Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Awesome pics all around, those birds are just so sleek looking. Any story behind the blood on the tail feathers?
I'm not sure where it's from, but we saw bald eagles hunting in the area so that's a possible cause. They get into some pretty serious territory wars as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Awwww :3:

Fantastic gannet shots. It's a shame you couldn't get close to the puffins, but I love seeing them anyway.

The baby kites at Arcata Marsh have fledged, and are out learning how to hunt for voles (and steal voles from each other). Their favorite hunting grounds happened to be mostly between my setup and the setting sun today, but I'll be back to get more with better light if the good weather holds.

A huge tussle broke out between a harrier and a juvenile kite that had just caught a vole. I'm rendering the footage of it out now, but it mostly took place directly in front of the sun so most of it is unusable for any serious project due to blowouts and a blinded, confused cameraman.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 18, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Those Gannet photos are great. I love the pattern on their face.

Well I'm not much of a photographer so I don't have a lot to add as far as sharing stunning awesome photos, but I am a bird-nerd and am currently researching grassland songbirds for my Master's thesis. I also like to sneak in a little bit of birding on the side.

Here's some photos I took in the last couple of months (Southeast KS, USA)

Olive-sided Flycatcher. I spotted this bird today and it turns out to be a new record for the county.

Common Poorwill. This is a female on eggs. Common Poorwills are not uncommon for my area, but this is the first time one has been documented breeding in the county. So, I got two new bird records this year!

A related fellow - Common Nighthawk. They're so odd looking.

And they let you get quite close.

Summer Tanager

Juvenile Loggerhead Shrike, my favorite bird.

My study bird - Dickcissel

They're usually pretty skittish but these are dumb juveniles :)

Here's my favorite pic from this summer. Incubating Dickcissel female.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Here's the harrier-kite battle. They kept flying in front of the sun and blinding me, so the camerawork is kind of poo poo, but hopefully I'll be able to capture another fight from a different angle and use the portions of this that were in focus and framed well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdq64DhhMF4

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I didn't get really close to puffins, but I did get some pretty good action shots showing the tough life they have:

Processing these types of shots is a pain in the rear end though so I'm just posting this one for now.

razz posted:

but I am a bird-nerd and am currently researching grassland songbirds for my Master's thesis
Wow, I'd love to hear more about what you're researching if you don't mind.

quote:

A related fellow - Common Nighthawk. They're so odd looking.

All great shots, but I'm jealous over this one especially. I saw my first nighthawk this year but he was quite high in the sky. I've been looking for them on the ground/trees ever since without luck. They are a unique looking bird for sure.

Moon Potato posted:

Here's the harrier-kite battle. They kept flying in front of the sun and blinding me, so the camerawork is kind of poo poo, but hopefully I'll be able to capture another fight from a different angle and use the portions of this that were in focus and framed well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdq64DhhMF4
This is just plain awesome. I had no idea a kite was so big. Really great job on this video!

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Got some heron shots this weekend

untitled-172.jpg by MrNickOlson, on Flickr

untitled-185.jpg by MrNickOlson, on Flickr

untitled-192.jpg by MrNickOlson, on Flickr

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

InternetJunky posted:

All great shots, but I'm jealous over this one especially. I saw my first nighthawk this year but he was quite high in the sky. I've been looking for them on the ground/trees ever since without luck. They are a unique looking bird for sure.

Where are you at? They're getting ready for migration right now, and they gather in huge flocks around dusk. I've seen easily 100+ in a flock before. I have noticed them starting to gather but I think it's still a couple weeks before they really start to group up. I see them every day, usually many in a day. I can't drive a mile down a country road here without seeing one (or 4 or 5).

They're really interesting - you can almost see it in that picture, but they have a pectinate toenail - basically one toenail on each foot has a comb on it. It's REALLY super weird up close. Apparently they use it to scrape bugs off their face :)

They are also very under-studied despite being really abundant and having one of the longest migrations of any bird - some nest above the arctic circle and migrate down to central South America.

quote:

Wow, I'd love to hear more about what you're researching if you don't mind.

Sure! I study grassland songbirds on native tallgrass prairie in the Kansas Flint Hills. It's the largest intact tallgrass prairie remaining in North America and very important for grassland-breeding birds (and other grassland species besides birds obviously).

Most of Kansas is privately owned and the Flint Hills are pretty much used exclusively for raising cattle. Ranchers use fire to manage their prairies. I'm looking at the impacts that fire and grazing have on grassland bird demography - namely, how different levels of fire and grazing impact grassland songbird abundance, species richness (how many species are in a given area) and nest success. My focal species is the Dickcissel but I'm also interested in Eastern Meadowlarks, Grasshopper Sparrows, and Henslow's Sparrows.

So I have 9 pastures in my study, and I do bird surveys from early May-mid July, then the rest of the summer we search for nests. We find about 200 nests per year. I am still monitoring 2 nests and when they're done, the project will be over and I'll write my thesis!

