We had vCenter crap out when it was sitting on a dvSwitch once. To fix it we ended up having to do some command line fuckery to create a vSwitch, move vCenter over to it. We left vCenter on the vSwitch when we got it back up and plan on keeping it there.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I have no idea why, but I just logged into Pearson, and during the checkout process this showed up:

A $60 exam is much more palatable than a $120 one, I bet. I don't know why this showed up, if it's available to everyone, but what the hell.

As a note I got this line item too. Yay for cheap (and inexpensive) certs!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dvSwitches for everything except management is the way to go afaic.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Hey guys remember when I said vCloud Director didn't have a bright future? :smugdog:

VMware splits vCloud Director into vCenter, vCloud Automation Center

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

dvSwitches for everything except management is the way to go afaic.

Eh, I still keep IP storage on VSS.

three posted:

Hey guys remember when I said vCloud Director didn't have a bright future? :smugdog:

VMware splits vCloud Director into vCenter, vCloud Automation Center

Yeah vcloud is going to go through a good amount of changes, so is vSphere and View, and a bunch of the other VM products.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 29, 2013

May 14, 2003

three posted:

You could shut down your vcenter server for a week if you wanted to and not have to worry about loss of network until a host dies or you want to make a change like creating a virtual machine.

That said there is no such thing as a non-important management server. All of your monitoring ends up going through vcenter server anyway and it should be treated about the same as any other tool you depend on to keep your environment running. Customers/end users may not see it but operations people certainly will.

I end up gaining better link utilization (LBT is great for novice admins) and I gain per switchport policies (much better for security and overall management), persistent port tracking, netflow and SPAN support. I can still use a standard switch for vmkernel/vcenter/major dependencies or I can use ephemeral binding with a vDS for things like VC, SQL and AD and not worry. Either way it's a small amount of additional complexity for getting much better visibility into the network.

re: the vCloud stuff, anyone with developers in-house has a number of reasons to look at vCloud/openstack/AWS. Conceptually the whole self service/completely arbitrary infrastructure is the bit that has a bright future.

three
Aug 9, 2007

1000101 posted:

That said there is no such thing as a non-important management server. All of your monitoring ends up going through vcenter server anyway and it should be treated about the same as any other tool you depend on to keep your environment running. Customers/end users may not see it but operations people certainly will.

I presume you run vCenter Heartbeat in all of your environments then? If not, clearly you don't consider it important.

1000101 posted:

I end up gaining better link utilization (LBT is great for novice admins) and I gain per switchport policies (much better for security and overall management), persistent port tracking, netflow and SPAN support. I can still use a standard switch for vmkernel/vcenter/major dependencies or I can use ephemeral binding with a vDS for things like VC, SQL and AD and not worry. Either way it's a small amount of additional complexity for getting much better visibility into the network.

three posted:

I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require.

May 14, 2003

three posted:

I presume you run vCenter Heartbeat in all of your environments then? If not, clearly you don't consider it important.

Heartbeat, SQL clustering and some automated way of rebuilding vCenter from scratch in under an hour if for whatever reason it dies. All of your VMware monitoring ends up in vcenter server? Why not treat it as a fairly important system?

My personal environment I just use HA with ephemeral port-binding (for vCenter, 1 AD server and my database server) and I can rebuild vCenter from scratch in ~15 minutes but so far it's had less than 10 minutes of vcenter outages in the last 12 months. All of my management vmk interfaces are on a standard switch but every virtual machine sits on the vDS.

That said if your vCenter server is down the only things it impacts during that are creating VMs and being able to vmotion things. You can't really create a VM without vCenter server anyway so it doesn't matter that vCenter is unavailable to deal with assigning a static port binding.

quote:

I don't even think most companies should use the dvSwitch unless there is a feature they require.

Even when I had ~15 virtual machines I still needed visibility into network traffic and some relatively sane means of distributing my VM traffic over multiple links (preferably over multiple physical switches.) Exporting netflow data and being able to wireshark network traffic is tremendously helpful in troubleshooting those "oh it must be VMware" issues that pop up non-stop even today.

Load based teaming is about as simple as you can get and would work with everything from a dlink switch to a nexus 7k without having to depend on configuring port-channels or deal with hashing algorithms.

Essentially the vDS has more positives than negatives as your environment grows and it's worth spending the time to understand how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gah sometimes I hate the area I live in

:v: Hey wanna study some new VMware, stuff?
:) nah too busy

Don't know if it is my age or poo poo but holy gently caress why does no one want to sperg over net/storage/virtualization as I do? I only know like one guy how does, but poo poo how are there not more?

You're young and eager and really into this stuff and there is nothing wrong with that. You're experiencing a period of hyper learning/growth professionally. I did something similar years ago before I got married and had kids. I spent 14 hours a day at work instead of going home to my apartment and was absorbing information at a incredible clip.

Right now though I'm at the point where personally my job usually stops when I leave the building and any time I have outside normal working hours is spent with the family or doing things not related to my job. Just the stage of life I'm at right now. Once the kids are in school I'll have more time for work stuff but I'm not missing these early years of their lives.