Oh, and if you want to know some "duh" results - when the cows eat all the grass, there are less birds there, and also the quality of the nesting habitat decreases for a lot of species :). Really what I'm doing is comparing traditional management practices (burn everything, stock with hella cattle) with a new-ish technique called patch-burn grazing: don't burn the whole pasture and leave some grass for the wildlife. It benefits wildlife AND landowners because they get kickbacks from the government to patch-burn. But, it's harder to implement so lots of landowners are hesitant to do it.

So, it's basically a conservation study. Trying to figure out how we can help declining grassland bird species (they are ALL declining) while keeping the needs of ranchers/landowners in mind.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This is just plain awesome. I had no idea a kite was so big. Really great job on this video!

Thanks. This is just an outtake, though. I was set up to film egrets fishing in the other direction when all this happened, but now that I know where the choice hunting grounds of the juvenile kites are, I can set up properly for it and hopefully catch a fight in its entirety. The juveniles seem to have much longer tail/wing feathers than the adults, so they look a lot bigger than their body size merits.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Went out looking for shorebirds in Chatham, MA.

Laughing Gull by EPICAC, on Flickr

Willet by EPICAC, on Flickr

Semipalmated Plover by Thomas Carlile, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Awesome stuff, glad the trip was a success. You certainly had good weather for it (it's usually poo poo). For the 5 years or so I've been taking pictures, I've probably run into another photographer less than a dozen times (few birders though); this is a really great place to get out and enjoy being alone in the wilderness, as more than 5 people on a trail at any one time is a busy day. All those pics you see of 20+ people with their cameras taking shots of the same thing seems like insanity to me.

I shot this from a ways off with the longest lens I had on me, a Nikon 60/2.8 macro lens, wide open. This is about 100% crop (maybe stronger) and looks great at decent sizes. Lens owns owns owns.

DSC_9437.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

scottch fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 20, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Very pretty owl, there.

I went back to the marsh today, but the juvenile kites were just hanging out near their nest, occasionally screeching at their parents for food.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Some shots from the zoo in Indianapolis.

I have more, but I think six is enough for now.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 21, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

scottch posted:

I shot this from a ways off with the longest lens I had on me, a Nikon 60/2.8 macro lens, wide open. This is about 100% crop (maybe stronger) and looks great at decent sizes. Lens owns owns owns.

Very cool.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pelicans by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Hawk by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Yellowlegs by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Sandhill Cranes by g.hetzel, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

scottch posted:

Awesome stuff, glad the trip was a success. You certainly had good weather for it (it's usually poo poo). For the 5 years or so I've been taking pictures, I've probably run into another photographer less than a dozen times (few birders though); this is a really great place to get out and enjoy being alone in the wilderness, as more than 5 people on a trail at any one time is a busy day. All those pics you see of 20+ people with their cameras taking shots of the same thing seems like insanity to me.

I'm happy to see another Raptor from Newfoundland. My wife and I had our eyes peeled for anything and in our entire trip all we saw were bald eagles among the seabird colonies and two merlins. Do you even have hawks over there?

There is something very calming about this shot. I like it quite a bit.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

InternetJunky posted:

Do you even have hawks over there?

Oh yeah, the ones I see here are usually near higher cliffs, but I'm not sure there's a large number. Ospreys are common too, but growing up on the west coast it seemed like there were more birds of prey there. There's a pretty solid book on our native species, really need to get a copy.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Little wee fantail in the backyard

fantail compilation by Raikyn, on Flickr

Bottled Water
Aug 22, 2008

geese by niteh, on Flickr

bird by niteh, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A Northern Harrier did a flyover last night while I was out looking for shorebirds.

EDIT: I'll just post a link to FredMiranda for a whole series of photos I took of gulls attacking puffins if anyone is interested rather than post them again here -- http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1236442/0

Raikyn posted:

Little wee fantail in the backyard

fantail compilation by Raikyn, on Flickr
That's a pretty cute bird, and the 4-photo layout is great.

What kind of goose is that? It's nice seeing a goose that's not a Canada Goose.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 26, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

:stare:

Also, nice harrier shot. At least in my experience, they really don't like to get close to people or stick around for photo ops, so a shot like that is not easy to get.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Moon Potato posted:

:stare:

Also, nice harrier shot. At least in my experience, they really don't like to get close to people or stick around for photo ops, so a shot like that is not easy to get.
If I took that photo, it'd be half as sharp, the wings would be in an awkward pose, and the underside would be underlit.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

A Northern Harrier did a flyover last night while I was out looking for shorebirds.

EDIT: I'll just post a link to FredMiranda for a whole series of photos I took of gulls attacking puffins if anyone is interested rather than post them again here -- http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1236442/0

Wow- great shots, although it makes me sad about those puffins! I was just going through some bird magazines and found an Audubon or Living Bird issue that had an article on how the puffins in southern Iceland hadn't bred successfully for about 10 years because warming ocean water brought predatory fish farther north that ate all the small fish the puffins feed to their young. They're only part-way through the cycle so they've got many more years of crappy breeding potential.

Bottled Water
Aug 22, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

What kind of goose is that? It's nice seeing a goose that's not a Canada Goose.

I believe they're Cape Barren Geese.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

A boat would be a total waste of time - the pack ice is still land-fast (much like me, at the moment). The nearest belugas might be among the bays on the north shore of Somerset Island (about 50km away), but I think those bays are still ice-filled, too. Bears could be around, but my gun is with my boss at Alexandra Fjord, and there are lots of people who'd be pretty angry at my chunky remains were I to go out for bear regardless.

I'm in the rather frustrating situation of waking up in the morning, having what I think will be my last shower for weeks, then discovering the weather means no flight today, maybe flight tomorrow. That was yesterday and today, tomorrow will be either "fly" or "maybe fly in a bit" or "sorry, no fly today". That "maybe" means more uncertainty, more waiting around where I can be found if the situation improves, and a severe lack of wildlife.

The above post was one of my last uses of the internet before disappearing to the wilderness for two months; I'm back now and I have a mountain of photos to edit, now that I can sit inside a heated building with reliable power. Teaser preview: I saw and took (mediocre) photos of both bears and whales (Polar and Narwal, respectively) while I was at Alexandra Fjord, along with a decent cross-section of the available bird diversity.

Literally 30 seconds after I got off the plane at Alexandra Fjord, two male Long Tailled Ducks (the Guide to Arctic Wildlife I have access to says the name "Oldsquaw" is racist) were chasing a female around and around and around in one of the little ponds a few metres from the cabins.

Duck Courtship in a Pond 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

This is the weirdest shot I got of them - I think one of the males is upside-down under the female as she tries to fly away.

Duck Courtship in a Pond 10 by Execudork, on Flickr

I see the rest of you have been keeping up the amazing quality around here. I only hope the exotic nature of my subjects (most of the birds I shot were either restricted to the Arctic or have distinct breeding plumage only when in the Arctic) can make up for my deficiencies. Seriously, I'm working my way through the last 2 months of photos on a slow satellite connection here and there's just so much awesome in this thread!
Fake edit: Holy poo poo those gannets!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

That's some crazy duck action. :stare:

It's not a Great Horned Owl, but I finally got the shot I've been hoping for!

Ultimate Shot by Icybacon, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whelp, goldmine the thread and start a new one.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The one time I've seen and photographed hummingbirds was on a holiday to St. Lucia. It's remarkable how dainty they are. What did surprise me was how tame they could be. One male in particular would let me get closer than the 1.6m minimum focusing distance of my 100-400 lens.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mr. Despair posted:

whelp, goldmine the thread and start a new one.

So what are the ones we have defecating so far?

Bald Eagle
Great Horned Owl
Hummingbird

A trifecta of perfect poo poo.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have a photo of a Little Owl doing a tub-girl impression which I said I share but forgot to post last time this topic came up.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So what are the ones we have defecating so far?

Bald Eagle
Great Horned Owl
Hummingbird

A trifecta of perfect poo poo.

Rough-legged hawk

Rufous hummingbird

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I want to play too!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This thread. :allears:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I felt guilty that this fellow came over to see me and I had no bread in return for a photo :o:

Bolam Lake - Swans by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
You should feel guilty! No bread means empty stomach, empty stomach means no picture of a swan making GBS threads :(

I remember when I got the shot of a bald eagle defecating - I had been standing in knee-deep snow (forgot the snowshows) for about half an hour waiting for it to do something, it's feathers started to ruffle and I was thinking 'hooray! it's about to take off! time for some action shots!' and I just started taking shots rapidly only to have it stay perched on the branch and squeeze out a poo poo... Anyone else have a similar feeling when that's happened?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

neckbeard posted:

You should feel guilty! No bread means empty stomach, empty stomach means no picture of a swan making GBS threads :(

I remember when I got the shot of a bald eagle defecating - I had been standing in knee-deep snow (forgot the snowshows) for about half an hour waiting for it to do something, it's feathers started to ruffle and I was thinking 'hooray! it's about to take off! time for some action shots!' and I just started taking shots rapidly only to have it stay perched on the branch and squeeze out a poo poo... Anyone else have a similar feeling when that's happened?

I didn't even realize I got my Great Horned poo poo shot until post but same thing. Started to ruffle it's feathers, twitch a little and I'm thinking "Yessssss take off shot mash shutter button!". He just stood there the entire time so I left.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
You guys are great, posting a making GBS threads hummingbird because of the thread title.

Jackson County, MI by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This is now my second favorite thread on SA.

Have a pelican.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Rather than another shot of something going out, here`s a sequence of something going in:

vvv as requested

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 29, 2013

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yeah, pretty sure you owe us version of that GIF in reverse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Dang, somewhere I have some 250fps video of a sage-grouse pooping. Also, mating with a cowpie.